Papi's Last Year with the Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Papi's Last Year with the Red Sox

Enjoy the 2012 season with David Ortiz. It will be his last with the Red Sox. There were many mistakes made in this process, the first being offering him arbitration.

Given that they reached an agreement, but only on a 1 year deal is a clear sign that this will be his last. The Red Sox handcuffed themselves by offering arbitration. If they hadn't, they could have gotten Ortiz for something in the $8M range.

It's great that they are paying a DH only player close to $15M.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Re: Papi's Last Year with the Red Sox

Or else he'd be a Yankee.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Papi's Last Year with the Red Sox:
    [QUOTE]It should technically be his last year.  His last productive year was 07.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

Wrong.  He was one of the ten most productive hitters in baseball last year.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

A rare breed of a beagle appeared in the Westminister Dog Show this year. Ladies and Gentlemen, this is a JackBU breed in the Terrier Group. They were bred in southern Kentucky and their specialty in hunting for Big Papi threads. I present JackBU #68.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]I would not call one homer in sept being productive.  He was productive against the bad teams and not against the rays or the yankees in the second half.  We need someone who can be productive against the good teams and all the time, especially the teams in our division.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

A-Gon hit .183 against the Yankees and .131 against the Rays.  Where are all your threads about A-Gon?

BTW the Rays pitchers owned us in general last year.  I doubt we had too many guys with good numbers against them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]It should technically be his last year.  His last productive year was 07.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

Are you serious? I'd hate to work for you. Get a clue.
    Over the last four years, he's averaged 28 HRs and 97 RBIs, despite not having Manny in the line-up to protect him. last year he had his hightest OBP and OPS since 2007, despite only getting 78 BBs (in 2007 he walked 111 times). And he's made the AS team twice in those 4 years.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]break down the homers and tell me who they were against and against which pitchers.  Tell me how many of his homers actually  made a difference in the outcome of the game. a lot of his homers came when the sox were either up or down by several or more runs, thus eliminating pressure. no problem, the ortiz lovers are having their day and will be on a fourn roll until opening day.  I will have may day the first time he goes 2 for 20.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

I am sure you will be dancing a jig.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]break down the homers and tell me who they were against and against which pitchers.  Tell me how many of his homers actually  made a difference in the outcome of the game. a lot of his homers came when the sox were either up or down by several or more runs, thus eliminating pressure. no problem, the ortiz lovers are having their day and will be on a fourn roll until opening day.  I will have may day the first time he goes 2 for 20.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

You didn't answer the question about A-Gon's numbers.  Why are you all over Ortiz and not A-Gon? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

With Red Sox fans like JackBU who needs irritating Yankee or TB fans?

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Hey jack, did you know that the Sox scored 57 runs in 18 games against the Rays last year?  That's about 3 per game.  Ever occur to you that Ortiz had lots of company not doing much against them?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Papi's Last Year with the Red Sox : who needs fans like you who think 04 and 07 happened last week.  Keep your head in the sand, the sox are going nowhere again with bog sloppy.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

BIG SLOPPY, LOL, Ha-Ha, Big Sloppy, AWESOME

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm glad it's only 1 year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

moon - Completely agree. I'm guessing they were negotiating for two, but since they couldn't come up with an agreeable amount, that's enough to make this year his last.  Let him test the free agent market WITHOUT arbitration.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

2012 will be an indication of what Ortiz's value is going forward.  I personally don't think he is going to be worth the $14 million.  But I'd hate to see him in a Yankee uniform hitting a home run that knocks the Red Sox out of the race.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

You gotta love fans who would rather be right than see the team do well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

What value do you put on a first-round draft pick?  You don't get that without offering arbitration.  What happens if Ortiz puts up even bigger numbers in 2012?  You let him walk away without offering arb again?  IMO, he should have been given a 3-year deal with a team buyout.  He would have felt more "respected" and we would have cleared $5M under the CBT.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from howzer. Show howzer's posts

Am I the only person on the planet who would have preferred them to go to arbitration?  I fear that Papi already feels disrespected because the time it took and the one-year deal he received, and will thus be the mopey player he has been in the past when he feels disrespected.  Since Arbitration contracts aren't guaranteed, the Sox would have had the flexibility to cut him if his attitude or performance becomes an issue this season. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts