Ozzie suspended five games....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHBALLFAN. Show NHBALLFAN's posts

Ozzie suspended five games....

....by the Marlins. Be prepared for more punishment (IMO)....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

Re: Ozzie suspended five games....

i dont see the big deal with this, he made ignorant comments he apologized. if the Team suspends him i can understand i dont think MLB should get involved tho

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Sounds like the type of suspension that they hope will placate the local Cuban population. 

But here's the problem.  He stated his opinion.  That's how he feels.  Do the Cuban ex-pats have a problem with him stating his opinion or do they have a problem with how he feels?  If they have a problem with him stating his opinion, then it's all a bunch of BS.  And if they have a problem with how he feels about Castro, then nothing short of being fired would suffice.

It's one thing to punish someone for something that they've done.  But Ozzie didn't do anything wrong.  He has the wrong opinion.  And just because he's been punished doesn't mean he doesn't have the same opinion.

I mean, what's he going to say, as a result of being suspended, I no longer respect Castro?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Translation.....

"Sorry Cuban community, please still come to our expensive new ballpark and pick up some gear with the new logo."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Charles2008. Show Charles2008's posts

It is an asinine "opinion".  I frankly don't know what he was saying and probably saying it just to be contraversial.  

It is one thing to say I don't care about the cuban embargo, and another thing altogether to say I admire a rusthless dictator.

Unfortunately, in Miami, it would be just as bad to say either.  Nobody has the guts to stand up to teh cuban-american community in Miami and tell them that THEY are the best thing that ever happened to Castro.  Without that asinine embargo, there would be no Castro right now.  Without it, the natural forces of progress would have done away with that regime about the same time all other communist regimes crumbled.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

As was over stated this morning on WEEI up here in boston, D & C and every caller into the show said that Ozzie took an overdose of "stupid" pills when he made those statements. The Cuban American community is totally enraged over this and I don't blame them.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Ozzie suspended five games....:
    Translation..... "Sorry Cuban community, please still come to our expensive new ballpark and pick up some gear with the new logo."
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

+1

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

Sounds like the type of suspension that they hope will placate the local Cuban population.  But here's the problem.  He stated his opinion.  That's how he feels.  Do the Cuban ex-pats have a problem with him stating his opinion or do they have a problem with how he feels?  If they have a problem with him stating his opinion, then it's all a bunch of BS.  And if they have a problem with how he feels about Castro, then nothing short of being fired would suffice. It's one thing to punish someone for something that they've done.  But Ozzie didn't do anything wrong.  He has the wrong opinion.  And just because he's been punished doesn't mean he doesn't have the same opinion. I mean, what's he going to say, as a result of being suspended, I no longer respect Castro?
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

GREAT post.  That says it all...not what he said, but he how feels and the resulting concequences that come with feeling that way, in that community.  He could say that in Chicago, and he'd get booed in Miami, but most people in Chicago wouldn't care.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Translation..... "Sorry Cuban community, please still come to our expensive new ballpark and pick up some gear with the new logo."

Ding, ding ding.!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kamdog. Show Kamdog's posts

As was over stated this morning on WEEI up here in boston, D & C and every caller into the show said that Ozzie took an overdose of "stupid" pills when he made those statements. The Cuban American community is totally enraged over this and I don't blame them.
    Posted by Hammah29r2

It was his regular dose, not an over dose.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pass-the-hubris-please. Show Pass-the-hubris-please's posts

I am a bit intrigued that anyone would take Ozzie seriously. His tongue is permanently stuck in his cheek.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

People are always looking for a reason to be offended.  Did anyone notice that he also called Castro a son of a b**ch in the same sentence? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I am a bit intrigued that anyone would take Ozzie seriously. His tongue is permanently stuck in his cheek.
    Posted by Pass-the-hubris-please

With all due, I don't think for a second he was joking when he said that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Exactly, TMWC. This is all being orchestrated by the organization for damage control. Not sure a 5 game suspension and an I'm sorry is going to do it this time, though. Ozzie gives new meaning to not thinking before speaking, if at all.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pass-the-hubris-please. Show Pass-the-hubris-please's posts

In response to "Re: Ozzie suspended five games....":
    In Response to Re: Ozzie suspended five games.... : With all due, I don't think for a second he was joking when he said that. Posted by LloydDobler
    Hey Lloyd, how's it going? I don't know the context, but when I first read it, I chuckled. "They been trying to kill that son of a beech for 60 years and he's still here!" This does not strike me as a serious political stance or allegiance. Just a typical Ozzie Guillen gaffe in the middle of a large community of Cubans, some of whom are refugees or children and grandchildren of refugees whose relatives and friends were on the wrong side of a political coup. All of which are horrific.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Fire him. He always lets his butt over load his mouth !!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to "Re: Ozzie suspended five games....": Hey Lloyd, how's it going? I don't know the context, but when I first read it, I chuckled. "They been trying to kill that son of a beech for 60 years and he's still here!" This does not strike me as a serious political stance or allegiance. Just a typical Ozzie Guillen gaffe in the middle of a large community of Cubans, some of whom are refugees or children and grandchildren of refugees whose relatives and friends were on the wrong side of a political coup. All of which are horrific.
    Posted by Pass-the-hubris-please

Hey back, bro ... By the way, can I call you Hub for short?

Honestly, I think Guillen was trying to praise Castro's longevity, like you said. But saying anything positive about Castro in Miami is just too stupid for words.

So looking back, I think you do have a point. I don't think he meant it literally. He has a long, long, LONG history of saying stupid things without thinking. (Like the getting drunk after every game comment in the same interview!).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Is Ozzie the real Softlaw? The incredibly stupid comment Ozzie made is eerily similar to 99% of Softlaw's posts.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHBALLFAN. Show NHBALLFAN's posts

Is Ozzie the real Softlaw? The incredibly stupid comment Ozzie made is eerily similar to 99% of Softlaw's posts.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor
      Who is Softlaw now?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Posted by sindarin-erebor

Razor's edge

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHBALLFAN. Show NHBALLFAN's posts

In Response to Ozzie suspended five games....:
    ....by the Marlins. Be prepared for more punishment (IMO)....
    Posted by NHBALLFAN
     Wow. I just saw a clip of a baseball game being played in Cuba with Bud Selig sitting next to Fidel Castro...what to think ??

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHBALLFAN. Show NHBALLFAN's posts

In Response to Re: Ozzie suspended five games.... : other than cigars, the best crop cuba produces is baseball players.
    Posted by mryazz
     Yeah, but I just saw Selig's denouncement of Ozzie's comments about Castro and, lo and behold, there's Bud chumming up with Fidel at a baseball game in Cuba....I'm sure Bud wasn't telling Castro he sucked....

Sections
Shortcuts