Part II: Tampa Bay Not Going Away

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Part II: Tampa Bay Not Going Away

Moon, they can have Wheeler back.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think Id like to see where they are at the end of June. I think theyre for real with that starting staff. I also agree that this organization has a great FO. If I had to make a gut decision, Id say TB is right there come the end of September. I hope Im wrong, but they got some good young talent on that team.

They also have a great manager.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon, they can have Wheeler back.

I'd rather give them Crawford back and use the money elswhere, but that's for another thread.

TB has so many draft choices year after year due to getting rid of players right before they decline.

Nobody expected Soriano to have a season like 2010. Could Farnsworth do even better in 2011?

The team is hitting .246 (.705 OPS), but it doesn't surprise me they are still 20-14.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pelosireturns. Show pelosireturns's posts

The Rays have 11 of the first 75 selections in the upcoming June draft, which means they could infuse their highly-regarded farm system with another group of top prospects. "If they hit it right on just half of those picks," a rival executive told ESPN.com’s Buster Olney, "then this draft will set them up for years to come." Here’s the latest on the Rays’ draft:

• Rocco Baldelli and former Yankees pitching coach Dave Eiland are scouting players for the Rays in anticipation of the draft, according to Olney.
    • The Rays will take the best players available when they select, instead of entering the draft with a pre-determined approach (for example, loading up on college arms).
    • But can they afford to sign them?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

They do have a great manager. And they are flying under the radar.
    They just cleaned the O's clock in Baltimore. That's impressive.
    But I still don't consider them a season-long threat.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Rays have 11 of the first 75 selections in the upcoming June draft, which means they could infuse their highly-regarded farm system with another group of top prospects. "If they hit it right on just half of those picks," a rival executive told ESPN.com’s Buster Olney, "then this draft will set them up for years to come." Here’s the latest on the Rays’ draft:

• Rocco Baldelli and former Yankees pitching coach Dave Eiland are scouting players for the Rays in anticipation of the draft, according to Olney.
    • The Rays will take the best players available when they select, instead of entering the draft with a pre-determined approach (for example, loading up on college arms).
    • But can they afford to sign them?

Yes they can and they will.

When I said they are not going away, I meant it for this year and many more to come. They sould move to another city and bemore appreciated.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

The Rays are doing really well, especially after a start just as bad as the Sox had. I think that oddly enough one of the best things to happen to them was Manny quitting on them...they didn't bat an eye they just stuck Fuld in left field put Damon at DH...and quietly went about their business...beating every team in sight. They have had 3 other things that have really went their way...Shields pitching like an Ace, Zobrist hitting like an MVP...and Farnsworth behaving like a closer. If those things continue they will be there till the end. Somehow I don't see Shields or Farnsworth keeping this up all year but that is what the schedule is for...so we can see.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

They still have a good team - if they would just acquire an all*star rental player for the season it might make all the difference between a near miss and a WSC.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

BurritoT made an error and has removed it to save further embarrassment to himself.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Somehow I don't see Shields or Farnsworth keeping this up all year but that is what the schedule is for...so we can see

Well, I can also see Nieman pitching better to pick up the slack.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd consider unloading numerous prospects and draft picks for Heath Bell and Jose Reyes.  They have to play to win sometime and they won't be this loaded for a long time again.

1) You can't trade draft picks.
    2) They have been stockpiling picks for years; that is why they will be "this loaded" (or nearly this loaded) for a long time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Yup! They are 20-7 since going 0-7 to start the season.
    The RS are 16-11 in that same period. Respectable? Yes, but not nearly the impact as they are still under .500.
    The Rays have figured it out. Let's hope these last two wins, particularly yesterday's offensive outburst, puts us on a similar road.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Can't trade draft picks?  Ooooops.  Again now they have experienced players who know how to win, this is their last chance possibly for years to come.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Again now they have experienced players who know how to win, this is their last chance possibly for years to come.

That's what everyone said about last year to this year.

They can always sign more Johnny Damon types.
    They arenot losing as much this year as they did last. These are the only guys who will be FAs after this year:

Damon $5.25M
    Peralta $.925M
    J Cruz   $.825M
    Kotchma $???

They have Longoria & Zobrist wrapped up 3 more years and Price and Davis for 4 more after this at peanuts.

The have a ton of players under team control trough 2015.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Part II: Tampa Bay Not Going Away:
    [QUOTE]  The Rays have 11 of the first 75 selections in the upcoming June draft, which means they could infuse their highly-regarded farm system with another group of top prospects. "If they hit it right on just half of those picks," a rival executive told  ESPN.com’s Buster Olney , "then this draft will set them up for years to come." Here’s the latest on the Rays’ draft: Rocco Baldelli  and former Yankees pitching coach Dave Eiland are scouting players for the Rays in anticipation of the draft, according to Olney. The Rays will take the best players available when they select, instead of entering the draft with a pre-determined approach (for example, loading up on college arms). But can they afford to sign them? Yes they can and they will. When I said they are not going away, I meant it for this year and many more to come. They sould move to another city and bemore appreciated.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Im currently living 15mins away from cowbell hell (The trop). Most of the people here have no idea what this game is all about. The ones that do are far and few between or have been fans of another team. Ive been hoping they would move out of here so some of the so called "fans" down here get what they deserve..an empty stadium. The team deserves better.. I know that sounds harsh and It isnt directed to those 5-10 thousand regulars that show up and support this team. I respect those fans. But as a whole, this fan base is not supportive. When Sternberg lowered payroll this year, they called him cheap. Even though he raised it by 40mil the last 3 years and brought them to the World Series. IMO the town is a bunch of unappreciative front runners..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

All the more reason to win now, the players will only continue to move on - this season they still have a strong veteran core.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The way they are now constructing this organization, especially after this years draft, they should be able to compete for years. That is if they hit the nail on the head with at least 1/2 of this years picks. They got a lot of early picks this year. Its a well run organization as a whole. The pick well in the draft, they develop well and Silverman is very good with trades and has been lucky so far in FA..If people down here cant see that and dont appreciate what the future could bring with this team enough to buy a 15-20 dollar ticket, then they should go somewhere where they will.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

These are the only guys who will be FAs after this year:

Damon $5.25M
    Peralta $.925M
    J Cruz   $.825M
    Kotchman $???

My point was that these players lost after this year is nothing compared to what they lost this past winter and Fall (Garza).

Losing these guys could actually improve their team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

I don't think Tampa Bay will make the playoffs. What does "not going away" mean, in early May?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

try reading the thread. I said they will be in the playoff race to the last days of the season and if 90-92 wins is enough to make it, they should be in it.

They will stay in the race to the very end = notgoing away.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

No need to be a jerk. So, they will win 90-92 games and be "in the race to the very end". That means they will be in it until the last game. I don't think so.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ProfessorTwain. Show ProfessorTwain's posts

In Response to Re: Part II: Tampa Bay Not Going Away:
    [QUOTE]These are the only guys who will be FAs after this year: Damon $5.25M Peralta $.925M J Cruz   $.825M Kotchman $??? My point was that these players lost after this year is nothing compared to what they lost this past winter and Fall (Garza). Losing these guys could actually improve their team.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE] 

A Rays fan here... generally very thoughtful and accurate thread.  One aspect not noted is that the Rays have superb defense, which complements their emphasis on pitching.  They are currently first in the AL in both FPCT and DER.  The Rays like to have guys with speed and range and who are good with the glove.  They are also aggressive but disciplined on the base paths.  This year they have scored about the same number of runs as the Red Sox despite having a much worse OBP, but they have given up 38 fewer runs than the RS.  Rays will definitely be in the hunt for the playoffs.

Oh and I am glad to see Carl Crawford coming back for you guys... just hit the game winner off the Monster.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

The Red Sox are playing like they may underachieve (I hope I am wrong) and the Yankees are far more susceptible to loosing than they have demonstrated - Tampa has every chance not only to make the play-offs but win the division.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No need to be a jerk. So, they will win 90-92 games and be "in the race to the very end". That means they will be in it until the last game. I don't think so.

I didnt mean to be a jerk, but I said what I meant several times. They will be in the race to the last 1-3 days and very well could win the division with no major injuries. 90-92 shoul be veyr close to what is needed for the WC this year.

I respect your opinion for not thinking they will, but I disagree.

Great manager.
    Great young starters.
    Ability to score and win without great offensive numbers.
    Experience with clutch situations.
    Bullpen shaping up.
    Did I mention great manger?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

moonslav59 is a meanie-pants, Wink

I want to be educated here - who can the Rays acquire by the trade deadline that will make an immediate impact, perhaps propelling them to the ALCS?

note:  JP Howell is set to return, and he is an impressive reliever who can start.