Papelbon is as Papelbon does

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Papelbon is as Papelbon does

5-6, 36 saves, 4 BS, 2.37 ERA, 1.02 WHIP, 82 Ks/17 BBs in 64-2/3 innings.

That for a very underachieving PHI team. 76 team wins and he saved 36 of them. 14 saves, 1 BS since August 1st.

He continues to be one of the most consistent closers in baseball...with the lack of Mo this year, THE most consistent year in, and year out.

Isn't it more obvious now how a player, a character like Papelbon holds value even beyond his performance?

I don't usually lament a player leaving, especially when he obviously wanted out, and, really...who can blame the guy. We all goofed on him for being a sipmpleton, but apparently he was smarter than any of us and saw this coming miles away.

I said it before, I would've kept the guy until his arm flew off.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: Papelbon is as Papelbon does

And how much better would we be this year? Not much.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

It came down to choice--Pap made his choice before the Sox knew what was happening. Pap had years to plan his departure and when the time came he was ready. Perhaps, if the Sox really wanted him to stay, they should have made their desire known before last Sept. when things fell apart.

The same is true with Ells---if after all the discussion in house they talk with Boras and Ells and get a number--if it's the right number try to extend him before next season. If the number doesn't  work --trade him--now or before the deadline.

It's important to identify two or three players you want in return and find a way to make the right deal. The  last thing the Sox need is a player thinking about FA and big money for the next year. IMHO get the person to take his place and part company ASAP.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

He has become a "FAT-CAT" and will not mind going home early !!!

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Papelbon was a solid player for Boston who helped them win a WS title. He was always a standup guy who faced the media. The Sox made a choice and so did he, I always thought he was worth the money. I don't think he would've made a difference on this season's awful debacle of a team. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

^ Not quite sure what that means, I guess it's some cryptic saying. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Closers are demanding too much money.

What good is a closer when your team has lousy starting pitchers?

Red Sox made the right call on Papelbon. Sadly they made the wrong call in too many other areas....resigning Beckett for one.

Philly found out the hard way, it cost them a lot of money for a good closer. But closers alone don't win games.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We all goofed on him for being a sipmpleton, but apparently he was smarter than any of us and saw this coming miles away.

Obama and most Red Sox fans considered Papelbon to be a stupid hillbilly who clings to his Bible and gun.

[/QUOTE]

..and you said we should not sign him for more than $12M/1 yr.

Folks, look at his velocity charts. We got rid of this guy just in time.

http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx?playerid=5975&position=P&pitch=FA

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Closers are demanding too much money.

What good is a closer when your team has lousy starting pitchers?

Red Sox made the right call on Papelbon. Sadly they made the wrong call in too many other areas....resigning Beckett for one.

Philly found out the hard way, it cost them a lot of money for a good closer. But closers alone don't win games.

[/QUOTE]

I can agree w/ this but Zilla but I'm betting that most people weren't thinking that about Philly when the season started. They had 3 excellent starters followed by Blanton, Kendrick & Worley to round it out. Your right closers alone don't win gm's. Pitching, hitting and defense do. Unfortunately for Philly their hitting has been terrible this yr. Maybe Boston made the right call on Paps but I wouldn't say Philly made the wrong call. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Did you know that three closers from four current divisional leader teams arent in the top eight most saves in MLB this year?

Yes closer is important, but you need to have everything such as good starting five pitchings, good offense, closer, couple good clutch hitters, good manager/coaches, etc

Cant just rely on just one person for the entire year!!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

he made the right call even without "all the facts".  the cops did act 'stupidly'.  thats what being a good leader is.  you make a decision spur of the moment and it ends up being the right decision.  gut feelings and strong stance.  that's quality leadership right there folks.  that's how you hunt down and kill a man like bin laden when the previous administration spent time looking under white house sofas.  thanks for confirming and pointing this out softy.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Anyone remember those early season blown saves that set the tone for this season? Who knows if a couple saved wins by pap would have made a difference?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Are we forgetting that the Sox didn't make this decision, Papelbon did? 

Paps said all along that he was going to the highest bidder and when the Phillies offered him the money he wanted he split and never looked back.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good point moon, and I was one of those who siad the RS would rue the day they let Paps go...Yes, you are right, his velocity is down...But he still has  been an excellent NL closer...However, you could make a valid point by noting that the NL is always the AAA affiliate of the AL, especially when it comes to power bats and NO DH...Would Paps have done as well in the Al East this year...Maybe not....So you fngraphs velocity chart is pretty relevant....On the other side, the RS might have  looked a bit stronger this year if  he had stayed...Still, you could argue the results would be close to the same...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to GreenPartyCelt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good point moon, and I was one of those who siad the RS would rue the day they let Paps go...Yes, you are right, his velocity is down...But he still has  been an excellent NL closer...However, you could make a valid point by noting that the NL is always the AAA affiliate of the AL, especially when it comes to power bats and NO DH...Would Paps have done as well in the Al East this year...Maybe not....So you fngraphs velocity chart is pretty relevant....On the other side, the RS might have  looked a bit stronger this year if  he had stayed...Still, you could argue the results would be close to the same...

[/QUOTE]

I seriously doubt Paps will be able to transition into a finess pitcher. When he loses his fastball for good- he will be toast. He's on his way there now.

One of Theo's best traits was knowing when to let vets g, like Damon, Pedro, JBay, VMart...(Please don't argue that it would have been worth paying more for any of these guys.) 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to GreenPartyCelt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I seriously doubt Paps will be able to transition into a finess pitcher. When he loses his fastball for good- he will be toast. He's on his way there now.

One of Theo's best traits was knowing when to let vets g, like Damon, Pedro, JBay, VMart...(Please don't argue that it would have been worth paying more for any of these guys.) 

[/QUOTE]

True 100%...As you might remember, I went on an angry tear after the big Dodgers blockbuster deal because I felt the RS got minimal pitching in return for what they gave up...I still feel that way...And I was already suspicious of JH because  he has become persona non grata in Liverpool before then, and people were questioning what he was really trying to do with buying that historical franchise.  Indeed, there is a big match coming up on Sunday at Anfield with Man United...Liverpool’s first home soccer match since the findings of an inquiry into the 1989 Hillsborough disaster were published that found that the police were not only culpable, but that  the victim's families and the victims themselves were smeared by the police and their allies... If Liverpool continues their poor opening season start in the EPL, the pressure on JH to sell could increase significantly...I am not really making my point clearly here...I have felt strongly that JH gutted this team for his own financial purposes, while so many journalistic pundits and fans on this site were declaring it the "deal of the  century", not just because of the money  and quality of players involved, but because they saw it as b uying all this extra payroll space to rebuild a flawed team...Unfortunately, few talked about the higway robbery involved and the fact that Rubby and company were not adequate payback for all the RS gave up....Sure, the Dodgers are still struggling but I predict that Crawford will come back strong next year and that Beckett wil lbe okay in the NL...A-Gon will stay A-Gon...The Red Sox IMHO are crippled thru 2015, especially because no decent FA wants to come to a troubled franchise with the crazy level of fan (like this site) and media scrutiny....If they had gotten REAL PITCHING in this exchange, the former reality would be less important...They could grow with the offense they have (take that kid Ciriaco for example), and build off of the  newly acquired arms...But LL, BC company have no Cashman-like agenda...It was sell, sell, sell, and dump...And this franchise will be paying thru 2015 at least...A long bridge year that...Baltimore Oriole fans making noise in Fenway???...Even the RS-hater in me finds that pretty sad....