Papelbon to sign with Phillies

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Papelbon to sign with Phillies

From MLBTraderumors.com:

Phillies To Sign Jonathan Papelbon

The Phillies have agreed to sign Jonathan Papelbon, according to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com (on Twitter). The deal is pending a physical.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Papelbon to sign with Phillies

OK, well there it is.  Can't wait to see what the numbers are that the Sox balked at.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In Response to Re: Papelbon to sign with Phillies:
    OK, well there it is.  Can't wait to see what the numbers are that the Sox balked at.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

It also begs the question,who's going to be the new Red Sox closer?Are they going to give Bard the job or seek someone else through free agency or trade? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Sox must have decided to let him walk for the money/years he was looking for.

Paps has been waiting for his big payday for years and doubt he would give any hometown discount.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Least he is out of the AL. Saw this comming weeks ago...

Oh well, life goes on...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanCap. Show SanCap's posts

Well, maybe - there were earlier reports this week that they re-signed their own guy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

The Phils probably came in with an extra year.

If this news is true, then the counter stops at 2.  That counter being "how many Red Sox seasons have ended with a Papelbon blown save."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedGatorSox. Show RedGatorSox's posts

First reaction is this is TERRIBLE news.  Who replaces a 30+ save per year guy?  Paps definitely had moments where you wanted to scream (like most closers), but on the whole, he was pretty valuable to the Sox.

Of course, if the money and/or years were outrageous, then you might understand why the Sox weren't able to keep him.

Maybe Heath Bell can be signed reasonably?  If not, it's time for Bard to step up with someone else to take the role of the 8th inning set up guy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RonSwanson. Show RonSwanson's posts

Not the worst thing in the world. We'll get a couple draft picks and can spend that money on the rotation.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FREE8. Show FREE8's posts

Ughhh..this is awful....Papelbon is a great closer......I hate this team right now..Papelbon gone? wow---this totally sucks...

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

bradfo Rob Bradford Source says that Papelbon has not yet agreed on deal with Phillies, with sides 'still working at it' Could happen, just not yet 1 minute ago
    Posted by pinstripezac

thanks Zac.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

From MLBTraderumors.com:

1:42pm: 
    The sides have agreed to a four-year deal that approaches $50MM in value, according to Salisbury (on Twitter).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

Reports are 4 years 50-55 mil 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

bradfo Rob Bradford Source says that Papelbon has not yet agreed on deal with Phillies, with sides 'still working at it' Could happen, just not yet 1 minute ago
    Posted by pinstripezac

Why is it that our Yankee friend zac is oftentimes more astute on the comings and goings of Red Sox players, etc. than most Red Sox fans who frequent this message board??

Thanks zac, you keep things level here!

By the way, If Papelbon leaves it's because that's what HE WANTED! He didn't desire to go to free agency just to sign a contract with Boston. If he does move on to Philly, then Heath Bell, Joe Nathan and Madsen could be reasonable alternatives.

Maybe they can make a run at Brian Wilson during one of his Taco Bell commercials!

Time will tell!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Ken Rosenthal is also reporting the deal as 4 years/$50 million. While $12.5 million per year is a little less than I think Papelbon could earn on a shorter contract, the fourth year at those dollars likely makes it worthwhile for him.

If I were Papelbon, and the Red Sox countered at 3 years/$42 million, I would be tempted to accept the Boston offer because that's an additional $1.5 million per year for three seasons (total of $4.5 million) in comparison to the first three years of the Philadelphia deal. I'd only have to make $8.5 million in the fourth year (either on a new contract with Boston, or somewhere else) to come out ahead of the 4 year/$50 million offer.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Ken Rosenthal is also reporting the deal as 4 years/$50 million. While $12.5 million per year is a little less than I think Papelbon could earn on a shorter contract, the fourth year at those dollars likely makes it worthwhile for him. If I were Papelbon, and the Red Sox countered at 3 years/$42 million, I would be tempted to accept the Boston offer because that's an additional $1.5 million per year for three seasons (total of $4.5 million) in comparison to the first three years of the Philadelphia deal. I'd only have to make $8.5 million in the fourth year (either on a new contract with Boston, or somewhere else) to come out ahead of the 4 year/$50 million offer.
    Posted by davidap

Unlike some other things, with contracts, length is generally more important than bulk.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

4 years for approximately close to 50 million dollars.....wow, he went for $$$$  He just knew that Boston will never come close to that offer.  That is why he never bother to wait for Boston to counter-offer against the Phillies

Well, Heath Bell have stated that he would love to pitch for Boston.  I am sure he ll take less money and less year.   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Pap was paid $12 million last year.  His new contract is for $12.5 million.  Even if it's for 4 years, that seems like short money to let him walk.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

4 years for approximately close to 50 million dollars.....wow, he went for $$$$  He just knew that Boston will never come close to that offer.  That is why he never bother to wait for Boston to counter-offer against the Phillies Well, Heath Bell have stated that he would love to pitch for Boston.  I am sure he ll take less money and less year.   
    Posted by GoUconn13

Heath Bell is also 4 years older than Papelbon.  I'd look at Madson first. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

thanks, zac.

Sort of saw this coming. Saw some chatter on the Internet about it.

Well, yeah, maybe Madson is available now.  Or, as Ron says, take the draft picks and pocket the money.  According to Cot's, Paps was making $12 mil.  That could go a long way toward the salary for a #2-#3 starter.  Assuming we make Bard the closer and someone else the setup guy. 

Not the worst thing in the world, IMO. Yes, he was great last year, but the year before he had 8 blown saves, four of them against the Yankees.  If he had only cut that number in half, including two against the Yankees, we go into the final weekend with a shot at the WC - in spite of a horrendous year of injuries.

Will look forward to a drama-free closer in the years to come.

Best of luck to him, btw. He has a wife and a couple young kids.  Can't blame him for putting bread on the table.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

That kind of money is ridiculous for a guy who throws 60 innings / year.  Bard will be a very good closer - if we can get one of the Braves' arms in a trade, great.  If not, sign Peralta to set him up.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Pap was paid $12 million last year.  His new contract is for $12.5 million.  Even if it's for 4 years, that seems like short money to let him walk.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

I agree with you.  Resigning Papelbon should have been the most important signing for the Red Sox this season.  I am very disappointed that he is leaving and don't believe that anyone will be a good replacement. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

In Response to Papelbon to sign with Phillies:
    From MLBTraderumors.com: Phillies To Sign Jonathan Papelbon By Ben Nicholson-Smith [November 11 at 1:18pm CST] The Phillies have agreed to sign Jonathan Papelbon , according to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com (on Twitter ). The deal is pending a physical.
    Posted by mrmojo1120
    This is terrible news.There is nobody the sox can sign or trade for that will make them a better team without pap than with pap.The only plus is if the sox bomb than no-one can say"the 2nd most expensive team".The phillies now have that honour.

Sections
Shortcuts