Papelbon left Sox before the season even ended......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Papelbon left Sox before the season even ended......

Surely his heart was just not in during the last month. I honestly believe Paps checked out of Boston before the season even ended. To have cleaned out your locker says it all. Amazed. I don't think at least by the majority of fans he was ever mistreated. It will be interesting to see what else he may have to say about Boston.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Re: Papelbon left Sox before the season even ended......

I disagree.  I believe he was out before the season began.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I was very disappointed that he left, but also felt that he didn't want to return to the Red Sox.  Even if the Red Sox had matched the Phillies offer, he would have left anyway.  Considering how the season ended, I would imagine that many of the players for the Red Sox wish they were free agents and could also leave. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSNS14. Show RSNS14's posts

Why must the Boston media rip apart every player that leaves here and all you guys fall for it hook,line, and sinker? This organization has lost a ton of credibility not only to the fans but to other players. I can just imagine what Ortiz will go through if he signs somewhere else. And that will be a real shame.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

In Response to Re: Papelbon left Sox before the season even ended......:
    [QUOTE]Why must the Boston media rip apart every player that leaves here and all you guys fall for it hook,line, and sinker? This organization has lost a ton of credibility not only to the fans but to other players. I can just imagine what Ortiz will go through if he signs somewhere else. And that will be a real shame.
    Posted by RSNS14[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you mean by 'all you guys buy it hook line and sinker'.

It was clear that Papelbon was going to test the FA market years ago.  He made no secret about that.  He's a great closer and had a great career in Boston.  He deserves his payday, and he got it.  He would have waited to hear other offers even if the Sox had made one.  He wanted out.  No problem with that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]Why must the Boston media rip apart every player that leaves here and all you guys fall for it hook,line, and sinker? This organization has lost a ton of credibility not only to the fans but to other players. I can just imagine what Ortiz will go through if he signs somewhere else. And that will be a real shame.
    Posted by RSNS14[/QUOTE]

I don't believe all that the Boston media puts forth. But it is pretty telling when you empty your locker. He had no desire to be back and that is fine. But he as a player, does not need to disrespect the team that made him either. Not saying he has yet, lets wait and see.

He is replaceable Susan. The only closer who isn't: Mariano.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Posted by RSNS14[/QUOTE]

The Boston media only reported quote by quote what Papelbon said. Exactly what was editorial? Please respond with links or quotes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

Okay, so let's say he had no intention of coming back, which seems like a reasonable assumption.

The question is, why? He was drafted by the Red Sox. He won a WS here. One of the most popular players on the team. Made a lot of money, had a lot of success, team is better than most, ownership expects to win every year, even if they go about it the wrong way at times....why he he want out so bad?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Papelbon left Sox before the season even ended...... : I don't believe all that the Boston media puts forth. But it is pretty telling when you empty your locker. He had no desire to be back and that is fine. But he as a player, does not need to disrespect the team that made him either. Not saying he has yet, lets wait and see. He is replaceable Susan. The only closer who isn't: Mariano.
    Posted by antiqueman1[/QUOTE]

Soooo a slam against Papelbon and a rave for Mariano, and all in the same thread. Yeah, I was totally wrong about you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Papelbon left Sox before the season even ended...... : The Boston media only reported quote by quote what Papelbon said. Exactly what was editorial? Please respond with links or quotes.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

The title of the article was "pap gog the weasel" ------ Nuffield said?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

[QUOTE]I was very disappointed that he left, but also felt that he didn't want to return to the Red Sox.  Even if the Red Sox had matched the Phillies offer, he would have left anyway.  Considering how the season ended, I would imagine that many of the players for the Red Sox wish they were free agents and could also leave. 
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

I am sure you can put Ells on that list of "can't wait to get out of Boston".  The treatment the entire team and city gave him last year while saying he was dogging it with his injury made sure he would never want to stay any longer than he has to.  His great season was not to impress the Sox but rather to make sure the rest of the league knows who he is when his time comes.  Sad when that happens to a young kid with a really bright future who could have been a real cog in the future of the Sox.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

I don't think at least by the majority of fans he was ever mistreated. It will be interesting to see what else he may have to say about Boston.

I think the old backwoods loudmouth needs to shut-up hillbilly was mistreated by arrogant New England. Little doubt he wanted to leave. And who could honestly blame him. If only loser Tim Wastefield were treated as bad.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Read before speaking...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111114&content_id=25970748&vkey=news_bos&c_id=bos

No bitterness from Pap upon departure

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfan1967. Show soxfan1967's posts

Pap would have stayed in Boston in the Sox offered him $59Million.
    It has always been about the money.

Good luck to Pap - hope to beat you in All-Start game, intergue play and the WS.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejusox21. Show ejusox21's posts

Paps did alot of great things here. Including a 2007 WS championship. He was very consistent for the most part. I never thought he said or did anything wrong.
    It stinks that he is gone but that is his choice. I dont think we need to bash every player that leaves the nation. Good Luck Paps!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Papelbon left Sox before the season even ended...... : Soooo a slam against Papelbon and a rave for Mariano, and all in the same thread. Yeah, I was totally wrong about you.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

I have not bashed him. I just feel he checked out before season ended. I said he was never coming back. Said let's wait and see if you has bad things to say about Boston. Sorry, the truth is Mariano is the best. And that is hard to say coming from a Sox fan. So get over youself kimmy

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]Read before speaking... http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111114&content_id=25970748&vkey=news_bos&c_id=bos No bitterness from Pap upon departure By Ian Browne / MLB.com
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

WesternO. The constant annoyance in you is back. A man(Paps) who leaves so quickly and without a trace or a hint of ever coming back says something about him. And if you read what I wrote, I said let's wait and see what he has to say about Boston. One article proves nothing that you link. But someone who leaves town so quickly speaks volumes.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Papelbon was highly motivated to show that he was still among the best in the game in his "walk year". To suggest that he somehow was punched out and was not giving his all, is to sell the kid short. I don't bemoan his loss and wish him well. Cleary the Sox had little interest in resignig him, and he apparrantly felt the same way. Otherwise they would have and could have found a common middle ground. They had plenty of time to discuss the parameters that both sides would have been comfortable with..It takes two to tango...It's not brain surgury and cleary both sides saw things differntly so he signed a contract to play for a team that is the prohibitive favorites in the NL, one that offered him a deal that met his and his families must haves...

In the end, what I find almost commical is that the media and the fans never take into consideration, that the players aren't bound by geographical loyalties. Once they earn the right to free agency, they then get to choose where and whom they play for...We the fans are the ones that are bound by loyalties, athletes are bound by a desire to compete and their loyalites are with the guys that wear the same laundry as they do...

Today a Red Sox, tommorrow a Yank, then on to Tampa with every change of uniform the goal is the same...beat the other guys.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Honestly think Pap was just disgusted with what he saw going on around him...no wonder he cleaned out his locker early.  He'd seen enough to know he wanted out....notice how he emphasizes the "class" among Phillie players...what he isn't saying, but is there between the lines, is "unlike the Sox in 2011".  A closer has nothing if the starters lay down.  Pap is one of my fav players...I wish him the very best. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Papelbon left Sox before the season even ended...... : WesternO. The constant annoyance in you is back. A man(Paps) who leaves so quickly and without a trace or a hint of ever coming back says something about him. And if you read what I wrote, I said let's wait and see what he has to say about Boston. One article proves nothing that you link. But someone who leaves town so quickly speaks volumes.
    Posted by antiqueman1[/QUOTE]

Trust me, this is the last time I will take you off ignore. You're free to "contribute" (key word) although I deem your contributions to be a waste of time. Goodbye and good day my good man. Your opinions are too biased and un-informed for my taste.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]Papelbon was highly motivated to show that he was still among the best in the game in his "walk year". To suggest that he somehow was punched out and was not giving his all, is to sell the kid short. I don't bemoan his loss and wish him well. Cleary the Sox had little interest in resignig him, and he apparrantly felt the same way. Otherwise they would have and could have found a common middle ground. They had plenty of time to discuss the parameters that both sides would have been comfortable with..It takes two to tango...It's not brain surgury and cleary both sides saw things differntly so he signed a contract to play for a team that is the prohibitive favorites in the NL, one that offered him a deal that met his and his families must haves... In the end, what I find almost commical is that the media and the fans never take into consideration, that the players aren't bound by geographical loyalties. Once they earn the right to free agency, they then get to choose where and whom they play for...We the fans are the ones that are bound by loyalties, athletes are bound by a desire to compete and their loyalites are with the guys that wear the same laundry as they do... Today a Red Sox, tommorrow a Yank, then on to Tampa with every change of uniform the goal is the same...beat the other guys.
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Well put beantowne. At the end of the day, no matter what uniform you wear, it is about winning.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]I was very disappointed that he left, but also felt that he didn't want to return to the Red Sox.  Even if the Red Sox had matched the Phillies offer, he would have left anyway.  Considering how the season ended, I would imagine that many of the players for the Red Sox wish they were free agents and could also leave. 
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more, Susan.

I think that Paps has felt that he's not been treated properly by the FO for some time...  They bargained too hard to pay too little for his goat.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Pap had 3 blown saves last year - 3.  His ERA was 2.94.  He gave up 3 HRs and walked 10 batters.  Yep, he clearly mailed it in last year.

His era did rise to 3.72 in September, but it was 0.00 for August when opposing batters were hitting .057 against him.

Pap gave 100% while he was here.  It was a pleasure to watch him play. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Papelbon left Sox before the season even ended...... : Trust me, this is the last time I will take you off ignore. You're free to "contribute" (key word) although I deem your contributions to be a waste of time. Goodbye and good day my good man. Your opinions are too biased and un-informed for my taste.
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

WesternO thanks for doing me the favor. Thanks for your freedom to contribute. I was worried(not).  You act like you have all the answers. Mr.(mrs.) know-it-all. This is a discussion board. It is meants for all to discuss. I don't always get it right in everyone's eyes, but very few go around negative bashing other posters like you and kimsaythis.

If we all agreed, then where is the discussion? I am a Sox fan. But as a Sox fan, I don't always have to toe the line. Opinions are subjective beliefs. What I see does not have to be the exact same that you see.

But I don't disrespect your opinions. But I aslo don't have to agree with them. Good day to you.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts