Part II: Tampa Bay Not Going Away

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Part II: Tampa Bay Not Going Away

They have Sonnanstine. I think they go for a cheap 1Bman fix or perhaps a cheap LF'er fix as the trading team pays 3/4ths the salary and they give up a kid they know won't do anything anyways.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

b

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

moonslav, I think you've made a pretty good case. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

A Rays fan here... generally very thoughtful and accurate thread.  One aspect not noted is that the Rays have superb defense, which complements their emphasis on pitching.  They are currently first in the AL in both FPCT and DER.  The Rays like to have guys with speed and range and who are good with the glove.  They are also aggressive but disciplined on the base paths.  This year they have scored about the same number of runs as the Red Sox despite having a much worse OBP, but they have given up 38 fewer runs than the RS.  Rays will definitely be in the hunt for the playoffs.

You are right. I mentioned in on the part I thread, but neglected to discuss it here.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeyama99. Show joeyama99's posts

Rays won't make a trade at the deadline.  Instead they'll keep dipping into their farm system for help.  They keep unearthing players like Sam Fuld and someone named Brandon Guyer, who keep producing for them.  Jennings will also be called up at some point.  It's also a very real possibility that they can actually help their team this year through the draft in June.  It's supposedly a very deep draft for college pitchers who are near major league ready and they can add to their bullpen that way.  I still believe though that their offense will be their Achilles heel and keep them from the playoffs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I thought Desmond Jennings would make the team, but Fuld has done pretty good.

Joyce has been buttah!

I think the Rays might make a deal at the deadline, but not a big salary add type.

Did they get any of the Manny money back?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

RAYS PROSPECTS TOP PROSPECTS

2011:

Top 15 Pitchers:
    1. Jeremy Hellickson RHP
    2. Matt Moore LHP
    3. Chris Archer RHP
    4. Alex Torres LHP
    5. Jake McGee LHP
    6. Alexander Colome RHP
    7. Alex Cobb RHP
    8. Nick Barnese RHP
    9. Joseph Cruz RHP
    10. Jake Thompson RHP
    11. Enny Romero LHP
    12. Wilking Rodriguez RHP
    13. Scott Shuman RHP
    14. Jesse Hahn RHP
    15. Albert Suarez RHP

Top 15 Hitters:
    1. Desmond Jennings OF
    2. Josh Sale OF
    3. Drew Vettleson OF
    4. Hak-Ju Lee SS
    5. Justin O'Conner C
    6. Ty Morrison OF
    7. Robinson Chirinos C
    8. Brandon Guyer OF
    9. Luke Bailey C
    10. Tim Beckham SS
    11. Ryan Brett 2B
    12. Tyler Bortnick 2B
    13. Todd Glaesmann OF
    14. Derek Dietrich SS
    15. Yoel Araujo OF

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from legion12941. Show legion12941's posts

PREDICTION: 87-75, 3rd in AL East.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/696523-2011-mlb-season-preview-rays-zombie-lineup-will-outweigh-stellar-pitching

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FarmFan. Show FarmFan's posts

In Response to Part II: Tampa Bay Not Going Away:
    [QUOTE]Just an update on the Rays-the team many felt would not compete this year, even though they may have the best young starting staff in MLB. Longoria has only 6 PAs thus far, and yet the Rays have the same winning percent as 2009-2010 combined. Here's a look at some comparisons between 2010 and 2011 so far... Joyce, Fuld, and Zobrist (and even Kotchman) are off to fast starts, but Dan Johnson has not improved on Pena's numbers at all. Price    3-3  3.95 Davis    3-2  2.73 Shields  2-1 2.14 Helksn  2-2  4.31 Niemn  1-3   5.60 Farnsworth 1.00/0.778 WHIP Peralta         2.19/0.811 Russell          2.53/1.500 Cruz               2.70/0.900 Sonnstn        2.35/0.913
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Who the heck cares about the Rays?  We have our own issues, this is probably one of the dumbest threads on the board.  Try spending more time admitting Tek sucks rather than trying to find a way to praise his uselessness.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Part II: Tampa Bay Not Going Away:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Part II: Tampa Bay Not Going Away : Who the heck cares about the Rays?  We have our own issues, this is probably one of the dumbest threads on the board.  Try spending more time admitting Tek sucks rather than trying to find a way to praise his uselessness.
    Posted by FarmFan[/QUOTE]

Because there are 1000 other threads bashing sox players..You sound like you'd fit right in..Moon has some of the best threads on BDC. If you dont like it, why comment?? just............LEAVE!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

TB is the WC leader...we should care.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Undecided

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

We should be able to talk about the Rays as it concerns us - also I like to learn about other teams.  I have started threads in the past on the Pirates, A's, Orioles, and the Rays along with perhaps 1 or 2 others.

Not that moon doesn't know baseball more than most here - but my thread this winter was all about the Rays having an excellent chance to compete and stay well above .500.  Why not talk about them?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nobody seems to care when fans talk about theYanks, but the Rays are pretty close "on paper" in talent and better in prospects and upcoming draft picks.

Come September, we'll hear others acting like they knew all along the Rays would be contenders this year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Softy was right: we should have kept Kotchman over signing Beltre.

.360/.435/.453/.888 with the Rays this year.

Carlos who?

(Carlos Pena in '11:  .228/.354/.348/.702 down from '10's .732)

M. Joyce is on fire:

.358/.410/.569/.979

Carl who?

(2011: .218/.255/.303/.558)

Many thought losing Garza was a big loss:

Jeremy Hellickson's numbers so far:

Career 7-2  3.59

2011:
    3-2  3.72  1.376 WHIP

Matt who?

('11 Garza 2-4  4.17)

I know it's short sample sizes, but so far the Rays look pretty smart.

PS:

Rafael Soriano: 1-1  5.79  1.714 WHIP
    K. Farnsworth:  2-0  0.73  0.892 WHIP

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ProfessorTwain. Show ProfessorTwain's posts

In Response to Re: Part II: Tampa Bay Not Going Away:
    [QUOTE]I thought Desmond Jennings would make the team, but Fuld has done pretty good. Joyce has been buttah! I think the Rays might make a deal at the deadline, but not a big salary add type. Did they get any of the Manny money back?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Rays want to keep Desmond Jennings in AAA for a while to maintain their long term contractual control of him.  He will be up to provide help later in the season.

They only had to pay Manny a bit less than $90,000 of the $2 million he was to have been paid if he had stuck on the Rays' roster all year long.

I don't see the Rays making any trades, they have plenty of talent at AAA to fill in as needed.  Rays were either very lucky or very smart on Casey Kotchmann, he had eye troubles that had been interfering with his hitting, he got those fixed and has had a big bat.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/cleared-vision-helps-tampa-bay-rays-casey-kotchman-revive-career/1168725

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Thanks Professor. I do think if they need a key piece, they can make a deal, as long as it doesn't cost much.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Smile

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hellickson with a 4 hit - 1 BB shutout tonight.

He's now 4-2  2.98.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Shields        4-1   2.08
    Sonnanstine 0-0 2.87
    Hellickson  4-2   2.98
    W. Davis     4-2   3.07
    D. Price       5-3   3.12

Only Nieman has pitched poorly: 1-4  5.74 (25-24 2009-2010)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Moon and I both picked the Rays to be in the hunt to the end this year, in the 89-92 win range, which might even be enough to win the division folks this year. They had great starting pitching and it was easy to see that it could well be the best in the league. What is so surprising about the Rays being in the hunt?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Boom if you were Tampa and could only ad one premium player (rent a player) who would you unload some of your best prospects for?

I think they are only one key player away from running away with the division, stunning Boston and NY fans alike.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If I may steal Booms response:
    1) a LF'er
    2) Bullpen
    3) a 1Bman if Kotchman comes back down to earth.
    4) Utility

I think they could go out and get a player being paid $4-8M (they'd owe $1.5 to 2.5M) as a salary dump andonly give up B prospects.

Sections
Shortcuts