Package Salty for Ring?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Package Salty for Ring?

Back when Salty was trying to catch Wake I was venemous about the passed balls and down on him. Since then he's addressed many of his negatives, and in spite of his tendancy to swoon late in the season, his stock at the moment is high.

Supposing that a multi-player / multi-way deal could take care of the issues about who gets what they need and from whom, I've been wondering ...

I'm guessing that Salty would only extend as a free agent ... Otherwise you could offer the possibility of signing him and then trading him for more than a rental.

Given Lester's swoon and Buck's brittleness, we need another arm to have any chance of a ring this year. I don't know if we can reach down and satisfy that need ...

Are there any rentals out there that would do the trick? Any that could be extended?

What power bat might be available as a rental and where would you put them?

Back to catchers: Lavarnway seems to be struggling at the plate this year. In the past few weeks he's looked like less of a reasonable DH option. That begs the question for me about how many catchers we can afford to carry on the 40-man roster. Who to bring up? Who to deal? Leave the minors with little talent and replenish thru rule five? International draft? Deals?

We're not going to be extending Salty a qualifying offer, and if he accepted a 3/27, that would mean we'd be more than tripling our cash outlay in the catcher position. He's not going to be tripling his production / improvement, and I'm thinking some other team might want him more at trade deadline. With Ross and the talent on hand, I think we could conserve some $$ in that position and have it available for other big plays.

After our last two years I think it's pretty amazing that we are where we are, and that the playoffs are within our reach. But without some extra help, it's not a lock.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Package Salty for Ring?

You lose a ton of offense and Im sure the pitchers wouldnt be happy or nearly as comfortable throwing to Ross/? the rest of the season. You just dont disrupt that just so you can get some B level prospect before he possibly walks.

Dealing Salty make 0 sense. He might or might not sign an extension, but he is more valuable to this team this year than what we would get in return. Id be willing to bat that the Sox arent even thinking about dealing salty.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I have always said that in the right deal, I would trade SALTY in a heartbeat !!!!  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Salty is playing great.  He even threw out two baserunners yesterday.  He has come a long way this year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

You just dont disrupt that just so you can get some B level prospect before he possibly walks.

The graveyard is full of indispensible people.

They've hit a rough patch, but no matter how many body parts you lop off the Yankees, they seem to find ways to win. We would not fall apart without Salty.

Why don't you take a minute to read and address some of the other issues / questions raised in the OP.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Salty is playing great.  He even threw out two baserunners yesterday.  He has come a long way this year.

No argument. His stock is high.

Considering the other factors, and the original question regarding a "package", can you imagine that anyone available at trade deadline might put us more in a position to pick up a ring than Salty?

My answer is: Maybe!

My questions involve who that might be, and what you would consider trading for a serious shot at a ring?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

You have to look at who we would match up with in a deadline trade.  Presumably it would be a team in contention who would be interested in Salty, or Ellsbury or Drew.  But they are not likely to be offering a good pitcher in return.  It would likely have to be a 3-team trade.

I would consider trading Ellsbury or Drew before trading Salty.  Trading your starting catcher is much too disruptive to the team IMO.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

When your in 1st place, less is more. Keep using the Farm if you need reserves.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

You just dont disrupt that just so you can get some B level prospect before he possibly walks.

They've hit a rough patch, but no matter how many body parts you lop off the Yankees, they seem to find ways to win. We would not fall apart without Salty.

Why don't you take a minute to read and address some of the other issues / questions raised in the OP.

Right now the Red Sox are playing .600 ball and are in first place in the ALE. I think it would be unwise to trade away your starting catcher and rock the boat. If we are out of contention or headed south by the trade deadline its a different story, but for now, no major trades unless its a steal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

I have always said that in the right deal, I would trade SALTY in a heartbeat !!!!  

Yeah, but in your opinion, what's the right AVAILABLE deal?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

We scarcely have two catchers right now, and no one in the minors worth promoting at this point.  If we traded Salty, we either go with Ross every night, until he collapses, or trade for another catcher.  Either I am missing something, or else this makes no sense.

Are you suggesting that we go with Ross and Lavarnway the rest of the way?

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I did read the whole OP and commented. The title says Salty for a ring, so I commented on that. Sorry if that didnt satisfy you. Allow me to try and do just that...

I think we can get a deal done without salty, and should leave the catching alone. Lavarnway can not be trusted to take most of the games and Ross is still struggling after the concussion and certainly cant take most of the games. That, to me, is very obvious.

As far as whos available? I dont know right now. It depends on where other teams stand at the deadline, and what teams that are sellers have. SP and BP help are possibilities right now. We also have some depth in the MiL that we can dip into without possibly having to make a trade. I cant get specific until the time gets closer. A lot can happen in 4-6 weeks and our needs, as well as other teams, could change. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Right now the Red Sox are playing .600 ball and are in first place in the ALE. I think it would be unwise to trade away your starting catcher and rock the boat. If we are out of contention or headed south by the trade deadline its a different story, but for now, no major trades unless its a steal.

The question is NOT about whether you want to have a good season. We can make no changes and have a much improved season over the past two years.

The question is about whether you want to make the playoffs, how far into the playoffs you want to go, and what you're willing to do to get there.

I don't think we even make it to the World Series with our current rotation. Lackey and Dempster have been giving us good outings of late, but there's trouble at the top and bottom.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

When your in 1st place, less is more. Keep using the Farm if you need reserves.

And that's enough for a ring?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to teddybaseball009's comment:

I have never been a salty fan for sure but at this point of the season he is doing well enough IMO to keep. There are a couple of catchers I would rather have in san fran and minn but they would both be pretty much untouchable or so darn expensive. I have been more than surprised by this years team. We are not strong enough to win the ring. So it is up to Mr. Henry. Does he want another WS or not. If he does, he will support getting another arm (Lee or a look alike) and another strong bat (prefer right handed). Carp should be used more and more as I have said before. He is far more valuable than many believed. I have no problem dealing Lav, Drew, Ells as part of a deal to bring pitching and right handed bat. Like to get Paps back too. I would also be agreeable to deal Lester if he does not come around real soon. I would listen to deals for Felix as well. If we could upgrade those two pitchers with the help of lav, drew and ells great.

Farrell is managing the playing time for players pretty good IMO. Things usually have a way of working themselves out. Naps is out which is allowing Carp more AB for an example. Hes giving WMB every opportunity to be that big bat from the right side before they decide hes not the answer. Could Bogy be the answer? I like Paps too, but it might cost more than they are willing to give. Detroit has a bigger need than we do there and might be willing to overpay to get him.

Your NOT getting top pitching that can help us this year for 2 month rentals. Teams that are selling top pitching are probably not in contention, and therefore have no need for Ells Drew or Salty. You will have to give up top prospects for top pitching, SP or Closer. Doubront is doing just fine as a #5, has great potential, and is under control. Oh, and hes hitting 93-94 on the gun again. Id keep him unless he is the piece that can get us another pitcher at least under control through next year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The only way we could get a pitcher back for Ellsbury or Drew is with a third team involved.  We trade Ellsbury/Drew to Team A.  They send a prospect or two to Team B.  Team B sends a pitcher to us.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Back when Salty was trying to catch Wake I was venemous about the passed balls and down on him. Since then he's addressed many of his negatives, and in spite of his tendancy to swoon late in the season, his stock at the moment is high.

Supposing that a multi-player / multi-way deal could take care of the issues about who gets what they need and from whom, I've been wondering ...

I'm guessing that Salty would only extend as a free agent ... Otherwise you could offer the possibility of signing him and then trading him for more than a rental.

Given Lester's swoon and Buck's brittleness, we need another arm to have any chance of a ring this year. I don't know if we can reach down and satisfy that need ...

Are there any rentals out there that would do the trick? Any that could be extended?

What power bat might be available as a rental and where would you put them?

Back to catchers: Lavarnway seems to be struggling at the plate this year. In the past few weeks he's looked like less of a reasonable DH option. That begs the question for me about how many catchers we can afford to carry on the 40-man roster. Who to bring up? Who to deal? Leave the minors with little talent and replenish thru rule five? International draft? Deals?

We're not going to be extending Salty a qualifying offer, and if he accepted a 3/27, that would mean we'd be more than tripling our cash outlay in the catcher position. He's not going to be tripling his production / improvement, and I'm thinking some other team might want him more at trade deadline. With Ross and the talent on hand, I think we could conserve some $$ in that position and have it available for other big plays.

After our last two years I think it's pretty amazing that we are where we are, and that the playoffs are within our reach. But without some extra help, it's not a lock.

At this point Salty is hitting and his value high so I agree his stock could never be greater.  However, I don't see it happening and it may disrupt the staff.

I also agree a blockbuster for another top starter would probably give us a much greater chance to win another ring much sooner than expected.  Doubront and one of our young farm pitchers along with two or three positional players could probably get it done without trading Salty right now, or drastically hurting our future.

Thats if a team would be willing to trade one of their best SP's to help grow their future.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenchylfcnsox. Show tenchylfcnsox's posts

The current rotation and starting line up has put us in first place and they seem like they have a very good dynamic going on. No shortage of leaders in their either. Throw in the production you would anticipate from WMB and Drew and theres no reason to think we've seen the best of this team. 

Crawford and Gonzalez and the Phillies superstar had everyone predicting a RS vs Phillies World Series, this was years Angels were supposed to be unbeatable. The only position I would be concerned about now is the 9th inning because Bailey looks very hittable at the moment.

YNWA - JFT96

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to tenchylfcnsox's comment:

The current rotation and starting line up has put us in first place and they seem like they have a very good dynamic going on. No shortage of leaders in their either. Throw in the production you would anticipate from WMB and Drew and theres no reason to think we've seen the best of this team. 

Crawford and Gonzalez and the Phillies superstar had everyone predicting a RS vs Phillies World Series, this was years Angels were supposed to be unbeatable. The only position I would be concerned about now is the 9th inning because Bailey looks very hittable at the moment.

YNWA - JFT96

Bailey is certainly not Pap and our starting pitching is still one good arm from possibly beating a team like Detroit in the PS.

JUST MY OPINION FROM THE START OF THE YEAR!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

I don't think we trade Ells if we're looking for the ring. His batting has been coming back around, he's tearing up the bases and who knows? He could even find his power again. If we deal him, how do we replace all that?

At this rate he for sure walks on a QO, and we get compensation.

I think Salty + Drew are pieces that we can win without. Of course it will be a multi-way deal.

Can we bring up an arm from the farm that will catch fire and do it all for us? Isn't that a little too much to hope for?

The Dogers deal will go down in the annals of baseball history as a gift from God. It's just not going to happen ever again that we'll dump underperforming pieces and get out from under so much salary so cheaply.

That's why I'm talking about Salty about part of a deal NOW, when his stock is sky high.

If I'm really to believe posters here that he is so invaluable that he can't be touched, I don't see how we avoid extending him a QO, or at the very least offer him millions more than anyone else would.

I personally think that there are some GMs that would think his swing would perfectly match their ballparks. They'd love to have 25hr potential from a catcher. And his numbers might be likely to rise if he played in another division / league / other pitchers.

Trade him when his stock is high. We can think of a way to live without him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

No. He has his annoying habits, but has made huge strides. I say not only keep him, but sign him long term. Hes finally starting to match his potential. The one question is whether or not he'll stay strong in late summer.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Ok trade him and then you Neither of which can hit their weight.

Trade Ells and use JBjr a guy who has not proved anything.

Yes sir let us break up this winningh team.

Just do not understand the constant trade threads at this point in the season.

Love the Red Sox and enjoy the ride every year

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenchylfcnsox. Show tenchylfcnsox's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

In response to tenchylfcnsox's comment:

YNWA - JFT96

Bailey is certainly not Pap and our starting pitching is still one good arm from possibly beating a team like Detroit in the PS.

JUST MY OPINION FROM THE START OF THE YEAR!

I honestly think that when you get to the post season anything can happen. Cabrera could have a bad stretch or Verlander could get shelled a couple of times, these things happen. Getting into the playoffs is the tough part, over 162 games weaknesses get eexposed and the cream rises to the top. Over a three series stretch any team and any player can catch fire. 

For me its deeply unfair that success is measured in world series and playoff success. Sustained, consistent wins over a sixth month period are more of a measure of a teams ability than three series' to end the season. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Ok trade him and then you Neither of which can hit their weight.

Trade Ells and use JBjr a guy who has not proved anything.

Yes sir let us break up this winningh team.

Just do not understand the constant trade threads at this point in the season.

Love the Red Sox and enjoy the ride every year

Also need to trade Dempster and bring up Raunando, or whatever the heck his name is--Im sure he'll be fine. Trade Ortiz for a quality SP, and let Gomes DH.

Sections
Shortcuts