Package Salty for Ring?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Re: Package Salty for Ring?

In response to georom4's comment:

no Salty, no ring...get that thru your skull!

That's an assertion, not an argument. Why don't you lay out your case for why it just can't happen without him?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

[QUOTE]no Salty, no ring...get that thru your skull!

That's an assertion, not an argument. Why don't you lay out your case for why it just can't happen without him?

[/QUOTE]

because he is one of the most va;uable hitting catchers in the league and provides the sox with much needed power? how would that trade improve the team? especially with our current back ups?  we need to keep our starters and acquire a top of line pitcher...we cant affors to subtract any starter

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

because he is one of the most va;uable hitting catchers in the league and provides the sox with much needed power? how would that trade improve the team? especially with our current back ups?  we need to keep our starters and acquire a top of line pitcher...we cant affors to subtract any starter

I wouldn't unload any long-control starter unless it could land us a big arm in the process.

Salty's hitting great ... NOW.

Will it continue?

We have as much depth at catcher as anywhere else. We have a more than able replacement at short.

Some here are saying that the rotation falls apart without Salty. I don't see it. He's still here and parts of the rotation are already suffering. Do we blame him for that? No. He can't throw the ball and catch it at the same time.

If Buck keeps needing stretches off and Lester doesn't bounce back, we are going nowhere. Salty could put on the best catching performance of his life and not change that.

What would change that is a quality arm. I think there are bound to be some guys out there that would be eager to play for a contender.

It may never happen, but is it so hard to imagine?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Salty isn't going anywhere.  I could see the Sox looking to upgrade at the catching position but the bar is set so low there and there are slim options to replace him that I just see him staying.  Lava is a part time catcher at best and Ross is a part time guy.  No real prospects in the system that could help out any time soon.  Vasquez is a nice guy who may be there defensively but will not hit at the MLB level and Swihart/Denney are years away.   There is really just not that many options out there.  When you look at what most teams are dealing with behind the plate you start to appreciate Salty a little bit more.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]no Salty, no ring...get that thru your skull!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree; we shouldn't trade Salty. However, the theory is not hard to understand: you trade Salty and the gain at the return position is higher than the loss at catcher.

Secondly, the trading of Salty could be done with the idea that he will slump badly again this August and September, so the loss of offense is not as great as it might appear on paper right now. It's not such a far-fetched idea, since Salty was at a .917 OPS last June 5th and .867 on June 21st and ended up at .742. In 2011, he was at .812 on August 1st and ended up at .737.

OPS in Aug / Sept

2011  .749  .542

2012  .591  .662 (They rested salty a lot as they gave Lava a chance to shine)

If you can accept that Salty is likely to hit .600 this August/Sept, which I do not think will happen, then trading Salty while his value is high, and his contract is about to expire makes a lot sense.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Just last year people wanted Salt gone... Now they want to keep him... Two face animals...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

I have always said that in the right deal, I would trade SALTY in a heartbeat !!!!  

And you've always been wrong, as proven by his steady improvement over the past few years.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

I'd trade him if we were landing Brian McCann. However a healthy Ross to go along with Salty is a decent tandem.

McCann has a bit more offense than salty, but provides nothing better on defense. Hes been slumping as of late after a hot start coming off shoulder surgery. McCanns CS% is 1% better than Saltys over their careers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Ross' concussion reinjury is very worrisome, and almost completely negates any discussion of dealing a healthy, younger catcher. No Ross, no redundancy.

If he's experiencing additional concussions even with the extra padding then he may have come back too soon, and is now dealing with "second impact syndrome".

Foul tips to the mask are practically an everyday occurrance. Ross may not have a lot of baseball left in him.

Lets bring on Lava and Vazquez and see what they can do.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I wonder why Ross continues to use that goalie type mask. Salty has taken many many more balls off the mask. Direct hits to all areas, and has had no issues. Maybe Ross should go old school like Salty does.

Lavarnway called up/

Big tip of the cap to Salty for catching 18 innings yesterday and dealing with a 3hr rain delay. Not an easy thing at all to do.