Our story thus far

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from upperco1. Show upperco1's posts

Re: Our story thus far

Just to put things in a better perspective Summer. On the morning of May 14, in 1967 The sox were 3 games below .500 ......... We are now 4 games below .500 in 2012 so enjoy the ride

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

In Response to Re: Our story thus far:
    [QUOTE]Just to put things in a better perspective Summer. On the morning of May 14, in 1967 The sox were 3 games below .500 ......... We are now 4 games below .500 in 2012 so enjoy the ride
    Posted by upperco1[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

Cool

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beijingcb. Show Beijingcb's posts

Summer

I have followed posts here the past couple of years. I dont write often but I have never before read such an eloquent post showing us all that baseball is just a game, albeit a beautiful one giving us the opportunities to share quality time with sons and daughters, friends and even now an then sensible fans from other teams even though no other team comes even close to the Red Sox.

Thank you - made me feel much better than most of the aggressive "get rid of this or that guy regardless of the cost or it is all Theo's fault".

Enjouy the game!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

We are just a few days away from a point where we will be able to tell if the Red Sox can right the ship and make the playoffs.

Doesn't look good now but wait. Just wait. Give it a few more days. The Yankees stunk in 2009 until Mid-May, when they turned on their afterburners and won the whole shebang.  

So wait. The same could happen here.

Um, or not.

But even if it does not, please!  No jumping off the ledge!  No swan dives from the Zakim bridge. This team is not worth that; nothing is, in fact.

I am going to give all of you some advice, and it is worth what you just paid for it.

Enjoy the season.

That's right. Enjoy it for what it is: a journey through time with your fellow humans.

Fellow humans like Andrew Mitch?  Oh boy, Summer, you really raised a difficult challenge there.

Stop drinking Red Bull for breakfast. No more listening to WEEI on the way to work and spitting bullets into your morning coffeee.  

No more yelling at Josh Beckett. John Lackey? Who he?  A sad case of anger management gone awry.  All the money in the world, with personal issues, family isses, and half of Red Sox Nation wanting to lop off his head. He's the lucky, rich one. Right?

You tell 'em, Summer!  Every multi-millionaire is entitled to their day off on the golf links.  Lat muscles be damned.  

I bet if he could trade the contract and the money for a healthy family and peace of mind, he would do it. 

Mike Kekich and Fritz Peterson tried that out in the 70s.  I'm not sure it worked out so well for Kekich, although Peterson is still married to Kekich's ex.  

Would you? 

I never thought of this as a mutually exclusive proposition (the contract and money for healthy family and peace of mind swap, not the aforementioned wife swap) unless you believe in sort of a reverse Faust.

So stop obsessing about the people places and things that you cannot change.

Good idea.  I'll start obsessing about the people places and things I can change instead.  

Which brings us to my take on the season so far. Now, pay attention because there will be a quiz later.

Hold on.

Wait. It's coming.

Okay, here it is.

It doesn't matter. 

I will say it again: It doesn't matter.

Stop whining. Do something else this summer. Take a vacation. Talk to your spouse about a private little getaway and then make sure the both of you get away.  

Very presumptuous, Summer.  Maybe your spouse needs to get away.  From you, that is.  Or vice-versa.  Spending too much time together in some private little getaway may make you pine for the moments when you use the Red Sox and the chatboard as your convenient distraction and getaway.  

Maybe take the kids. Hug them every day.  Marvel at their resilience and their capacity to laugh.  You can learn a lot from your spouse and kids. So what are you waiting for?  Learn something from them.

I've learned that they don't like to be hugged.

And while you are at it, take a fresh look at baseball, and at the young players in the farm system.   Get to the park early some day, and walk around during BP.  And don't just listen to the sounds of baseball - hear them as well.

If you're waxing poetic, I thought it was the other way around.  Hearing is involuntary, and listening is voluntary.  And speaking of the subtle sounds of baseball, it's hard to focus in on them when they're blasting "Sweet Caroline" from the speakers.  They really don't leave me any other choice than to wait for my cue to go "Bom, Bom, Bom."  Good times never felt so good, "So good, so good, so good,"  eh Summer?

Me? I like to listen to the ball strike the bat, or hear the ball go 'thwap' into a catcher's glove with a pop that makes your head spin around as you say, "Whoa! That...that was a fastball!" 

Do me a favor. No, do yourself a favor. Hike up to Portland to catch a Sea Dogs game instead of going to Fenway. Watch those young hungry kids do the simple things that so few of us can do so well. Again, as Crash Davis says in Bull Durham: "It's a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball. Simple." Ah, but if it is so simple, how come so few of us can do it at all?

Yes, go to Portland, or Pawtucket, and sit in the stands under an August moon; feel the warm breeze against the back of your neck and take a deep breath. Exhale slowly. Time will stand stil and, darn if you hear your heartbeat. Open your eyes, and say, "This is enough. I am enough. The love of my life and my children: they are enough. Life is good."  

And somewhere around the fourth inning, the shortstop will take a pick from deep in the hole, then pivot in mid-air and fire to first for a bang-bang play that the umpire calls an...calls an...out! 

Maybe the umpire will get that call wrong and that'll nullify the tieing run that ultimately costs your team the game.

One hundred years from now, your progeny will take their children -- your descendants -- to a baseball game under a moonlit sky with a thousand diamond specks above third base, and say the same thing. Be a part of this mystery, this narrative without end. 

I thought you said earlier that it didn't matter.

Or it will pass you by, and you will miss the most important part: its baffling, brilliant mix of hope and stability and peace, mixed with athleticism, grace and power.

Or you may miss the only opportunity to buy your fidgety child some overpriced blue cotton candy that will cost you two weeks' pay for the filling it removes.

"What a piece of work is a man, how noble in reason, how
    infinite in faculties, in form and moving how express and
    admirable, in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like
    a god! the beauty of the world, the paragon of animals..."

Very disingenuous, Summer.  You only shared the upbeat part of that soliloquy.  Here's what follows: 
    and yet,
    to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me—
    nor woman neither, though by your smiling you seem to say so. 

Ya see, the sililoquoy ends on a sour note.  Nevermind what a mess the tragic, noble procrastinator made by the end of the play.  

Baseball.

Remember - the game itself is its own curative. As Annie Savoy says in Bull Durham: "Walt Whitman once said, 'I see great things in baseball. It's our game, the American game. It will repair our losses and be a blessing to us.' You could look it up."

Baseball, not the Red Sox, will be our blessing and repair our losses.

Enjoy the season.

You earlier suggested that we ignore it.  Make up your mind, dude!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]Summer I have followed posts here the past couple of years. I dont write often but I have never before read such an eloquent post showing us all that baseball is just a game, albeit a beautiful one giving us the opportunities to share quality time with sons and daughters, friends and even now an then sensible fans from other teams even though no other team comes even close to the Red Sox. Thank you - made me feel much better than most of the aggressive "get rid of this or that guy regardless of the cost or it is all Theo's fault". Enjouy the game!
    Posted by Beijingcb[/QUOTE]

You are too kind, cb. Thanks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]We are just a few days away from a point where we will be able to tell if the Red Sox can right the ship and make the playoffs. Doesn't look good now but wait. Just wait. Give it a few more days. The Yankees stunk in 2009 until Mid-May, when they turned on their afterburners and won the whole shebang.   So wait. The same could happen here. Um, or not. But even if it does not, please!  No jumping off the ledge!  No swan dives from the Zakim bridge. This team is not worth that; nothing is, in fact. I am going to give all of you some advice, and it is worth what you just paid for it. Enjoy the season.   That's right. Enjoy it for what it is: a journey through time with your fellow humans. Fellow humans like Andrew Mitch?  Oh boy, Summer, you really raised a difficult challenge there. Stop drinking Red Bull for breakfast. No more listening to WEEI on the way to work and spitting bullets into your morning coffeee.   No more yelling at Josh Beckett. John Lackey? Who he?  A sad case of anger management gone awry.  All the money in the world, with personal issues, family isses, and half of Red Sox Nation wanting to lop off his head. He's the lucky, rich one. Right? You tell 'em, Summer!  Every multi-millionaire is entitled to their day off on the golf links.  Lat muscles be damned.   I bet if he could trade the contract and the money for a healthy family and peace of mind, he would do it.  Mike Kekich and Fritz Peterson tried that out in the 70s.  I'm not sure it worked out so well for Kekich, although Peterson is still married to Kekich's ex.   Would you?   I never thought of this as a mutually exclusive proposition (the contract and money for healthy family and peace of mind swap, not the aforementioned wife swap) unless you believe in sort of a reverse Faust. So stop obsessing about the people places and things that you cannot change. Good idea.  I'll start obsessing about the people places and things I can change instead.   Which brings us to my take on the season so far. Now, pay attention because there will be a quiz later. Hold on. Wait. It's coming. Okay, here it is. It doesn't matter.  I will say it again: It doesn't matter. Stop whining. Do something else this summer. Take a vacation. Talk to your spouse about a private little getaway and then make sure the both of you get away.   Very presumptuous, Summer.  Maybe your spouse needs to get away.  From you, that is.  Or vice-versa.  Spending too much time together in some private little getaway may make you pine for the moments when you use the Red Sox and the chatboard as your convenient distraction and getaway.   Maybe take the kids. Hug them every day.  Marvel at their resilience and their capacity to laugh.  You can learn a lot from your spouse and kids. So what are you waiting for?  Learn something from them. I've learned that they don't like to be hugged. And while you are at it, take a fresh look at baseball, and at the young players in the farm system.   Get to the park early some day, and walk around during BP.  And don't just listen to the sounds of baseball - hear them as well. If you're waxing poetic, I thought it was the other way around.  Hearing is involuntary, and listening is voluntary.  And speaking of the subtle sounds of baseball, it's hard to focus in on them when they're blasting "Sweet Caroline" from the speakers.  They really don't leave me any other choice than to wait for my cue to go "Bom, Bom, Bom."  Good times never felt so good, "So good, so good, so good,"  eh Summer? Me? I like to listen to the ball strike the bat, or hear the ball go 'thwap' into a catcher's glove with a pop that makes your head spin around as you say, "Whoa! That...that was a fastball!"  Do me a favor. No, do yourself a favor. Hike up to Portland to catch a Sea Dogs game instead of going to Fenway. Watch those young hungry kids do the simple things that so few of us can do so well. Again, as Crash Davis says in Bull Durham: "It's a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball. Simple." Ah, but if it is so simple, how come so few of us can do it at all? Yes, go to Portland, or Pawtucket, and sit in the stands under an August moon; feel the warm breeze against the back of your neck and take a deep breath. Exhale slowly. Time will stand stil and, darn if you hear your heartbeat. Open your eyes, and say, "This is enough. I am enough. The love of my life and my children: they are enough. Life is good."     And somewhere around the fourth inning, the shortstop will take a pick from deep in the hole, then pivot in mid-air and fire to first for a bang-bang play that the umpire calls an...calls an...out!  Maybe the umpire will get that call wrong and that'll nullify the tieing run that ultimately costs your team the game. One hundred years from now, your progeny will take their children -- your descendants -- to a baseball game under a moonlit sky with a thousand diamond specks above third base, and say the same thing. Be a part of this mystery, this narrative without end.  I thought you said earlier that it didn't matter. Or it will pass you by, and you will miss the most important part: its baffling, brilliant mix of hope and stability and peace, mixed with athleticism, grace and power. Or you may miss the only opportunity to buy your fidgety child some overpriced blue cotton candy that will cost you two weeks' pay for the filling it removes. "What a piece of work is a man, how noble in reason, how infinite in faculties, in form and moving how express and admirable, in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god! the beauty of the world, the paragon of animals..." Very disingenuous, Summer.  You only shared the upbeat part of that soliloquy.  Here's what follows:  and yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me— nor woman neither, though by your smiling you seem to say so.   Ya see, the sililoquoy ends on a sour note.  Nevermind what a mess the tragic, noble procrastinator made by the end of the play.   Baseball. Remember - the game itself is its own curative. As Annie Savoy says in Bull Durham: "Walt Whitman once said, 'I see great things in baseball. It's our game, the American game. It will repair our losses and be a blessing to us.' You could look it up." Baseball, not the Red Sox, will be our blessing and repair our losses. Enjoy the season. You earlier suggested that we ignore it.  Make up your mind, dude!
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas[/QUOTE]

Aw, Sheriff. You were asking me to make sense. That's too much to ask!  But thanks for the ping back, friend.

I'm still your deputy, right?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Thought this beautiful post that should be printed somewhere IMO deserved a bump. I think it would be great if we kept bumping it up (with comments of course so it's not removed). Far more eloquent than the threads that are bumped up continuously for no reason.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]Thought this beautiful post that should be printed somewhere IMO deserved a bump. I think it would be great if we kept bumping it up (with comments of course so it's not removed). Far more eloquent than the threads that are bumped up continuously for no reason.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

You are too kind, Kim.  Again, many thanks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Our story thus far : You are too kind, Kim.  Again, many thanks.
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

My pleasure. More posters should get a chance to read it. Smile

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Our story thus far : My pleasure. More posters should get a chance to read it.

You should post more yourself. Or don't you have the time?

I envy some people on this board with 10,000 posts in three years and here I am, been hanging around since 2004, and I am barely over 3,400.

(Clever way to bump my own post, huh?)  Cool

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Our story thus far : You should post more yourself. Or don't you have the time? I envy some people on this board with 10,000 posts in three years and here I am, been hanging around since 2004, and I am barely over 3,400. (Clever way to bump my own post, huh?) 
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE] yeah, you shameless self-promoter you..Tongue out...great OP Summer..Cool

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Our story thus far : yeah, you shameless self-promoter you.. ...great OP Summer..
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

I've been reading up on the subject, jete...

And I STILL don't understand.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Our story thus far : You should post more yourself. Or don't you have the time? I envy some people on this board with 10,000 posts in three years and here I am, been hanging around since 2004, and I am barely over 3,400. (Clever way to bump my own post, huh?) 

It's quality, not quantity, Summer! Some posters with large numbers are quality posters, others...eh. lol

And your bump was a well-deserved quality post, IMO, by one of the gentleman of the board. Smile

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Our story thus far : yeah, you shameless self-promoter you.. ...great OP Summer..
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

LOL, Jete. Wink

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

I hardly ever post....so there....very nice.  This coming from a guy that played Babe Ruth ball on the very field where the Seadogs play, but some 35 or so years ago.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]I hardly ever post....so there....very nice.  This coming from a guy that played Babe Ruth ball on the very field where the Seadogs play, but some 35 or so years ago.
    Posted by never1954[/QUOTE]

Thanks, never. Love Portland. Great town. May retire there. I know, I should go someplace warm.

But after living in New York for so long, I think going back to New England would be near perfect.

But I digress.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Our story thus far : It's quality, not quantity, Summer! Some posters with large numbers are quality posters, others...eh. lol And your bump was a well-deserved quality post, IMO, by one of the gentleman of the board.

Not so sure about the quality of my posts, Kim, especially some of those missives from 2004 and 2005 where I really was unkind to Theo. Lucchino, no, but Theo, yes.

Then again, I remember being very unkind to a Yankees fan - no, fan is too kind a word. He was a troll.

I said he smelled bad.  I don't know how I could tell that from his blog posts, but I did!

I also reminded him that Dave Roberts was safe.  And will always BE safe.

Then last September happened and I - we - lost the moral high ground when it comes to needling the opposition for choking.

I do wax poetic and I think I give moon more than a few head-scratching moments when I try to use data, but I do mean well.

You are very sweet, Kim.  I may post more often just to impress you!

Cool

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Our story thus far : Not so sure about the quality of my posts, Kim, especially some of those missives from 2004 and 2005 where I really was unkind to Theo. Lucchino, no, but Theo, yes. Then again, I remember being very unkind to a Yankees fan - no, fan is too kind a word. He was a troll. I said he smelled bad.  I don't know how I could tell that from his blog posts, but I did! I also reminded him that Dave Roberts was safe.  And will always BE safe. Then last September happened and I - we - lost the moral high ground when it comes to needling the opposition for choking. I do wax poetic and I think I give moon more than a few head-scratching moments when I try to use data, but I do mean well. You are very sweet, Kim.  I may post more often just to impress you!

Anything you said, I'm sure was warranted. And last season was a collapse, like the Braves, I believe, (with less fanfare). The biggest choke will always be the biggest choke unless it's repeated. (And I did mean "repeated".) Wink
    Ftr, I can't imagine what it would be like to post in Moon's thread with my "stats". lol Stats and me aren't actually a good fit. I like to go with my heart and my head/gut. I created a thread saying Wake would beat King Felix, after Sox losses that everyone was so upset about. Stats would have proven me wrong. With all due respect to stats, in baseball, there are still some magic moments that can't be explained. I could say more, but I won't.

And you've already impressed me, Summer. I think if you posted more, it may impress the board as well, but I'm sure they already feel the same way. I am looking foward to more posts from you. Smile

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Our story thus far : Anything you said, I'm sure was warranted. And last season was a collapse, like the Braves, I believe, (with less fanfare). The biggest choke will always be the biggest choke unless it's repeated. (And I did mean "repeated".) Ftr, I can't imagine what it would be like to post in Moon's thread with my "stats". lol Stats and me aren't actually a good fit. I like to go with my heart and my head/gut. I created a thread saying Wake would beat King Felix, after Sox losses that everyone was so upset about. Stats would have proven me wrong. With all due respect to stats, in baseball, there are still some magic moments that can't be explained. I could say more, but I won't. And you've already impressed me, Summer. I think if you posted more, it may impress the board as well, but I'm sure they already feel the same way. I am looking foward to more posts from you.

Then I should try to find the time to post more. Always enjoyed it. Always enjoy your comments too, Kim.

See you on the flip side, as we used to say in radio.Wink

Sections
Shortcuts