Paternity leave for Buck 'till ... 2014?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Paternity leave for Buck 'till ... 2014?

A friend of mine saw his last outing at McCoy stadium and said he looked awful, hitting over 90mpg on the gun just a few times. AND he was getting hit hard early and often.

I know he has another rehab start, but I'm not sure he has it, or can get it back in a meaningful way this season.

How many games does he get to blow before going back on the 60-day DL?

I feel that he's demonstrated that he is NOT a gamer this year, and part of me doesn't want to reward him with whatever comes out of the post season. It's a message that would not be wasted on others.

We've been doing well without him, and I think it's up to Buck to show us that he deserves a spot in the post season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Paternity leave for Buck 'till ... 2014?

He wasnt going full out. Its a rehab assignment so winning isnt the main concern. Getting the feel for his pitches and building up his strength is. Also feeing good afterwards. Yes, we have been doing good without him, but I still think hes a better option than Dempster.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

lasitter - with respect, I don't care what your friend thinks he saw.  As southpaw wrote, it was a rehab assignment so I'm willing to wait, hope and trust the Sox' judgement.  Of course I want Buchholz back and in top form, but right now I think Peavy, Lester and Lackey are all in pretty tasty form.  Dempster/Doubrant aren't exciting as a 4th starters in the playoffs but aren't terrible options....and maybe we'll get some rain!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

Never to early to dump on a guy !!!! Why wait till he pitches in the BIGS. Lets get him now !!!!
    Wear your hat with pride or take it off!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Buck keeps talking about how great he feels. Well I'd like to see it, as in NOW. His last rehab start is tonight in Rochester, in a playoff game where the team is already behind in the series.

His teammates want him to bring it, and if he can't out-class AAA hitting, I'm not sure I want to see him starting against our September opponents -- certainly not the Rays. Maybe he could handle Colorado or Toronto. But then, so could Workman or other pitchers that have been working hard all year for us.

Since we're going to give him a shot in September, I hope he returns as sharp as the day he left, but I just don't see it happening.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i would prefer he not tax his arm on rehab starts and save the bullets for the show.  i'm sure he, his handlers, RS coaches, and FO all feel the same........

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Ever work out for an extended period of time? Perhaps after years of working out for whatever reason you stop for several months.   What happens when you go back to the gym and try to lift the same weigh, same reps, same sets? First off u find that our strength isn't 100% of what it was when you stopped....also you're probably going to be more sore for a longer period of time and lastly it is very likely that u pull or tear something.

He needs time to ramp back up, he probably is a lot closer than you think as he's likely been training everyday and not sitting on a couch.  He's the guy back in the gym who knows he probably could bench 225, but I'm going to stick with 160 this week, and 185 next week. There is a science behind this, and your hatred for Buchholz is based on a lack of knowledge for health and human performance.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Whatever you do, Buch, just DON'T FALL ASLEEP HOLDING THE KID! Tongue Out

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

A friend of mine saw his last outing at McCoy stadium and said he looked awful, hitting over 90mpg on the gun just a few times. AND he was getting hit hard early and often.

I know he has another rehab start, but I'm not sure he has it, or can get it back in a meaningful way this season.

How many games does he get to blow before going back on the 60-day DL?

I feel that he's demonstrated that he is NOT a gamer this year, and part of me doesn't want to reward him with whatever comes out of the post season. It's a message that would not be wasted on others.

We've been doing well without him, and I think it's up to Buck to show us that he deserves a spot in the post season.

And what message does it send? "Don't mess up the Pawtucket playoff run!!  Or you will get benched in favor of an inferior guy in the Boston's playoff drive!!"

Out of curiousity, exactly what form of reward are YOU planning on withholding?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Buck keeps talking about how great he feels. Well I'd like to see it, as in NOW. His last rehab start is tonight in Rochester, in a playoff game where the team is already behind in the series.

His teammates want him to bring it, and if he can't out-class AAA hitting, I'm not sure I want to see him starting against our September opponents -- certainly not the Rays. Maybe he could handle Colorado or Toronto. But then, so could Workman or other pitchers that have been working hard all year for us.

Since we're going to give him a shot in September, I hope he returns as sharp as the day he left, but I just don't see it happening.

Who cares about a AAA playoff. The main concern is the big club. If you cant understand what Hugh explained above, then I dont know what to say. Its a rehab assignment, dont look too closely to his numbers. Thats NOT what a rehab assignment is all about.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

He wasnt going full out. Its a rehab assignment so winning isnt the main concern. Getting the feel for his pitches and building up his strength is. Also feeing good afterwards. Yes, we have been doing good without him, but I still think hes a better option than Dempster.

777 stop being rational it's not tolerated here.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Out of curiousity, exactly what form of reward are YOU planning on withholding?

It's a matter of watching the post season vs playing the post season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to notin's comment:

[QUOTE]Out of curiousity, exactly what form of reward are YOU planning on withholding?

It's a matter of watching the post season vs playing the post season.

[/QUOTE]

Leaving Buccholz off the post season roster would be a classic case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Who cares about a AAA playoff. The main concern is the big club. If you cant understand what Hugh explained above, then I dont know what to say. Its a rehab assignment, dont look too closely to his numbers. Thats NOT what a rehab assignment is all about.

Rehab assignments also tell you whether someone is ready to come back. All Bard's rehab outings tell us that he was not.

Buck gave up SEVEN hits and the only run scored by Syracues in his 3.1 innings. Ranaudo pitch four scoreless innings with five strikeouts.

If Buck feels so great, why is he holding back?

I hope he brings the good stuff tonight, but if he can't, what makes you think it will magically reappear in the bigs after three months off?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Leaving Buccholz off the post season roster would be a classic case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

It depends on which Buchholz is coming back.

Until he shows me different, I'd rather see Workman or someone else on the roster.

And yes, I am just plain angry that a player in modern baseball would even utter such nonsense as "injured my shoulder sleeping". I don't see him wearing the bloody sock any time soon.

He's not been there for us for a big chunk of yet another season, and we had to trade away Iggy so someone could cover for him.

He's going to have to come back and pitch the best ball he's pitched all year to even begin to make up for that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]Who cares about a AAA playoff. The main concern is the big club. If you cant understand what Hugh explained above, then I dont know what to say. Its a rehab assignment, dont look too closely to his numbers. Thats NOT what a rehab assignment is all about.

Rehab assignments also tell you whether someone is ready to come back. All Bard's rehab outings tell us that he was not.

Buck gave up SEVEN hits and the only run scored by Syracues in his 3.1 innings. Ranaudo pitch four scoreless innings with five strikeouts.

If Buck feels so great, why is he holding back?

I hope he brings the good stuff tonight, but if he can't, what makes you think it will magically reappear in the bigs after three months off?

[/QUOTE]

Ok, I guess you dont understand then. Nevermind.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Realistically, a pitcher is only going to go 100% or close to it on their last rehab assignment.  

Judge Buchholz by what he does in his first start back and that alone

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

[QUOTE]Leaving Buccholz off the post season roster would be a classic case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

It depends on which Buchholz is coming back.

Until he shows me different, I'd rather see Workman or someone else on the roster.

And yes, I am just plain angry that a player in modern baseball would even utter such nonsense as "injured my shoulder sleeping". I don't see him wearing the bloody sock any time soon.

He's not been there for us for a big chunk of yet another season, and we had to trade away Iggy so someone could cover for him.

He's going to have to come back and pitch the best ball he's pitched all year to even begin to make up for that.

[/QUOTE]

You do have a point.

He has been out a while and may not have the feel for the ball that pitchers have who have been on the mound all season.  There is such a thing as muscle memory.  Using a muscle group over and over again is benificial when performing.

Pitchers coming out of spring training are still working on their skills.  Buch is like a pitcher out of spring training.  All the work outs in the gym do not help with this.

On the other hand he will be well rested while other pitchers may be fatigued because of the long season so that could be a good thing.

I hope he comes back in full form so he can help the team but I have my concerns.  We shall see.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Oh good grief, where did this thread get dredged up from?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Oh good grief, where did this thread get dredged up from?

pike

• WilburNU
    • First: 9/30/2013
    • Last: 10/2/2013

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to WilburNU's comment:

Of course, Lassiter couldn't be happier that he was proven wrong.   Clay pitched like he didn't miss a beat. 

well I wouldnt say that, but he has looked good so far. The control isnt fully back, but his stuff is so ridiculously good it makes up for that somewhat. He still needs to build up to go late into games. We need to count on him for 7-8IP each game.

Sections
Shortcuts