Papelbon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

Papelbon

The RS have made a huge plethara of mistakes, but at least they let Paps go. In a not very scrutinized move, he certainly did not deserve a $50 mil 5 year contract.
     The pressure now is being aggressive in the off seasoin. Once BV is fired, I really don't care how much they spend. Caution: spend wisely. I would love to pay huge to Cano and Swisher. Cano would have to play first and that may not be very attractive to him. Let Texas keep Hamilton. RS have a lot of money to get back in the race especially if they get Farrel(one year left on his contract) or another non retread manager which BV is.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Motown9009. Show Motown9009's posts

Re: Papelbon

I don't know if letting Papelbon go itself was a mistake. It was how they went about replacing him.

Papelbon can go because Bard seems to move from the set up man to the closer role. So Papelbon's gone. Only they decide now that the guy who's supposed to take over as closer is going to be a starter. So now they have to find a new closer and new set up man, and the trades they made for both haven't worked out at all.......the money to keep Papelbon was high, and it seemed neither side was interested in him coming back...but keeping him at least leads to some stability in the bullpen and they might still have Reddick instead of Bailey.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Bard should have been given an opportunity to replace Papelbon.  It would have been better than giving him the opportunity to be a starter.  If he wasn't successful as a closer, the Red Sox could have acquired someone else during the season. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

It was a major mistake and IMO led to this years staff falling apart. In 6 yrs here he averaged 38 saves.
    RS have 15 BS and Aceves has 8.
    Last year RS had 16 all year Paps had 3, Aceves had 3 and Bard had 5 Bard and Aceves were in 11 tries.

Letting him go blew up the best backend (8th and 9th) BP and middle relief man in MLB.
    Paps 250 Saves in 283 tries in 7 years.
    He is 31 and only Codero is younger. If he can average just 25 to 30 per year he will be 3rd on the list of all time saves. Right behind Hoffman and Mariano.

It was a BIG time bad non signing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It was a major mistake and IMO led to this years staff falling apart. In 6 yrs here he averaged 38 saves.
    Last year RS had 16 all year Paps had 3, Aceves had 3 and Bard had 5 Bard and Aceves were in 11 tries.

Letting him go blew up the best backend (8th and 9th) BP and middle relief man in MLB.
    He is 31 and only Codero is younger. If he can average just 25 to 30 per year he will be 3rd on the list of all time saves. Right behind Hoffman and Mariano.

I don't think that Papelbon wanted to resign with the Red Sox.  It was mentioned many times. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

You can't judge it on one year.  It's  a five year contract.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Right, letting Papelbon - who 95% of the people who post here have been trying to run out of town since 2009 -  walk was the mistake.

Had he been retained, no one would have gotten injured ever again.  He had that mystical healing aura that gets so little press...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

He wanted out....the ship was already taking on water by then

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Losing Papelbon rearranged the entire bullpen. A bullpen that was a great part of the team. It definitely had alot to do with 2012 IMO. Bard should have been the closer when he left. Aceves was fantastic for us as a reliever. When Papelbon left, the bullpen got, for whatever reason, completely reshuffled. Huge mistake. If it ain't broke...

Having said that, I believe Papelbon was tired of the abuse, and decided he'd rather play somewhere else where his every mistake -- however rare -- wouldn't mean he'd be beaten up for it. I believe that's something that needs to change in the Boston media. No one is going to want to play here if they feel they can be a great player, but if they don't perform how they are expected to, all hell will break lose. The Boston media seems to me to be detrimental to the Sox, and I can't help but wonder who's side they're on.

FTR, I don't believe they have anything negative to say about BV-- even with everything he's done. That speaks volumes to me. They really seem to have their targets, and they're never going to be "press friendly" ones.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to kimsaysthis's comment:

Losing Papelbon rearranged the entire bullpen. A bullpen that was a great part of the team. It definitely had alot to do with 2012 IMO. Bard should have been the closer when he left. Aceves was fantastic for us as a reliever. When Papelbon left, the bullpen got, for whatever reason, completely reshuffled. Huge mistake. If it ain't broke...

Having said that, I believe Papelbon was tired of the abuse, and decided he'd rather play somewhere else where his every mistake -- however rare -- wouldn't mean he'd be beaten up for it. I believe that's something that needs to change in the Boston media. No one is going to want to play here if they feel they can be a great player, but if they don't perform how they are expected to, all hell will break lose. The Boston media seems to me to be detrimental to the Sox, and I can't help but wonder who's side they're on.

FTR, I don't believe they have anything negative to say about BV-- even with everything he's done. That speaks volumes to me. They really seem to have their targets, and they're never going to be "press friendly" ones.

Kim,

So instead he chose to play in Philly? Not exactly South Beach...A city that once booed Santa? In the end, not sure that Papelbon's decision to leave had anything to do with the press. His chosing to sign with the Phillies was like jumping out of the pot and into the fire.

That said, I would agree that the media in Boston is infamous for fanning the flames of discontent. We the fans are inpart repsonsible for enabling them. . Because it is we the fans that the media is playing too, not unlike the Red Sox who depend on us to buy tickets and subscriptions to NESN in the interest of profits. The medias intent is also to sell news papers, to get us to tune into thier radio shows and watch them on TV. The higher the circulation and the ratings go, the cost of advertisment increases and with that profits...The more salacious the news, the more we eat it up! It's cyclical...

Chicken and beer in the clubhouse, was that news worthy? Francona admiting in public that he lost control of the clubhouse. Gonzalez espousing his religous faith stating that the sox failure to make the psotseason was gods plan, then being lambasted for it becasue it came off as an excuse. While offering another gem that part of the reason theteam ran out of gas was due to an unfair schedule. then we had the Beckett tirade about his right to chose what he does on his off days as being none of our buisness. Even though he has to miss a start due to injury, but was healthy enough to play 18?...Bobby Valentine calling out Youk in public, then getting called on the carpet by Pedrioa. All are examples of recent storylines that got traction becasue the players and coaches made them public knowledge and the press jumped on the bandwagon and we the fans eat it up. Where theres smoke, theres fire...

Then we have Daivid Ortiz who has now for the better part of three years. Tried to use the press to leverage his contract negotiations and many of the others including Papelbon who for more than 3 years openly used the press to speak to the fans and state his case for why he was chosing not to sign an extension. Trust me Papelbon and his agent both understood that by making his case public that it would influence who he was percieved by the fans and helped to grease the skids for his exit out of town...

In the end the team; to include the players, coaches and owners. All play a significant role in the access the press has and in the case of the chicken and beer controversy from last year. It gained traction not becasue some clubhouse kid "leeked it to the press". It gained traction because the players and coaches continued to fan the flames and gave it more weight. Than it should otherwise and in the end has proven to be a symptom of what is and was clearly a bigger problem. The omni present media that exists in Boston and many of the Northern most cities can be both a curse and a blessing. While some of the local guys live on the drama (Felger, Mazz & Shaunessey). Many others simply show up for work each day looking for a storyline. What is and is not leaked to the press is within the controls of those that are empoyed by the team. Who has access to the club is also controlled by the team and if as the organization and the players themselves want to change the current dynamics they collectively have the power to do so...My advice to all is stop whining and play ball...

My guess is that we the fans want only for the team and those that are privileged to wear the uniform to give thier all in the quest for victory. When we suspect that a player is not indeed giving his all, then we in full throat make our presence known. We the fans and the media both also have the right to question the effort and the preparedness of the team before during and after each game and season. when we suspect something is amiss, we also have the right to know what is being done to correct the problem. If we don't like the answers to the questions. Then we can then chose to spend our hard earned disposable income of which given the economy is less than many of us had before the crash elsewhere.
    I chose to be a fan of the Boston Red Sox. I root for the name on the front of the jersey and while I no longer live in the Northeast. I have for some 30 years paid to see my Sox play everytime they came to the city in which I live...that is until this year. The media played little or no role in that decision. I refuse to pay to see a team that quit on us and will not again spend my moneys until I see that the owners true to thier words will infact rebuild this team with players and coaches that are worthy of my hard earned dollars...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Paps blew 4 saves, lost 6 games, have ERA above 3.00 and Phillies are not going to the playoff this season.  I don't think he's worth all that money right at this moment.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Paps blew 4 saves, lost 6 games, have ERA above 3.00 and Phillies are not going to the playoff this season.  I don't think he's worth all that money right at this moment.

The blown save against (actually they were 4 runs up so not a save situation) against ATL brought back memories. I think I saw him look down at his jersey to see if it still said Red Sox.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I agree the Red Sox now have the money to overpay in the free agent market ... again.

Asking a team to spend wisely is akin to advising a gambler to gamble wisely ... it's not easy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kimsaysthis's comment:

Kim,

So instead he chose to play in Philly? Not exactly South Beach...A city that once booed Santa? In the end, not sure that Papelbon's decision to leave had anything to do with the press. His chosing to sign with the Phillies was like jumping out of the pot and into the fire.

That said, I would agree that the media in Boston is infamous for fanning the flames of discontent. We the fans are inpart repsonsible for enabling them. . Because it is we the fans that the media is playing too, not unlike the Red Sox who depend on us to buy tickets and subscriptions to NESN in the interest of profits. The medias intent is also to sell news papers, to get us to tune into thier radio shows and watch them on TV. The higher the circulation and the ratings go, the cost of advertisment increases and with that profits...The more salacious the news, the more we eat it up! It's cyclical...

Chicken and beer in the clubhouse, was that news worthy? Francona admiting in public that he lost control of the clubhouse. Gonzalez espousing his religous faith stating that the sox failure to make the psotseason was gods plan, then being lambasted for it becasue it came off as an excuse. While offering another gem that part of the reason theteam ran out of gas was due to an unfair schedule. then we had the Beckett tirade about his right to chose what he does on his off days as being none of our buisness. Even though he has to miss a start due to injury, but was healthy enough to play 18?...Bobby Valentine calling out Youk in public, then getting called on the carpet by Pedrioa. All are examples of recent storylines that got traction becasue the players and coaches made them public knowledge and the press jumped on the bandwagon and we the fans eat it up. Where theres smoke, theres fire...

Then we have Daivid Ortiz who has now for the better part of three years. Tried to use the press to leverage his contract negotiations and many of the others including Papelbon who for more than 3 years openly used the press to speak to the fans and state his case for why he was chosing not to sign an extension. Trust me Papelbon and his agent both understood that by making his case public that it would influence who he was percieved by the fans and helped to grease the skids for his exit out of town...

In the end the team; to include the players, coaches and owners. All play a significant role in the access the press has and in the case of the chicken and beer controversy from last year. It gained traction not becasue some clubhouse kid "leeked it to the press". It gained traction because the players and coaches continued to fan the flames and gave it more weight. Than it should otherwise and in the end has proven to be a symptom of what is and was clearly a bigger problem. The omni present media that exists in Boston and many of the Northern most cities can be both a curse and a blessing. While some of the local guys live on the drama (Felger, Mazz & Shaunessey). Many others simply show up for work each day looking for a storyline. What is and is not leaked to the press is within the controls of those that are empoyed by the team. Who has access to the club is also controlled by the team and if as the organization and the players themselves want to change the current dynamics they collectively have the power to do so...My advice to all is stop whining and play ball...

My guess is that we the fans want only for the team and those that are privileged to wear the uniform to give thier all in the quest for victory. When we suspect that a player is not indeed giving his all, then we in full throat make our presence known. We the fans and the media both also have the right to question the effort and the preparedness of the team before during and after each game and season. when we suspect something is amiss, we also have the right to know what is being done to correct the problem. If we don't like the answers to the questions. Then we can then chose to spend our hard earned disposable income of which given the economy is less than many of us had before the crash elsewhere.
    I chose to be a fan of the Boston Red Sox. I root for the name on the front of the jersey and while I no longer live in the Northeast. I have for some 30 years paid to see my Sox play everytime they came to the city in which I live...that is until this year. The media played little or no role in that decision. I refuse to pay to see a team that quit on us and will not again spend my moneys until I see that the owners true to thier words will infact rebuild this team with players and coaches that are worthy of my hard earned dollars...

[/QUOTE]

Hey Bean. Granted I don't know Philly, but it can't be worse. There was also the draw of playing with what would appear to be the best pitching staff in baseball. I don't know how that didn't work out. Also, Cliff Lee, who had the world at his feet and could have went anywhere -- for more money even -- just wanted to go back there even after they gave him away. That's at least interesting.

As for the media, I don't believe creating articles bashing your favorite team is a draw. I  just don't. I don't like to read crap about my team. Didn't some of them start out in NY? I mean Shaunessey (sp?) clearly doesn't like this team, no matter how they're doing. And seems to get enjoyment out of bashing them over and over. And I agree that this site shouldn't have the whole collapse of 2011 still on their front page, and beer and chicken was the only thing they could come up with for a team collapse? Ridiculous.

FTR I never thought of golf as a sport.  I don't think it's comparable to pitching in a major league baseball game. And I'm not religious, but I believe Adrian is entitled to his beliefs. He may even believe they got him where his is today - one of the best players in baseball. It's ridiculous that they blew up that one comment. People were annoyed they looked so happy on the plane, and I was happy for them.

As for Valentine, with him everything needs to be public. He's a sports announcer at heart, and it doesn't make for a great baseball manager. Some things should be handled privately. But revealing everything to the press, makes him press-friendly, and that's why he'll never get negative press. He's willing to compromise the team and berate the players to keep his press connection in tact. It's not the players and the coaches, but it's portrayed that way because the manager is a media darling. And it's players he doesn't like anyway. This guy has gotten rid of every player that he had problems with and was able to make it appear that they were the problem. Who's next?

Sections
Shortcuts