Out of Options

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: Out of Options

In response to djcbuffum's comment:

According to mlbtraderumors, the following players on the Sox 40-man are out of options:

Felix Doubront

Andrew Miller

Franklin Morales

Clayton Mortensen

Pedro Ciriaco

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/02/out-of-options-2013.html

Four are pitchers, only one position player.

Miller and Mortensen will have to perform consistently well to avoid waivers.  One lousy month, or 4-5 consecutive lousy appearances, and either of them will be put on waivers.  I can't see Morales or Duberont put on waivers before August, and then only if they really stink it up all year.  Duberont in particular, is more likely to get a DL trip with a phony strain than be put on waivers.

Ciriaco is the interesting case.  First, I'm surprised he's out of options.  WHere was he before 2012?  I thought he pretty much came up in 2012 and stayed up.  When were his options used up?  (How many options does a player have to begin with anyhow?)  

Ciriaco won't be placed on waivers unless the Sox trade for an upgrade.  So even if he's futzing around at .233 BA or whatever, we're stuck with him.  I suppose of Boegarts gets promoted to AAA and is tearing it up for 2-3 months, we might see him brought up for the end of the season and Ciricaco let go; but in September with the expanded roster, that would be unnecesary, since they both could stay.  So Ciriaco stays unless the Sox trade for an upgrade.

Mortenson is the only one on the list of any concern who's likely competing with Bard who still does have options...Morales, Miller & Doubront are locks to make the roster. Ciriaco likely is penciled in as our super utility guy and FYI he came up with the Pirates and spent time on thier big league roster....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Pedro Ciriaco is 27 years old (28 in September) and has been a professional baseball player since 2005,  with the Arizona and Pitttsburgh organizations.  The reason the Sox were able to sign him last year is that he was also out of options then as well...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Mortensen seems like the odd man out, even with a really nice season behind him.  I think Bailey should be traded, but it will take at least a month or two to re-establish his trade value.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Pedro Ciriaco is 27 years old (28 in September) and has been a professional baseball player since 2005,  with the Arizona and Pitttsburgh organizations.  The reason the Sox were able to sign him last year is that he was also out of options then as well...

To be precise, I believe the Red Sox used Pedro Ciriaco's third and final option when the Sox sent Ciriaco down to Pawtucket following his impressive Spring Training last year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They will probably not DFA any of these guys: they will make a trade or be creative with the DL instead.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

For some reason, I thought Andrew Miller was gone. Sorry Andrew. Glad to hear he's still around. I think he can be very effective pitcher. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Mortensen seems like the odd man out, even with a really nice season behind him.  I think Bailey should be traded, but it will take at least a month or two to re-establish his trade value.

There's still lots of time between now and the start of the year. While I like Mortenson if he's a casualty of excess it's not that big a deal. His roster spot depends on his earning it in camp first and foremest and how they view guys like Tazawa? Is he a lock for the pen or do they stretch him out and have him start the year @ AAA to serve as organizational depth? They currently have 14 or 15 legit 25 man roster pitchers in camp...whittling that down to 12 could be as simple as sending Tazawa & Bard to AAA. If you also factor in the inevitable pitcher or two starting the year on "DL" the final 12 will work itself out...

Aceves still seams intent on getting traded based on his most recent episodes in camp. If I'm Farrel I'd sit him down with Nieves as the interpetor and spell it out in plain spanish...I'm the new sherif in town and if you don't tow the line...I'll bury your azz at the back of the bench and you can spend the entire year pitching in mop up situations.

actually, Aceves has an option left SOOOOO if Farrell really wanted to he could send him to AAA. Doubtful Aceves accepts though.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

While Mortensen walked too many batters last year, he had one of the best H/9 rates on the team and a WHIP of about 1.2 (his career best). He's not a "throw-away" pitcher. He's got 2 pre-arb low cost years before 3 arb years. That's 5 low cost years of team control. He'll be 28 soon, and his prime years could be very nice.

We'll find a way to keep everybody, and if not, we'll make a trade. These guys won't be DFA'd.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

It would be interesting to see the Bullpen Depth Chart for that part of the team.

See where Aceves and Mort and Miller fall. See BenC's chart abd John H's.

I hope Tazawa puts pressure on the GM and Mgr. and pitches the way he did the last two months of last season. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Triumph-'s comment:

oh....i thought this was about pike's screen names...

Not every single thread and every single conversation needs to be about Pike.  There are basically three easy options you are ignoring.

• Ignore
    • Ignore
    • Ignore

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

actually, Aceves has an option left SOOOOO if Farrell really wanted to he could send him to AAA. Doubtful Aceves accepts though.

The thing about options, is that acceptance is not a choice.  I would tell Aceves that, if he acts out one more time,  I'll drop him into AAA, give Mortensen his role, and not think twice about it.  And that the next time anyone hears his name mentioned, it will be for the Rule 5 draft.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Red Sox options list (courtesy of SoxProspects):

http://wiki.soxprospects.com/Player+Options

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

soxprospects.com has Aceves with one option left with no right to opt for free agency if he is not claimed on waivers. Chances are he would be claimed by someone, but it's not up to Aceves.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Players with options are not exposed to waivers. .

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Players with options are not exposed to waivers. .

I thought so too, but soxprospects has this written:

^ indicates player may be assigned outright to the minors, without the right to elect free agency, if he is designated for assignment and clears waivers

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

obvious disregard for moons last post i see.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

^ indicates player may be assigned outright to the minors, without the right to elect free agency, if he is designated for assignment and clears waivers

Here is my understanding of that statement, though I may well be wrong. Aceves has one option remaining, and less than 5 years of MLB service. Therefore if the Sox choose to send him to the minors, they can do so by exercising Aceves' last option, and Aceves would not have to clear waivers. Aceves would stay on the 40 man roster, and he could readily be called back up after 10 days.

Alternatively, if the Sox had no intention of calling him back up, or if they wanted to clear a spot on the 40 man roster, instead of exercising an option, they could DFA him. It's in the case of him being DFA'd that he would have to clear waivers first. He is automatically removed from the 40 man roster when DFA'd. If he does clear waivers, he would be assigned outright to the minors with no rights to opting for free agency instead.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Here is my understanding of that statement, though I may well be wrong. Aceves has one option remaining, and less than 5 years of MLB service. Therefore if the Sox choose to send him to the minors, they can do so by exercising Aceves' last option, and Aceves would not have to clear waivers. Aceves would stay on the 40 man roster, and he could readily be called back up after 10 days.

Alternatively, if the Sox had no intention of calling him back up, or if they wanted to clear a spot on the 40 man roster, instead of exercising an option, they could DFA him. It's in the case of him being DFA'd that he would have to clear waivers first. He is automatically removed from the 40 man roster when DFA'd. If he does clear waivers, he would be assigned outright to the minors with no rights to opting for free agency instead.

Finally, an explanation I can understand.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

obvious disregard for moons last post i see.....

All I said was what soxprospects had written, and the clown can't even comprehend that.

24. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts