Papelbon left Sox before the season even ended......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Papelbon left Sox before the season even ended......

ROFL!  Oregon the most absurd of posters.  antiqueman1 you will good a get laugh, look down at my next post. Oregon is reverse-stalking. He puts you on ignore and then proceeds to follow you around the forum telling you he is ignoring you. lol.

The below excerpts are all from WO in the last few days, 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Papelbon left Sox before the season even ended......:
    I was very disappointed that he left, but also felt that he didn't want to return to the Red Sox.  Even if the Red Sox had matched the Phillies offer, he would have left anyway.  Considering how the season ended, I would imagine that many of the players for the Red Sox wish they were free agents and could also leave. 
    Posted by susan250

Well said Susan. Frankly, It's probably why they haven't hired a manager yet.....no one wants to come to Boston. Probably the reason they want to interview Sveum a second time, to sweeten the pot.
    This organization is clearly disfunctional right now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

"moonie, how many times do you write and re-write your sesquipedalian rants? If you were off ignore it........."

"I've decided to IGNORE you both (RidingWithTheKing). I'm...,"

"kim(saysthis)...not that I'm of any importance to you, but YOU'RE ON MY IGGYlist,"

"WOW! Having the two on ignore REALLY shortened this thread...lolol."

"no wonder I had you on ignore when I returned to the forum recently. Have a great Winter. (IGNORE)"

"Unfortunately I have you (BurritoT) on IGGY, what did you write...errrr...rant?"

"this is the last time I will take you (antiqueman1) off ignore"

WesternOregon

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Pap had 3 blown saves last year - 3.  His ERA was 2.94.  He gave up 3 HRs and walked 10 batters.  Yep, he clearly mailed it in last year. His era did rise to 3.72 in September, but it was 0.00 for August when opposing batters were hitting .057 against him. Pap gave 100% while he was here.  It was a pleasure to watch him play. 
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

Gee, do you think that maybe it was because of his pending free agency that he performed so well?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

In Response to Re: Papelbon left Sox before the season even ended...... : Well said Susan. Frankly, It's probably why they haven't hired a manager yet.....no one wants to come to Boston. Probably the reason they want to interview Sveum a second time, to sweeten the pot. This organization is clearly disfunctional right now.
    Posted by Alibiike

So how then did it get so bad so quickly in Boston? Management? Entitlement? Fans? What happened to this club?

When the going gets tough, everyone wants to bail out. It is a shame.

I think the Sox will get back on track quickly. I am looking forward to seeing what happents over the next few weeks and months.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In Response to Re: Papelbon left Sox before the season even ended...... : Gee, do you think that maybe it was because of his pending free agency that he performed so well?
    Posted by Alibiike

The thread is about his lack of performance.  As far as motivation, who cares why he performed so well?  Performing well isn't enough for you?  Now their motivation has to taken into consideration.  "Well he had a good year, but I'm going to discount it because I think his wasn't motivated by pure thoughts".  Come on.

Many fans and posters on BDC have trouble comprehending what actually occurred.  And you expect those same people to get into the psyche of person they've never met and try and uncover their motivation?  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wideright. Show wideright's posts

Good luck to him, can never fault his effort, mostly had great results. Baseball is a business and he just did was most of us would do, take the best offer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

the Sox had plenty of time to make him an offer, or at least signal their intent to resign him...they didnt, and Paps knew he wasnt going to get the huge paycheck he so dearly wanted for many years as a free agent in Boston...this should not shock anyone...it was money wisely not spent imho but I wish him luck in Philly...he was a gamer (and he kept in shape!!!!)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

I was very disappointed that he left, but also felt that he didn't want to return to the Red Sox.  Even if the Red Sox had matched the Phillies offer, he would have left anyway.  Considering how the season ended, I would imagine that many of the players for the Red Sox wish they were free agents and could also leave. 
    Posted by susan250

I couldn't agree with you more. I truly beleive that he had already made up his mind when he cleaned out his locker. He performed very well for us and I wish him well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

In Response to Re: Papelbon left Sox before the season even ended...... : The thread is about his lack of performance.  As far as motivation, who cares why he performed so well?  Performing well isn't enough for you?  Now their motivation has to taken into consideration.  "Well he had a good year, but I'm going to discount it because I think his wasn't motivated by pure thoughts".  Come on. Many fans and posters on BDC have trouble comprehending what actually occurred.  And you expect those same people to get into the psyche of person they've never met and try and uncover their motivation?  
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

Sorry Dirty. I did not mean it to be about his lack of performance. He was a great closer for Boston. I guess it turns out the heading is more of a statement than a question. My intent was for it to be a question. Did he.....

I can't hold anything against Paps or any athlete for taking more money and leaving teams. But he sort of dissed at his press conference did he not. Just curious how everthing went south so quickly here is all.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

You guys are actually really missing the point....It's not that he didn't perform last year--as he pitched far better than in 2009...and he is probably the most in shape pitcher on the staff (not a bar high)...and it's not his mindset of leaving Boston at the end of this past season, as his mind was already made up.....

IT'S WHY HIS MIND WAS MADE UP....That's because I really believe Jonathan was as tired with the way the team was not pulling it's weight (except in the bellies of the SPs), tired with the organization's approach, and probably hearing every day on the radio/TV/etc, that he was going to be replaced by Bard. If you don't think that isn't playing into your psyche, then check again. I'm neither surprised he is gone, nor should anyone be surprised he didn't want to play here anymore. It's gone back to being 25 cabs, 25 guys, and Nomar's famous "That's Why No One Wants To Play Here!!!!" prophecy. From an aspect of finances, I'm sure he probably figured out that only non-Sox guys--Lackey, Crawford, Drew--get to command 50x more than they deserve on salary. He knew he would be the one getting limited due to being a closer--it's ok for the Sox to give away cash to non-Sox guys coming in, but the philosophy has always been to put the squeeze on the Sox who do perform over time. Papelbon did his job, he just had 2 famous meltdowns that unfortunately will be what anti-Paps people will use to justify his exit. He can go as long as Rivera if he trusts his other pitches (splitter for instance). He will figure this out in Philly my guess.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Ask yourself this...Theo was always very content with going year to year with him. Why? He knew he wasn't going to spend on him, and he was grooming Bard. Jonathan knew it. Messages were sent as far back as 2008 with a lot of guys on this team. The best way to get a big contract with Sox? Play on another team. That's how you bank in Boston. If you play for the Sox? Not so much.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Ask yourself this...Theo was always very content with going year to year with him. Why? He knew he wasn't going to spend on him, and he was grooming Bard. Jonathan knew it. Messages were sent as far back as 2008 with a lot of guys on this team. The best way to get a big contract with Sox? Play on another team. That's how you bank in Boston. If you play for the Sox? Not so much.
    Posted by dannycater

You've got your facts backward...the Red Sox made Papelbon numerous offers to extend his deal, just like the ones that Youk, Pedrioa, Buccholz and Lester signed....Papelbon not unlike Ellsbury and Boras have both stated publicy that they wouldn't nor were they interested in signing extensions that have become the norm in todays game whereby the player get the security of garanteed moneys and the team reaps the the benefit of secruing them to a team friendly deal to buy out at minnimum two years of prime production free agent years...

Papelbon in particular made very public his intent to roll the dice and play on 1 years deals with the his goal to become a free agent and set the standard for salaries at his position. He and his agent gambled that he could and would stay healthy and today he's a rich man. Although he didn't quite reach his goal based on the average annual value of his 12.5M / 4 year deal. Mo's 15M per from the Yanks is still the best per anum deal for closers...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

The guy made no secret he was in it for the money and to "set the bar" for closers, as he stated many times.  Papelbon was goofy and came across that way in just about every public appearance I ever witnessed.  But he also gave his best as a Red Sox player, leading the bullpen for years, and for that we should remember him kindly. 

The guy earned his shot at free agency by playing by MLB's rules.  He wasn't going to accept less to stay here and the Sox weren't going to 4 years on a contract. The Phillies' offer was about as good as it gets for a reliever.  Plus he gets to play for a contender.  Who can blame the guy?  I can't.     

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

After this year's debacle it is not hard to see why some Sox players might want to opt out of Boston when the chance comes.  That clubhouse appears (at least from the outside looking in) to be in shambles.  There is no leader on this team, there is no team spirit, no team camaraderie - just a bunch of individuals drawing down big paychecks for big egos.  They are proof positive that you can't just go out and raid the FA market, slap those players together and produce a winner no matter how much you are paying them.  It used to be that this board always talked about how many clubhouse problems the Yanks had, how many overpaid FAs and how funny that was...now the target is on the Sox backs. 

I wish Paps well...he was a special player that gave 100% all the time.  He may not have always had it together...but he never dogged it. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

the Sox had plenty of time to make him an offer, or at least signal their intent to resign him...they didnt, and Paps knew he wasnt going to get the huge paycheck he so dearly wanted for many years as a free agent in Boston...this should not shock anyone...it was money wisely not spent imho but I wish him luck in Philly...he was a gamer (and he kept in shape!!!!)
    Posted by georom4

It may indeed be this simple. Given this reality, many tear the pitcher down or criticize the organization. Seasons come and seasons go. Soon it will snow. Games will be won and lost...not all players will die with their Red Sox jersey on and their glove in hand. Thanks for your contributions Jon, best of luck in Philly. Go Sox!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

After this year's debacle it is not hard to see why some Sox players might want to opt out of Boston when the chance comes.  That clubhouse appears (at least from the outside looking in) to be in shambles.  There is no leader on this team, there is no team spirit, no team camaraderie - just a bunch of individuals drawing down big paychecks for big egos.  They are proof positive that you can't just go out and raid the FA market, slap those players together and produce a winner no matter how much you are paying them.  It used to be that this board always talked about how many clubhouse problems the Yanks had, how many overpaid FAs and how funny that was...now the target is on the Sox backs.  I wish Paps well...he was a special player that gave 100% all the time.  He may not have always had it together...but he never dogged it. 
    Posted by traven

Whatever transpired last year has little bering on the success or failing of 2012 team. We need not look any further than the Sox of 2002 who were by all accounts a sour bunch of misfit toys led by a disfunctional management team of Dan Duquette, Jimy Williams and Joe Kerrigan vs the team that opened the season in 2003 with Grady Little who was brought in because of his reputation as a players manager...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KingOSmakk. Show KingOSmakk's posts

As usual, anybody who leaves must be villified by the "world's smallest and least relevant 'nation'..."  If I wasn't so cheap, I would buy 6 million red foam noses and 6 million pairs of clown shoes for you whiners to wear. 

Are you going to miss my Riverdance?  You sure are, because you won't even be in the playoffs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtDawgSox. Show DirtDawgSox's posts

In Response to Papelbon left Sox before the season even ended......:
    Surely his heart was just not in during the last month. I honestly believe Paps checked out of Boston before the season even ended. To have cleaned out your locker says it all. Amazed. I don't think at least by the majority of fans he was ever mistreated. It will be interesting to see what else he may have to say about Boston.
    Posted by antiqueman1

good point there..I had forgotten seeing all his things cleaned out before anyone else did this.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to Papelbon left Sox before the season even ended......:
    Surely his heart was just not in during the last month. I honestly believe Paps checked out of Boston before the season even ended. To have cleaned out your locker says it all. Amazed. I don't think at least by the majority of fans he was ever mistreated. It will be interesting to see what else he may have to say about Boston.
    Posted by antiqueman1

OK, he had probably made up his mind to leave early, but as others have indicated, it may have been more of a matter regarding how he and his agent were reading his contract status vis a vis the Red Sox organization.  I wouldn't necessarily presume anything more than that, other than that he may also be a tidy and organized person who liked a clean locker. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bballfan99. Show bballfan99's posts

he was a heart attack to watch.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

In Response to Papelbon left Sox before the season even ended...... : OK, he had probably made up his mind to leave early, but as others have indicated, it may have been more of a matter regarding how he and his agent were reading his contract status vis a vis the Red Sox organization.  I wouldn't necessarily presume anything more than that, other than that he may also be a tidy and organized person who liked a clean locker
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas

This line in bold sounds a lot like a line from the movie a few good men.

I guess I am just amazed how many fans don't blame a guy for wanting out of the Boston turmoil. It amazes me how many say if they were FA they would do the same. Unless there has been some storm brewing for years, its just a rough patch is it not, and that to me does not equate to total depature does it? 

When the going gets tough, the tough get going, not leaving. But hey, I am sure it was a few yrs in the making. 

I guess I got a bit put off by just how many times he kept saying classy organization in his intro. And it also seemed like when he was talking about playing against Philly, he wished he were already in that dugout because they played like he plays. 

So I guess Boston is not classy like Philly and does not play the type of ball Paps likes to play. Those are close to parting shots are they not? 

But I wish him the best. He was a work horse who kept in shape. I think the Sox will be just fine going forward.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I heard on the last day of the season Wakefield and Tek actually had more things delivered to their lockers... they will never go away.

Sections
Shortcuts