Papelbon: Tigers or Sox, and for who?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Re: Papelbon: Tigers or Sox, and for who?

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Just rumors--and a bad idea for the Sox.  Bailey for all his problems cost the Sox exactly one win, and Uehara is just fine, thank you.  Papelbon will not be worth whatever the Phillies want.  Bigger needs are a good starter or a good righty bat and even those might be too pricey.

Well said!!!  Good to see some people around here still have common sense as it's getting pretty sad around here lately.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i would only deal for pap if we can get him at a reasonable cost, he is good, but he is still a closer making 12 or 13 mill per year, thats a heft contract, no way we should be taking that on and giving them a legit prospect or multiple prospects, if they agreed to eat a significant part of his contract, then we can talk good prospects. but we if are taking on the whole thing, then we should not give them much. and i dont think cliff lee is someone we should go after at all, yes he is pitching well this year, but he is getting up there in age and has a big contract. if we are going to get a pitcher (which we should), then the 2 guys we need to target are gallardo and garza, I would prefer gallardo, but he is certainly the higher risk but has high potential, garza is more of a proven comodity and has experience in the AL east, but is older and is not really an ace and is a free agent at years end. gallardo has ace ability, is realively young (27 i believe) and is signed for 2 more years, possibly 3. buchholz is still not back, lester hurt tonight (hopefully nothing major), doubront struggling, we need to start making a push for a starter, i would offer the brewers doubront, cecchini and britton that could get a deal done. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Cecchini and Doubie and a low level prospect. Cecchini is gioing to be a star at some point--he may be another Wade Boggs. I would trade Middlebrooks before I would give away Cecch--this kid is a pure hitter and could be a contributor on this Sox team right now. 

If you are including Cecch in a trade it should be for someone really, really good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Cecchini and Doubie and a low level prospect.

For Paps and his 12.5 million salary and his reduced velocity and his 4 blown saves out of the last 5? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Cecchini and Doubie and a low level prospect. Cecchini is gioing to be a star at some point--he may be another Wade Boggs. I would trade Middlebrooks before I would give away Cecch--this kid is a pure hitter and could be a contributor on this Sox team right now. 

If you are including Cecch in a trade it should be for someone really, really good.

Seriously Mad, I like you and your enthusiasm. But Cecchini AND Doubie, PLUS another prospect for Paps and his 13M throwing 92MPH?? Even if you replace Garin with Will, its a ton of talent for a guy that might be 2/3 of what he was when he was here, and consistently losing velocity. By the end of the deal, paps will be throwing 88-91 and getting hammered. Personally, I think Cecchini is one of the "untouchables" at this point.

I started the thread not because I wanted him, but to see what other people though he might be worth. You obviously still think very highly of him. I respect that, but wholeheartedly disagree.

Id be better going after Jesse Crain or even K-Rod.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Wolfpack13's comment:

If I'm the Sox here is the only item I give the Phils for Papplebon... Schilling's other sock. Not the bloody one... the other one. And not Curt Schilling, but Tony Schilling who works at the Firestone on Plymouth Ave in Fall River, MA. Tony Schilling's non-bloody sock is the only thing I would trade for Paps.

Would any of you make this move?

Now, THAT'S funny!

I'd make that deal.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Just rumors--and a bad idea for the Sox.  Bailey for all his problems cost the Sox exactly one win, and Uehara is just fine, thank you.  Papelbon will not be worth whatever the Phillies want.  Bigger needs are a good starter or a good righty bat and even those might be too pricey.

Agree "max".  Forget Paps and his big contract and ego.  JT and KU have been looking real good as the setup man and closer.  Why change it even when Bailey gets back 100% physically.  The bad part of Bailey returning is that Farrell seems to just love Bailey to be his closer even though he is not as efficient as KU at this time and may not ever be in the furture.  As the old saying goes "if it ain't broke don't fix it".  GO SOX and JT/KU! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

Let me see if I have this straight.  There are people here saying that the Red Sox should trade prospects AND pay Paplebon's high salary when they previously refused to pay his high salary?

The phrase "idiot, wrapped in a moron" is in full abundance here.

If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Dombrowski of the Tigers almost has to make this move. Invested heavy already. Coke is a disaster. Smyly, Benoit, and Paplebon, makes them formidable.
    Sox get involved, will be a bidding war for teams best Prospects. Stay away.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I'd rather see the Sox get Kevin Gregg from the Cubs than Papelbon.He wouldn't cost much in prospects and he has a 1.42 ERA along with being 12 for 12 in save opportunities this year.He's 37,so he won't be part of the Cubs rebuilding plans. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

One solid SP and a solid RH bat and then they won't really need a Papelbon caliber closer this year.

Sections
Shortcuts