Owner's Strike Gathering Steam

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Owner's Strike Gathering Steam

MLB insiders report today that an Owner's strike, a heretofore unthought of development is gathering steam and becoming a strong possibility. Owners are tired of being the fountain of capital in this Billionaire Boys Club they share with the players, and think it's time for the players to have, "some skin in the game". NNY owner Bluster Steinbrenner has already made good on not going over the salary cap, and said, "Look, playing for the Yankees is a priviledge, and that priviledge ought to cost more than a few face whiskers, If you want to put on Pinstripes, it's going to cost you."

The first pre strike stategy is to stop making trades, said Dodger owner Earvin "Magic" Johnson, "It's an old baseball adage that the best trades are the ones you never make, so I've asked my partners to make sure that we only make the best trades"

The owners also want the players to agree to play two World Series per year, in order to spread the thrill of victory around the fraternity, "Look some teams take two lifetimes to win a World Series, we don't think that's fair to fans of the Cubs, Pirates and Royals, we think fans of every team will appreciate doubling their chances." said commish for life Bud Selig. A pre season World Series would take the place of Spring Training in intial plans seen by this reporter.

While there is some wiggle room on some of these stands, the owners all avowed they will not move one iota from their Division of Eye Candy position. "It's simply not fair that revenue is split virtually 50-50, but the players still take home 90% of the Eye Candy." Most of the owners are getting up there in age, but, "we still have needs" said an un-named owner.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Owner's Strike Gathering Steam

Laughing

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

John Henry must have gotten in with the 10%. He did well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

All the owners need to do, is to stop funding FREE AGENCY !!!....  The control will change quickly after that !!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

All the owners need to do, is to stop funding FREE AGENCY !!!....  The control will change quickly after that !!

Thats called "collusion". They got caught doing that in the late 80's and it cost them millions.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Thats called "collusion". They got caught doing that in the late 80's and it cost them millions.

"LET ME BE CLEAR", Stop funding it in a "crazy way", meaning stop throwing BIG $$$$$$ at 30+ year olds on the "back 9"  !!!!  We all know a bunch of those players... BTW, Hows John Lackey's arm this morning ?????    B I N G O    !!!!!!!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

You people are aware that this is a joke right? Geesh...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Just hanging in there waiting for todays 1:07 start .....   BTW, Welcome home, SON  !!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Don't think they got it

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Are you an opponent of the free market system?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Are you an opponent of the free market system?

Well, it is here and has been for 40 +- years.......  I would love to see MOON do a spread sheet on the history......  The Yank$ & $ox, have been the leaders on the board with bum contracts over the last 10 +- years or so ......  My opinion & the Red $ox are grasping it (since Theo) is that it is a "suckers racket" and those chickes have come home to roost !!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In Ken Burns's magnificent series, Baseball, the narrator points out that before Curt Flood broke the reserve clause the average player earned 7 times the salary of the average fan.  Afterward, it was 7 x 7 (50 times as much), and today players make even more.   

MLB, however, is still profitable despite some of those insane salary packages, the worst of which is clearly A-Rod's with the Yankees.  Thanks to Curt Flood and the MLBPA and all those agents, the players are simply getting a bigger share of the profits.

The ongoing problem for MLB is ensuring the small market teams remain viable.  Thus the luxury tax which seems to be having some effect, most notably on the Yankees and the Red Sox.  Last year was a fascinating example of how one big money club, the Sox, saw the need to dump both salary and less than stellar performance/leadership, and how another, the Dodgers, had a compelling need to make a big splash with big salaries (and hopefully some talent).  Jury is still out on that one, but I think the Sox made the right move. 

Meanwhile teams like Oakland, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Tampa, etc, etc must continue to find ways to do more with less--more performance, less salary.  I mention the Athletics, Twins, and Rays because by and large they have done very well with relatively small salary bases.  Oakland in particular seems to have benefitted from what amounts to Red Sox castoffs--Crisp, Lowrie, and Reddick. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

apparently not, carnie...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

In Ken Burns's magnificent series, Baseball, the narrator points out that before Curt Flood broke the reserve clause the average player earned 7 times the salary of the average fan.  Afterward, it was 7 x 7 (50 times as much), and today players make even more.   

MLB, however, is still profitable despite some of those insane salary packages, the worst of which is clearly A-Rod's with the Yankees.  Thanks to Curt Flood and the MLBPA and all those agents, the players are simply getting a bigger share of the profits.

The ongoing problem for MLB is ensuring the small market teams remain viable.  Thus the luxury tax which seems to be having some effect, most notably on the Yankees and the Red Sox.  Last year was a fascinating example of how one big money club, the Sox, saw the need to dump both salary and less than stellar performance/leadership, and how another, the Dodgers, had a compelling need to make a big splash with big salaries (and hopefully some talent).  Jury is still out on that one, but I think the Sox made the right move. 

Meanwhile teams like Oakland, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Tampa, etc, etc must continue to find ways to do more with less--more performance, less salary.  I mention the Athletics, Twins, and Rays because by and large they have done very well with relatively small salary bases.  Oakland in particular seems to have benefitted from what amounts to Red Sox castoffs--Crisp, Lowrie, and Reddick. 

Nice post, Max.  And yes I understand the OP was a joke.  To carry this a bit further on a more serious note, we can always debate which came first, the higher salaries or the higher ticket prices. 

I'm a believer in the free market system so I believe the higher ticket prices would have come along whether the players were getting the big salaries or not.  Part of the free market system is charging for a product 'what the market will bear' and the Boston market will obviously bear the prices they're charging - as long as the Sox continue to put a quality product on the field.  Whether the Boston market would bear a high enough ticket price to support a poorer quality team is yet to be determined.

@Bill now..

I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but I somewhat agree with him.  (You know what they say about blind squirrels and acorns.  Smile)

It takes at least two people to collude so if the owners decided independently to stop paying the higher salaries those salaries would end, and without collusion.  I'm sure the owners would like to do that but they rightfully don't trust one another enough to try it!

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

"LET ME BE CLEAR", Stop funding it in a "crazy way", meaning stop throwing BIG $$$$$$ at 30+ year olds on the "back 9"  !!!!  We all know a bunch of those players... BTW, Hows John Lackey's arm this morning ?????    B I N G O    !!!!!!!!!!

i don't know how lackey's arm is this morning, but, as usual, your brain continues to be on the DL.

Are you related to CONAN ?????  Just wondering as your posts are very much alike .........  Usually, not much to them !!!

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Let me make one thing clear despite my post.  I think MLB salaries are insane at the upper end and were one of the causes of the MLBPA basically defending PED's.  Big money becomes a very big temptation.  But owners are culpable as well because they are the ones--the big market clubs, anyway--paying those big salaries.  As bad as the Yankees contract with A-Rod is, it's worthwhile to remember it was the Texas owner who gave A-Rod that first $250M ten year contract when he was in his twenties (early twenties?).  After the 2003 season, the Sox had a shot at getting A-Rod, who was willing to take a salary cut to play for a winning franchise, but the MLBPA blocked the deal because A-Rod had become the standard bearer for all MLBPA salaries. 

Sections
Shortcuts