Papelbon blows another save

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

Papelbon blows another save

Phillies leading Braves 5-3.  2-out.  Gives up a 2-run HR and blows a save.

I was rooting the Phillies to beat the Braves because Braves are 1/2 game ahead of Sox for the best record in majors.

And the nerve Paps had to compare himself to Mo.

Fortunately, Phillies hit a walkoff HR off Freddy Garcia to win, and Sox possess the best W-L record at this point in the majors.

By the way, Sox are also 4 games ahead of Tigers for the home field advantage.  I think Verlander lost to Royals today.  Sox should be focused on the home field.

Rays losing 0-4 to Mariners in 5th.  If this holds, drops the magic # to 12, with 18 games to go for Sox.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Re: Papelbon blows another save

In response to blingblang's comment:

I was rooting the Phillies to beat the Braves because Braves are 1/2 game ahead of Sox for the best record in majors.

Fortunately, Phillies hit a walkoff HR off Freddy Garcia to win, and Sox possess the best W-L record at this point in the majors.

By the way, Sox are also 4 games ahead of Tigers for the home field advantage.  I think Verlander lost to Royals today.  Sox should be focused on the home field.

Rays losing 0-4 to Mariners in 5th.  If this holds, drops the magic # to 12, with 18 games to go for Sox.

This really has been a fantastic season. I'm very glad that I've been able to witness it!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

OK -- who out there wants to admit to DEMANDING that the Sox go get Papelbon.

Don't get me wrong. I still like Papelbon. I wouldn't have minded him back. But I never liked his contract for the closer, so I agreed with the Sox not re-signing him, and that was the same reason why I didn't want the Sox to go get him. And I didn't think the Sox needed him. Koji was doing fine. What the Sox needed was an extra bullpen arm, and Papelbon was starting to show some cracks then.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Hey remember when some of you wanted to trade WMB for Paps back, and all his money

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Papelbon was one of the few things I got right in recent years.

Sox4ever

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

In response to blingblang's comment:

Doesn't the AL have home field advantage because of the all star win?? I just want the Sox to keep winning and rap up the division. I do want to have the best record in the AL for home field. I'm so glad we're not going to have to settle for the wild card barring, any historic collapse. I was at the game tonight. I rooted for the Phillies but I did have a smirk on my face when it happened. I was also at the game last year when Jordany Valdespin of the Mets hit his first major league hit. A 3 run Home Run off Paps tht snapped a 3-3 tie. I had a bigger smile that game and my friend sitting next to me wasn't happy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

yup, best record in MLB.

And we got there by beating some redhot teams.

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He's been very similar to Mo... the 2013 Mo.

Sox4ever

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

The Sept 2011 Papelbon versus the Orioles should show everyone what he is. The steady stream of fast balls is a disaster waiting to happen.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i never regreted letting paps go -even when our closers were horrible - my theory was and is that anyone can be a closer - and koji proves that - just find someone who can throw stries and the law of averages will deliver a SAVE

As always - 100% correct!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

My reply is nothing new for me: I could not take much more of Pap's stare and the time between  pitches. There is no way I would pay Pap the money he got and in addition there was no wayyyyyy he was going to resign with the Sox. The Boston love affair was ovaaaaaaaaaa.

I'm glad he got what he wanted---those knowledgeable Phillie fans.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to youkillus' comment:

The Sept 2011 Papelbon versus the Orioles should show everyone what he is. The steady stream of fast balls is a disaster waiting to happen.

agreed...and that stare...if anyone ever needed to be b-slapped on the mound...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

i never regreted letting paps go -even when our closers were horrible - my theory was and is that anyone can be a closer - and koji proves that - just find someone who can throw stries and the law of averages will deliver a SAVE

As always - 100% correct!

Not sure i agree...the last three outs has proven to be a tough go for many. While throwing strikes is important..having the stuff and the moixy to challenge hitters with the game on the line is what separates the men from the boys. Koji has been lights out no doubt and it's because he can throw all three of his pitches over the plate using the splitter as his put away pitch. while he doesn't light up the radar gun...he has enough fastball that the hitters have to respect it...

Papelbon has the moixy but has never developed a secondary pitch and is today still too reliant on his fastball. Which when he commands it on the black is still a tough go for most. Inevitably when you live by the fastball, you will die by it too. As the season draws to a close fatigue begin to set in and that is when command begins to suffer. 95 on the black is far different than 95 down broad street. If you keep chuckin it down broad street big league hitters will square it up even if you throw 100. just ask Danial Bard

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Hey remember when some of you wanted to trade WMB for Paps back, and all his money

No way we'd want to do that Hugh, it would insult Philly. Lets send Pedey and Buchholz along with WM, then maybe we can get Papelbon back.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

"WHat difference does it make"  ????       He is in the "twilight" .......  A good dump by the Sox !!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

Thanks for '07, but he is one less 2011 jack azz we are far better off without.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I still do not believe that Papelbon's dog ate the 2007 World Series baseball.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

No way we'd want to do that Hugh, it would insult Philly. Lets send Pedey and Buchholz along with WM, then maybe we can get Papelbon back.

This made me smile, then laugh....I actually thought you were being serious for a second.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to crix's comment:

Why do you say that? He very well be past his prime and blew a couple of saves, but he was one of the few who took accountability in 2011.

Why is it that once a player stops being effective, fans have to start name-calling and bashing the player instead of appreciateing what he did and moving on.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The problem around here is that a lot of posters look at the first year of a l/t deal and declare winners and losers.  The first year is usually your best, and the last year is usually your worst.  It's the nature of the aging process.  Paps has 5 years, which is an eternity for RPs.  Even a guy like Gonzo, still a good player, still has 5 years left.

I'd say this for probably about every FA ever signed.  If you can dump the 2nd half of his contract for anything, you should do it.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Why do you say that? He very well be past his prime and blew a couple of saves, but he was one of the few who took accountability in 2011.

Why is it that once a player stops being effective, fans have to start name-calling and bashing the player instead of appreciateing what he did and moving on.

Even as bad as Damon was after he left, I still harbor no ill feelings for him.  It is said about the NYY that you never become a 'Yankee' until you have a WS ring, then you are always a Yankee.  Some of our fans should think about that.  He was a great player for us.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to royf19's comment:

Even as bad as Damon was after he left, I still harbor no ill feelings for him.  It is said about the NYY that you never become a 'Yankee' until you have a WS ring, then you are always a Yankee.  Some of our fans should think about that.  He was a great player for us.

Agree.

I never cared that Damon signed with the Yankees. He was great for the Sox, but when he left, there really wasn't a role for him. He had bascially one more year where he could play CF but wanted a multi-year deal. The Sox didn't need a LF (Ramirez), DH (Ortiz) or 1B (Youk) so there was no role for him in Boston.

So fine, let him sign where ever he wants.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

Mo has only one pitch, but boy what a dominant pitch it has been.  I wonder if he has the record for breaking the most bats.

He is the epitome of a professional player - top of his trade, humble in carrying himself, never pouts off, and a winner.  Reminds me of "Sweetness" Walter Payton, RIP.

Sections
Shortcuts