Part II: Tampa Bay Not Going Away

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pelosireturns. Show pelosireturns's posts

Re: Part II: Tampa Bay Not Going Away

Tampa Bay batters probably can't wait for today's game to start with Bergesen on the hill. Bergy has been awful vs. the Rays.  In 5 career starts, he's 0-5 with a 9.13 ERA. The Rays are batting .370 against him. He's allowed 40 hits, 6 HR's with 11 walks in 23 2/3 innings.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I think at this point that Tampa is one of 3 co favorites to win the division this year. How about THAT! Pitching is crucial and Tampa probably has a better pitching situation than either the Sox or Yanks at this point. If one or two of those starters go down though it could get ugly.

Kotchman is not going to maintain things and some of the other guys are not either but they have some decent back up guys IMO like Rodriguez who are underated IMO. Longoria is good enough to even carry a team for a month.
    they have a surprising amount of hitting talent available.

I don't see Farnsworth as an ideal closer but overall they are in the running. I think Wade Davis is playing over his head also.

I'd like to state here that I change my mind now on Toronto being better than Baltimore. Baltimore should be better going forward.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Wade came down to earth a little today, but maybe Neiman is paying below his ability thus far.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Part II: Tampa Bay Not Going Away:
    [QUOTE]I think at this point that Tampa is one of 3 co favorites to win the division this year. How about THAT! Pitching is crucial and Tampa probably has a better pitching situation than either the Sox or Yanks at this point. If one or two of those starters go down though it could get ugly. Kotchman is not going to maintain things and some of the other guys are not either but they have some decent back up guys IMO like Rodriguez who are underated IMO. Longoria is good enough to even carry a team for a month. they have a surprising amount of hitting talent available. I don't see Farnsworth as an ideal closer but overall they are in the running. I think Wade Davis is playing over his head also. I'd like to state here that I change my mind now on Toronto being better than Baltimore. Baltimore should be better going forward.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah. Count on it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Tampa will go away, but, unfortunately, the author of this thread will continue to loiter with lunacy. Joe Maddon really should go back to the 50's glasses.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Baltimore is better than last year, but better than "stinks" is still pretty bad.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

[QUOTE]Tampa will go away, but, unfortunately, the author of this thread will continue to loiter with lunacy. Joe Maddon really should go back to the 50's glasses.
    Posted by majorleague[/QUOTE]

The absurd one, aka; carnival monkey will be proven wrong again, but, what else is new?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

AGon isn't selling tickets in San Deigo, so said some loser.

Tampa Bay has gone away, the last two games.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

....now it's back to two game sample sizes for the biggest goalpost mover in the history of this board.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

You couldn't kick a field goal if the goal posts were as wide as the football field.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Not many can when they are moved at the last second. You are like Lucy with Charlie Brown, but it's the post you are moving, not the ball.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Back to the subject: I think it's time Fuld is moved from the one slot:

.238 (.293 OBP)

Last 28 days:
    .194/.255

Last 14:
    .156/.174

to another subject:
    Kotchman is now at .341/.411

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

I agree, you are Charlie Brown.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Baltimore is better than last year, but better than "stinks" is still pretty bad.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

This 'better than stinks' team just gave the Rays payback, blowing them away the last two games to a 15-3 margin.

The O's are now where we were yesterday: one game under .500.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

The Reds and Giants have quietly gone 8-2 over their last 10.... the Giants were playing some pretty sad baseball in April.  Things change.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, every team has its ups and downs, and that's why baseball play 162.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Tampa hopefully destroys the Yankees this week.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

They've got the starting pitching, obviously, but I'm not sure how far you can go in the AL East with Kyle Farnsworth as your closer and Longoria, Zobrist,and Joyce as your offense. I still see them in third place at season's end.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If that starting pitching holds up this year, that offense doesnt have to score a ton of runs. A lineup with Longoria, Zobrist and Joyce could do that if they perform like they are capable of. TB has been somewhat "lucky' with their bullpen choices in FA (thats not a knock, you have to be), cause its worked out good so far. I believe they got one of the better BP in the AL if Im remembering correctly (like the bullpen, thats a crapshoot too Tongue out). Until they do something to make me think otherwise, I think they will be right there come sept.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...but I'm not sure how far you can go in the AL East with Kyle Farnsworth as your closer and Longoria, Zobrist,and Joyce as your offense....

Last year, nobody expected great things from Soriano either.

As for the offense, don't let the numbers deceive you. Last year the Ray won the division with these numbers:

#1 hitter hit .249
    #2 hitter hit .265
    #3 & 4 had OPS below .832
    #5 hit .221 with an OPS of .717
    #6 hit .221 with an OPS of .691

If these were our guys, we'd have said there was no hope.

The Rays find other ways to win. It's not a FLUKE!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Why, it's MADDONing!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I really think he has a lot to do wth it.

He's perfect for that job.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pelosireturns. Show pelosireturns's posts

Farnsworth with a 1-2-3 9th, yanks go down 6-5.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Rafael who?
    Carlos who?
    Carl who?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Consider this:

Short sample size? Yes, but we are getting close to a large enough size to judge by.

TB is know for it's solid young starters.
    Their weakness according to some, was going to be the pen.
    They lost several releivers who did very well last year.

Here are the numbers so far, not counting tonight's
    5 ER  5 IP by Price and 0 ER/4 IP by the pen.

ERA:
    starters:   3.43 (257 IP)
    relievers: 3.24  (103 IP)

WHIP:
    starters:  1.210
    relievers: 1.247

Opponents OPS:
    starters:  .701
    relievers: .634