Papelbon to sign with Phillies

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Papelbon to sign with Phillies

In Response to Re: Papelbon to sign with Phillies:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Papelbon to sign with Phillies : Due to the Phillies success , their first round pick will not be a high one. It will be very late in the round.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

From ESPNBoston.com:

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/7220927/jonathan-papelbon-philadelphia-phillies-agree-4-year-50-million-deal-source-says

Under the current rules, because Papelbon is a Type A free agent, the Red Sox would receive the Phillies' No. 1 pick, the 31st overall pick, in the draft.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

good riddance, never really liked the guy

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

From keith Law:

Papelbon a mistake for Phillies

Giving any relief pitcher a four-year contract is a bad idea

LawBy Keith Law
    ESPN Insider

I thought signing Ryan Madson for four years and $44 million was a bad idea, even though he is the best free-agent reliever on the market, both short- and long-term. The history of signing relievers to deals of that length is simply too awful to ignore.

That contract would have been a bargain relative to the four-year deal the Phillies are about to give Jonathan Papelbon -- more money, plus a lost draft pick, for an inferior reliever who gives up more fly balls.

Papelbon was the second-best relief option on the market, but even in one of his best seasons in 2011, he was worth only two or three wins above replacement, and I'd put the over/under on his WAR for this deal at around eight, which would still make it a pretty bad contract. But the real issue with any reliever and with Papelbon specifically is high attrition rates -- relievers don't last, and their peaks tend to be short.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

This year is starting to remind me of the end of 2008 when we put all the eggs in one basket on Teixeira and called Boras' bluff and "gauged" the market that there were no other suiters on him and lost. BTW there was no backup plan in case Teixeria signed elsewhere. Now are we going to "gauge" the market on Cuddyer, Beltran and others. Welcome to the forum Ben Cherrington, your part of it now !

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]This year is starting to remind me of the end of 2008 when we put all the eggs in one basket on Teixeira and called Boras' bluff and "gauged" the market that there were no other suiters on him and lost. BTW there was no backup plan in case Teixeria signed elsewhere. Now are we going to "gauge" the market on Cuddyer, Beltran and others. Welcome to the forum Ben Cherrington, your part of it now !
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]

Its not at all like that, as there is no Tex on the market to put all eggs into said basket.  And it is actually imperitive to guage the markets for your Cuddyers and Beltrans, as they are not worth overpaying.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Spaceman Pappelbon was proven in AL East these other guys are not but they are in weaker leagues and divisions. Depending on what the Sox do to improve this team in the off season like pick up a right handed bat, not the injury prone left handed hitting outfielder from the Indians. Cuddyer has already been contacted by Philadelphia and if they spent the money on Papelbon you can bet they are going after him next. I hope we do not gauge the market as he signs with the Phillies as well. We are a wealthy team, not papuers so what if we overpay a little for a guy.  I might gauge the market to see what this team does to improve itself if I decide to gauge my options and pick up the baseball package with FIOS. 

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Papelbon to sign with Phillies : Its not at all like that, as there is no Tex on the market to put all eggs into said basket.  And it is actually imperitive to guage the markets for your Cuddyers and Beltrans, as they are not worth overpaying.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Paps,

Thanks for the memories!  We will always love & appreciate what you did for Boston!!!!!   :)

Good luck Paps!

I hope he does well!  I actually think this is ok????  time for some new blood!  We need a new atmosphere here in Boston!  Time to look for some big, tough, character guys!  Not that Paps wasn't, we simply need to move on!  The more I start thinking about it, I wouldn't mind seeing Beckett gone????  Perhaps we're able to pick up 2 #3 guys for his kind of money???   I just don't see Beckett matching what he did through 2/3 of the season last year, for a full year?  I don't think he has the fire in his belly anymore!  It's an internal thing!  He's gotten his, & doesn't NEED anymore.  Time to move on!  Let's go to some young guns!  Guys with fire in their eyes!!!  LIKE PAPS!  when he first came to the Sox!  I can't wait to see what other changes come to the Red Sox for 2012!!!!!

Take care Paps!  :)  Best of luck to you.....  It was time

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steve3344. Show Steve3344's posts

[QUOTE]That kind of money is ridiculous for a guy who throws 60 innings / year.  Bard will be a very good closer - if we can get one of the Braves' arms in a trade, great.  If not, sign Peralta to set him up.  
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Over $200,000 per inning.  Nice work if you can get it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PapiFan. Show PapiFan's posts

Bard is ready to close.  No need to sign a closer for over 10 million when your in house guy is better then all of the available closers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Not sure how the Sox are going to replace him - he was proven in a very tough AL East...something that is going to make it difficult to fill his shoes for the next closer.