Papi's Last Year with the Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

Re: Papi's Last Year with the Red Sox

In Response to Re: Papi's Last Year with the Red Sox:
    [QUOTE]I would not call one homer in sept being productive.  He was productive against the bad teams and not against the rays or the yankees in the second half.  We need someone who can be productive against the good teams and all the time, especially the teams in our division.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

Wow, I'm not one to get annoyed or angry at people on here (I'm used to seeing some pretty silly posts), but you take the cake. What an ignorant, uninformed, slanderous opinion. How about some real analysis?

Last year, Ortiz hit .328/.401/.557 against teams under .500, and .290/.396/.551 against teams over .500, a negligible difference, and he put up 17 of his 29 homers against the latter teams. In 2010, he was .246/.361/.523 against under .500, and .285/.373/.533 against over .500 teams, and he drove in a whopping 66 runs against the latter group. He's actually been better the past two years against good teams than bad teams!

Meanwhile, here are his numbers against the Yankees and Rays the past two years:
    Yankees '11: .282/.378/.577
    Yankees '10: .300/.377/.433
    Rays '11: .180/.288/.260
    Rays '10: .351/.507/.789(!)

You're going to crucify him because he had a bad year against the Rays for one season (after murdering them the previous season) and because he had a slow September in which he still had a .396 OBP???

Can't hit against the Yankees and Rays? The past two years total his line against them is .282/.393/.525, and if you projected his counting numbers against them for a full season he would have 77 runs, 115 rbis, 51 2Bs, 31 HRs, and 112 BBs to go with 120 Ks. Those are the numbers of an All-Star and lesser MVP candidate.

Isn't productive against the division? Again, over the past two years his line against the division is .271/.382/.506, with a full season projection of 89 runs, 105 rbis, 45 2Bs, 31 HRs, and 108 BBs with 124 Ks. Again, that's an All-Star DH, which is what Ortiz is. Interestingly, his worst single season performance against a division opponent these past two years (other than last year against the Rays) was against the 2010 Orioles, and even then he put up some strong power numbers against them.

Grow up. Start using your brain. Or take your foolishness somewhere else.
    Meanwhile, I'll take Ortiz all the way to the bank AND a championship (assuming the rest of the team keeps up with him).

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Am I the only person on the planet who would have preferred them to go to arbitration?  I fear that Papi already feels disrespected because the time it took and the one-year deal he received, and will thus be the mopey player he has been in the past when he feels disrespected.  Since Arbitration contracts aren't guaranteed, the Sox would have had the flexibility to cut him if his attitude or performance becomes an issue this season. 
    Posted by howzer[/QUOTE]

Yes, but you can only cut them in spring training and it has to be for baseball reasons...it would only lead to a major dispute with the Players Union and a PR nightmare.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomasmtom. Show Thomasmtom's posts

Given the fact that Ortiz's contract option was picked up last year, when negotiating a 2 year + option contract at a lower cost would have been much easier. The Red Sox made the only move they could make. Replacing's a hitter of Ortiz's caliber through free agency would have required a much longer commitment than one year. Trading for a player who could DH and play in the field would have cost the Sox at least a couple of prospects. Rotating the DH role amongst current players on the Roster, or giving the job to Lavarnway wasn't a good option. Lavarnway needs work as a catcher, not a DH and the bench player replacing the resting position player who's DHing would never put up Ortiz's numbers. Ortiz's signing made sense given the alternatives.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

This knock about DH-only is utterly ridiculous. The reason not many teams are signing those types of players is because there aren't many out there.

For a guy like Ortiz, his salary is all about the numbers he puts up -- 30 homers, 100 RBIs, 900-plus OPS. It doesn't matter what position is next to him after his name in the lineup card.

The reason there's reluctance to go more than one year at a time now is because of his age, not because he's DH-only. If he was 26 instead of 36, he'd have a four- or five-year deal.

If you have nine players who are going to play every day and the DH spot is being rotated with guys who put numbers no better than 20 HR, 80 RBIs, 800 OPS, then fine, rotate the DH. But if you can replace one of those guys with a DH-only type who is hitting 30-plus homers with 100-plus RBIs and a .925-plus OPS, it's a no-brainer.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

[QUOTE]It should technically be his last year.  His last productive year was 07.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]
    Hmm, including 2008 season Ortiz has hit 112 HR and driven in 386 runs since 2007.

Do you even watch baseball ?
    Or are you too busy playing nintendo and slapping your monkey down in Mom's basement ?

When did this website get flooded with trolls, immature idiots and softlaw clones, anyway ?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]It should technically be his last year.  His last productive year was 07.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

Last productive year was...............2011........DUH!!!!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Papi's Last Year with the Red Sox:
    [QUOTE]Enjoy the 2012 season with David Ortiz. It will be his last with the Red Sox. There were many mistakes made in this process, the first being offering him arbitration. Given that they reached an agreement, but only on a 1 year deal is a clear sign that this will be his last. The Red Sox handcuffed themselves by offering arbitration. If they hadn't, they could have gotten Ortiz for something in the $8M range. It's great that they are paying a DH only player close to $15M.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

309-----29-----96----84= 15 MIL   worth every penny

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i think you papi boosters might be in for a disappointing year...14 mil is a lot of money for a guy who no longer dominates games and disappears for long stretches...and who cant play the field...we should have let jim walk and saved that cash to sign oswalt and another bat

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]break down the homers and tell me who they were against and against which pitchers.  Tell me how many of his homers actually  made a difference in the outcome of the game. a lot of his homers came when the sox were either up or down by several or more runs, thus eliminating pressure. no problem, the ortiz lovers are having their day and will be on a fourn roll until opening day.  I will have may day the first time he goes 2 for 20.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]
    Is he not allowed to struggle? If he is a 300 hitter he is going to have his cold streaks, and his hot streaks. To jump on him the minute he struggles doesn't make you right, it makes you foolish. If he bat 230/10/50 then yes you will have you day but not if he goes 2 for 20.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Papi's Last Year with the Red Sox": You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts. Of course I want the team to do well, but they will not do well with Ortiz. The whole month of sept was playoff atmosphere and he choked. The last time the sox made the playoffs, sloppy went 1 for 13. I guess the pink hat Ortiz lovers need a Mack truck to hit them. Even they they won't take the time to break down the stats.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]
    You post while ignoring redsoxu?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Papi's Last Year with the Red Sox": [QUOTE]i think you papi boosters might be in for a disappointing year...14 mil is a lot of money for a guy who no longer dominates games and disappears for long stretches...and who cant play the field...we should have let jim walk and saved that cash to sign oswalt and another bat Posted by georom4[/QUOTE] One could argue that David Ortiz was paid under market value during a good portion of his Sox career. If they didn't offer arbitration, there's a good chance he would be killing us in pinstripes this season, which would have been disgusting after all he has done for this organization on and off the field. By the way, not sure if you follow sports much, but at this point, it sounds like pitching in Boston is a notch below never pitching again for Oswalt...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]i think you papi boosters might be in for a disappointing year...14 mil is a lot of money for a guy who no longer dominates games and disappears for long stretches...and who cant play the field...we should have let jim walk and saved that cash to sign oswalt and another bat
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

papi boosters?  I will always boost a guy on my team who was the 8th best hitter in baseball the year before no matter who he is...I think I'm just a good hitter booster. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Papi's Last Year with the Red Sox : papi boosters?  I will always boost a guy on my team who was the 8th best hitter in baseball the year before no matter who he is...I think I'm just a good hitter booster. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

he was good last yr...but i dont care what the stats say, he was not even in the top 20 hitters in the american league...those stats are meaningless...as september proved.....14 mil for a 37 yr old one dimensional player who is more concerned with his own stats than the team's success is not my idea of a great signing...but dont let that stop your bootlicking...i realize it has been a very tough year for the APOLOGISTS

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Papi's Last Year with the Red Sox : he was good last yr...but i dont care what the stats say, he was not even in the top 20 hitters in the american league...those stats are meaningless...as september proved.....14 mil for a 37 yr old one dimensional player who is more concerned with his own stats than the team's success is not my idea of a great signing...but dont let that stop your bootlicking...i realize it has been a very tough year for the APOLOGISTS

His stats are not meaningless geo, forget it with that.  Not even in the top 20 hitter in the league?  That's just ridiculous.  You can't even be interested in a serious discussion to make a comment like that.

If our pitchers hadn't pitched to a 6 ERA last September we would have made the playoffs easily. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Papi's Last Year with the Red Sox": You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts. Of course I want the team to do well, but they will not do well with Ortiz. The whole month of sept was playoff atmosphere and he choked. The last time the sox made the playoffs, sloppy went 1 for 13. I guess the pink hat Ortiz lovers need a Mack truck to hit them. Even they they won't take the time to break down the stats.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

Oops, now you've annoyed me even more.

"Even they they won't take the time to break down the stats." There's no "breakdown" in citing that Ortiz went 1-13 in a three game series.

Want a breakdown? Try this...coming off an injury-filled second half in 2008, Ortiz went into 2009 with reduced bat speed and a still-partially-injured wrist. He had his worst full season as a Red Sox player, .238/.332/.462, and then he was beaten in three games by good pitchers. He wasn't healthy, and still had a poor approach at the plate given his lost bat speed.

In the two years since getting healthy and reinventing himself, Ortiz has hit a lump .290/.384/.542...All Star production. It's not his fault the team hasn't given him a chance to make up for his poor series in 2008. Before that series, he put up a total of .296/.415/.567 in the playoffs for the Red Sox...fantastic numbers.

"The whole month of sept was playoff atmosphere and he choked." As I already said, and you apparently ignored, Ortiz had a .396 OBP in September last year. If you think that's a "chock" job, you are, quite frankly, and idiot.

jackbu, clearly you were one of those fools who jumped all over Ortiz in the first two months of 2009 for being "done" (when what he needed to do was adjust his batting approach to make up for lost bat-speed, which he succeeded at), and then were ALL OVER HIM in the first month of 2010 when he had a slow start (due to feeling healthy and trying to hit like he did in his prime, instead of using his new 2008 approach). There was no guarantee that Ortiz would rebound as he has, but everyone who was SURE he was done in either of those cases has been proven woefully wrong...and yet, here you are, moaning some more. Go away, play a video game or a card game or some other static item that never involves human ups and downs.

P.S. If you didn't notice, Ortiz completely reinvented his approach against left-handed pitching last year, aiming for contact over power, and was met with massive success. Why do you continue to doubt a hitter who, so many times, has shown the ability to adjust and become better?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Papi's Last Year with the Red Sox : His stats are not meaningless geo, forget it with that.  Not even in the top 20 hitter in the league?  That's just ridiculous.  You can't even be interested in a serious discussion to make a comment like that. If our pitchers hadn't pitched to a 6 ERA last September we would have made the playoffs easily. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

top 8? cmon...i can think of 8 guys on the yankees and red sox who i would put up at the plate before ortiz at this point of his career....he is not worth 14 million...that salary is a sin for a team supposedly concerned with the luxury tax...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Papi's Last Year with the Red Sox : he was good last yr...but i dont care what the stats say, he was not even in the top 20 hitters in the american league...those stats are meaningless...as september proved.....14 mil for a 37 yr old one dimensional player who is more concerned with his own stats than the team's success is not my idea of a great signing...but dont let that stop your bootlicking...i realize it has been a very tough year for the APOLOGISTS

You seem to be the one "apologizing" for Ortiz having such a terrific year. Did it upset you that he didn't go down in flames like you wanted?

Also, look up the word "prove" in the dictionary, and then "apologize" to all of us for your not knowing how to use it properly.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Papi's Last Year with the Red Sox : top 8? cmon...i can think of 8 guys on the yankees and red sox who i would put up at the plate before ortiz at this point of his career....he is not worth 14 million...that salary is a sin for a team supposedly concerned with the luxury tax...

I suppose you'd take Alex Avila, Paul Konerko, Justin Upton, and Adrian Beltre at the plate on your team before Ortiz? Go ahead...and my team will beat your team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i dont recall ortiz coming through in many clutch situations last yr..a lot of garbage time rbis....i thought he was worth resigning but not for 14mil.  i think many of you are seriously deluding yourselves if you think this is a good signing...this might be as bad as becketts 17 million...not the direction i expected the team to go in after the veterans let them down in september...papi was one of the biggest crybabies in 2011. either way you look at it, it is his last year unless he takes a serious pay cut in 2013

i wish we would have let him walk and did DH by committee with lava, youk, agon...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i would take pedroia, ells, agon, cano, tex, grandy,and a crippled youk/arod before Papi...

thats eight right there...

pujols? fielder? howard?

im not the one who said he was a top 8 hitter in mlb...just silly

he is not bad for a one-dimensional player at 37...thats about it...he is getting a golden goodbye kiss from Ben/JHenry thats for sure

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm glad we have Papi in our line-up. I can't imagine it without him. I am hoping one thing returns: 

his walk-off hits.