Over the past six years.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Over the past six years.....

This whole business of posters talking about how bad the Sox have been "over the past six years" is somewhat getting under my skin.  It's right there with saying that the Sox will have finished last two out of the last three years or that they're playing about .500 ball over the past _____ games.  It's a prime example of how "figures don't lie but liars can figure".

First of all, there's a certain amount of cherry-picking involved in going back SIX years.  When we talk about seven years or ten years it's an entirely different story.  Unfortunately when someone points that out they're met with the argument that the Sox will finish last in two years out of three or that they have that .500 record I spoke of.

It's important to look at WHY they'll finish last two years out of three.  It's because they intentionally made mid-season trades that had they not have made would have kept them out of the cellar.  Regardless of how they're playing at the time, losing players like Beckett, Agon, Lester, Lackey, and Miller are going to significantly hurt a team's chances of winning.  In both situations the FO has sacrificed a couple of months of the season in an attempt to improve the future of the team and those sacrifices have resulted in a lot of (EXPECTED) losses.. 

Like I said, the figures don't lie, but... we know the rest.  

Any owners who sign previously suspended PED abusers to a big $$ contract are as guilty of perpetuating the PED problem as are the players.

And I have never posted here under any other names.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Re: Over the past six years.....

It's important to look at WHY they'll finish last two years out of three.

and here we thought Bogie was the funny one

thanks 4 the early morning chuckle S5

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

Remember what I said about 'snarky"?

Now would you like for me to drag in how much money the Yankees have spent over the past 13 years and have only ONE ring to show for it?

[object HTMLDivElement]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to S5's comment:

This whole business of posters talking about how bad the Sox have been "over the past six years" is somewhat getting under my skin.  It's right there with saying that the Sox will have finished last two out of the last three years or that they're playing about .500 ball over the past _____ games.  It's a prime example of how "figures don't lie but liars can figure".

First of all, there's a certain amount of cherry-picking involved in going back SIX years.  When we talk about seven years or ten years it's an entirely different story.  Unfortunately when someone points that out they're met with the argument that the Sox will finish last in two years out of three or that they have that .500 record I spoke of.

It's important to look at WHY they'll finish last two years out of three.  It's because they intentionally made mid-season trades that had they not have made would have kept them out of the cellar.  Regardless of how they're playing at the time, losing players like Beckett, Agon, Lester, Lackey, and Miller are going to significantly hurt a team's chances of winning.  In both situations the FO has sacrificed a couple of months of the season in an attempt to improve the future of the team and those sacrifices have resulted in a lot of (EXPECTED) losses.. 

Any owners who sign previously suspended PED abusers to a big $$ contract are as guilty of perpetuating the PED problem as are the players.

All good trades, no, make that GREAT TRADES......  Please do not FRET, BEN will take good care of OUR team......  DAD talks with him every day !!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Now would you like for me to drag in how much money the Yankees have spent over the past 13 years

I'm remembering what U said about cherry-picking

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

All good trades, no, make that GREAT TRADES......  Please do not FRET, BEN will take good care of OUR team......  DAD talks with him every day !!!

I'm not at all sure that I agree that losing Lester, Lackey and Miller were "great trades".  I don't see how giving up the core of your pitching staff is a good thing in the long run but then again they didn't ask me.  

I'm just hoping this turns out better than I fear it's going to.

[object HTMLDivElement]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Now would you like for me to drag in how much money the Yankees have spent over the past 13 years

I'm remembering what U said about cherry-picking

Hey, I understand the tactic.  If you can't dispute what someone says the next thing is to discredit the person who said it. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

did U not bring up others cherry picking

Y not go back 5 or 20 yrs

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Maybe it depends on a person's outlook in life.  Some folks just prefer a nice, but nothing spectacular type of environment.  Nothing wrong there, as that's the way I run my career.  Others prefer a little more excitement, and the 5 ALCS and 3 WSC in 12 years outweigh the 3 years where we won less than 86.

FWIW, I've enjoyed all 47 years I've been a RS fan, but I've enjoyed th past 12 years a lot more than the previous 35.  I'm not as comfortable with the 'loveable loser' tag as some of the other fans.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Now would you like for me to drag in how much money the Yankees have spent over the past 13 years and have only ONE ring to show for it?

[object HTMLDivElement]

Of those 13 years how many did they finish dead last ? How many did they have a chance to win? We want a chance to win not a chance to finish last with the crap the sox put on the field. Rather spend and hope sox win  then cry why Sox finished last and how much Yankees spend in 13 years .

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Why not use the years since this ownership group took over?   That's the best way to evaluate their body of work, IMO.

Would you agree that since Henry and company took over, the Sox have been the most successful franchise in baseball?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from upperco1. Show upperco1's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

Why not use the years since this ownership group took over?   That's the best way to evaluate their body of work, IMO.

Would you agree that since Henry and company took over, the Sox have been the most successful franchise in baseball?

Doubt you'll get an answer to that question........ I just saw something crawl back under a rock

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'm not at all sure that I agree that losing Lester, Lackey and Miller were "great trades". I don't see how giving up the core of your pitching staff is a good thing in the long run but then again they didn't ask me.

1-I'd have preferred to extend Lackey than to trade him, and I don't care for the players we got, but they could be good buy-low candidates.

2-On Lester, I'd have preferred prospects, but I also don't know what was available.

3-OTOH, I love the Miller trade.  We traded roughly 20-25 IPs of an excellent RP for a top-65 prospect.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

sure but I didn't realize we were evaluating their body of work

BTW which is the the most successful franchise in baseball since uncle geo & co took over

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Here - let's get objective about this.

Most successful teams by World Series wins

Last 5 years SF

Last 10 years Boston

Last 15 years Boston/NYY

Last 20 years NYY

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I'm not at all sure that I agree that losing Lester, Lackey and Miller were "great trades". I don't see how giving up the core of your pitching staff is a good thing in the long run but then again they didn't ask me.

1-I'd have preferred to extend Lackey than to trade him, and I don't care for the players we got, but they could be good buy-low candidates.

2-On Lester, I'd have preferred prospects, but I also don't know what was available.

3-OTOH, I love the Miller trade.  We traded roughly 20-25 IPs of an excellent RP for a top-65 prospect.

Joe,  Not concerned with what you PREFER.........   SON, this is a BUSINESS, as such it has to be run as one.............  BEN & the boys will take care of things.......  Every player has a SHELF LIFE that with the rules of FREE AGENCY determines when & how moves are made !!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Here - let's get objective about this.

Most successful teams by World Series wins

Last 5 years SF

Last 10 years Boston

Last 15 years Boston/NYY

Last 20 years NYY

talk about cherry picking !!!!!!!

'Last 20 years NYY'

!!!!! Y stop there !!!!

LOL nut just having fun

a very magnanimous post on your part

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Kimmie said:

sure but I didn't realize we were evaluating their body of work

BTW which is the the most successful franchise in baseball since uncle geo & co took over

...and how many since uncle geo passed away?  Uncle geo did fine.  It's the "& co." that seems to be the problem.

BUT ... getting back to my original point, some people choose to point to the "finishing last" as being a sign of FO ineptitude when actually it was a necessary step in the retooling process. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

• You have chosen to ignore posts from scottwad. Show scottwad's posts

After being tortured as a fan from the early 70's,80's,90s' and up to 2004, the last 10 years have been fine for me. Some puzzling moves by the FO in the past six years. Think about being a Cubs fan! Depression.

scottwad24

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

and technically if we go back 6 years from today we would be in august of 2008.  In which case we've reached the playoffs 1/2 of the time reached the ALCS 1/3 of the time and won the world series one of those times. And only ONE losing season, although this year will most likely be 2.

We could go with a 2 year sample size and say the Sox win the world series 50% of the time.  If the Sox come back and make it to the playoffs next year then it changes everything.

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

...and how many since uncle geo passed away? Uncle geo did fine. It's the "& co." that seems to be the problem.

FTR uncle geo stepped down B4 09

BUT ... getting back to my original point, some people choose to point to the "finishing last" as being a sign of FO ineptitude when actually it was a necessary step in the retooling process.

and I thanked U for it

and then U turned this into a mini pissing match

• You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

...and how many since uncle geo passed away? Uncle geo did fine. It's the "& co." that seems to be the problem.

FTR uncle geo stepped down B4 09

and I thanked U for it

and then U turned this into a mini pissing match

Do you think George stepped down and out, Zac? My understanding is, he stepped down in name only, and Hank and Hall stepped in, to be groomed for the day dear old Dad couldn't function as the head of the franchise any longer. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

• Sections
    Shortcuts