Papelbon to sign with Phillies

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Papelbon to sign with Phillies

I am sure Boston would take a look at Madson too.  Remember Madson just became a full time closer last year for the first time in his career. 

So I just think it will come down with #'s of years and $$$.

Boston already have Barnes pitching well as a reliever and closer in minor league.  He should be ready in 2014.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Nothing like gauging that market Cherrington. Pappelbon guaged it right out of town to Philladelphia. Great first move. Just I would like one time when this team would be honest up front and say they had no interest in retaining the guy. Tired of this team BS

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: Papelbon to sign with Phillies:
    In Response to Re: Papelbon to sign with Phillies : It also begs the question,who's going to be the new Red Sox closer?Are they going to give Bard the job or seek someone else through free agency or trade? 
    Posted by mrmojo1120

Gee, let me see...

ummm Bard????

he has been doing all the heavy relief lifting the last two years being put in with runners on base and the game on the line...going into the 9th with a lead and no risp will seem like heaven to him...good non move Boston!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Papelbon to sign with Phillies : Gee, let me see... ummm Bard???? he has been doing all the heavy relief lifting the last two years being put in with runners on base and the game on the line...going into the 9th with a lead and no risp will seem like heaven to him...good non move Boston!
    Posted by georom4

I tend to agree but that leaves a big hole in the 8th inning.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

The right call on both parties.  Sign a cheaper closer and another setup guy, or let bard do it, and sign 2-3 setup guys.  Either way save some $ here.  Paps arm will blow out within 2 years anyhow.  The sox have been babying it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Nothing like gauging that market Cherrington. Pappelbon guaged it right out of town to Philladelphia. Great first move. Just I would like one time when this team would be honest up front and say they had no interest in retaining the guy. Tired of this team BS
    Posted by AL34

First of all AL, Happy Veterans Day and thanks for your service to our country.

Every GM says they want their players back. not sure it was BS, doubt they wanted to go 4 years. Paps has been talking about and waiting to hit FA for years and was clearly going to the highest bidder. Also, the clubhouse issues may have contributed to the FO decision

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

See ya Paps! Thanks for 2007!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Pap should have been with the Sox for life. 

What's the old saying about a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush?  Pap proved he could be consistently successful with the Red Sox.  I would think that by now, people would realize that just because a player is successful playing somewhere else, doesn't mean they'll be successful with the Red Sox.

Expecting players like Pap to take a home town discount is ridiculous.  They should be given a home town premium. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

From MLBTraderumors.com:

2:13pm:
     Jayson Stark of ESPN.com hears the deal includes a vesting option that could bring the total value of the contract over $60MM (Twitter link).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

That kind of money is ridiculous for a guy who throws 60 innings / year.  Bard will be a very good closer - if we can get one of the Braves' arms in a trade, great.  If not, sign Peralta to set him up.  
    Posted by slomag

agree.. approximately 210K per inning.. dang...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

From MLBTraderumors.com: 2:13pm:  Jayson Stark of ESPN.com hears the deal includes a vesting option that could bring the total value of the contract over $60MM ( Twitter link).
    Posted by mrmojo1120

Forget it!!!  60mm????  ridiculous!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

J-Bay Thank you very much but I am not happy with this move at all. Now they will go after a "budgetr" guy who has not been tested in the AL EAST. Yankee Fans in New York are thrilled to death here. I liked Papelbon thought he was a good guy compared to some of the questionable guys this team has signed in the past.

In Response to Re: Papelbon to sign with Phillies : First of all AL, Happy Veterans Day and thanks for your service to our country. Every GM says they want their players back. not sure it was BS, doubt they wanted to go 4 years. Paps has been talking about and waiting to hit FA for years and was clearly going to the highest bidder. Also, the clubhouse issues may have contributed to the FO decision
    Posted by J-BAY

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

Yeah, that's not an absurd amount of money. It's $500,000 more per season than he was making, although I'm basing him making $12 million last year on a previous post, didn't look it up myself. I'd have to think the Sox wanted to let him walk and spend the money in other areas, unless they expected him to hit free agency and take a pay cut.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

In Response to Papelbon to sign with Phillies:
    From MLBTraderumors.com: Phillies To Sign Jonathan Papelbon By Ben Nicholson-Smith [November 11 at 1:18pm CST] The Phillies have agreed to sign Jonathan Papelbon , according to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com (on Twitter ). The deal is pending a physical.
    Posted by mrmojo1120

This is just a continuance of the Sox allowing proven players to walk for the purpose of gambling on unproven players. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Papelbon to sign with Phillies : Gee, let me see... ummm Bard???? he has been doing all the heavy relief lifting the last two years being put in with runners on base and the game on the line...going into the 9th with a lead and no risp will seem like heaven to him...good non move Boston!
    Posted by georom4

Way to get to the pith of the matter G.  The imprudence of signing a closer who's best years are behind him to a 4 year deal at 12.5 per aside, as you point out, D. Bard has been carrying the water.  Its his turn.  And he will do just fine.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

That kind of money is ridiculous for a guy who throws 60 innings / year.  Bard will be a very good closer - if we can get one of the Braves' arms in a trade, great.  If not, sign Peralta to set him up.  
    Posted by slomag

Wow hope your right. This could be bad who's going to pitch the 7-8 inngs now not much out there.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

The Phillies are an extremely aggressive organization.  You have to admire that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I heard this garbage about not going 4 years on a contract when Jonny Damon left in 2006 and the FO said he had one maybe two years left. Footnote is 2011 and Damon is still playing. Please do not tell me Joe Nathan is a good replacement. I remember him in the 2009 playoffs hyperventilating that he had to go out and face the Yankees to save the game. Incidentally he blew it, not a pressure guy, Pappelbon was proven Bell and Madson have not been in the AL EAST before.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

The Phillies are an extremely aggressive organization.  You have to admire that.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost

Look where that got them this year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

We gave 85 million to Lac key which was crazy. Pappelbon was tested.
    In Response to Re: Papelbon to sign with Phillies :  Wow hope your right. This could be bad who's going to pitch the 7-8 inngs now not much out there.
    Posted by CHUBBIE99

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Bard you tell me, I thought I heard whispers that they were thinking of putting him into the rotation.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I heard this garbage about not going 4 years on a contract when Jonny Damon left in 2006 and the FO said he had one maybe two years left. Footnote is 2011 and Damon is still playing. Please do not tell me Joe Nathan is a good replacement. I remember him in the 2009 playoffs hyperventilating that he had to go out and face the Yankees to save the game. Incidentally he blew it, not a pressure guy, Pappelbon was proven Bell and Madson have not been in the AL EAST before.
    Posted by AL34

Definitely agree with you.  Whoever they sign has never been a closer in the AL East.  Imagine if Papelbon had been the closer for the Rangers this year.  I believe they would have won the World Series.  He was very reliable under the pressure situations of the playoffs.  Not ever closer is. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In Response to Re: Papelbon to sign with Phillies : Look where that got them this year.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

You mean the playoffs?

I like that they see a need (closer) and act on it.

Our ball club can't seem to hire a manager.  Although, I expect that we'll have one come spring training.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I agree with you although I suspect it is Sveum and they are covering their backsides with the other interviews. Fell bad for Alomar because I suspect he is being used.

In Response to Re: Papelbon to sign with Phillies : You mean the playoffs? I like that they see a need (closer) and act on it. Our ball club can't seem to hire a manager.  Although, I expect that we'll have one come spring training.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSNS14. Show RSNS14's posts

Sign Joba.

Sections
Shortcuts