Our Starting Rotation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Our Starting Rotation

I know our starters have begun to turn things around a bit after the bad start, but here's a look at the numbers after 4 innings of today's game:

Starter ERA: 4.97
    Starter WHIP: 1.450
    Count the 19 HBP: 1.500

Take Beckett's numbers away:
    Starters 2-5:
    ERA:    5.09
    WHIP: 1.513

Take away Beckett and Lester:
    Starters 3-5:
    ERA: 5.20
    WHIP: 1.544

Take away Beckett, Lester & Doubront:
    Starters 4-5
    ERA: 5.61
    WHIP: 1.606

What a great improvement over Timmy Wakefield!
    ERA: 5.12
    WHIP: 1.358

Buch seems to have turned it around, but upgrading our 5th starter seems to be the best way to make the biggest impact on improving this team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Re: Our Starting Rotation

Your baseball knowledge is as empty as your skull.

You're a bad drive-by drivel droning toll who is nothing more than a flaming mental midget.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

i dont think a better number 5 pitcher is what this team needs. we have enough moediocre pitchers. what this team needs is an ace. because not one pitcher on this staff is one. beckett and lester are 2's, buchholz is a 4, and doubront is a 4/5. If the want to make the playoffs this year 2 things will have to happen, 1) injured players need to come back soon and come back strong 2) we need to make a big splash in the trade market and land an ace. i would go all in for felix hernandez, put all the chips on the table.

It's very hard to land a true ace without mortgaging a lot of your future and then paying him $20M/yr for X amount of years therby limiting budget expenditures at the same time you have no farm left to replenish the holes that occur as the years go by.

I am not for replacing our 5th starter with a good 4th starter. I'd love to replace him with a solid #1 starter, but I am trying to be realistic in asking for a solid #2/3 type. I think it is possible to win with 3 top #2 types and Buch/Doubront as the 4/5's. I don't want to trade the future for 1 2 month rental either, but that will cost extra. 

We'll have to make some tough choices, such as parting with Bard, Middlebrook or Lavarnway along with Iggy or Bogaerts, Ranaudo and Cecchini (if we keep Middlebrooks).

I'd like to see us start trading guys that will be FAs this winter pretty soon for prospects. Build up the farm as best we can, and then make a big push for a stud pitcher.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

How about this rotation:

1)  Clemens
    2)  John Dopson
    3)  Greg Harris
    4)  Joe Hesketh
    5)  Danny Darwin

with Quantrill, Ken Ryan, Jeff Russell, and Tony Fossas kicking it up in the pen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Absurd to deal everyday MLB player talent like Middlebrooks et al for some starter bum who'll get lit up in in Boston and then end up like the bum, John Lackey.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Explain why for 689 threads you started claiming our 5/6th starter was the main reason we were losing (well, that and our back-up catcher too), and now that our 5th starters have an ERA over 5.50, it's all about the hitting?

No, don't bother. It will all be gobbleddegoop anyways.

Sections
Shortcuts