Papi looks fat,slow and unmotivated

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Papi looks fat,slow and unmotivated

Geo's act just isnt entertaining anymore.

This is by far one of the top threads for asininity since Ive been here.

And yes, I just wasted 60 sec of my life posting this...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i dont know maybe a 2/27 spring training, gaining about twenty pounds and being more concerned about extending the contract than getting game ready?  does that scream motivation to you?

[/QUOTE]

Have we not seen that from David Ortiz in the past>?  how did that work out for us?

has he  or the team stated he gained 20 pounds over last season?

what did he look like when he gathered the team around him in the dugout during the WS game?  and then put them on his back?

answering reporter questions about his contract leads you to believe he is "more concerned" than getting ready?

would it not be wiser to wait until he has an 0-fer game to start this thread?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

They gave in to his  needs and now his motivation is gone.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Another desperate whiner appears...

We missed you during the playoffs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Man, the need for attention by some here is just jaw-dropping.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

i dont know maybe a 2/27 spring training, gaining about twenty pounds and being more concerned about extending the contract than getting game ready?  does that scream motivation to you?

And you say this based on what? His stats in spring training? Or because he only had one hit on the first day of the season?

Wow, I see ADG is here this morning, too. It only took one loss for the petulant children of the forum to pop back up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How did that work out every other year Papi has worn a Boston uniform?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

I still can't stop laughing about the predictions for Papi this time last year.... go ahead, bring on the Papi hate... regardless of what he does this year, and the fact he is signed again I'm going to sit back and enjoy the ride....

Carry on bashers ;-)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

He had a miserable spring not hitting and complaining - and looked like he's been on the Josh Beckett workout plan....karma

[/QUOTE]

Karma?  I don't believe in karma, gods, luck, spring training results, microscopic sample sizes, etc. although I do believe in confirmation bias. On the other hand, Easter is just around the corner and we all know who'll be hop, hop, hopping along with basketful of good karma for  World Series MVP David Ortiz.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Pretty funny that when i mentioned the last two years that papi looked fit and ready to play that was accepted by the board...I'm simply telling you what I see - this doesnt mean that this is the way its going to be all year and based on his history, it wont...

dont believe in Karma? fools'

ask beckett, s drew, roidger, barry bonds, mcguire, etc....what goes around comes around...space you of all people should acknolwedge this

[/QUOTE]

Slasher had a good question.

How can you tell the difference between "unmotivated" and "ready to play", from watching TV?

[/QUOTE]

and one game?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

well given the OP'er...i guess unlike Slash's Lester OP, this one won't be accompanied by <sarc> Sealed....on Day 1 geo???Surprised

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The FO caved in to his needs last season and he got a 2 year contract but somehow he managed to keep motivated right through the World Series.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yeah, Papi did great and played his whole career just to get to this point where he can now coast while colelcting big paychecks. Makes a lot of sense, right?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Baseball season has officially begun with geo's first whining thread. Laughing

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I can hear spaceman in October when Ortiz has 24 homers, claiming he really should have 30 (citing todays as one of those really a home-run)

[/QUOTE]

Really, you can hear that?  that where I was going with my post?  No, my post was merely to point out that if someone's take-away after game 1, in which the player in question has a nifty two-strike hit and a mammoth flyout that would have been out had it not been hit into the wind, is fat, slow, unmotivated is either very poor babseball analysis or complete obliviousness.  I know Georom watches with an agenda, so, its all good.  I won't make excuses for Papi if he has a sub-par year.  But I am sure yourself and georom will be making excuses if he has another good year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Pretty funny that when i mentioned the last two years that papi looked fit and ready to play that was accepted by the board...I'm simply telling you what I see - this doesnt mean that this is the way its going to be all year and based on his history, it wont...

ask beckett, s drew, roidger, barry bonds, mcguire, etc....what goes around comes around...space you of all people should acknolwedge this

[/QUOTE]

Slasher had a good question.

How can you tell the difference between "unmotivated" and "ready to play", from watching TV?

[/QUOTE]

and one game?

[/QUOTE]

... in which he had a nifty two strike hit and a moonshot into the wind ...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And you say this based on what? His stats in spring training? Or because he only had one hit on the first day of the season?

Wow, I see ADG is here this morning, too. It only took one loss for the petulant children of the forum to pop back up.

[/QUOTE]

They picked the perfect day to reappear.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I acknowledge what is evident.  But, he doesn't look 20 pounds heavier to me.  So, there is that.  Looks like last year to me fitness-wise.  I also don't factor in ST results for Papi, as this is, based on actual results of ST vs. regular season for Papi every single year, plain stupid.  And, I get that you are in the camp to beat up Papi over his little spate of contract whining.  I certainly acknowledge that this was unbecoming behavior.  But, not  karma-shifting.  If there was any karm-shifting going on, it was when the FO ponied up to keep the greatest Sox legend not named Williams in a Sox uni for the rest of his career.  That solidified the good mojo for the organization.  Bonds?  McGuire?  Stephen Drew?  What?  You are so intent on trashing the big man you can't even keep a straight line of attack when you bring up comparison studies.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

And BILL-806 gets kicked to the curb for raising the opinion of truth !!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

pathetic post by Geo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You have to give credit to Geo.  No one jumps off and on the RS bandwwagon as quick as he does.

[/QUOTE]

ADG wanted to DFA the whole team after one opener.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

pathetic post by Geo

[/QUOTE]

Not as pathetic as leading the charge that "Papi was through" several years ago.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to croc's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

pathetic post by Geo

[/QUOTE]

Not as pathetic as leading the charge that "Papi was through" several years ago.

[/QUOTE]

Though in fairness, at least that annoying charge was based on the quality of Papi's hitting, which looked (relatively) poor in 2009 and 10.  His bat was slow, he was getting beat with heat, and pedestrian hurlers had his number.  Statistically he was in a nose dive.  Of course, Papi's rennaisance only amplified the pathetic idiocy of all the blustery amateur judgement Georom throws around.  But, at least that was based on some actual evidence.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to croc's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

pathetic post by Geo

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Though in fairness, at least that annoying charge was based on the quality of Papi's hitting, which looked (relatively) poor in 2009 and 10.  His bat was slow, he was getting beat with heat, and pedestrian hurlers had his number.  Statistically he was in a nose dive.  Of course, Papi's rennaisance only amplified the pathetic idiocy of all the blustery amateur judgement Georom throws around.  But, at least that was based on some actual evidence.  

[/QUOTE]

Actually, the "poor" 2009 and 2010 is often overstated. He had two bad months in 2009 coming off the wrist injury then for the next 10 months over two seasons, he batted .270 -- .270 the final four months of 2009 and .270 for 2010, which included the bad April and in retrospect was just that, a slow start. Overall, he was pretty consistent.

His power stats and run production during those 10 months were just fine, and he was crushing right-handers. His biggest problem during those 10 months was simply his approach against left-handers. He was trying to pull them, which made his bat look slow. So his average against lefties was down from his career average, which drove down is overall average, but his hitting against right-handers was pretty much the same.

In 2011 when he changed his approach against left-handers, his average has gone up since then but his production against RH stayed about the same. He simply started hitting left-handers again like he used to.

Sections
Shortcuts