Papelbon - 200 saves

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Papelbon - 200 saves

Paps epitomizes fire in the belly.
    I think his burning motivation enhances his stuff.

I was for/am for retaining him and I think the FO will seriously entertain this idea after the season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Papelbon - 200 saves:
    [QUOTE]Paps epitomizes fire in the belly. I think his burning motivation enhances his stuff. I was for/am for retaining him and I think the FO will seriously entertain this idea after the season.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

I'm on the fence when it comes to bringing Pap back.  I would love to have him but the price may be a bit high.  As a closer he still saves the majority of his games but this years PS may be his last chance to stay in Boston.  He needs to save the big games down the stretch and in the PS and I'm not sure he still can, especially in the "one run" games. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I think the tougher the situation, the greater the chance it brings out the best in him.

But inking him to a 4-year deal at high cost will have it's drawbacks, I agree.
    The determinate factor will be the alternatives...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Rivera blew a save on Sunday and was unavailable for last night's game with soreness in his right arm.

If Rivera struggles or has health issues in the second half, and Soriano and Joba both with problems, this could make the Yankees serious contenders for a free agent Papelbon.  All things considered Papelbon has been one of the real money closers in the game and he appears to be back in top form.

Would the thought of serious interest from the Yankees entice the Sox to offer Paps an extension?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Rivera blew a save on Sunday and was unavailable for last night's game with soreness in his right arm. If Rivera struggles or has health issues in the second half, and Soriano and Joba both with problems, this could make the Yankees serious contenders for a free agent Papelbon.  All things considered Papelbon has been one of the real money closers in the game and he appears to be back in top form. Would the thought of serious interest from the Yankees entice the Sox to offer Paps an extension?
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

If Mo struggles in the 2nd half, Boston should win the division. I refuse to look beyond that!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Sox fans view Papelbon as this stupid arrogant redneck who is overrated and overpaid. Posted by betterredthandead

red neck ?.............naaaaa

IMO I see him   more  of an HB

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I have said for two years running now to all those Sox fans who want Paps to leave, "for your lips to God's ear". As a Yankee fan, I for one would be very happy not seeing Paps come in to finish a game for Boston. He is a premeir closer and anyone who doesn't see that is blind to the game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Great picture, zac...love it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

thanks nut

as far as resigning paps

it's probably more about if you can replace bard

that said

I think the new CBA is key

we all know how theo loves his draft picks but

if the rumors of no more draft compensation for loosing FA relievers

comes true, that should effect theos thinking as much as any GM

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The-Babe---. Show ---The-Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]Elsewhere is an older thread complaining about Pap not getting 1-2-3 innings to close, and I defended him by citing the 200 saves stat, which was reported in the Globe Tues night/Wed morning. I also used it when chiming in on whether he should be re-signed at the end of this season. --- Max --------------------------------------------- Max, to be honest, your post is what made me look for a thread in the first place. Since it happened the day before, I thought there would be a thread. When I saw there wasn't, I started this one. I was tempted to say something about you, but I didn't know if you wanted to start a thread about it, so I left you out. jsyk I also agree about Paps. He is a natural closer. He loves when the heat is on, and everything is on the line. So, you're right, he doesn't fit other situations. I'm still extremely happy to have him as our closer, and hope they do find a way to keep him around after this season.

Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

He certainly showed it in his last playoff performance......2 yrs ago...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The----Babe----. Show --The----Babe----'s posts

[QUOTE]Elsewhere is an older thread complaining about Pap not getting 1-2-3 innings to close, and I defended him by citing the 200 saves stat, which was reported in the Globe Tues night/Wed morning. I also used it when chiming in on whether he should be re-signed at the end of this season. --- Max --------------------------------------------- Max, to be honest, your post is what made me look for a thread in the first place. Since it happened the day before, I thought there would be a thread. When I saw there wasn't, I started this one. I was tempted to say something about you, but I didn't know if you wanted to start a thread about it, so I left you out. jsyk I also agree about Paps. He is a natural closer. He loves when the heat is on, and everything is on the line. So, you're right, he doesn't fit other situations. I'm still extremely happy to have him as our closer, and hope they do find a way to keep him around after this season.

Yup...as evidenced by his last playoff performance....2 yrs ago.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Papelbon - 200 saves : Yup...as evidenced by his last playoff performance....2 yrs ago.
    Posted by --The----Babe----[/QUOTE]

Obviously he blew that game sky-high, but his total postseason numbers are a 1.00 ERA and a .82 WHIP.  That puts him in Mo's league.  And even Mo has blown a couple of big postseason games.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Mariano Rivera is in a class by himself.  But you gotta admire what Pap has done, including the postseason.  The Babe, once again, reveals he doesn't know much, which is why the Yankees never let him manage--too ignorant. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE] Sox fans view Papelbon as this stupid arrogant redneck who is overrated and overpaid. Posted by betterredthandead  red neck ?.............naaaaa IMO I see him   more  of an HB
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

Zac, maybe you forgot what board you're on. You're not a Sox fan on this board -- at least not under that name. You probably thought you were on another Sox board where you pretend to be a Sox fan. I know it must get confusing for you.

Btw, a tribute thread for a Boston player doing well, and we have to deal with a Yankee fan putting up mocking pics about geography and where he was born. No way this flies on any other team board.

I think all posters who aren't 16 or older emotionally should find a board where they find these kinds of things amusing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from The---Babe---. Show The---Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Papelbon - 200 saves : Zac, maybe you forgot what board you're on. You're not a Sox fan on this board -- at least not under that name. You probably thought you were on another Sox board where you pretend to be a Sox fan. I know it must get confusing for you. Btw, a tribute thread for a Boston player doing well, and we have to deal with a Yankee fan putting up mocking pics about geography and where he was born. No way this flies on any other team board. I think all posters who aren't 16 or older emotionally should find a board where they find these kinds of things amusing.

We can't forget what board we are on BECAUSE YOU REMIND US OF IT IN EVERY ONE OF YOUR POSTS.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Papelbon - 200 saves : Zac, maybe you forgot what board you're on. You're not a Sox fan on this board -- at least not under that name. You probably thought you were on another Sox board where you pretend to be a Sox fan. I know it must get confusing for you. Btw, a tribute thread for a Boston player doing well, and we have to deal with a Yankee fan putting up mocking pics about geography and where he was born. No way this flies on any other team board. I think all posters who aren't 16 or older emotionally should find a board where they find these kinds of things amusing.
    That stuff is not meant to be taken so seriously.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE] In Response to Re: Papelbon - 200 saves : Absolutely not, Soria has been so bad this season he lost his closing job.
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

He lost it for what 4 days?  Personally, I'd rather have a proven closer at relatively cheap money for the next 3.5 years than Paps for the next 0.5 year.

If you figure Paps is going to get at least $12M a year as a FA, then you're talking about a difference of about at least $4.5M a year between the two of them.  That's money that could go to attempt to better round out the bullpen.

By FIP, Soria was the better pitcher in both 2009 (2.74 vs 3.05) and 2010 (2.53 vs 3.51).  I'm going to trust the recent track record over the half season small sample, but that's more of a personal preference.  2011 FIP's are (4.11 vs 2.23), suggesting that Paps should have a much lower ERA than his current 4.01.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from highflysox. Show highflysox's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks to the fans who showed some love for Paps.  He deserves it.

Yeah he deserves it but we all know 2011 will be his last with  the sox unless he lowers his laughable demands of being the highest paid closer .

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

camel toe, how ya doing, haven't been around much lately.  Hope you had a great holiday weekend.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m