Over-looked & All-important

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Over-looked & All-important

In Response to Re: Over-looked & All-important:
    And Tito foolishly didn't match Tek with Josh. Tek sat the whole series. Varitek stunk the entire 2009 season.
    Posted by 1958lesspaul

I see UR back yet again.
    Try doing the great guitarist justice and stop with the juvenile Wake/Jake bashing.
    It's fish or cut bait time, and if you are the teammate you claimed to be once upon a time, then try creating a uniting cause to root all players into the post season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from athens7676. Show athens7676's posts

In Response to Re: Over-looked & All-important : I see UR back yet again. Try doing the great guitarist justice and stop with the juvenile Wake/Jake bashing. It's fish or cut bait time, and if you are the teammate you claimed to be once upon a time, then try creating a uniting cause to root all players into the post season.
    Posted by harness

I'm assuming you mean that's Napalm?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Over-looked & All-important : The game needs to cut down on the time element, the games are simply too long between the better AL teams, too many pitches taken, too many pitching changes, too many stepouts, too many long stretch moments by pitchers.I know there are some the love a nice 5 hour ballgame but they must have great jobs or a lot of money because most of us don't have the luxury or time (families) to sit through a 4 hour ballgame that ends at a ridiculous hour. I think the umpires need to expand the strikezone, making hitters, forcing hitters to swing away.
    Posted by dannycater

I empathize with UR plight. I just don't think expanding the strike zone is fair.
    Players come thru the Sox farm system being taught plate discipline would only be compromised by the new rules. It's not fair to any player.

I can see rising the level of the mound again, since it was once changed, but the game is ruled by certain traditional standards. They shouldn't be altered to favor fan participation.
    The league made that mistake by looking the other way when steroid use ran rampant. They knew it would increase run production and become more popular with fans. Was it worth the artificial records and the fact Congress had to intervene?

I do think they should enforce the 20-second rule for pitchers (between at bats).
    But pitches will be taken as hitters should exploit the importance of working the count...and the pitcher. And frequent pitching changes will occur due to the concocted hitting era, which has made CG's a thing of the past.

As for the RedSox dominance of the Angels in the post season, I have often said that sitting Tek (allowing VMART to catch the staff) and hitting a hot Drew 8th diminished any possible advantage Boston might have had in that series.

Update: Tigers: 87-62

Texas: 85-64 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Over-looked & All-important : Hey Bean : That's an interesting idea: a second WC team, but I don't think it's fair to go 2 out of three games after playing an entire season. 3 of 5 should be minimum criteria IMO.
    Posted by harness

Hey Harness,

The reason I proposed the above format is to place a higher premium on winning the division...best 2 of 3 with no off days handicaps the wildcard team heading into the next series. If you're in the hunt and you have a legit shot at a division crown the reward is that you don't have to play in the WC round and by having a week between the end of the season and the beggining of the division series teams aren't concerned about setting up thier rotations...

To me flaw in the current system is the unbalanced schedule becasue the WC team in the is not always the forth best team by record and thus I don't have a problem with the current format...by balancing the schedule and awarding the WC to the two teams with the best records that didn't finish first, regardless of the divisions then more often than not the better teams will be in the hunt to the end...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

this is radical, but you could also limit the number of relievers you can bring in during an inning, including stopping the 1-pitcher to 1-batter element. If you bring in a reliever, the reliever must face at least 2 batters. I say this because then a manager will think twice about removing his SP for a short reliever in a situation, and think twice if the next hitter is a righty after a lefty. That would cut time down on games. Sure, some guys lose their reliever jobs, but so be it. There are ways to cut down time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Maddon uses 8 pitchers in a game...9-inn game...and I think that is ridiculous. Hailed as a great manager, but ridiculous and wasteful.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I know this is silly and it probably would not be a good idea but sometime I think if you foul off the 3rd strike twice your out... lol  those long long at bats really are a pain

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from athens7676. Show athens7676's posts

You would have some SERIOUSLY low scoring games

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It doesn't happen that much, but I like the idea. Maybe 3 foul offs (after 2 strikes) not 2 would be better.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

It doesn't happen that much, but I like the idea. Maybe 3 foul offs (after 2 strikes) not 2 would be better.
    Posted by moonslav59

Damon would retire immediately...he is one of the masters of fouling off 2-strike pitches.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

no, that's the one line you don't cross. Don't take the bat out of the hands of players that know how to use it. I think limiting or restricting how relievers are used, and opening up the strikezone (not width wise, but vertically) will lower the amount of pitches taken. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Over-looked & All-important : Hey Harness, The reason I proposed the above format is to place a higher premium on winning the division...best 2 of 3 with no off days handicaps the wildcard team heading into the next series. If you're in the hunt and you have a legit shot at a division crown the reward is that you don't have to play in the WC round and by having a week between the end of the season and the beggining of the division series teams aren't concerned about setting up thier rotations... To me flaw in the current system is the unbalanced schedule becasue the WC team in the is not always the forth best team by record and thus I don't have a problem with the current format...by balancing the schedule and awarding the WC to the two teams with the best records that didn't finish first, regardless of the divisions then more often than not the better teams will be in the hunt to the end...
    Posted by Beantowne

I definitely agree with you on the ludicrous unbalanced schedule. Better teams sit at home and watch inferior ones in the PO's.

But I don't think you'll see a divisional winner getting a "bye".
    The layoff Colorado experienced in 2007 was ridiculous, and that didn't even include a "bye".

The fairest landscape is one division for each league in a balanced setting. Then the top 4 (or 6) teams face off.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

no, that's the one line you don't cross. Don't take the bat out of the hands of players that know how to use it. I think limiting or restricting how relievers are used, and opening up the strikezone (not width wise, but vertically) will lower the amount of pitches taken. 
    Posted by dannycater

Sooooooooo, it's O.K. to continue to penalize the pitchers. But the hitters are off-bounds. Is that it?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Raise the mound.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

You mean re-raise the mound.
    Ya know, UR idea of a hitter being out by limiting foul balls actually exists in some types of games. I recall playing some of them as a kid in school. But in the M.L.'s, the only way it would be fair is if all the ballparks had similar dimensions.
    And that ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

I hope that never happens, as the game would lose it's flavor.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Yes thats right, re-raise. If the games were 45 minutes shorter and the average score was say 5-3 or 6-5 I think fans would still walk away happy, entertained if you will.

Truth be told by the end of the 7th if your team is up 4 or 5 runs in a regular season game, you leave. Get to the car early, beat traffice etc.,

I don't leave myslef because I see so few games ... 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I gotta tell ya, the experience of seeing a game in this day and age vastly differs from - when the mound was high. I use to pay 3 bucks as a kid and sit in the bleachers...and BS with Monty in the pen area.
    The experience was one of baseball purity.

Last month, for the first time in many years, I caught the Sox games vs. the M's.
    I went to a game and a show broke out! My God, the hoopla of the announcer, the frills, the wall to wall concession stands... I thought I was in a loud mall.

Such a different experience.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

harness before they lowered it do you know if that height had been the same for al the years prior? Sometimes when I suggest the mound be raised I get the old Carl Yaz Triple Crown counter argument, as if every player would no longer be able to hit more than 25 homers again... which has to be a bunch of bull.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

It wasn't the same all years prior. Here's a link:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Baseball-Trivia-General-2552/Pitcher-mound.htm

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

I'm worried now that the Sox might not even make the playoffs.Frown

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Update:
    Tigers: 88-63
    Texas: 86-65.
    11 games to go.

Boston up by 4 over Rays.
    12 games left. Rays have 9 of them against NY/BS.
    3 against Toronto. If Boston plays .500, the Rays have to go 11-1 to get the WC.

I wonder how hard NY will play against Tampa?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Rangers cut Tiger's lead to one game after tonight.
    Boston leads Rays by 3 with 10 remaining.
    Could have put them away today.

After yet another pivotal game tomorrow, Rays get NY/Toronto to finish season, while Boston gets Baltimore for 7 games and NY for 3.

Wake doesn't appear to match up well against Price, but one thing that might be in his favor is that in his last outing, he made an adjustment over his last two IP. The arc of the knuckler changed dramatically and danced in the lower half of the zone. He recorded the last 6 outs expeditiously. It's a wonder he was removed after 95 pitches, as it meant bringing in Aceves, which could have been avoided, and that would have allowed Aceves to go two IP the following game, instead of giving way to Bard...who coughed up the game.  I think the magnitude of Wake's game may have swayed Tito's thinking. Who knows.

If Wake continues form from end of last game, the Sox have a decent shot.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

I thought Moore did a nice job against left footed OF.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Maybe it was really Cliff Lee.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

The Yankess have not exactly been on fire this month. If the Rays can man handle the Sox this easily, not much reason to doubt they can't beat NY to.

Sections
Shortcuts