Pat Light and Joey Gallo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Pat Light and Joey Gallo

I was questioning the Sox 37th overall pick when they went with Pat Light out of Monmouth who only had good senior yr.  Two picks later, Rangers picked Joey Gallo who now has 93 HRs in 907 career ABs.  That's a HR per less than 10 ABs.  How did they miss Gallo?  Was he out of nowhere type draftee?  I'm not being sarcastic here.  I'm having hard time understanding these two picks.  Maybe signability problem with Gallo at the time?  Were they strictly looking at college players at the time? Marrero, Brian Johnson, Pat Light were all college players.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Re: Pat Light and Joey Gallo

After I asked this question I started to think of all the typical picks and as I look I never seen them draft a power bat.... They want skinny guys who are slap hitters.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Frustrating, but 28 other teams missed on Gallo as well

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I think we have to go all the way back to Mo Vaughn.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

Thing is we missed three times.  I'm happy with Marrero and Johnson but Pat Light... 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

They have drafted some power types in recent memory, it just has not always worked out swimmingly (example, Bryce Brentz).

This year I was glad to see them take some guys with big power potential (Chavis, Travis, Ockimey)...some will not work out in all likelihood, but it's not like guys like Light are a sure thing, either. It's worth taking some risks here and there in the hope of finding the next Gallo or Paul Goldschmidt (an 8th round pick!) who fell under the radar a little.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

After I asked this question I started to think of all the typical picks and as I look I never seen them draft a power bat.... They want skinny guys who are slap hitters.

They draft guys with Raw power every year, just not with the first couple picks.  They took Kolbrin Vitek several years ago who was the "best pure hitter in the draft" and Bryce Brentz and both turned out to be busts. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

They have drafted some power types in recent memory, it just has not always worked out swimmingly (example, Bryce Brentz).

This year I was glad to see them take some guys with big power potential (Chavis, Travis, Ockimey)...some will not work out in all likelihood, but it's not like guys like Light are a sure thing, either. It's worth taking some risks here and there in the hope of finding the next Gallo or Paul Goldschmidt (an 8th round pick!) who fell under the radar a little.

Ah Brentz! I forgot about him but yeah is a gamble but it should be a gamble worth taking 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The Sox have drafted tons of power guys over the years, it just happens that they didn't have anyone really pan out.  Unfortunately almost everyone else panned out giving them one of the best Farm Systems in the league.

SOMEONE NEEDS TO FIRE AMIEL SAWDAYE

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I think Brentz showed enough that he can hit 30 HRs consistently.  He just can't hit for even decent average and stay healthy to get 600 ABs.  Likely a platoon OF who would have similar career as Gomes.    

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

Ah Brentz! I forgot about him but yeah is a gamble but it should be a gamble worth taking 

Power is tool that rarely develops.  Hit tool is the most important MLB tool.  When a guy has a really good hit tool and power on top of the draft they almost ALWAYS go in the first ten picks so those guys are almost NEVER there for us to pick.  The power guys who fall, are usually higher risk pick than most, and with the sox recent failure at drafting such guys we very well could have a much weaker system than we have now if we went that route. 

Could you imagine being in the position we are in now...but with NO FARM???

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Baseball is the hardest sport to draft. It's hard to know why we have chosen some players over others, and I'm sure most teams have very different draft rank boards. Some turn out better than others, and I'd have to say, we have done better than our slots project to do, so I try to refrain from singling out a bust here or there.

As for not drafting power hitter since Mo Vaughn, remember, we drafted Greg Blosser ahead of Mo Vaughn in 1089, and maybe these guys might refresh your memory (some had big power- some good power but not great ans ome were busts):

Some were not drafted as "power hitters" per se, but had or later showed decent power...

1993: Trot Nixon (hit 79HRs/1500 ABs in a 3 year stretch with Boston '01-'03)

1994: Garciaparra (hit 65 Hrs in '97-'98 combined and 113 in a 4 year stretch)

1996: Dernell Stenson (hit 23 HRs in 433 PAs & 24 HRs in 608 PAs in the minors)

2001: Youkilis (Hit 56 HRs/1029 ABs in 2 seasons combined with Boston '08-'09)

2002: Brandon Moss (72 Hrs/1032 ABs with Oakland)

2003: David Murphy (11 Hrs/293 ABs his last year at Baylor & about 21 Hrs per 650 ABs in MLB)

2004: Pedroia (21 Hrs in 2011, but not really a "power hitter")

2005: Ellsbury (33 Hrs in 2011) & Lowrie (Nice "pop" for a middle IF'er and had 31 Hrs in 534 ABs his last 2 years at Stanford)

2006: Aaron Bates (24 Hrs in 373 ABs in minors 2007) & Lars Anderson (19 Hrs in 148 HS ABs)

2007: Middlebrooks (34 HRs in 684 MLB ABs) & Anthony Rizzo (has 20 Hrs this year in just 345 ABs)

2010: Kolbrin Vitek (35 HRs/569 college ABs) & Bryce Brentz (61 HRs/624 college ABs

2011: Travis Shaw (14 HRs/244 ABs in college & shown power in minors)

Sox4ever

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

2014:

1st Michael Chavis

2nd Sam Travis

5th Josh Ockimey

3rd Jon Denney 

24th Jantzen Witte

30th Nick Longhi 

No one, also considered one of the weakest draft classes all around in a long time.  Still got Marrero and Johnson.

1st Blake Swihart

2nd. William Jerez

9th. Travis Shaw

1st Kolbrin Vitek

1st Bryce Brentz

3rd Sean Coyle

4th Garin Cecchini

5th Henry Ramos

6th Kendrick Perkins

3rd David Renfroe

4th Jeremy HazelBaker

10th Brandon Jacobs

26th Miles Head

5th Ryan Westmoreland

6th Ryan Lavarnway

We take guys who project for power every year, most of those guys just don't work out.  Which is largely why the Sox stay clear of them with their first couple picks, those guys have higher busts rates.   But that doesn't mean they didn't take guys who have had power ceilings, and some of those guys are still very young and coming up through the system and are showing much more promise than the guys before them. 

AND, there is a huge power outage all over baseball, power is a rare commodity. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

I was questioning the Sox 37th overall pick when they went with Pat Light out of Monmouth who only had good senior yr.  Two picks later, Rangers picked Joey Gallo who now has 93 HRs in 907 career ABs.  That's a HR per less than 10 ABs.  How did they miss Gallo?  Was he out of nowhere type draftee?  I'm not being sarcastic here.  I'm having hard time understanding these two picks.  Maybe signability problem with Gallo at the time?  Were they strictly looking at college players at the time? Marrero, Brian Johnson, Pat Light were all college players.  

Hindsight is 20/20 right? What about all the other teams that missed him? What about all the other players drafted ahead of him? Marrero and Johnson aren't doing bad are they?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

I think Stanton was picked in 2nd round. Its all about Scouting.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

I think Stanton was picked in 2nd round. Its all about Scouting.

Even then scouting doesn't show all, you can't scout everyone all the time.  Even guys like Stanton, there are ton of them who are drafted every year who have all the power in the world....but they are never able to learn how to hit. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Thing is we missed three times.  I'm happy with Marrero and Johnson but Pat Light... 

I prefer BLUE LIGHT myself.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Speaking of draftees with power potential, Jon Denney was activated and in the GCL lineup today, however mother nature had something to say about him getting his first at bats of the season.  Hopefully he's been humbled by his experiences and he turns his focus solely to baseball, as he had some of the best power for a highschool hitter in the 2013 draft......but i guess we just don't ever draft guys like this.

hey....maybe if he goes 2 for 4 in his first GCL game we can DFA Ross and bring him up right away!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Heres a nice little article on a Sox Draftee, who I think might develop into a little power one day.

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2014/07/14/spinners-outfielder-and-die-hard-red-sox-fan-nick-longhi-realizes-a-dream-at-fenway/

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Wow, this is beyond silly.

1-Every year, there will be a 10th rounder that succeeds.

2-That means 30 teams missed a collective 300 times.

3-Thereby implying that all 800 or so draft picks should be chosen exactly in the order in which they produce.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Since Dan Duquette departed, we've had some very good selections...

02 Lester with our first pick (2nd rounder) & Brandon Moss in the 8th round

03 David Murphey in the 1st, Papelbon in the 4th

04 Pedroia with our 1st pick (2nd rounder) & Cla Meredith in the 6th

05 Ellsbury, Hansen, Buchholz, Lowrie and Bowden with our 5 picks all before the 2nd round began

(These 4 seasons were awesome even though our 2nd , 3rd, 4th & 5th rounders were almost always overshadowed by a lower pick.)

06 Bard 28th overall & Masterson in the 2nd (Kalish in the 9th)

Then a rough patch at the top...

07 No pick until 55th (Hagadone), but we nabbed Middy & Rizzo in the 5th & 6th

08 Kelly with the 30th and Fife & Weiland in the 3rd, Westmoreland/Lava 5/6th and Vazquez in the 9th.

09 Fuentes (28th), Wilson (77) and not much else.

10 Vitek (20), Brentz (36), Ranaudo (39), Workman (57), Coyle (110) & Cecchini (140)

Followed by what looks like a couple good drafts at the top...

11 Barnes (19), Swihart (26), Owens (36), JBJ (40), & Betts (171)

12 Marrero (24), Johnson (31), Light (37), Callahan (87)

Overall, we seem to have done well in the 4th-6th rounds, not so well in the 2nd and 3rd, and pretty good with our top picks.

Sox4ever

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

One word: Devers. I like Longhi as a pick and Ockimey has potential. But Devers is options 1, 2 and 3.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Joey Gallo still might be a bust.

If you want to play hindsight with MLB drafting, taking Nick Hagadone and Ryan Dent ahead of Giancarlo Stanton is much worse.

But then, Stanton was passed on 75 times...

Sections
Shortcuts