Part II: Tampa Bay Not Going Away

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Part II: Tampa Bay Not Going Away

Just an update on the Rays-the team many felt would not compete this year, even though they may have the best young starting staff in MLB.

Longoria has only 6 PAs thus far, and yet the Rays have the same winning percent as 2009-2010 combined.

Here's a look at some comparisons between 2010 and 2011 so far...

Joyce, Fuld, and Zobrist (and even Kotchman) are off to fast starts, but Dan Johnson has not improved on Pena's numbers at all.

Price    3-3  3.95
    Davis    3-2  2.73
    Shields  2-1 2.14
    Helksn  2-2  4.31
    Niemn  1-3   5.60

Farnsworth 1.00/0.778 WHIP
    Peralta         2.19/0.811
    Russell          2.53/1.500
    Cruz               2.70/0.900
    Sonnstn        2.35/0.913

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Part II: Tampa Bay Not Going Away

Neither are the O's.
    Tampa will be lucky to win 86 games.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pelosireturns. Show pelosireturns's posts

In Response to Re: Part II: Tampa Bay Not Going Away:
    [QUOTE]Neither are the O's . Tampa will be lucky to win 86 games.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]
    I'll take the Rays over the O's. They are a fun team to watch.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Either way, this division is tough. The WC team may have to settle for 90-91 wins.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

But are the Sox getting any closer?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pass-the-hubris-please. Show Pass-the-hubris-please's posts

Admittedly, the Rays are playing much better than I thought they would, especially without Evan Longoria.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Zorbist is a good player, - no reason he cannot hit 25 homers and driver in 100 (heck is nearly there already!)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think he's got 7/25 now!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Either way, this division is tough. The WC team may have to settle for 90-91 wins.
    If the season ended today, the Wild Card berth would come the American League West (which to-date has the best cumulative record of the three AL divisions).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I drafted him 7th on Yahoo last week and than after his mega-day some yahoo offered my Jaun Rivera for Zorbist in a trade....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from billsrul. Show billsrul's posts

I still believe the Rays will be in the hunt, BUT one month really proves nothing.  Any team can have a strong month or two months... we'll see where they are at in September....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I agree. It is early, but doing this well without Longoria is encouraging for their outlook.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

They didn't do so hot with Longoria earlier this year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pass-the-hubris-please. Show Pass-the-hubris-please's posts

[QUOTE]They didn't do so hot with Longoria earlier this year.

He has had six plate appearances...229031_confused2.gif

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Rays lost today. Rays will "go away", which is the threat author's way of not specifically defining what that means. The Rays will be all but eliminated from the playoffs by the math by the last two weeks of the season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]Rays lost today. Rays will "go away", which is the threat author's way of not specifically defining what that means. The Rays will be all but eliminated from the playoffs by the math by the last two weeks of the season.
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]

Now THAT'S a bold prediction!  "With two weeks to go the Rays will be close to being eliminated from the playoffs"....as will, of course, all the other teams close to making the playoffs. 

That's the sort of weasel-word BS claim that idiot Softlaw used to make...refusing to ever take a firm public view on anything while using language he could later use to take either side of any issue and claim he predicted the final result in advance....all the while patronising everyone i.e. assuming he was cleverer than those reading his posts. 

Do you remember that guy, GM?  What did you think of his posts?  You may not remember him as you started posting just after he stopped.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Part II: Tampa Bay Not Going Away : Now THAT'S a bold prediction!  "With two weeks to go the Rays will be close to being eliminated from the playoffs"....as will, of course, all the other teams close to making the playoffs.  That's the sort of weasel-word BS claim that idiot Softlaw used to make...refusing to ever take a firm public view on anything while using language he could later use to take either side of any issue and claim he predicted the final result in advance....all the while patronising everyone i.e. assuming he was cleverer than those reading his posts.  Do you remember that guy, GM?  What did you think of his posts?  You may not remember him as you started posting just after he stopped.
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars[/QUOTE]

LOL! Great post. Can't stop laughing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Rays lost today. Rays will "go away", which is the threat author's way of not specifically defining what that means. The Rays will be all but eliminated from the playoffs by the math by the last two weeks of the season.

How secific do you need? I said they'd win 90-92 games and be in the race to the end. I asked you to put a number of wins on their season ad got only "crickets".

Th wild card will probably be 91-94 wins, so yes, in my opinion they will be in it to the end.

See you (under another moniker) with 2 weeks to go.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

90 wins for the Rays but it would have been more if Longoria didn't get hurt. a great pitching staff can carry a team a long way. I still think the Orioles will finish last in the AL East. Even Toronto is better IMO. Will the young pitching of the Orioles hold up all year? Some will but some probably not.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Part II: Tampa Bay Not Going Away : Now THAT'S a bold prediction!  "With two weeks to go the Rays will be close to being eliminated from the playoffs"....as will, of course, all the other teams close to making the playoffs.  That's the sort of weasel-word BS claim that idiot Softlaw used to make...refusing to ever take a firm public view on anything while using language he could later use to take either side of any issue and claim he predicted the final result in advance....all the while patronising everyone i.e. assuming he was cleverer than those reading his posts.  Do you remember that guy, GM?  What did you think of his posts?  You may not remember him as you started posting just after he stopped.

You nailed it!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeyama99. Show joeyama99's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Part II: Tampa Bay Not Going Away : If the season ended today, the Wild Card berth would come the American League West (which to-date has the best cumulative record of the three AL divisions).
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Yes, but that team won't be the Mariners.  They'll be shutting down Pineda in August, won't they?  Too bad we didn't get a chance to see him this weekend in Boston.  THe Angels and A's have good pitching but their lineups are too weak to be serious WC contenders.  Same with Tampa -- with or without Longoria they don't have the bats.  But the Rays are a well run club and will be calling up more of their good prospects in the 2nd half of the season.  The Rays also have won 2 out of the last 3 AL East titles, so they know how to stay in a pennant chase.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Th wild card will probably be 91-94 wins, so yes, in my opinion they will be in it to the end.

See you (under another moniker) with 2 weeks to go.

I've never been asked how many wins, and this is the first time you have provided anything more than "not going away", which is meaningless.

The Rays will not win more than 90 games.

Monk, I mean Slav, the Red Sox were not "in it" last year but weren't eliminated by the math until near the end of the season. "Won't go away" is not taking a stand at all.

The Rays will not make the playoffs. That's taking a stand. Even though you are a weasel, I'm putting you down for saying the Rays will make the playoffs. Drop the lame "won't go away" nonsense.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I still havenn't heard a number from you. Not "winning 90" is about a 70 game spread. I gave a 3 game spread: 90-92. That's enough to seriously challenge for the wild card. I can't say if 90-92 will be enough to win a slot in the playoffs, but how's this to satisfy your narrow little mind: they will be at least 1-3 games in front or behind the wildcard slot with 4 games to play. That's what I mean by "not going away".

For those who thought TB's offene would be too hurt by losing a sub .200 hitting 1Bman and CC in LF, I'll just say: TB has never had great offensive numbers on paper. That's not how they have been winning. They have great management, great young pitchers, and the ability to rebuild the pen with names that haven't previously looked that great on paper, but who always seem to turn it around with them.

Just a little update:
    TB is 20-14 (1st place) after over 1/5th of the season is over.
    The young staff who, other than Shields,  is not even at prime yet:
    Shields  3-1  2.01 / 0.932
    WDavis 4-2  3.07 / 1.340
    D Price   4-3 3.26 /1.128
    Hllcksn   3-2 3.72/ 1.376
    Nieman  1-4 5.74/ 1.372
    Snnstn   0-0 2.19/ 0.892

They lost Soriano, Wheeler, Benoit, Balfour and more from the pen and everyone prdicted disater. It is early yet, but these numbers look encouraging thus far:
    Farnsworth  2-0  0.75 / 0.844
    Peralta          1-1  2.76 / 0.955
    J Cruz             1-0  2.77 / 1.077
    Russell           1-1   2.84 / 1.500
    Ramos  4.82/1.071, Gomes  0.000/0.600, Delaney 0.00/0.000

Believe it or not Casey Kotchman is hitting .373 (.922 OPS) at 1B.
    Carlos who?
    Mathew Joyce is hitting .344 (.889 OPS) in the OF.
    Carl who?
    Johnny Damon has 24 RBIs.
    Ben Zobrist is back hitting well again at a .928 OPS.
    Longoria has only 23 ABs, but is back now.

TB is not and will not "go away".

I defined my idea of what not "going away" means for the slow-minded clown, and I stick by my specific and detailed projection. I could be wrong, and will be here, under my same monniker, if and when it happens.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Haha..I really did LOL..thats great!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]I still havenn't heard a number from you. Not "winning 90" is about a 70 game spread. I gave a 3 game spread: 90-92. That's enough to seriously challenge for the wild card. I can't say if 90-92 will be enough to win a slot in the playoffs, but how's this to satisfy your narrow little mind: they will be at least 1-3 games in front or behind the wildcard slot with 4 games to play. That's what I mean by "not going away". For those who thought TB's offene would be too hurt by losing a sub .200 hitting 1Bman and CC in LF, I'll just say: TB has never had great offensive numbers on paper. That's not how they have been winning. They have great management, great young pitchers, and the ability to rebuild the pen with names that haven't previously looked that great on paper, but who always seem to turn it around with them. Just a little update: TB is 20-14 (1st place) after over 1/5th of the season is over. The young staff who, other than Shields,  is not even at prime yet: Shields  3-1  2.01 / 0.932 WDavis 4-2  3.07 / 1.340 D Price   4-3 3.26 /1.128 Hllcksn   3-2 3.72/ 1.376 Nieman  1-4 5.74/ 1.372 Snnstn   0-0 2.19/ 0.892 They lost Soriano, Wheeler, Benoit, Balfour and more from the pen and everyone prdicted disater. It is early yet, but these numbers look encouraging thus far: Farnsworth  2-0  0.75 / 0.844 Peralta          1-1  2.76 / 0.955 J Cruz             1-0  2.77 / 1.077 Russell           1-1   2.84 / 1.500 Ramos  4.82/1.071, Gomes  0.000/0.600, Delaney 0.00/0.000 Believe it or not Casey Kotchman is hitting .373 (.922 OPS) at 1B. Carlos who? Mathew Joyce is hitting .344 (.889 OPS) in the OF. Carl who? Johnny Damon has 24 RBIs. Ben Zobrist is back hitting well again at a .928 OPS. Longoria has only 23 ABs, but is back now. TB is not and will not "go away". I defined my idea of what not "going away" means for the slow-minded clown, and I stick by my specific and detailed projection. I could be wrong, and will be here, under my same monniker, if and when it happens.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I think Id like to see where they are at the end of June. I think theyre for real with that starting staff. I also agree that this organization has a great FO. If I had to make a gut decision, Id say TB is right there come the end of September. I hope Im wrong, but they got some good young talent on that team.

Sections
Shortcuts