Papelbon used nonsteroidal Toradol while with the Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Papelbon used nonsteroidal Toradol while with the Red Sox

Here's a couple of paragraphs and a link to read the rest of the article.From an ESPNBoston.com article:

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8935151/jonathan-papelbon-says-took-toradol-shots-boston-red-sox

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Former Boston Red Sox closer Jonathan Papelbon, who was with the team from 2005-11, said Saturday that he and numerous other Red Sox players were regularly injected with Toradol, a legal anti-inflammatory drug whose use has become increasingly controversial in sports.

Toradol is the nonsteroidal drug that Red Sox pitcher Clay Buchholz acknowledged last season might have contributed to the esophagitis that sidelined him for 20 games. Buchholz was hospitalized in intensive care and lost three or four pints of blood while dealing with the condition, which is a known side effect of the painkiller.

Papelbon said that when he was administered a physical by the Philadelphia Phillies prior to signing as a free agent after the 2011 season, doctors asked him if he used Toradol. When he answered in the affirmative, he was told that he would have to stop.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Papelbon used nonsteroidal Toradol while with the Red Sox

seems like it is super Advil....that is bad...i have shoulder issues and have rehabbed it a bit to no avail - One week I took about four-five advil a day for pain and within three days i had to go to the emergency room for internal bleeding...cant believe the Sox brass would do this

heat

stretch

ice

rest....

thats it

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

seems like it is super Advil....that is bad...i have shoulder issues and have rehabbed it a bit to no avail - One week I took about four-five advil a day for pain and within three days i had to go to the emergency room for internal bleeding...cant believe the Sox brass would do this

heat

stretch

ice

rest....

thats it

Nice to know Georom, I have a few injuries I deal with in pretty much the same way, you try to use over the counter to alleviate the pain.

Ibuprohen works for me (at least 600 mg) but I have not used it for more than 2 days a stretch.

A beeatch getting old.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

heat

stretch

ice

rest....

thats it

You can not believe the RS brass did this buy said you did as well. Sounds like you wanted the same results as the RS to be able to do what you do free of pain and it was legal.

i also believe you did not read the instructions on the bottle for usage. Which is one per 6 hours or 2 but no more than 6 in 24 hours And bleeding as a side affect.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

heat

stretch

ice

rest....

thats it

You can not believe the RS brass did this buy said you did as well. Sounds like you wanted the same results as the RS to be able to do what you do free of pain and it was legal.

i also believe you did not read the instructions on the bottle for usage. Which is one per 6 hours or 2 but no more than 6 in 24 hours And bleeding as a side affect.

i really wasnt keeping track of the pills...i took one or two every five hours....didnt seem extreme and i have no history of being sensitive to medication....i was a bit suprised....but what the sox were injecting had to be seriously strong...that is a bit different for medical experts to administer wouldnt you say?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

heat

stretch

ice

rest....

thats it

i really wasnt keeping track of the pills...i took one or two every five hours....didnt seem extreme and i have no history of being sensitive to medication....i was a bit suprised....but what the sox were injecting had to be seriously strong...that is a bit different for medical experts to administer wouldnt you say?

not really, it's what they are trained to do. Some physicians don't like ti use it, some are fine with giving it out. Just like every medical practice there are supporters and detractors. If it's not illegal or banned who cares??

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Now we know the secret of the famed "Red Sox Shoulder Program".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

not really, it's what they are trained to do. Some physicians don't like ti use it, some are fine with giving it out. Just like every medical practice there are supporters and detractors. If it's not illegal or banned who cares??

A problem, IMO, may be that the "team" doctor is not acting in the best interest of the player, but rather in the best interest of the team.  I honestly don't know, but it seems there may be some conflict of interest there.  IMO, the player should seek a second opinion from a doctor not affiliated with the team before receiving risky treatment.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Not just RS many teams use this pain medication. Want to play 162 games + ST + playoffs [if fortunate] anyone of us would probably need a shot. One of the side affects is intestinal issues, But read a bottle of just about any medication and would be surprised of the posible side affects. Some are going to be affected, but many more won't or they wouldn't be able to prescribe.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

heat

stretch

ice

rest....

thats it

i do not have a history of overmedicating and undertreating my injuries - the sox medical team does

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

heat

stretch

ice

rest....

thats it

i do not have a history of overmedicating and undertreating my injuries - the sox medical team does

If you do not do as the dosasugars you are over medicating and probably under treating your injury. As you are hoping the drugs fix you. 

Then please show links to facts to s support your claim on the med staff!! Just because injuries didn't always comeout as hoped does not mean they did anything wrong. Just like any injury the results are different for every one even with the same rehab process.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Here's a couple of paragraphs and a link to read the rest of the article.From an ESPNBoston.com article:

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8935151/jonathan-papelbon-says-took-toradol-shots-boston-red-sox

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Former Boston Red Sox closer Jonathan Papelbon, who was with the team from 2005-11, said Saturday that he and numerous other Red Sox players were regularly injected with Toradol, a legal anti-inflammatory drug whose use has become increasingly controversial in sports.

Toradol is the nonsteroidal drug that Red Sox pitcher Clay Buchholz acknowledged last season might have contributed to the esophagitis that sidelined him for 20 games. Buchholz was hospitalized in intensive care and lost three or four pints of blood while dealing with the condition, which is a known side effect of the painkiller.

Papelbon said that when he was administered a physical by the Philadelphia Phillies prior to signing as a free agent after the 2011 season, doctors asked him if he used Toradol. When he answered in the affirmative, he was told that he would have to stop.

I always wonder about that.Iwas hopeing it wasn't true.I feel so bad right now. Hope i can get over this news and move on with my life..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

I believe that Toradol is simply the intravenous relative of Advil, or Ibuprofen as well as Aleve or Naprosyn-its a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). Its used in the emergency room for pain relief when patients cannot tolerate oral medications, such as when they come in with migraine headaches accompanied by nausea. At least thats the way one of my ER colleagues explained it to me. Why they would choose to inject it is a mystery when other oral NSAIDs could have been used. These are generally over the counter medications that have few side effects if properly used. I do not see what the big deal about using Toradol or any other NSAID for relief of musculoskeletal pain is. These are not drugs of abuse.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

heat

stretch

ice

rest....

thats it

If you do not do as the dosasugars you are over medicating and probably under treating your injury. As you are hoping the drugs fix you. 

Then please show links to facts to s support your claim on the med staff!! Just because injuries didn't always comeout as hoped does not mean they did anything wrong. Just like any injury the results are different for every one even with the same rehab process.

is this a real question? how many misdiagnosed Sox injuries have their been just in the past three years? Ellsbury? How did they miss half of his ribcage broken? Papi? that was quite a long seven games he was out wasnt it? Congrats this wins the idiotic post of the week...and the competition has been very tense considering the bootlicking frenzy caused by lester's contextual problems and clay's shaky mainfrae.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

heat

stretch

ice

rest....

thats it

is this a real question? how many misdiagnosed Sox injuries have their been just in the past three years? Ellsbury? How did they miss half of his ribcage broken? Papi? that was quite a long seven games he was out wasnt it? Congrats this wins the idiotic post of the week...and the competition has been very tense considering the bootlicking frenzy caused by lester's contextual problems and clay's shaky mainfrae.

What does any of that have to do with
    "overmedicating"?

17. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts