Papi's world is crumbling

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

Re: Papi's world is crumbling

In Response to Re: Papi's world is crumbling:
    The real question is, is he HOF bound?
    Posted by Alibiike

The next 3 or 4 years will determine that IMO.
    I think his career numbers now are better than Edgar Martinez and he's getting serious consideration.  3 or 4 decent years and Papi is in the 450-500 HRs, ~1600 RBIs, those numbers would make him a HOF candidate for sure.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

IN TALKING WITH DAD .......... "SON, LOOK FOR BIG POPEYE TO LAND IN BALTIMORE....THAT PARK & DAN DUQUETTE'S 1ST ATTACK AGAINST THE SHOWTIME OWNERSHIP" !!!!

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Spaceman. Ortiz is still unemployed. If he had such a great season, why hasn't anyone picked him up? Probably because he had one homer in September and only several extra base hits. The fact that he did not hit against the rays the whole season, and the second half could not hit against the yankees, would be another.
    Posted by jackbu

Good points jackbu, and certainly factors in his current limbo status.  Despite these factors, he still had a strong year and will certainly be employed somewhere, if not Boston.  The factors you point to, along with his age, and the fact that the full-time DH is pretty much a thing of the past, are the reason he will not get the contract he wants, and is thus temporarily unemployed.  I wouldn't disagree with you that his value is not what he and his camp think it should be.  

but someone, maybe the Red Sox, will surely be paying for his services next year.

As to your point about Bobby V. being willing and able to work some mix and match situation into the DH spot:  IF the Sox FO deems Ortiz valuable enough to sign the last remaining full-time DH in the game, I can pretty much guarantee they won't be wasting that money by platooning him, especially given the fact that he ripped lefty pitching last year.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: Papi's world is crumbling : don't forget Jay-Z is suing him too.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus
    Space, i think they may have settled....
    http://rapfix.mtv.com/2011/03/29/jay-z-and-david-ortiz-settle-their-4040-beef/

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Papi's world is crumbling : Space, i think they may have settled.... http://rapfix.mtv.com/2011/03/29/jay-z-and-david-ortiz-settle-their-4040-beef/
    Posted by jete02fan

Thanks Jete.  Whew, I was really sweating this one.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Ok thanks. If the sox sign him, it will be a repeat of this past season. Homers off bad teams and when the sox are ahead. In football terms, papi's homers are like down hill yards.
    Posted by jackbu

The beauty, though, of Papi's 2011 is that the dingers were not the sole form of production that he had provided for the previous 3 or so seasons prior.  A quick look at his OPS and his OBP show significant jumps from recent years.  If Papi was the one-dimensional hitter of the recent years prior to 2011, your point about the situational relevance might be of interest.  But, the pressure that David provided in the line-up this past season was different, a throw back to his peak years, if not in the HR department.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

The longer Ortiz and his agent wait around, the less likely he gets anything north of 10 mill and probably only that from the Sox and then only for one year.

With no other team seriously looking at him, he needs to ring up Cherrington and make some monetary proposals now while the Sox still have plenty of money to spend for next year.

The last couple of seasons have seen slightly more field-able players like Damon and Guerrero sign primarily as DHs for far less than David wants at this time.

He may be much better off financially accepting arbitration if the Sox offer it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanceWithMe71. Show DanceWithMe71's posts

Will Jackbu world crumble when if Ortiz goes? Who will he complain about then?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Understanding the market--one dimensional means less compensation.
    If a player can't live on $5 M what is going on? Realistically what is his true worth? I realize he's worth more to the Sox than anyone else but management is not paying for him being a local hero. At some time they have to sever ties--like Wake and Tek--there is a time to say, thanks, goodbye, good luck.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Papi's world is crumbling : The next 3 or 4 years will determine that IMO. I think his career numbers now are better than Edgar Martinez and he's getting serious consideration.  3 or 4 decent years and Papi is in the 450-500 HRs, ~1600 RBIs, those numbers would make him a HOF candidate for sure.
    Posted by greenwellforpresident

David Ortiz has been valued at 34.2 WAR* in his 15-year career while Edgar Martinez was valued at 67.2 WAR for his 18-year career:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/WAR_bat_career.shtml

Edgar Martinez is no lock for the Hall of Fame.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at Baseball Reference

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from saintJ. Show saintJ's posts

Once again spaceman, if papi had this great season you keep talking about, why is he still unemployed?
    Posted by jackbu

Has Albert Pujols signed yet?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

He is not the kind of guy to let adversity beat him. I highly doubt that this man's world would ever "crumble." The man will be a living legend much in the same way Larry Bird,Carl Yastrzemski and Bobby Orr are living legends.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

He is not equal or greater than any of those you list above. Ortiz is a Tier II Legend.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

So many people taking Jackbu seriously. He doesn't. It is his mission to start anti-Papi threads in this forum. Look at his history in case you have poor recall.  Jackbu is intent on being the equivalent on Andrewmitch on Drew or Softlaw on Jake. It provides great entertainment fo Jackbu to incite others and this is his niche. He is only too happy to fool most of the forum most of the time.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Spaceman. Ortiz is still unemployed. If he had such a great season, why hasn't anyone picked him up? Probably because he had one homer in September and only several extra base hits. The fact that he did not hit against the rays the whole season, and the second half could not hit against the yankees, would be another.
    Posted by jackbu

Dude,

You are absolutely blabbering now.

If Pujols and Fielder are so good, why are they still unemployed?  I knew those guys weren't any good.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Obviously he will use it, but as others have posted, the dh spot can be shared. Bobby seem like he might go for this idea. Ortiz will never burst into one of bobby's press conferences
    Posted by jackbu

1-Bobby is not the GM, so that's not his call.

2-Most of the AL managers have had NL experience.

3-Using a DH is not all that complicated.

4-Rotating players through the DH slot is equally not complicated.  Sign Beltran, play him in RF for 55 games against lefties, 107 games at DH.  Reddck plays the rest of the RF games, and Lavarnway takes the rest of the DH games.  See, I figured that one out without having managed in the NL.

5-Even if none of the above were true, how would managing in the NL teach you how to rotate through the DH slot?  The only way to learn that is to do it, and you can only do that in the AL.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Utica. Just in case you have not noticed, the sox season has been over for close to two months, and Ortiz still has not been signed. Obviously the sox share the same concerns as I do.
    Posted by jackbu

Pujols and Fielder haven't signed either.  Using your logic, no one wants them either.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Jackbu cannot admit that he is doing an anti-Papi vendetta. He never responds to the accusations. He has a fetish. Those who respond are feeding a troll. Don't take my word for it, look at his history or try to recollect. He is trolling. Ignore him.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

Papi needs to be here...  the park, the atmospher and the line up around him.

He slipped  when Manny left and  coincidence has his best season when pitchers have to pitch to Agon ?

As mentioned may all of our worlds crumble  by making 12 Million a year  for  6 months of playing the game we love -- where do I sign up,

Sections
Shortcuts