Papelbon talks about why the Sox might want to keep him around.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Papelbon talks about why the Sox might want to keep him around.

by Rob Bradford/WEEI
    Jonathan Papelbon is making a pretty good case.

Monday, he attempted to clarify it further.

"I'm truly speaking from my heart. I'm not sitting here saying something that they might read that makes them want to keep me. This has nothing to do with … I'm going to stay or go. I'm going to honestly go out there and play the way Cinco knows how to play," said the Red Sox closer. "All I can do is be Jonathan Papelbon to my wife and my family and the guys in this clubhouse, and Cinco Ocho as soon as I walk across the white line. That's enough on my plate for right now."

What's on Papelbon's plate is closing out games, which he has done pretty well thus far this season. He has converted 10 off 11 save opportunities, struck out 31 and walked just three. Among baseball's club of closers, he has re-established himself as one of the best.

All of it is why Papelbon could stand in front of his locker prior to the Red Sox' series-opener against the White Sox and confidently explain how he viewed his lot in life as he marches through his first-ever free agent season.

"This role is so much different than so many other roles. There's a lot more to it than just the X's and O's, being a closer. So much more than just going on the mound and throwing," he said. "I've had six years of doing this under my belt. And I mean doing it in this atmosphere. It's more of a mental grind and it takes more mental toughness to be able to put up with everything that comes with the territory of closing in Boston, and playing in New York 17 times a year.

"I think that in my situation … In the last six years the city of Boston has seen nobody but me close. You start getting to that point of expectations, and what people expect."

There is a point to be made.

The market for closers has always muddied the waters when trying to envision Papelbon returning to the Red Sox following the 2011 season. Yet, as we sit here, he has managed to position himself to make a run at a long-term deal, the kind of which that is becomingly increasingly rare among game-ending relievers.

When listening to Papelbon explain his own value to the organization, you start to wonder.

There has been no closer in Red Sox history who has been able to not only survive in the role for six seasons, but produce at an All-Star level for the majority of their tenure in Boston, as has been the case with Papelbon. And since Papelbon took over the closers role in '06, only Francisco Rodriguez has more saves. During the stretch he has tootled a 2.21 ERA with an opponents batting average against of .200.

And, as the closer is quick to point out, the numbers have been garnered in one of baseball's most unique environments.
    "If I stay the appreciation factor will increase year by year, but if I go it will be a situation where the fans -- strictly the fans -- will realize what they had and what they would be missing," he said. "My dad always told me, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Sometimes people want to try and fix things that aren't broken, and sometimes they don't."
    Papelbon makes it clear: His first hope is that the Red Sox don't feel like his corner of the roster needs to be fixed.
    "I said this for years, I would like to stay here and break every record I possibly can, and win as many championships as I can in this uniform because this is the organization I came up with," he said. "I've done great things, and I've done some stupid things since I've been here. I've been the role model son of this organization, and I've been the red-headed step-child."
    But, in the next breath, Papelbon reminds himself of baseball's reality, one which he surfaces when asked if he would find it difficult to envision himself in another uniform.
    "No, it's not. That's something I've told my self from Day 1, that I've got to do what's best for me and my family. I've got to do what will make me successful," he said. "It's not about the money, it's about going somewhere day in and day out and wanting to be there. That's what it all boils down to. Going to a job every day I want to go to. I've really kept that in perspective.
    "You're going to go through your ups and downs, but at the end of the day when you look at the last six years it does make things interesting. It's all about what they may be looking for in the future, and if I'm in that equation, I'm in it, and if I'm not, I'm not."
    The fastball command is there. The split is back. The slider is a viable weapon. And saves are being made.
    Papelbon is making the kind of case some might have forgotten could be made.
    "Sometimes if you stick to the plan, it falls the way you want to," he said. "You're going to have ups and downs, and have to grind it out. Nothing is going to fall in your lap."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Re: Papelbon talks about why the Sox might want to keep him around.

I am one that hopes he can be re-signed. I would hate to see him come out of the dugout in Fenway Park for the 9th inning in a different uniform. I couldn't handle seeing that fist pump as he closes out a game against the Sox!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The---Babe-1. Show --The---Babe-1's posts

Did the toolbox really refer to himself as cinco ocho?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

LOL.  Paps is full of himself.  That being said, I hope the Sox re-sign him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Thing is, once Paps signs his next contract, it WILL be a huge chunk of money whether the Sox pay him or not.  Which means the other unproven relievers will be asking more money, and maybe getting it.   I think the Sox have to be careful here.  Relivers walk into another ballpark after an All Star season and they stink up the place.   Paps is right, he handled Boston for 6 years ... pretty amazing when you think of it.   Hope they can keep him. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I heard someone make a point on the radio (Massarotti?) about whether the Sox have even broached the subject of an extension with Papelbon.  I think the answer was that they hadn't, and won't, until he hits free agency. 

What that means to me is that come free agency, someone will overpay Papelbon and the Sox will say publicly that "they had a value set for the closer position", and they'll secretly be glad to take the picks and try their luck with Bard, Jenks or whomever next year.

Fans either love Papelbon or hate him these days.  Some read or see him refer to himself as Cinco Ocho and think that he's an egomaniacal redneck bent on being the highest paid closer ever.  To me, even though I can't stand the 3rd person references or his public persona, I also realize that he's the best closer this team has ever had and he's been a key to the success of this team.

I think his time here is over unfortunately, and lots of people will say good riddance.  But if the Sox don't at least make a reasonable offer to pique Papelbon's interest and make him think about whether the grass if really greener elsewhere, they are doing a major disservice to the the fans and, let's face it, the the back end of their bullpen.     

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

if he continues to pitch well, it will be interesting to see what kind of contract is out there for him.  His track record speaks for itself.  But, given the volatility of a closer-not-named-Mariano's career arc, I wonder what kind of length will be pffered.  Obviously, he will demand, and get, a high annual salary.  And, I have no problem with the sox laying out the dough for him in this regard.  But, how long will clubs be willing to sign a closer for in this day and age?  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

greetings CablesWyndBairn

What that means to me is that come free agency, someone will overpay Papelbon and the Sox will say publicly that "they had a value set for the closer position",

LOL I can hear theo saying that.............again

and they'll secretly be glad to take the picks and try their luck with Bard, Jenks or whomever next year.

you know some people think they won't be able to get any picks for him next yr

which might make them more likely to resign him

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Papelbon talks about why the Sox might want to keep him around.:
    [QUOTE]greetings CablesWyndBairn What that means to me is that come free agency, someone will overpay Papelbon and the Sox will say publicly that "they had a value set for the closer position",   LOL I can hear theo saying that.............again and they'll secretly be glad to take the picks and try their luck with Bard, Jenks or whomever next year . you know some people think they won't be able to get any picks for him next yr which might make them more likely to resign him
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

agreed zac. the money alone is one thing, coupled with the picks is something else. the soriano signing was more about losing the first round pick than yankee money.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I will find it interesting what the relief pitcher market will be. How many teams out there can offer Pap 3/$36 like the Sox? Or 2/$30 with a 3rd year option? Too many bust relief pitchers, including Jenks, Soriano, Benoit and on and on. Looking at the list of free agent relievers, how many can stand in front of the Yankee stadium crowd and close out a game? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from aquachuck. Show aquachuck's posts

In Response to Re: Papelbon talks about why the Sox might want to keep him around.:
    [QUOTE]Did the toolbox really refer to himself as cinco ocho?
    Posted by --The---Babe-1[/QUOTE]

he's earned the right to refer to himself as cinco ocho by performing at an elite level in the big leagues.  You, on the other hand, refer to yourself as "the one & only Babe."  Does posting 24/7 on a Sox forum & blogging your undeniable obsession w/ Boston give you the right to refer to yourself in the 3rd person?  At least he's getting paid bank to do what he does.  How much have your earned from BDC?  Exactly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

trust me Paps, you don't want to be anywhere near compared to that clown Chad Johnson(Ocho Stinko)...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I agree with the last couple of posts, good points all.  You all are correct about the volatility of the closer position, and the number of teams that can (or would) actually offer Papelbon the kind of money it would take to lure him from Boston is very small.  It would have to be a team:

1.  in contention for the WS
    2.  whose GM sees the closer position in need of an upgrade
    3.  who would be willing to lose its first rounder
    4.  who would pay the guy a hefty sum to get him to sign on the bottom line  

Papelbon has been pretty consistent in a good division for a long time, which must be appealing even with the historical burnout rate among closers.  He's  among a shortlist of very good closers on a pedestal a notch or two below Rivera.  He's in a pretty good position since he is having a good year, and I for one don't doubt that some team may bowl him over and make him leave here, especially since the Sox seem to be awfully quiet on the contract extension front.  Whether team X steps to the forefront remains to be seen, but if this past offseason is any indication, good (and some mediocre) relievers got some hefty paydays. 

I think the thing that could bring out the best in Papelbon is a year-to-year contract in Boston.  The AAV would be generous since the Sox will offer greater dollars for shorter term.  He would have all the motivation he needs to perform, and the Sox will not have the risk of a closer signed to a long-term contract. Will never happen, but it would be a win win situ.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I don't know about $45M, but Pap is right that closing ain't that simple or easy--except for Rivera. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The---Babe-1. Show --The---Babe-1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Papelbon talks about why the Sox might want to keep him around. : he's earned the right to refer to himself as cinco ocho by performing at an elite level in the big leagues.  You, on the other hand, refer to yourself as "the one & only Babe."  Does posting 24/7 on a Sox forum & blogging your undeniable obsession w/ Boston give you the right to refer to yourself in the 3rd person?  At least he's getting paid bank to do what he does.  How much have your earned from BDC?  Exactly.

Posted by aquachuck[/QUOTE]

Is that really the best you could come up with?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Papelbon talks about why the Sox might want to keep him around. : agreed zac. the money alone is one thing, coupled with the picks is something else. the soriano signing was more about losing the first round pick than yankee money.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

greetings Jbay

I think you missed my unclear point

I was suggesting that the sox wouldn't

get any compensation picks for him

which would make it harder to let him walk away

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Cables,
    But who would "lure him from Boston"? Yankees with Mo and Soriano on the books? Mets with that financial mess? Cards knowing they have to pay Pujols? Rays? Blue Jays? Angels after the Fuentes fiasco? Rangers?
    I am hard pressed to see someone offering Pap more than $12-14 per and see the Sox willing to go $12-14 per if it is year by year or for 2 years with a team option 3rd.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

i got ya zac, which is why i agreed. the sox may be more apt to sign him as opposed to letting him walk, since it's just about the money. if the sox were to also gain picks, they'd hand paps his walking papers.  tampa let soriano walk due to the money and gaining a compensation pick. cashman was opposed to signing soriano not due to the money, but also losing the first round draft pick

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I can see the sox going 3 years and 12-14 per..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

ok cool

finally someone that understands me ;-)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]Cables, But who would "lure him from Boston"? Yankees with Mo and Soriano on the books? Mets with that financial mess? Cards knowing they have to pay Pujols? Rays? Blue Jays? Angels after the Fuentes fiasco? Rangers? I am hard pressed to see someone offering Pap more than $12-14 per and see the Sox willing to go $12-14 per if it is year by year or for 2 years with a team option 3rd.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

Rakrp, it's pure speculation on my part that he is done here, but as others have pointed out, the need to give up a pick AND cough up the dosh makes it possible that the Sox and Papelbon are not parting ways just yet.  I don't have a list compiled, and I agree that the number of suitors would be severly limited. I guess my speculation is based on the Sox' lack of interest to date.  (I believe Papelbon has stated that they've never apporached him about a multi-year deal.)  As you point out, Paps' expected type A free agent designation may limit his offers and the Sox may benefit in that whatever offer he gets may be at a cost they're happy to match.  Could likely be so. 

I'm speculating that one team on the verge of a WS may be chips all in for a 1-2 year run, even if they have to pay him for 3 or 4  years.  The RS overpaid themselves at one time for Keith Foulke, so someone else may do the same. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The---Babe-1. Show --The---Babe-1's posts

[QUOTE]Last I looked Papelbon is a Class A Free Agent as of right now, so they would get picks. Check out mlbtraderumors.com  has all the classifications

Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

That all depends if the current format remains intact.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think that the past 2 years has de valued the position, making teams gun shy. Year to year, one can never tell with relief pitching (Soriano, Benoit, Jenks). I think Theo was first to pick up on this trend and has been very smart going year to year for Pap.
    I prefer Pap to any of the othjer relief pitching available next year, including Bell (never been on the big stage in a pennant race) and Nathan (injury).
    I really like Bard, but in his current role along side Pap, not instead of Pap. Even if the Sox go 1 year at $16 next year, I would do it. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paulawht63. Show Paulawht63's posts

The way Pap has been closing for the Sox this season I say sox should  re-sign him Cause Bard hasn't done a good job when he has closed but Pap has RESIGN PAP

Sections
Shortcuts