Papelbon: Tigers or Sox, and for who?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Papelbon: Tiger or Sox, and for who?

So the rumor mill has started and it has been suggested that the Phills are talking with Boston and Detroit about paps. Makes a lot of sense considering both teams are in 1st place and currently have closer issues. the question I have is, what would you give up for Paps and what do you think the Tigers will give up, and will he end up with us or Detroit?

http://nesn.com/2013/06/report-phillies-talking-to-red-sox-tigers-about-jonathan-papelbon/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Papelbon: Tigers or Sox, and for who?

Just rumors--and a bad idea for the Sox.  Bailey for all his problems cost the Sox exactly one win, and Uehara is just fine, thank you.  Papelbon will not be worth whatever the Phillies want.  Bigger needs are a good starter or a good righty bat and even those might be too pricey.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Just rumors--and a bad idea for the Sox.  Bailey for all his problems cost the Sox exactly one win, and Uehara is just fine, thank you.  Papelbon will not be worth whatever the Phillies want.  Bigger needs are a good starter or a good righty bat and even those might be too pricey.

Im with you. Although at one time I thought paps might be a good idea, I have since changed my mind. I think we have some good internal options for the pen and with lackey pitching like a TOTR starter, once Buch comes back we could have a nice 1/2 punch for the stretch run.

Our offense has been fine without a big RH bat, so I dont see that as a "need". Im sure the Sox will look into all pitching/depth options regardless. Crain is one name I would look at for possible pen help, but Im not seeing a starter that could really make a difference that makes sense for us.

maybe another name we didnt think of will become available.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Avoid Papelbon.

The Phillies have no minor league system whatsoever and will need serious return if they want to rebuild.  They are undoubtedly prepared to eats lots of contract commitments.

The cheaper Jesse Crain would be a smarter target. ..

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I agree max.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I'm surprised they named Uehara as the closer.

But, if they can manage his innings and stay away from 6 or 7 out saves, he's got the talent and make up to do the job.

Trading for Papelbon would be a desperation move.

I don't think the Sox are that desperate, yet.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It will be a massive overpay for a closer.

I pass.

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Avoid Papelbon.

The Phillies have no minor league system whatsoever and will need serious return if they want to rebuild.  They are undoubtedly prepared to eats lots of contract commitments.

The cheaper Jesse Crain would be a smarter target. ..

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

I am guessing that Crain is the guy both the Red Sox and Tigers are really interested in.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Just how many actual "SAVE" opportunities do we have a year?

A good number have been unhappy with Bailey. Others haven't been unhappy with Hanrahan. Then we had Taz now Ue--maybe we will bring up another home grown closer like the Cards seem to do. Nobody's perfect.

Last year some weren't happy with Aceve's first foray as closer he was 25 saves for 33 opportunities. Would those 8 Blown Saves have really mattered in the long haul last year--I don't think so.

Pap's blown saves in 2011 mattered( there were only 3) but we finished one game out.

2010------------------37 for 45

2011                      31 for 34

2012                      38 for 42

2013 so far            15 for 19

I like " Ue, Ue Baby" so far-----things always change even "Mariano the Great" has a stinker every so often.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

I pass also..........that ship is $$$ and has already sailed

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

So here is this years Save Record:      14   for   25 and we are in first place by 3.5 games. I know we didn't lose all the B S games. I would guess Detroit is in much the same boat.

Now if we had 7 more saves we would be riding high going into the All Star Break because we would have definitely had 7 more wins.

Breakdown:

Hanny  4 for 6

Bailey  8 for 12

Taz      0 for 3

Miller   0 for 1

Ue       2 for 3

So do we panic BenC and go out and trade for someone,  or do ride Ue, as Balt. did in 2010,  for 13 of 15 games saved. I say hold steady ride "Mr. Enthusiasm" until he falls off the horse.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

On another note...The Marlins are trying to trade Nolasco and are pushing pretty hard to get it done. Now, Im not saying I want him, because I dont. But whoever does get him will certainly set the trade market as far as value goes for starters. This will affect Matt Garza and other pitchers that will be available.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

On another note...The Marlins are trying to trade Nolasco and are pushing pretty hard to get it done. Now, Im not saying I want him, because I dont. But whoever does get him will certainly set the trade market as far as value goes for starters. This will affect Matt Garza and other pitchers that will be available.

I like where we are--it may change in a month.

If we are in pursuit I would prefer Lee only because we will be paying more and If we are giving up good people to get someone I want the best on the market that will help us win it all this year.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to crimsonandclover's comment:

Closers are overrated, 3 run homers and "stopper" starting pitchers aren't. The Red Sox have already made a fool of themselves with Hanrahan. Papelbon would be a huge improvement, but his cost exceeds benefit in light of where the impact player weaknesses are for the Red Sox.

Lee is the only player the Phillies have that is worth trading for. Someone actually suggested trading Lester, which would make zero sense to the Phillies. The Phillies aren't looking to save money, they are looking to retool and get a better performing team.

Dempster and Owens and Ellsbury (and a lower ranked prospect) for Lee and Mayberry would work for both teams. To get Lee to agree, the Red Sox would simply need to guarantee the option year on his current contract. 

The Phillies and Red Sox could make a trade that makes both teams better in the respective leagues they play in. They are a good match from big markets in different leagues.

softy?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Softy?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from thegrandsalami. Show thegrandsalami's posts

Agreed,love to have him but not for what they will probably want in return.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I see alot of the cost would be too high posts and it probably would be, but I for one think having Paps back as the closer makes us a much better team and in the AL East, 2 less Blown Saves between now and October could easily be the difference between being in the playoss or out of the playoffs, and if you are in the playoffs having a closer who has done it before and can go 3 days in a row(Uehara mostly isnt doing that) would be essential to advancing. So no I would not want to "Overpay"', but I am definitely talking to the Phillies....the fact of the matter is, other than the Tigers and Us , who are the Phillies going to trade him to? Lack of suitors will keep the price down a little....If I excluded the Sox curent top 7 prospects(according to Sox Prospects)...Boegaerts, Bradley, Webster, Cechinni, Ranuado, Barnes, Dela Rosa and the Sox could get the Philles to take 2/3 guys below that(with only one being in the remaining top 10) would that be "Overpaying"? The way the Phillies look with a quickly aging Howard, Utley, Rollins, Lee, Haladay....they not only need prospects, but they need to get rid of long term contract commitments also......I have no idea what they would accept but I think the Sox should sure as Heck being trying to find out.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Remember, Paps, for the last 2 or 3 years he was with the Sox, had very few 1-2-3 innings and if he had come into more 1 run leads, he would have had more blown saves. Just saying.

The best defense is a good offense.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

If I'm the Sox here is the only item I give the Phils for Papplebon... Schilling's other sock. Not the bloody one... the other one. And not Curt Schilling, but Tony Schilling who works at the Firestone on Plymouth Ave in Fall River, MA. Tony Schilling's non-bloody sock is the only thing I would trade for Paps.

Would any of you make this move?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

Closers are overrated, 3 run homers and "stopper" starting pitchers aren't. The Red Sox have already made a fool of themselves with Hanrahan. Papelbon would be a huge improvement, but his cost exceeds benefit in light of where the impact player weaknesses are for the Red Sox.

Lee is the only player the Phillies have that is worth trading for. Someone actually suggested trading Lester, which would make zero sense to the Phillies. The Phillies aren't looking to save money, they are looking to retool and get a better performing team.

Dempster and Owens and Ellsbury (and a lower ranked prospect) for Lee and Mayberry would work for both teams. To get Lee to agree, the Red Sox would simply need to guarantee the option year on his current contract. 

The Phillies and Red Sox could make a trade that makes both teams better in the respective leagues they play in. They are a good match from big markets in different leagues.

This trade would make no sense for the Phillies. Why would they want Els who is FA this winter or the veteran Dempster? More likely they would want Doubrount to go along with Owens and another prospect.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Sox didn't want to pay Papelbon before. Now they would not only have to pick up his contract , but give up prospects in addition. Don't think it will happen.  No question but that they would be a better team with Pap closing.  Just don't see it happening.

Stabbed by Foulke.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

In looking back the Sox should have resigned Papelbon. I was down on him at the time because he had a very poor season, and although he rebounded well the following year I felt he was on his way down. The way things turned out he could not possibly have been worse than Jenks and company. 

At this point there is no way I'd think about trading for him. With Buchholtz up in the air, I can't see trading prospects. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

".....over and over......"

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I saw the Phillies play the Padres on Wednesday evening in San Diego, but I did not stick aorund fofr Jonathan Papelbon's 13th-inning save.