Outfield Depth Chart

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Outfield Depth Chart

I wanted to get the opinions of everyone out there. Given the number of OF's on the DL, there are going to be some DFA's not only soon, but more when (and if) Ellsbury and Crawford come back. 

If you were to look at the outfielders currently on the roster:

Nava
    Byrd
    Podsenik
    Lin
    Ross (DL)
    Sweeney (DL)
    McDonald (DL)

If I were to prioritize those 7 names, my order would be:
    Ross
    Sweeney
    Nava
    Byrd
    Podsenik (maybe too early, but regardless a better option than DMac)
    DMac
    Lin

I keep reading that Dmac is going to be ready soon and he will probably replace Lin one he returns, but when Ross and Sweeney come back, I can't see Dmac
    being on this team any longer.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Outfield Depth Chart

Byrd, Podsednik, Nava, Lin were the *fill-ins*...DMAC is a big favorite of BV, so I'm not sure he's done as a Sox yet. Byrd has been a terrific hustler. Ross and Sweeney were always part of the plan, and I think both have done a very good job. Podsednik is the guy that to me I'd keep in that reserve role. He's got some very good tools still and if he can cover ground like he used to with Chitown, he's a keeper. I don't see Nava sticking around, or Lin. Also factor in the Middlebrooks/Youks and putting AGON in RF dilemma. I'd rather the Sox have Sweeney, Ross, Podsednik, Byrd if you go by depth chart and while Ellsbury, CC are still rehabbing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Ellsbury and CC aren't rehabbing, they are rehashing.

Since Manny aged out, the OF construction is the manifest fatal flaw.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

hank, I've never counted on CC...before he became a Sox, after he became a Sox, and now that he's become an all-time wasted salary joke.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

And you also should never count on Ellsbury, who is seeking to become an ever bigger all-time salary joke.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

To avoid re-injure themselves, Sox need to carry 2 OFs and split some playing times among them.  Nava and Sweeney are my guys to remain in the bigs.  CC, Ells, Ross, Nava, and Sweeney. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Question: Can Pods be moved freely back and forth between AAA and MLB?

Lin is first to AAA when Sweeney comes back.  I'd like to see Nava stick around for a while ... he has consistently had a fantastic OBP/walk rate which should level his performance out when he isn't picking up those doubles and occasional homerun.  I suspect they'll put DMac back on the roster at the expense of Nava which I will hate even if it is temporary.  In my mind, DMac will easily clear waivers so they should be able to stock him back in AAA for extra depth.  I loved what DMac did for us back in 2010, but I think he's shown us all he has and don't think he's worth the roster spot.  Nava is never going to appear in an all-star game, but I think he has a legitimate shot at landing on someone's 25 man roster and maybe even seeing some time as a starter if his D isn't as horrible as it looked in 2010 and he can hit a decent number of XBH.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Re: Outfield Depth Chart:
    [QUOTE]Question: Can Pods be moved freely back and forth between AAA and MLB? Lin is first to AAA when Sweeney comes back.  I'd like to see Nava stick around for a while ... he has consistently had a fantastic OBP/walk rate which should level his performance out when he isn't picking up those doubles and occasional homerun.  I suspect they'll put DMac back on the roster at the expense of Nava which I will hate even if it is temporary.  In my mind, DMac will easily clear waivers so they should be able to stock him back in AAA for extra depth.  I loved what DMac did for us back in 2010, but I think he's shown us all he has and don't think he's worth the roster spot.  Nava is never going to appear in an all-star game, but I think he has a legitimate shot at landing on someone's 25 man roster and maybe even seeing some time as a starter if his D isn't as horrible as it looked in 2010 and he can hit a decent number of XBH.
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]

Though Nava will come back down to earth, DMac is only hitting .179. Regardless of how much Bobby V likes him, he was a minor league vagabond who should be thankful the Red Sox have kept him for 3 years. I'm guessing he's done once Ross and Sweeney return.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Gonna have to be OF by committee for a bit.  Dmac is better defensively than most of the options we have right now, so he is value in that regard but if the Red Sox ever get fully healthy in the OF it is hard to see him having a spot on the roster.

Nava is a guy I could see sticking around longer than some of the others b/c he can switch hit but he isn't as good in the field maybe..... gonna be interesting for sure.  Bobby V pushed the right buttons yesterday, hopefully it continues.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

[QUOTE]And you also should never count on Ellsbury, who is seeking to become an ever bigger all-time salary joke.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

To ignore or not ignore, what a dilemna.  If I put him on ignore it helps me avoid responding to the drivel, which is of course what he wants.  But if I don't put him on ignore I don't miss the entertainment value.  It looks like I'm sticking with the latter for now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Outfield Depth Chart : To ignore or not ignore, what a dilemna.  If I put him on ignore it helps me avoid responding to the drivel, which is of course what he wants.  But if I don't put him on ignore I don't miss the entertainment value.  It looks like I'm sticking with the latter for now.
    Posted by greenwellforpresident[/QUOTE]

Yes, it always fun to see how Softy takes any topic and without any linear segue brings it around to his old, tired, soap box platforms.  You could start a thread about Potato Salad and his first post would be about Wake, Tek, and Ells.  He has some loose association issues.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

It is clear from recent road games that Bobby V is first looking for a good bat in the lineup.  Thus did AGon play RF so that Ortiz could play 1B and then so Youk could play 1B and Middlebrooks stay at 3B.  

Ross, Sweeney, and Nava have all provided good bats.  Lin and McDonald have not, and the jury is out on Posednick.  

Once Ellsbury and CC are back, which now looks like July, I think Ross has the inside track as the starter with Sweeney as the back-up.  If the Sox go with 5 outfielders, Nava will be the fifth.  If Nava stays hot, he could replace Sweeney or even Ross.  

But the near term is more interesting with the current options being Nava, Posednick, Byrd, and Lin.  Nava, no question.  But I don't see a good bat among the other 3, and that's important because I think Bobby V can live with one weak bat in the outfield but not two.  Thus his asking AGon to play RF.  

Related is the problem of keeping both Youk and Middlebrooks in the lineup.  With AGon going back to first tomorrow night--virtually a certainty--I think one of those two goes to the OF.  I would have Middlebrooks do it, but it could end up being Youk.  

So my prediction for tomorrow night is that the OF will be Middlebrooks/Youk in LF, Posednick (lefty hitting against a righty starter) in CF, and Nava in RF.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Nava is a better player than Dmac now.   His approach at the plate is steady and he is a switch hitter.  He has more value.  I would keep Lin over Dmac too...he is great in the field and has a very good arm too.  I really don't even want to see crawford back.  Ben needs to trade CC to the cubs as the player to be named later in the Byrd deal.  Give him back to Theo and rid yourself of the salary.  My OF when healthy
    ELLS, CF... Sweeney/ Ross, RF....Nava/ Byrd LF...and byrd can play a little CF too.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Outfield Depth Chart : To ignore or not ignore, what a dilemna.  If I put him on ignore it helps me avoid responding to the drivel, which is of course what he wants.  But if I don't put him on ignore I don't miss the entertainment value.  It looks like I'm sticking with the latter for now.
    Posted by greenwellforpresident[/QUOTE]

I think he hates minorities.  He is always dissing Ells and Aviles.

Regardless I would think they would keep Nava over DMac but DMac has more lives than a cat.  I would not count on it.  Pods will go back down once Sweeney comes back I would think.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Once Ellsbury and CC are back, which now looks like July

It looks like they are going to miss most of another season, which is how Ted Williams status can be obtained.

Yes, Ortiz is one of the minorities I hate. Good ole boys "Ells" and Aviles aren't "minorities" under the federal one-drop test for identity class protection. Papelbon was a bible thumpin' gun totin' stupid redneck minority, to progressive Boston fans.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

CC and his contract isnt going anywhere....and you arent sitting that much money on the bench at least not full time(maybe against tough Lefties).....Ells is Ells, and a Ross/Sweeney Platoon was the original plan and it looks like it would have worked perfectly, if they both werent forced to play everyday.....as for the 5the OF, I just think Nava as a SH gives you more flexibility off the bench....and I personally think is all round defense and arm is slightly better than average.....DMac to me is always going to be a weak hitter and a journeyman OF...will definitely clear waivers..Byrd is not the player he was, neither is Posednik, Lin right now is all defense....so Nava gets the 5 spot. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ellsbury and CC aren't rehabbing, they are rehashing.

Since Manny aged out, the OF construction is the manifest fatal flaw.

Funny how softy slammed the "aged out" theory on the let VMart walk debate.

Funny how softy defended Drew every year at $14M per. (see "salary joke" below)

Funny how softy ranted and raved at how great Coco was.

Now, he claims it has been a "manifest fatal flaw".

2007 World Championship Red Sox OF:
    LF Manny  .296/.388/.493/.881  HR 20  RBI 88
    CF Crisp    .268/.330/.382/.712   6   60
    RF Drew    .270/.373/.423/.796  11  64

2009 Division Series losing Red Sox OF:
    LF J Bay   .267/.384/.537/.921  36  119
    CF Ellsb    .301/.355/.415/.770   8    60 (70 SB)
    RF Drew   .279/.392/.522/.914  24   68 

Red is better than the other year. (BTW, 2008 was better across the board as well.)

True, the last 2 years have been awful, partially due to some major injuries, but don't say "since Manny".

And you also should never count on Ellsbury, who is seeking to become an ever bigger all-time salary joke.

The joke's on softy.