Over confident & Under prepared???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Over confident & Under prepared???

These spring training rants are pointless.

Texas had basically the same W-L record (actually, they were one game ahead) as the Sox, and they took off like a rocket and still have the best record in the AL. 

The White Sox had the worst W-L in ST, 11-20, and they are currently 7-4 in the regular season. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Over confident & Under prepared???:
    [QUOTE]These spring training rants are pointless. Texas had basically the same W-L record (actually, they were one game ahead) as the Sox, and they took off like a rocket and still have the best record in the AL.  The White Sox had the worst W-L in ST, 11-20, and they are currently 7-4 in the regular season. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

The rants may be ridiculous, Max, but the questioning of ST preparation seems reasonable enough.  From my own subjective observations, I think this club may indeed have been over-confident and under-prepared.  A lot of gaudy projections coming from the players themselves, and a lot of non-chalance in ST (this is tough to guage, of course, since non-chalance is a seemingly required aspect of any team's ST).  But also, the regulars didn't seem to get much work in, and the actual line-up never even got a true trial run.  I don't know.  Might be something there.  Brad Mills vs. DeMarlo Hale?  Dunno.  Just speculating really.  But in any case, if they don't dig themselves into too deep of a hole this month, I really believe this horror show is a blessing in disguise as it can serve as a wake up call that no one is promised the holy grail.  Better get punched in the mouth early and have to dig deep for inner strength in April than get the wake up call too late, after coasting through the early months.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

The Sox have underperformed for at least the first 10 games in each of the last 5 seasons, go look it up.

Players this year were talking about winning 100 games!!!! That's unbelievable to me. That's a serious lack of leadership and accountability. Take a page from the Pats book, THEIR coach doesn't let them look 2 weeks ahead, nevermind overlooking the WHOLE REGULAR SEASON.

I'm with you, I also was concerned before the season started. I've questioned the intelligence in handling these big league starters with such kiddie gloves and pitch counts all preseason. They do that, and expect these pitchers to suddenly push themselves through a rough spot when they haven't had to at any point?

It stats at the top with Lucchino and Theo and permeates through every level. There is a place for all these extended stats and cautious approach...scouting and the minors. There is a time and place to be buddies, but NEVER as the manager! Management 101, don't get too friendly with subordinates, it undermines your own authority. Francona missed that class I guess.

There seems to be an obvious fundamental flaw in the way the Sox approach spring training and the early regular season. Different players, same exact story as last year. Not hitting, not pitching, not fielding particularly bad....how sad the one bright spot is the adequate fielding. Pathetic.

I hope everyone at Yawkey way has gained a little humility, and let this be the LAST time anyone brings up win totals before the g o d d a m n e d season has even started!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeanmean. Show jeanmean's posts

The reason is obvious, except to Sox fanatics. The team, the city, as well as  the Celtics, have a misplaced sense of entitlement. The attitude that we are better than everybody else is their downfall. You can see it in the smug faces of Youkilis and Beckett, real dummies both. You can see it in Pierce and Rondo, spoiled like you can't believe. Friends, you have to play hard, all out hard to win anything. Any team that thinks they have five Aces and the best line-up in baseball since the 27' Yankees, is seriously delusional. This red sox team is probably the most overrated since the 2008 team. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

OK.  Now let's try these numbers.  These 8 AL teams had winning records in ST, but the W-L records you see below are for the regular season:

Kansas City, 6-4
    Minnesota, 4-6
    Detroit, 4-7
    LA Angels, 6-5
    Seattle, 4-7
    Toronto, 5-6
    Cleveland, 8-3
    Tampa Bay, 3-8

So what you see is a negative correlation between winning in ST and getting off to a winning start in the regular season.  That is, if you have a winning record in ST, chances are good you will have a losing record in the early season. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]and pitch counts all preseason. 
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

Do you really think that the Red Sox are the only organization that uses pitch counts in how they bring pitchers along in the spring. Take off the blinders and pay attention to how the pitchers are managed throughout baseball.

Every organization has pitch counts and throwing programs for their pitchers. We as fans might think pitchers are "babied" a bit too much in this regard, but ALL PITCHERS through out MLB are treated this way nowadays.

This isn't the 1940s and 1950s anymore.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Over confident & Under prepared???

Did the majority of our guys come into the season Over confident & Underprepared?

I wondered about this back during Spring Training????  It seems that this team has been treating Spring Training as nothing more than a perfunctory exercise for the past few years!  BAD OUTINGS were shrugged & even laughed off, with claims of 'good stuff, just working the kinks out.'  "I had really good stuff, just working on my mechanics."  REALLY!?!  It's becoming a pattern in Spring Training, where our guys routinely get shelled, while guys from other teams come ready to start the season!  Perhaps OUR GUYS NEED a little less EGO stroking before the season starts, & a little more discipline?  Why exactly did Crawford start Spring Training late???  Dice-K & Lackey are just flat out jokes, who still believe that their wins come from good pitching!  Their wins have routinely come from GOOD run support!

For the past few years, Spring Training feels like a JOKE!  Getting routinely HAMMERED by Tripple A players seems to be no big deal.  It was literally laughed off!!!!

NOW..... Here we are!  11 games into the season, & our problems are systemic & contagious!  NOW that it's SERIOUS everyone is pushing & pressing.  Everyone is playing tight.  Big difference when you're "ready & bearing down," as opposed to being "unprepaired & pressing!"  Even our players who clearly came ready to play are pressing at the plate.

I'm not saying the guys came in & consciously dogged it!  BUT Francona seems to have fostered a 'no big deal....' with regard to Spring Training, and it has been carring over to the early regular season!  THIS YEAR, it's quickly becoming catastrophic!  

THE BIG DEAL IS that if you truly view glaring problems in Spring Training as NO BIG DEAL, you don't do what's necessary to FIX THOSE PROBLEMS!  I might be wrong, but it seemed that our starting team saw much less playing time in Spring Training than in the past?  

EVERY SINGLE BAD OUTING THIS SPRING was literally LAUGHED OFF!!!!!!!

IT AIN'T FUNNY ANYMORE!

Before you start thinking I'm a Tito hater..... STOP!  I love the guy!  I love what he has done over the past 8? years...   BUT!  The buck has to stop somewhere! 

THERE HAS TO BE A REASON WHY SO MANY DID NOT COME READY TO PLAY!

I'm not sure that any recognition of this helps our current situation?  We are where we are, & the guys are just going to have to 'gut it out!'  Time to bear down & get the job done!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]The Sox have underperformed for at least the first 10 games in each of the last 5 seasons, go look it up. Players this year were talking about winning 100 games!!!! That's unbelievable to me. That's a serious lack of leadership and accountability. Take a page from the Pats book, THEIR coach doesn't let them look 2 weeks ahead, nevermind overlooking the WHOLE REGULAR SEASON. I'm with you, I also was concerned before the season started. I've questioned the intelligence in handling these big league starters with such kiddie gloves and pitch counts all preseason. They do that, and expect these pitchers to suddenly push themselves through a rough spot when they haven't had to at any point? It stats at the top with Lucchino and Theo and permeates through every level. There is a place for all these extended stats and cautious approach...scouting and the minors. There is a time and place to be buddies, but NEVER as the manager! Management 101, don't get too friendly with subordinates, it undermines your own authority. Francona missed that class I guess. There seems to be an obvious fundamental flaw in the way the Sox approach spring training and the early regular season. Different players, same exact story as last year. Not hitting, not pitching, not fielding particularly bad....how sad the one bright spot is the adequate fielding. Pathetic. I hope everyone at Yawkey way has gained a little humility, and let this be the LAST time anyone brings up win totals before the g o d d a m n e d season has even started!
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

NO doubt about it!  Other teams are coming in locked & loaded.... Ready to shove that hype up our @$$es!  I understand the desire for a team wanting "hype" the upcoming season, BUT there was ABSOLUTELY NO NEED to do that!  They had us at A-Gon.  Crawford put us over the top!  

OVER THE TOP Hyping, that quickly trickled down to the players, combined with a laissez faire attitude toward MANAGING & COACHING, was a recipe for disaster!

OK!  Enough naval gazing!  I THINK it's clear what got this team to where we are today!  NOW..... How do we right this ship????  IN A HURRY!

FIRST.....  NO MORE BS from our starting pitchers!  If they are giving up NEEDLESS WALKS & putting us in the early whole....... Yank em!  Have one of our 'young guns' from Triple A waiting in the wings for the early switch.....  I actually have MUCH MORE faith in ANY KID waiting for a break, than I do in Dice-K or Lackey.  Thank God Beckett appears to have discovered his other two long lost pitches!  HE LOOKED AWESOME Sunday night!  Buchholz WILL come around.....  SOON!  I pray!  Lester WILL BE SOLID!  He at least ALWAYS comes ready to play!:)!

Salty????  I still think this is a slllllllloooooooowwww moving train wreck in action......  I simply think our pitchers have it in their heads that they just don't trust him to call a good game!  yes!  They shake off Tek too, but I see that more as a collaborative effort & their own uncertainty with 'their stuff.'
    I agree that Tek can't catch the majority of a season anymore.  He also does a poor job of helping keep runners honest.  His bat doesn't look too hot either...
    I guess we simply have to pray that Salty starts rolling..... Builds some confidence, so he can transmit that to the pitchers?????  Tough task for a 'rookie,' which he really is!  No matter what, he simply NEEDS to 'grow a pair' real quick, man up, & AT LEAST CARRY HIMSELF like he owns the place.  Probably a hollow gesture, but it certainly couldn't hurt???

SS???  I love Scutaro for his grit, but I think Lowrie needs to be our 1st string SS????????  NO!  This is not even near our main problem at the moment, but Lowrie's numbers last year suggest that he IS READY!  Take his 52 games last year & extrapolate........  The numbers look good!

DON'T PANIC!  Just take control!  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]OK.  Now let's try these numbers.  These 8 AL teams had winning records in ST, but the W-L records you see below are for the regular season: Kansas City, 6-4 Minnesota, 4-6 Detroit, 4-7 LA Angels, 6-5 Seattle, 4-7 Toronto, 5-6 Cleveland, 8-3 Tampa Bay, 3-8 So what you see is a negative correlation between winning in ST and getting off to a winning start in the regular season.  That is, if you have a winning record in ST, chances are good you will have a losing record in the early season. 

Max,

You keep missing the point!  It is NOT ABOUT the ST record!  It is about the attitude of the front office, THE MANAGER, the coaches, & YES!  The players.  I heard & saw a lot of excuses for HORRIBLE performances, & they WERE absolutely routinely laughed off.  Case in point.... The final Pineapple? trophy game with Minn.?

NOBODY said there was a correlation between ST record & any team's current regular season standing!

I agree that there is NOTHING that can be done about ST now, but I hope we don't repeat THE ATTITUDE that trickled down to ALL LEVELS of this organization in the future.  If you missed it?  You simply weren't looking!

TO ME........ It's more than clear that TOO MANY guys, players & coaches, came into this season OVER-confident & UNDER prepared.

For the coaches & manager, a key part of preperation is SERIOUSLY dealing with GLARING problems!  NOT TO MENTION..... NOT letting the players get cocky!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Sorry, redsoxdog, but I prefer to deal in factual information. 

Your theory is completely based on suppositions.  How, for example, do you measure or even have any idea what the attitude of the FO, et al, was? 

And are you honestly saying that the "trophy game" with the Twins was a big deal, a game that should have been won at all costs?  Give me a break.   

As for your allegation that players came into ST overconfident and underprepared, try this.  Ortiz, Drew, Cameron, McDonald, and Scutaro are all in contract years.  Ellsbury and Lowrie are still at "minimum wage" and need to play well this year to ensure they get good long-term contracts at some point--Ellsbury, especially, because he basically missed all of last season.    Crawford and Gonzalez want to show they are worth those huge salaries and to show their new team they can contribute.  Ditto Lackey and Beckett.   

And the front office?  You can bet Theo, after going after Lackey last year and A-Gon and Crawford this year, is taking nothing for granted.  

This team didn't even get to playoffs last year, so it's kind of hard to argue that they showed up this spring with a devil-may-care attitude. 

My contention is that no one was overconfident or underprepared.  If anything, some of them have been pressing too hard. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Over confident & Under prepared??? : Do you really think that the Red Sox are the only organization that uses pitch counts in how they bring pitchers along in the spring. Take off the blinders and pay attention to how the pitchers are managed throughout baseball. Every organization has pitch counts and throwing programs for their pitchers. We as fans might think pitchers are "babied" a bit too much in this regard, but ALL PITCHERS through out MLB are treated this way nowadays. This isn't the 1940s and 1950s anymore.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Take off the blinders? Take your own advice! Are you really ignorant of the fact that the Sox EMPLOYED statistically obsessed Bill James? Are you unaware of the EXTREME extent the Sox go, through ALL levels of their organization, to watch and count every pitch? That's kind of like saying "America isn't the ONLY country with fat people." No, we just have the embarassingly highest percentage. But, if you want to walk around stating that obesity isn't a problem in America, go ahead my ignorant friend.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry, redsoxdog, but I prefer to deal in factual information.  Your theory is completely based on suppositions.  How, for example, do you measure or even have any idea what the attitude of the FO, et al, was?  And are you honestly saying that the "trophy game" with the Twins was a big deal, a game that should have been won at all costs?  Give me a break.    As for your allegation that players came into ST overconfident and underprepared, try this.  Ortiz, Drew, Cameron, McDonald, and Scutaro are all in contract years.  Ellsbury and Lowrie are still at "minimum wage" and need to play well this year to ensure they get good long-term contracts at some point--Ellsbury, especially, because he basically missed all of last season.    Crawford and Gonzalez want to show they are worth those huge salaries and to show their new team they can contribute.  Ditto Lackey and Beckett.    And the front office?  You can bet Theo, after going after Lackey last year and A-Gon and Crawford this year, is taking nothing for granted.   This team didn't even get to playoffs last year, so it's kind of hard to argue that they showed up this spring with a devil-may-care attitude.  My contention is that no one was overconfident or underprepared.  If anything, some of them have been pressing too hard. 

I certainly agree with the pressing too hard! 

My supposition is based on things SAID & Done in ST.  I did not say 'Devil may care' attitude. 
    I know that you simply don't agree, but I think you are ignoring a few points, such as Francona's reaction to horrible outings & BLOWN games... i.e.  trophy game.  Laissez faire is FAR different than 'Devil may Care.'  Francona's management style IS laissez faire.  Like it or not, it is!
    The OVER-Confident predictions came from THE MOUTHS of some players!  That was a big mistake, & Francona should have put an immediate stop to it!
    Why fire up the opposition?  Just plain dumb!
    Anyway..... I hear what your saying, & you are correct!  My thesis is mostly supposition, but it does not come out of thin air.

Keep the faith!  We're ALL freaking out a bit.  Much of what I right lately is pure venting!  :)

GO SOX! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry, redsoxdog, but I prefer to deal in factual information.  Your theory is completely based on suppositions.  How, for example, do you measure or even have any idea what the attitude of the FO, et al, was?  And are you honestly saying that the "trophy game" with the Twins was a big deal, a game that should have been won at all costs?  Give me a break.    As for your allegation that players came into ST overconfident and underprepared, try this.  Ortiz, Drew, Cameron, McDonald, and Scutaro are all in contract years.  Ellsbury and Lowrie are still at "minimum wage" and need to play well this year to ensure they get good long-term contracts at some point--Ellsbury, especially, because he basically missed all of last season.    Crawford and Gonzalez want to show they are worth those huge salaries and to show their new team they can contribute.  Ditto Lackey and Beckett.    And the front office?  You can bet Theo, after going after Lackey last year and A-Gon and Crawford this year, is taking nothing for granted.   This team didn't even get to playoffs last year, so it's kind of hard to argue that they showed up this spring with a devil-may-care attitude.  My contention is that no one was overconfident or underprepared.  If anything, some of them have been pressing too hard. 

If it were possible to derive so much from just numbers, removing the human factor, then Drew wouldn't be the lightning rod that he is. Unfortunately, baseball isn't played by robots, there are definite intangibles that can't be measured with a stopwatch or abacus. Casey at the bat anyone? THe attitude throughout much of the Sox could be read in their quotes all over the place. This team EXPECTED to win 100 games. With the number of times I heard players say it publicly, nobody from management was doing their job and telling them to shut it. Now, that's because of one of two reasons, 1) They agreed, 2) The players do as they feel on this team without worry of repercussions from management. Either way, management and players are/were BOTH the problem.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

oops!  write & you're

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Nicely put Ma6

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Over confident & Under prepared??? : The rants may be ridiculous, Max, but the questioning of ST preparation seems reasonable enough.  From my own subjective observations, I think this club may indeed have been over-confident and under-prepared.  A lot of gaudy projections coming from the players themselves, and a lot of non-chalance in ST (this is tough to guage, of course, since non-chalance is a seemingly required aspect of any team's ST).  But also, the regulars didn't seem to get much work in, and the actual line-up never even got a true trial run.  I don't know.  Might be something there.  Brad Mills vs. DeMarlo Hale?  Dunno.  Just speculating really.  But in any case, if they don't dig themselves into too deep of a hole this month, I really believe this horror show is a blessing in disguise as it can serve as a wake up call that no one is promised the holy grail.  Better get punched in the mouth early and have to dig deep for inner strength in April than get the wake up call too late, after coasting through the early months.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

You said it all here.

Team prep was lacking out of the gate.
    When Tito came aboard back in 2004, one of the things he said was :"I just don't want to get in their way".
    He respected their professionalism. Well, that talented 2004 team was mediocre until Theo woke them up with the NOMAR deal.

I'm not saying this 2011 team is at that point. But The drawback to being a player's manager is reflective in the intensity level. Counting the last 10 games of ST, this team is 2-19.

Tito's 2004 approach may no longer be in the team's best interest.
    That being said, it's not how you start, but who who is there at the finish line.
    Tito's nature may yet win out again. It's hard to swallow, but so is his managing-for-a-series instead of a given game. And that has proven to be effective, albeit frustrating.

Time will be the judge. IMO, I think this will be turned around sooner than later.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Baba-Yaga. Show Baba-Yaga's posts

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

And the nail has just been hit on the head..Thank you max, If I wrote what I was going to, both posts would have been almost identical.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

For years I read about the Sox not being confident enough- now it's too much swagger. What a joke. Now spring training games mean something? The sense of entitlement aren't the Red Sox or Celtic players it's the fans. I listened to this same crap for 5 years in NYC.
    Wanna make this simple? Here's why the Red Sox got off to a horrible start- their pitching and hitting was freaking pathetic. Here's why they've played much better as of late- they've had unbelievable pitching and bats have woken up slightly.

So your explanation is players such as Beckett, Salty, Lester, Youk, Crawford, Wheeler, etc.- professional players (some with A LOT to prove) came out the first 10 games and thought they had the year wrapped up so they weren't prepared?!?

I think you're overconfident and underprepared in your analysis.

As I always say... it always blows me away that baseball fans can watch so much and know so little. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Part of what some of the posters don't really get is cause-and-effect.

The posters think they just didn't care at the end of ST and that carried over into the regular season.  It's more likely that they just weren't seeing the ball well, and not hitting their spots, and that carried forward.

The truth is that players slump all the time.  It's just that when a pitcher has two bad games in August, his ERA goes from 4.00 to 4.25 and it's not noticeable.  When you do that in your first two games, then your ERA is 7.50 and it is noticeable.

When Dice went 18-3, he had a 2-game stretch with an ERA of 16.20.  Lester had a 2-game stretch last year with a 9.00.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

So....... This would be an "I told ya so" post????  :)

As you certainly can never prove something as subjective as what I opened this thread with, I guess the last 8 games would make you right.

Still not sure what was going on the first 11, BUT I'm sure happy they've turned it around.

In any event, you are surely right about BAD hitting & BAD pitching the first 11.

last 8 games,  GREAT pitching, much better hitting.

Anyway, let's not get our panties in a bundle.  I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER that the Sox have been playing GREAT baseball!!!!!

Let's keep it going & enjoy :)

p.s.   Millions of Red Sox fans were pulling their hair out, wondering what the heck was wrong.  We were all searching for answers.  Of course we WERE losing because of BAD pitching & BAD hitting.  The majority of Sox fans wanted to know why????  Hey, this is an OPINION board.  Right?  Can opinions be proven?  More often than not, NO!  I was just giving my opinion on what I SAW in ST & the first 11 games.  MANY agreed.  Many did NOT agree.  I sure as heck didn't jump down the throats of those who honestly didn't agree with me & start with the ad hominem attacks. 

In my humble opinion, that's what's wrong with this board sometimes.  You state your honest opinion, & MANY will jump down your throat & start BASHING you PERSONALLY.    I admit that when SOME guys start with the personal invectives toward ME I get my back up & respond.  I'm not sure why some guys on here get so threatened by differing opinions.  Look, I don't like the relentlessly negative trade Els, trade Yuke, trade Lowrie, trade _________ crazy talk either, but there is plenty of room for reasonable questions & conjecture when things are clearly going very badly as they were the first 11 games.  Let's try to be a bit more tolerant of opinions that differ with our own.  Let's try not to get SO defensive.

SO,  No harm no foul........  Let's ENJOY!!!!!!  Hope we're good!  Not looking for a fight!!!!

Go Red Sox!!!!!!!!  :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

p.s.  That was to Wolfpack13

Sections
Shortcuts