Over-looked & All-important

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Over-looked & All-important

Update:
    Tigers    85 - 62
    Rangers 84 - 64

Boston now leads the Rays by 4 games with 15 games left.
    If Boston goes 7-8, netting them 93 total wins, the Rays have to finish 12-3 to beat them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Over-looked & All-important:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Over-looked & All-important : Good point. Also, IMO I'd rather finish in the PO position that avoids Detroit as an opponent. The prospect of facing Verlander in Games 1 & 5 (or even 4) is the reason. Also, they're hot right now. And, according to Nurse Gammons,  both Tex and Det are tough opponents, and are clearly capable of winning the 1st Round, without it even being considered an upset.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

You could be right, but he'll have to win two games in a 5-game set, and there's a strong possibility that 2nd game will be on short rest.

And even if he wins both, the Tigers could still lose. If they win one of his games, then they have to win two without him. I'd rather face that scenario than face TX.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

I know it's impossible but, I think I'd rather play NY. Undecided

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from athens7676. Show athens7676's posts

Sadly, the way the MLB playoff format is set up....there is no reason to try to win the divsion. Division titles (which in truth are harder to win then the 3 round post season tournament) have NO MEANING at all. I am working against my own intrests here, but I like the idea of adding the extra WC team for a 1 game or 2 out of 3 playoff. It means the WC teams won't have the opportunity to set up their pitching going into a series against a division winner. I realize it has shortcomings (I think 1 game is to short, yet if they play 2 of 3 there CANNOT be an off day in that series) but it is time to reward the team that wins over 162...that being said, I am glad the are not doing it this year as my Bravos would be in trouble.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

A team is best served by winning as many games as they can in the regular season and hoping that is good enough to get into the post season. Worrying about who your opponent will be before you even qualify for the playoffs seems a bit too arrogant to me. If you are going to be the champion, you need to win 11 games against 3 excellent opponents, no mater whether you are the best record in the league or a W.C.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Would the Tigers rather play the Red Sox or the Yankees?

Would the Rangers or Angels rather play the Red Sox or Yankees?

Since August 1, the Red Sox are 20-21, the Yankees 26-15, the Tigers 29-11, the Rangers 23-16 and the Angels 22-17.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]Would the Tigers rather play the Red Sox or the Yankees? Would the Rangers or Angels rather play the Red Sox or Yankees? Since August 1, the Red Sox are 20-21, the Yankees 26-15, the Tigers 29-11, the Rangers 23-16 and the Angels 22-17.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Since none of the above have clinched...I'd assume that all of the above will glady square off with any of the above in the playoffs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]Sadly, the way the MLB playoff format is set up....there is no reason to try to win the divsion. Division titles (which in truth are harder to win then the 3 round post season tournament) have NO MEANING at all. I am working against my own intrests here, but I like the idea of adding the extra WC team for a 1 game or 2 out of 3 playoff. It means the WC teams won't have the opportunity to set up their pitching going into a series against a division winner. I realize it has shortcomings (I think 1 game is to short, yet if they play 2 of 3 there CANNOT be an off day in that series) but it is time to reward the team that wins over 162...that being said, I am glad the are not doing it this year as my Bravos would be in trouble.
    Posted by athens7676[/QUOTE]

Hey Athens...

I'm not sure that I agree that division crown is meaniless and I'm pretty certain that they feel the same way in Texas, LA, NY and Detriot. I'm all for adding another WC team and havingthem play a best of 3 series...Only if we lose intraleague play and the unbalanced schedule. The teams records regardless of division would all carry the same weight and thus the two wildcard teams would be the 4th and 5th best teams by record not divsions..Thus making it the same gauntlet for all teams

In that senerio the Sox and Rays would lead the wildcard and the Angels would be in the hunt too only 2 games back...

My playoff format would be the two wildcard teams play best of 3. The winner would play the team with the best record regardless of divisions in best of 7 with a 2-3-2 format which is proven to be a greater homefield advantage. While the other division winners square off in the tradional 2-2-1-1-1 format...Thus in terms of scheduling...The two WC teams play all three without an off day between games the winner then has 1 travel day/off day to arrive to play their division series. Meanwhile on that offday, the other division series starts...

Perhaps the best thing that my above solution to adding another WC team is that it's about winning...win you division and you get the benefit of time to set up your rotation...By winning either wildcard slot you get a shot at the post season and in order to qualify regardless of division it comes down to who won the most games...

Thus given the current financial landscape teams that play in divisions with the big boys, now would have a better shot at making the post season where 90 win teams are legit contenders...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Would the Tigers rather play the Red Sox or the Yankees? Would the Rangers or Angels rather play the Red Sox or Yankees? Since August 1, the Red Sox are 20-21, the Yankees 26-15, the Tigers 29-11, the Rangers 23-16 and the Angels 22-17.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Question is, does recent form over-ride how teams match up?
    Tigers are hot but Boston has beaten them soundly this year.
    I think it comes down to which is more advantageous in a given season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

It's not about who's hot last 2 weeks, it's not about who's not the last 2 weeks. It's about matchups and about raising the clutch level of your team. Whose pen blinks in the 7th,8th and 9th or which SP is capable of going 8 in a dominating effort, or what team's bats get off to a big start, or come up with a big inning to put a game away. Too many variables out there. I don't think it matters who plays who anymore. The Sox owned the Angels, then lost to the Angels...virtually the same teams and same players facing each other. Timing is everything. The planets were all aligned when Sox were down 3-0 v. Yankees. Personally, I don't care who the Sox play, just win baby. They can beat anyone with their lineup, but the 2 key starters--Beckett and Lester--have a lot of pressure to not only succeed but go longer in that successful outing. It's important Bard returns to form.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Boston didn't own the Angels in '09. They won 5 and lost 4 games against them during the regular season,  44 Rf  40 RA.

The Angels had an advantage in CA over the games played there.
    They were emotionally charged over Adenhart's death.
    And Tito foolishly didn't match Tek with Josh. Tek sat the whole series.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtDawgSox. Show DirtDawgSox's posts

[QUOTE]It's not about who's hot last 2 weeks, it's not about who's not the last 2 weeks. It's about matchups and about raising the clutch level of your team. Whose pen blinks in the 7th,8th and 9th or which SP is capable of going 8 in a dominating effort, or what team's bats get off to a big start, or come up with a big inning to put a game away. Too many variables out there. I don't think it matters who plays who anymore. The Sox owned the Angels, then lost to the Angels...virtually the same teams and same players facing each other. Timing is everything. The planets were all aligned when Sox were down 3-0 v. Yankees. Personally, I don't care who the Sox play, just win baby. They can beat anyone with their lineup, but the 2 key starters--Beckett and Lester--have a lot of pressure to not only succeed but go longer in that successful outing. It's important Bard returns to form.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Sad thing is we had the game today and it was blown. No, I do not blame Bard. I blame Francona for putting him in in the first place and secondly for leaving him in after he walked two batters. Some managing this is.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]Boston didn't own the Angels in '09. They won 5 and lost 4 games against them during the regular season,  44 Rf  40 RA. The Angels had an advantage in CA over the games played there. They were emotionally charged over Adenhart's death. And Tito foolishly didn't match Tek with Josh. Tek sat the whole series.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

to be clear, i was referring to owning them in the POSTSEASON...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Over-looked & All-important : Hey Athens... I'm not sure that I agree that division crown is meaniless and I'm pretty certain that they feel the same way in Texas, LA, NY and Detriot. I'm all for adding another WC team and havingthem play a best of 3 series... Only  if we lose intraleague play and the unbalanced schedule. The teams records regardless of division would all carry the same weight and thus the two wildcard teams would be the 4th and 5th best teams by record not divsions..Thus making it the same gauntlet for all teams In that senerio the Sox and Rays would lead the wildcard and the Angels would be in the hunt too only 2 games back... My playoff format would be the two wildcard teams play best of 3. The winner would play the team with the best record regardless of divisions in best of 7 with a 2-3-2 format which is proven to be a greater homefield advantage. While the other division winners square off in the tradional 2-2-1-1-1 format...Thus in terms of scheduling...The two WC teams play all three without an off day between games the winner then has 1 travel day/off day to arrive to play their division series. Meanwhile on that offday, the other division series starts... Perhaps the best thing that my above solution to adding another WC team is that it's about winning...win you division and you get the benefit of time to set up your rotation...By winning either wildcard slot you get a shot at the post season and in order to qualify regardless of division it comes down to who won the most games... Thus given the current financial landscape teams that play in divisions with the big boys, now would have a better shot at making the post season where 90 win teams are legit contenders...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Hey Bean:

That's an interesting idea: a second WC team, but I don't think it's fair to go 2 out of three games after playing an entire season. 3 of 5 should be minimum criteria IMO.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Once you have too many wild card teams it gives a chance for some .530 team to win the WS, which is sort of disgraceful. Teams that can't at least play .550 ball shouldn't even qualify, unless they won their divsion. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Boston didn't own the Angels in '09. They won 5 and lost 4 games against them during the regular season,  44 Rf  40 RA. The Angels had an advantage in CA over the games played there. They were emotionally charged over Adenhart's death. And Tito foolishly didn't match Tek with Josh. Tek sat the whole series.
    In early April 2009, the Red Sox went 1-2 in the three-game weekend series in Anaheim following Nick Adenhart's midweek death. I attended the lone win on Saturday afternon at Angel Stadium before going to the Padres' Adrian Gonzalez T-shirt Night that evening in San Diego.

I still wear the T-shirt on occasion.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Once you have too many wild card teams it gives a chance for some .530 team to win the WS, which is sort of disgraceful. Teams that can't at least play .550 ball shouldn't even qualify, unless they won their division. 
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

That doesn't say much for divisional play. Dodgers won theirs in 2008 with a
    .518 PCT. And they benefited from playing their own 72 games. Cards won in '06 with a .516 mark. Did they deserve to make the PO's?

The divisions were set up to limit travel time and increase PO revenue.
    But the unbalanced schedule is the same kind of joke the PO system is in the National Hockey league.
    Toronto would likely compete for a PO birth in weaker divisions.

The current system is full of discrepancies, beginning with favoring teams who have the greatest revenue intake.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

The moment teams cannot get in by winning the division you may as well do away with divsions as a whole.

If that is what they do then it simply becomes two divsions with the top 6 teams making the paly-offs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Or one division for each league and the top 4 teams Play-Off. No more unbalanced schedule.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Yes or that to. I have a lot of changes I would make... start by knowcking 10 games off the season, and increasing double headers so that the play-offs begin September 15th, and the World Series can be played when the autumn evenings still are reasonable.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

That would hurt revenue, but it makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately, money is usually the bottom line. Once the dollar bill becomes the top priority, other areas suffer.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]That would hurt revenue, but it makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately, money is usually the bottom line. Once the dollar bill becomes the top priority, other areas suffer.

The game needs to cut down on the time element, the games are simply too long between the better AL teams, too many pitches taken, too many pitching changes, too many stepouts, too many long stretch moments by pitchers. I know there are some the love a nice 5 hour ballgame but they must have great jobs or a lot of money because most of us don't have the luxury or time (families) to sit through a 4 hour ballgame that ends at a ridiculous hour. I think the umpires need to expand the strikezone, making hitters, forcing hitters to swing away.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I think it only hurts revenue in terms of top dollar. By dropping ten games, it affests all things. Less revenue, a smidgeon less in salaries, etc.,  but in the end the profit margin stays the same.  Less electircity, less travel expenses, less of all expenses. Everybody is still bloody rich.

Heck if I were a player making 3 million and you told me I would get an extra 3 weeks off during the off-season and all I ahd to do was take a pay cut of $185k I would jump at that in a heartbeat.

There is no reason whatsoever that the World Series cannot start on the 1st Saturday every October at high noon.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

And Tito foolishly didn't match Tek with Josh. Tek sat the whole series.

Varitek stunk the entire 2009 season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]I think it only hurts revenue in terms of top dollar. By dropping ten games, it affests all things. Less revenue, a smidgeon less in salaries, etc.,  but in the end the profit margin stays the same.  Less electircity, less travel expenses, less of all expenses. Everybody is still bloody rich. Heck if I were a player making 3 million and you told me I would get an extra 3 weeks off during the off-season and all I ahd to do was take a pay cut of $185k I would jump at that in a heartbeat. There is no reason whatsoever that the World Series cannot start on the 1st Saturday every October at high noon.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Problem is, the player's union would never accept the cut.
    And those 10 games might make the difference with small market teams' profit/loss as it affects revenue sharing as well.

Looking at it thru the lens of common sense, watching players play in ST Louis or NY or Boston in 33 degrees (2004 comes to mind. Mueller's 3-error game when he couldn't even feel the damn ball) is asinine.