Paps made 12 million in 2011..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

Paps made 12 million in 2011..

Papelbon was making  12 Million a year and signs  for  4 years/50 million and a 5th year that will vest and take it to 60 million..

at 4 and 50 that 12.500.000.  He wasn't worth a 500K  raise to the Sox ??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Paps made 12 million in 2011..

In Response to Paps made 12 million in 2011..:
    [QUOTE]Papelbon was making  12 Million a year and signs  for  4 years/50 million and a 5th year that will vest and take it to 60 million.. at 4 and 50 that 12.500.000.  He wasn't worth a 500K  raise to the Sox ??
    Posted by jackyldo[/QUOTE]

Doubt it was about the salary bump.  my guess is thatt was the 4th year.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]Papelbon was making  12 Million a year and signs  for  4 years/50 million and a 5th year that will vest and take it to 60 million.. at 4 and 50 that 12.500.000.  He wasn't worth a 500K  raise to the Sox ??

It is a valid point and the dollars are actually a little short of what I though he would get, especially after the reported Madsen 4/44.  I thought Paps would get 13-14 per.

I also can see the logic in not committing 50 million to Papelbon because he is 31 when this contract begins and having watched him over the past 2-3 years, he seems to be showing signs of decline.  Bard is a guy who can step into the closers role at a fraction of the cost, which means if the Red Sox find a suitable 8th inning guy, they just got younger at the back end of the bullpen and saved 50 million that can be spent elsewhere.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

They just won't commit that long to a closer.  Clsoer are year to year, outside of Rivera, you can count on one hand closer that last.  Pap's is heading into that territory where he may break down.  Still would of paid him though. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IowaSoxFan. Show IowaSoxFan's posts

In reality this is a no brainer for the Sox.  Pap has been closing effectively for 4-5 years.  Giving him a 4 year contract would take that to close to 10 years of closing.  Look at some of the history with closers, and very few closers have been effective over that long of time frame.  I am not saying Pap won't be effective in four years, but the chance was not worth it when you look at the position. 

Not mentioned much is the draft pick.  The Sox will plug Bard in the closer spot at a fraction of the money - money they can spend in much needed areas.  And, the Sox will get an extra first round pick next year - an underrated advantage of this situation.

No question Bard will probably suffer some growing pains in this role.  But, if you look at his career he has shown the ability to recover from rough stretches and get himself on track.  A lot of things point to him being very effective.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Paps made 12 million in 2011..:
    [QUOTE]They just won't commit that long to a closer.  Clsoer are year to year, outside of Rivera, you can count on one hand closer that last.  Pap's is heading into that territory where he may break down.  Still would of paid him though. 
    Posted by schwank[/QUOTE]

So to recap..... Closers that last are extremely rare, Paps is nearing the end and you would have paid him?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lives2ski. Show lives2ski's posts

Did teh Red Sox even make an offer to Papelbon?  Or did the 4th year convince him that there was no point in waiting for a red Sox offer?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Paps made 12 million in 2011.. : Doubt it was about the salary bump.  my guess is thatt was the 4th year.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

True dat.  Three years should be enough for a closer whose gifts are diiminishing.  Papelbon is not the overpowering K king that he once was. Lots of long fly balls last season for the third out.  Gotta wonder at some point when those fly balls pick up an extra 10 or 15 feet and go out, like they did in 2010.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Paps made 12 million in 2011.. : True dat.  Three years should be enough for a closer whose gifts are diiminishing.  Papelbon is not the overpowering K king that he once was. Lots of long fly balls last season for the third out.  Gotta wonder at some point when those fly balls pick up an extra 10 or 15 feet and go out, like they did in 2010.
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

And how do you reconcile that to 2011 being his second-best season for K's per 9 and K's to BB's?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Paps made 12 million in 2011.. : And how do you reconcile that to 2011 being his second-best season for K's per 9 and K's to BB's?
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

A spike.  Dead cat bounce. There are the stats, and then there are the things I see with my own eyes.  I saw diminishing gifts - less power, poorer location. 

Just me.  Someone else may have seen it differently.  Like I said, i won't miss the drama. 2010 was enough for me, and it was a precursor of things to come. 

I could be wrong. 

We shall see, said the blind carpenter, as he picked up his hammer and saw.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinjin5000. Show sinjin5000's posts

you don't give a closer four years! period! the phillys will live to regrete that signing just like the RS have regreted so many of their stupid signings, maybe, just maybe the RS may be realizing that you can't buy a WS ring. 

build your team from within, just ask the ray's. it work's.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Here's wishing Bard has a super year as a closer in the AL East...