Papi signs for 14 million

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from boissroy. Show boissroy's posts

Papi signs for 14 million

Papi avoided a big mess with a 14.6 million dollar 1 year deal.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Papi signs for 14 million

overpriced....him and beckett will cost us 30 million....i hope they are worth it...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

That's a nice chunk of change.  I hope it pays off.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Good to see Papi agree to this.  Hopefully, he will have another good year.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stodknocker. Show stodknocker's posts

Wow, another Papi re-signs thread......3rd one today....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

He doesn't fit with the team anymore. Can't play the field and can't hit like he use to. He needs to go to a station to station team, we're not that type a of team anymore.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Papi signs for 14 million:
    [QUOTE]He doesn't fit with the team anymore. Can't play the field and can't hit like he use to. He needs to go to a station to station team, we're not that type a of team anymore.  
    Posted by proftom2[/QUOTE]

He had his highest OPS since like 2007 last year.  So, yes, he actually can hit like he used to.  And, while the Sox are certainly not the type of offense they were in, say, 2004, they ain't exactly Run Manufacturers.  I don't see at all how he does not fit in this offense.  I could see how next year it might be more important to keep the DH open for a more modern revolving-DH kind of system.  But, for 2012, I cannot see how a guy who goes .309/.398/.953 would be a bad fit in the middle of the line-up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Papi signs for 14 million : He had his highest OPS since like 2007 last year.  So, yes, he actually can hit like he used to.  And, while the Sox are certainly not the type of offense they were in, say, 2004, they ain't exactly Run Manufacturers.  I don't see at all how he does not fit in this offense.  I could see how next year it might be more important to keep the DH open for a more modern revolving-DH kind of system.  But, for 2012, I cannot see how a guy who goes .309/.398/.953 would be a bad fit in the middle of the line-up.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

No kidding.Great points. It's ridiculous to think the Sox would be better off with a lesser bat, just because the guy might play the field.

Now if you think Ortiz will fall off dramatically because of his age, that's a reasonable concern. But to say that the Sox don't need him even if he puts up numbers like he did last year, that's just plain stupidity.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Napoli signed with Rangers last week for 9.4 million - one year deal. He started 57 games at catcher, 27 at 1st base and 18 DH. He is only 30 too. Had numbers similar or greater to Papi.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Papi signs for 14 million:
    [QUOTE]Papi avoided a big mess with a 14.6 million dollar 1 year deal.
    Posted by boissroy[/QUOTE]

Glad to see that they avoided a hearing, which IMO would have been a bad situation for Papi even if he had won.

It's a bit of an overpay, but I don't mind it for a player like Papi, and I don't mind it when it's only for one year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]I thought it was a good move I'm just not sure if it was good enough to deserve 4 threads on it
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

I think we need to start a thread about Ben's perfect record in avoiding arb hearings.   ;-)

Theo taught him well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i cant believe we decided to keep this guy and then agreed to pay him 14 mil....he is not that good - certainly not at this point...we def could have moved on without him and had youk/agon, lava rotate the dh position

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Papi is a Sox icon. Best not to have an arbitration hearing with the resulting hard feelings. At this point, it seems that he can still hit.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]He doesn't fit with the team anymore. Can't play the field and can't hit like he use to. He needs to go to a station to station team, we're not that type a of team anymore.  
    Posted by proftom2[/QUOTE]

I don't care if Papi can't hit ( like he use too )???? As long as he hits like he did last year.Why don't you go Station to station, like Kenmore station , hop the train and get out of town.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

[QUOTE]Papi is a Sox icon. Best not to have an arbitration hearing with the resulting hard feelings. At this point, it seems that he can still hit.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

If Papi went to Arbitration hearing, heads would have rolled...Arbs can bring up past dirt on players and Papi would take it very personally...but look at it this way, he had a OPS of .953 which is close to Prince Fielder OPS of .981 - for 2011. Look at it that way Big Papi is a bargain...

Agree Papi is a Sox Icon and glad to have him...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

This is good news.  A win-win compromise for RS and Papi.   Nice job.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]i cant believe we decided to keep this guy and then agreed to pay him 14 mil....he is not that good - certainly not at this point...we def could have moved on without him and had youk/agon, lava rotate the dh position
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Again, .309/.398/.953.  Not sure what else needs to be said.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pike2. Show Pike2's posts

Georom is Gerry Callahan fooling around on BDC. Don't let him bait you.