Papelbon - 200 saves

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Papelbon - 200 saves

Papelbon now has 200 saves in less time and games than any closer in history.

Congrats to Pap!  Keep 'em coming.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Re: Papelbon - 200 saves

Yes, congratulations to the player who is not popular in Boston. Nice work.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

You might have a point. I saw no thread about it. If this was Mariano, there would probably be 15 threads on this board.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

I know I'm right. Most Red Sox fans view Papelbon as this stupid arrogant redneck who is overrated and overpaid. If he was 45 years old and was paid a lot less, and didn't talk much beyond thank you, they would like him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Oh yeah. Nobody appreciates Pap in Boston. I'm sure they long for Gagne.
    Another lame statement. Just watch this thread. It'll be filled with well-wishers.

Of course, this projection is 50/50.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

In Response to Re: Papelbon - 200 saves:
    I know I'm right. Most Red Sox fans view Papelbon as this stupid arrogant redneck who is overrated and overpaid. If he was 45 years old and was paid a lot less, and didn't talk much beyond thank you, they would like him.
    Posted by betterredthandead

OH REALLY?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Elsewhere is an older thread complaining about Pap not getting 1-2-3 innings to close, and I defended him by citing the 200 saves stat, which was reported in the Globe Tues night/Wed morning.  I also used it when chiming in on whether he should be re-signed at the end of this season. 

Papelbon is a huge fan of Mariano Rivera--his "godfather"--but you cannot imagine a demeanor more different.  When he is coming to the mound for a save, Pap is the Big Bad Wolf who will huff and puff and blow your house down.  Rivera is the cool professional, usually expressionless.  Rivera is still great at 39 (or is it 40?). Papelbon might be, but the odds don't favor him.

What you have to like about Pap is that he really loves being a closer.  He embraced it in spring training as soon as it was proposed to him.  And his 200 saves achievement argues he is as good as any closer in the game today.  But it is also clear that he needs that huffing and puffing and that psych job he does on himself to get guys out.  Thus is he less good at pitching in non-save situations. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Of course you're right!  This explains the 10's of thousands of Papelbon T-Shirts throughout the greater Boston area!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Yes, congratulations to the player who is not popular in Boston. Nice work.

Sox fans hate Papelbon like they hate Ortiz.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nickarcese. Show nickarcese's posts

Like it or not, Paps remains our mojo...he falters, our season goes up in flames

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Thought Eck did it faster. Paps is second. But good that he did it. Keep it going.
    Posted by bobbysu

I think they don't count Eck because he was already a grizzled veteran starter before he ever even sniffed the closer role.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Of course, this projection is 50/50.

Of course there was a brilliant poster who said it was 100% certain AGon would be fire sold on the market last winter, and 50/50 that it would be to the Red Sox with the 50/50 only because of the competition on farm talent and the contract extension agreement requirement.

Contract that to you, Harness, who said "100% guarantee AGon will be a Padre on 2011 opening day".

You have no credibility, and never have had any crediblity.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from steelheadfisherman. Show steelheadfisherman's posts

Of course, this projection is 50/50. Of course there was a brilliant poster who said it was 100% certain AGon would be fire sold on the market last winter, and 50/50 that it would be to the Red Sox with the 50/50 only because of the competition on farm talent and the contract extension agreement requirement. Contract that to you, Harness, who said "100% guarantee AGon will be a Padre on 2011 opening day". You have no credibility, and never have had any crediblity.

I feel bad for you. I post on this board when I have sick child sleeping (today) or insomnia etc. You seem to spend a whole lot of time on a computer insulting people and trying in vain to convince people that you are right. It's pretty sad man. I wouldn't want to trade places with you, that's for sure. It's gotta be tough to wake up knowing that you have to spend all day with an angry man. Good luck.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

In Response to Papelbon - 200 saves:
    Papelbon now has 200 saves in less time and games than any closer in history. Congrats to Pap!  Keep 'em coming.
    Posted by kimsaysthis

Clearly that makes him the greatest of all time.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Would you trade Pap to Texas for Feliz or to KC for Soria? or for any other closer?

I like Pap and I'm thrilled he's done so well--I think we need to go forward; I realize this will not be popular but it's the way I feel.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Would you trade Pap to Texas for Feliz or to KC for Soria? or for any other closer? I like Pap and I'm thrilled he's done so well--I think we need to go forward; I realize this will not be popular but it's the way I feel.
    Posted by MadMc44

Absolutely not, Soria has been so bad this season he lost his closing job.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Of course, this projection is 50/50. Of course there was a brilliant poster who said it was 100% certain AGon would be fire sold on the market last winter, and 50/50 that it would be to the Red Sox with the 50/50 only because of the competition on farm talent and the contract extension agreement requirement. Contract that to you, Harness, who said "100% guarantee AGon will be a Padre on 2011 opening day". You have no credibility, and never have had any crediblity.

I'm alarmed you could even spell credibility, as many times as you've been banned from BDC. 50/50 take on a baseball forum is pure gutless.
    You have a fear of being wrong. I can understand it after your takes on Hall/Lugo/Wake/Tek/Jake/Lowrie...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Papelbon - 200 saves : I'm alarmed you could even spell credibility , as many times as you've been banned from BDC. 50/50 take on a baseball forum is pure gutless. You have a fear of being wrong. I can understand it after your takes on Hall/Lugo/Wake/Tek/Jake/Lowrie...
    Posted by harness

Especially Jake, but don't expect him to admit he was wrong.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Hell will freeze over first.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Hell will freeze over first.
    Posted by harness

Also, he would become an enthusiastic Obama supporter first; not that he would tell anybody.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I'll say what I have said for the past two years the RS are nuts not to resign this guy. If they don't it will haunt them. There are few who have not been hurt along the way as closers. He and Mariano have been stalwarts for the past 5 years.

Mariano was born in 1979 making him 42. Mariano was pitching for two years before becoming the FT closer. Then he saved like 210 games in 5 years.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Elsewhere is an older thread complaining about Pap not getting 1-2-3 innings to close, and I defended him by citing the 200 saves stat, which was reported in the Globe Tues night/Wed morning. I also used it when chiming in on whether he should be re-signed at the end of this season. --- Max
    ---------------------------------------------

Max, to be honest, your post is what made me look for a thread in the first place. Since it happened the day before, I thought there would be a thread. When I saw there wasn't, I started this one. I was tempted to say something about you, but I didn't know if you wanted to start a thread about it, so I left you out. jsyk

I also agree about Paps. He is a natural closer. He loves when the heat is on, and everything is on the line. So, you're right, he doesn't fit other situations. I'm still extremely happy to have him as our closer, and hope they do find a way to keep him around after this season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Thanks to the fans who showed some love for Paps.  He deserves it.

Sections
Shortcuts