Papelbon:"I wasn't talking to the Ump"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Papelbon:"I wasn't talking to the Ump"

From WEEI.com:

There are a lot of events that will get lost in the shuffle of a 14-inning game that features 16 different pitchers, 415 pitches and lasts five hours and 17 minutes. J.D. Drew’s walk-off line drive in the final frame arguably should have been the one to remember. But the one inning that stood out both during the game and in the aftermath was the bottom of the ninth.

The Red Sox entered the top of the ninth up 7-3 with closer Jonathan Papelbon coming in for the non-save situation. What followed seemed like madness.

Papelbon allowed the first two runners to reach on a single and a walk, just his fourth free pass of the season, respectively before striking out Landon Powell for the first out. The eight-pitch base on balls given to Daric Barton had both Papelbon and catcher Jason Varitek shaking their heads as they tried to decipher umpire Tony Randazzo’s strike zone. With one out and runners on first and second, Coco Crisp lined a God-given double play ball to second baseman Dustin Pedroia. But instead of ending the game right there, the ball dribbled through the sure-handed infielder’s legs allowing Mark Ellis to score from second.

Five pitches later, the ninth hitter in the A’s lineup, Cliff Pennington, lined a double to left to minimize the Boston lead to 7-5. At that point, Varitek “lost his cool,” as he put it, because of a perceived lack of consistency on Randazzo’s part, and the Sox captain was soon given the heave ho.

After just one pitch to Ryan Sweeney (a called strike), the closer turned his back to the umpire and asked his new catcher, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, to come meet him for a conference so that the pair could figure out the strike zone together because he believed the pitch was a ball initially. Randazzo took this as an affront by the pitcher and tossed him out of the game as well before making his way to the mound to talk to Papelbon.

The emotional closer, who said later he had never been tossed out of a baseball game at any level, ran toward the ump and began to hoot and holler over the ejection. As Saltalamacchia and Red Sox manager Terry Francona ran toward Papelbon to calm him down, the righty came dangerously close to brushing Randazzo as part of the confrontation, although he claimed he had failed to do so.

Papelbon said later that whole ordeal was over a basic misunderstanding.

“From my perspective, I had my back turned, then I turn around and he’s got his hands up,” he said. “I wasn’t even talking to him. I was talking to Salty. … I said, ‘Salty, come out here. I need to know where that’s at.’ Because some of the pitches that I was not getting were strikes and then I threw one that I thought was a ball and he called it a strike. I’m more or less trying to get Salty out here and say ‘Hey, come talk to me. Let’s figure out this zone so I know how to go about this.’ Because I had no idea what his zone was. I don’t know he may have jumped to the conclusion that I was talking to him.

“When he threw up his arms and started barking at me, I said, ‘Tony, I’m not even talking to you. I’m talking to my catcher.’ I guess he felt like I may have been coming back at him or I may have been showing him up, which I had my back turned after I had been talking to Salty.”

Papelbon admitted later that his emotional outburst certainly could have been handled better, stating, “Could I have gone about things or done things different? Yeah, of course. But in the heat of the battle, that’s a lot easier said than done. … Between the white lines, emotions tend to get intensified and it is what it is.”

Saltalamacchia was a little bit more forthcoming in how he thought the situation should have been handled by the umpire.

“It’s simple. They’ve got a job to do. We’ve got a job to do,” he said. “I think that that one just got out of hand. I don’t think there’s any reason for it. Pap already turned around and walked the other way so we should’ve just left it at that and moved on.”

The umpiring crew itself refused comment to a pool reporter after the game, saying that it could not saying anything until a report on the ejection was filed with the league offices in New York.

Papelbon later acknowledged that he himself had moved on from the incident, but if he had indeed bumped Randazzo, the closer could face additional punishment for the league. Papelbon said that he wasn’t worried about a potential suspension or fine though.

“I don’t have any concerns. I know, now, after the fact maybe I should’ve handled it different like I said. But I can’t control what I did during the heat of the battle. It happened. I’m out there competing. I can’t do anything about that. If the league wants to come down on me the way they want to whether they believe me or not … like I said, I wasn’t trying to maliciously bump him.”

Although he seems to ready to move on from Saturday’s fiasco, the fact still remains that before the ejection the closer had blown a four-run lead, the biggest blown lead of the season for the Red Sox. As a result, Papelbon’s season ERA ballooned 1.04 points to 4.32.

Given that the situation was not eligible for a save, the easy move would have been to bring in Dan Wheeler, who was also warming up prior to the ninth. However, Francona explained later that the decision was part of team policy.

“We’ve always done it this way,” said Francona. “When he’s up loose [and] when we go to four, he’s going to pitch. When we’re five, we were going to bring in Wheeler. And Pap always knows that. He understands it, and I think he agrees with it. He’s up loose. If you bring up someone else, he’s got to stay up loose and that seems like a waste.”

In sum, Papelbon realized that if maybe for a few minor changes, the inning and entire game itself would have gone differently.

“I think that inning was a culmination of a lot of things. Some bloop hits, just a lot of stuff that went on that inning that just built and built and built and exploded on me.”

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

Re: Papelbon:"I wasn't talking to the Ump"

Here is the problem

“We’ve always done it this way,” said Francona

Sealed

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prknsdnld. Show prknsdnld's posts

In Response to Re: Papelbon:"I wasn't talking to the Ump":
    [QUOTE]This is just another example of a Major League Umpire's ego on display and why the league has to get some stones, set some kind of a standard by which umpires can engage a player and if the umpire choses to engage a player then he has the threat of disipline hanging over him too...While I'm on the topic, can we get these guys (blue) to work in the best interest of the game and not themselves. I'm not an advocate of instant replay, but if these guys aren't going to at least try to "get the call right" by conferring amonst themselves on close or questionable calls. Then let's use the same technology, used in every other major sport (instant replay) in the interest of getting it right. Hey Bud, do you realize that there's a host of guys toiling in parks around the country that would love the honor of being a major league umpire, if only for a day, it's time to take on the union and once and for all get these guys to realize, though important, the game is bigger then them and the fans want to see the players play and the umpires to be seen not heard! I get that thier gonna miss some calls, they're only human, but that doesn't mean that they can't use all 8 eyes on the field to try to get it right! Back to Randozza....It's fine that he tossed Tek, who broke the cardinal rule for catchers by turning and facing the umpire and arguing balls and strikes, justified or not by rule he's gone...Ejecting Papelbon was uncalled for and if Papelbon gets suspended for brushing not bumping, as I saw it, so too should Randozza for his handling of the situation.
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]
    Varitek made the big mistake here, in my mind, getting tossed by the ump. It's not the first time he's turned around and got in an ump's face and getting tossed for it. He needs to remember- and I'm sure he's reminding himself this today- that as a catcher, he sees it when the calls go against the other team. This is not like a manager getting tossed, this is the catcher that probably most pitchers on the team would rather have behind the dish.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prknsdnld. Show prknsdnld's posts

[QUOTE]Not trying to stir the pot between Catchers just saying Pitchers have to execute.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]
      I agree. paps might have realized he sucked. Either way, a catcher needs to keep his composure and remember the calls he does get that he shouldn't.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

If Papelbon said nothing directly to the umpire and turned his back to talk to Salty, the umpire should have let it go at that, or simply said, "Make it quick." Umpires are supposed to defuse not inflame touchy situations.  The good ones know how to do it.  Others let their egos get involved.  A pitcher has every right to say to a catcher, "Let's try to figure this guy out."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

I did't see the game as it was not telecast here in Milwaukee and I know the rules, but up until recent years a catcher or pitcher would moan and groan a few words to the Ump and usually the Umpire would walk away or a few words were said and that was it. We don't know what was said, so possibly Tek said something that inflamed the Umpire, but Tek has rarely if ever done that in his career. All that being said, then Paps getting thrown out for turning his back is just plain wrong.

The Umpires are way to sensitive in the modern game and should be subject to censure by the league as well for a bad call. Instead of threatening Paps, fine the Umpire in questions and suspend him a few games. However we know this will never happen !!

The old line "throw the BUM out" should pertain to the Umps as well.

Hetchinspete

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prknsdnld. Show prknsdnld's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Papelbon:"I wasn't talking to the Ump" : I agree that Tek should have handled it better and it was his actions that led to Papelbon getting tossed... Randozza was probably a tad fired up after tek turned and got in his face, which get the crowd into it and makes for a long day for blue. That doesn't however excuse Randozza's handling of Papelbon.  That said, it's not like this is something that Tek does often and frankly I can't remember the last time I saw him turn and call out blue in the middle of an inning...something was amiss and as they say oit takes two to tango...I'm sure leading up to the altercation, Tak did as any catcher would do and question the ump about where a particular pitch was or wasn't, between hitters facing the pitcher...and for Tek to turn and confront him, Randozza must have said something that Varitek took exception too...Just saying that the umpire has the ability to defuse the situation by walking away or simply stating, I'll call em as I see em and then walk away and gets some new balls...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]
      I think it was last year at Fenway that Tec turned and blasted an ump- I remember the replays showing the eyes of the ump getting big as saucers as Tec turned and layed into him. He got heaved for it then, too. What I'm saying is that a catcher can say whatever he wants to an ump and get away with it without getting in his face. Getting tossed only hurts the team. It's not the same as a manager getting tossed to "fire up his team".

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prknsdnld. Show prknsdnld's posts

[QUOTE]I did't see the game as it was not telecast here in Milwaukee and I know the rules, but up until recent years a catcher or pitcher would moan and groan a few words to the Ump and usually the Umpire would walk away or a few words were said and that was it. We don't know what was said, so possibly Tek said something that inflamed the Umpire, but Tek has rarely if ever done that in his career. All that being said, then Paps getting thrown out for turning his back is just plain wrong. The Umpires are way to sensitive in the modern game and should be subject to censure by the league as well for a bad call. Instead of threatening Paps, fine the Umpire in questions and suspend him a few games. However we know this will never happen !! The old line "throw the BUM out" should pertain to the Umps as well. Hetchinspete
    Posted by Hetchinspete[/QUOTE]
     How about the old "Kill the ump!!" from the early 20th century ???

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

Why not just insert the link and make a comment instead of the long paste?  A comment on a synopsis can be just as effective.  Just my opinion.  Another opinion is that like NBA referees, umpires are out of control and have been for a long while.  Their overly sensitive reactions to players who are decidedly more emotionally involved in the games (and should be) is completely unprofessional and goes beyond their main task, which is to enforce existing rules in a reasonable way.  Like a judge, the function is to interpret rules or the degree to which they are asked to make a call.  Their personal "feelings", oh so often too evident, should be left in their rooms in the ballparks or gyms.  The best officials are the ones you can't remember but respect for their fair and honest demeanor.  Sports officials have insinuated their (highly) sensitive souls into their jobs that require quick wits and fast decisions, and who among us has free rein to do that?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Papelbon:"I wasn't talking to the Ump" :   I think it was last year at Fenway that Tec turned and blasted an ump- I remember the replays showing the eyes of the ump getting big as saucers as Tec turned and layed into him. He got heaved for it then, too. What I'm saying is that a catcher can say whatever he wants to an ump and get away with it without getting in his face. Getting tossed only hurts the team. It's not the same as a manager getting tossed to "fire up his team".
    Posted by prknsdnld[/QUOTE]

Wanst that a game with Minnesota? And I believe it was in the Dome..Maybe Im thinking of another time, But thats the last one I remember..As I remember, Tek didnt even turn around, the ump actually walked in front of Tek to confront him..Then Tito got tossed..Catchers are always talking with the ump and I imagine Tek just got frustrated.. Theres a lot of emotion out there and sometimes that happens..Like I said, im not saying its right, but I understand..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcfriar67. Show pcfriar67's posts

Papelbon deserved to get tossed Saturday. He showed the umpire up early in the 9th on what was admittedly a close pitch, then did it again with Sweeney up, leading to the ejection. I understand that he was frustrated, especially in light of Pedroia's costly error, but he behaved like a little kid.
    I hope the Sox don't bring him back in 2012. He's clearly not the pitcher he was a few years ago, and we could do much better.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I just heard the other day Peters Gammons talking about being at an event honoring some umpire and there was a group of umpires talking amongst themselves. Gammons then went on to say they were talking about how Joyce should have been suspended and fined for admitting he was wrong. THAT is very telling...Its all about their egos, and until Bud grows a sack and takes on the umpires union these acts of egotism by some of these umpires will go on without consequences..If some of these guys were fined by the league like the players are, or even demoted to the minors, Im sure they would take a step down off that self-righteous horse some of them are on..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Very few of Papelbon's pitches were arguable.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Varitek is a myth. The lasat two games were blowup city. Pitchers pitch, good catchers have strong and accurate arms, study the book on hitters, and block the ball well behind the plate. Beyond years of studying the book, available to any catcher, Varitek is zilch!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]If Papelbon said nothing directly to the umpire and turned his back to talk to Salty, the umpire should have let it go at that, or simply said, "Make it quick." Umpires are supposed to defuse not inflame touchy situations.  The good ones know how to do it.  Others let their egos get involved.  A pitcher has every right to say to a catcher, "Let's try to figure this guy out."
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

Agree completely.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

To be honest, I think Pap and Tek both did the right thing.  I mean it.  Pap had lost it, and getting thrown out was the perfect move.  Tek got tossed, which allowed Salty to finish the game, call a good game, contribute to the offense, etc.  Plus we won the game without either one of them. 

I didn't see the game, but the game thread had several folks saying that Pap's griping was off base--the balls were in fact out of the strike zone. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Paps has only walked 4 this season!

That makes this story a blip to me. 

-Daf.