Paterno Family Still Doesn't Get It

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Re: Paterno Family Still Doesn't Get It

With the trials of former Penn State officials

Tim Curley and Gary Schultz 

coming up, this news will make them worry:

Lynn gets prison sentence of three to six years

Msgr. William J. Lynn was sentenced Tuesday to three to six years in state prison by a judge who said he turned a blind eye while "monsters in clerical garb" sexually abused children, devastating families and shaking the Catholic Church across Philadelphia and beyond.

Common Pleas Court Judge M. Teresa Sarmina said she believed Lynn was once the kind and selfless parish priest that his supporters so passionately described. But as the aide whom Cardinal Anthony J. Bevilacqua tapped to investigate clergy sex abuse, Lynn chose to protect the church over victims, she said.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

For all of their lives almost every person they met told them how much they loved their dad, JoePa.  In football maybe only Bear Bryant's family could relate.  Julian Lennon responds by telling people his dad wasn't a nice person.

I lived for 30 years near Penn State, I was never a fan because I was put off by the superior attitude and cult like following of the PSU alumni.  

JoePa deserved most of the adulation, his charity and principles created massive good will.  Power corrupts and absolute............... and when it came time to make the biggest decision of his life, his famous morality failed him.

His kids are trying to preserve the legend because riding its coattails must have been great, but when there is overwhelming evidence that your dad was guilty of immorality it is time to go hide in the mansions he bought you.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Paterno Family Still Doesn't Get It:
    [QUOTE]For all of their lives almost every person they met told them how much they loved their dad, JoePa.  In football maybe only Bear Bryant's family could relate.  Julian Lennon responds by telling people his dad wasn't a nice person. I lived for 30 years near Penn State, I was never a fan because I was put off by the superior attitude and cult like following of the PSU alumni.   JoePa deserved most of the adulation, his charity and principles created massive good will.  Power corrupts and absolute............... and when it came time to make the biggest decision of his life, his famous morality failed him. His kids are trying to preserve the legend because riding its coattails must have been great, but when there is overwhelming evidence that your dad was guilty of immorality it is time to go hide in the mansions he bought you.
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

yes

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Paterno Family Still Doesn't Get It:
    [QUOTE]Here is their latest spew +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Sexual abuse is reprehensible, especially when it involves children, and no one starting with Joe Paterno condones or minimizes it. The horrific acts committed by Jerry Sandusky shock the conscience of every decent human being. How Sandusky was able to get away with his crimes for so long has yet to be fully understood, despite the claims and assertions of the Freeh report. The release of the Freeh report has triggered an avalanche of vitriol, condemnation and posthumous punishment on Joe Paterno. The NCAA has now become the latest party to accept the report as the final word on the Sandusky scandal. The sanctions announced by the NCAA today defame the legacy and contributions of a great coach and educator without any input from our family or those who knew him best. That the President, the Athletic Director and the Board of Trustees accepted this unprecedented action by the NCAA without requiring a full due process hearing before the Committee on Infractions is an abdication of their responsibilities and a breach of their fiduciary duties to the University and the 500,000 alumni. Punishing past, present and future students of the University because of Sandusky's crimes does not serve justice. This is not a fair or thoughtful action; it is a panicked response to the public's understandable revulsion at what Sandusky did. The point of due process is to protect against this sort of reflexive action. Joe Paterno was never interviewed by the University or the Freeh Group. His counsel has not been able to interview key witnesses as they are represented by counsel related to ongoing litigation. We have had no access to the records reviewed by the Freeh group. The NCAA never contacted our family or our legal counsel. And the fact that several parties have pending trials that could produce evidence and testimony relevant to this matter has been totally discounted. Unfortunately all of these facts have been ignored by the NCAA, the Freeh Group and the University.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Yes but more important .. Are they RED SOX fans

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I too think that the family of Joe Paterno should go quietly into the night. Collectively, unlike thier father, perhaps they as a family. Should stand tall and be accountable for his role in this sordid scandal. Instead of trying to protect the legessy of a man who enabled a pedofile for more than a decade. Mr Paterno's credibility and intergrity will forever be sullied by his inaction and rightfully so.

In the end he played a key role in enabling Sandusky to continue for more than a decade to take away the innocence of childhood from so many young boys. Young men who will now carry the burden of thier innocence lost for the rest of thier lives. A far heavier burden than any of the sanctions levied by the NCAA on what was Happy Valley. Pehaps it is through this prisism, that the Paterno family and thier representitives should view this, admit thier father's wrong and demonstrate the courage and intergrity we once all thought that Mr. Paterno possesed. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

to the Paterno family....KNOCK IT OFF!!!..IT'S INDEFENSIBLE!!!!!...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

[QUOTE]I apologize for defending Paterno earlier. I was not aware of the e-mail situation or that he had second thoughts--that would cause it to be him looking at legacy over a bad PR situation on campus for his program had he simply agreed to let the story come out way back when. Again, I can understand why people have hammered him and his statue got pulled. I don't agree with the wins taken away as the players suffer for that. 
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

I'm not trying to be disingenuous or anything, but I don't understand how the players suffer for having wins taken away.  That doesn't make any sense to me - it seems like vacating the wins was only targeted toward Paterno and his career win record. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

What are the supposed to say - "yeah grandpa allowed a bunch of kids to be raped".  Doesn't matter what the Paterno family thinks - justice has been done.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Paterno Family Still Doesn't Get It : I'm not trying to be disingenuous or anything, but I don't understand how the players suffer for having wins taken away.  That doesn't make any sense to me - it seems like vacating the wins was only targeted toward Paterno and his career win record. 
    Posted by Yukon-Cornelius[/QUOTE]

Yukon, you go back for your 20-year reunion to Penn State and you look at the new edition of the PSU press guide and it reads *0-12*.
    *8 wins vacated by NCAA ruling

So, yeah, you suffer along with your dead coach. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Paterno Family Still Doesn't Get It : Yukon, you go back for your 20-year reunion to Penn State and you look at the new edition of the PSU press guide and it reads *0-12*. *8 wins vacated by NCAA ruling So, yeah, you suffer along with your dead coach. 

I'm not sure I buy the argument that they suffer for this, but I respect that's the way you feel about it.  Thanks for the reply, danny.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

The irony....the last Championship team Paterno will be credit with, Mike McCurry was the quarterback.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

It's a pride thing, no question, Yukon. It's pride about your past accomplishments. To say that it only affects Paterno--removing wins--is not fair to the players, assistant coaches, staff, and others who put a lot of work into the program for the years that the wins were taken away. It hurts, I'm sure for those individuals. Black mark for sure.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]Paterno was supposed to go to the Police and do what? Where was the President and VPs of the college who Paterno told, where do they fall in the moral compass? You guys don't understand protocol at colleges. I do. Here's how it works. You tell your superiors and the superiors do the investigation and the superiors decide what happens. If they didn't act on it, you are now dealing with issue of being "rogue." You think everyone on Earth who hears an allegation about someone you mentored, and trusted as a friend, and had a very long personal relationship with, automatically runs to the Police to say "he's a pedophile!!! my def. coordinator!!" after the People who are supposed to be doing the right things, the College President and Athletic Director don't act on the allegations. I'm not saying Paterno wasn't involved in the cover-up, but I am saying he was in a tough spot up to that point dealing with "heresay" about someone he trusted on his coaching staff. People don't automatically run to the cops and make allegations after their bosses either don't followup or tell you they are not going to followup. In Paterno's mind, he did what he was supposed to do, and since no one acted on things, he has to assume they knew best.--AD/President.

here is the protocal at Penn St

Joe Pa
    His Statue

the rest of the school officials...

to even suggets that Paterno had to answer to a higher authority or go thru some beauracratic channels is hilarious...read the Freehl report...HE MADE THE DECISION TO COVER THE ABUSE UP rather than hurt his program

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]It's a pride thing, no question, Yukon. It's pride about your past accomplishments. To say that it only affects Paterno--removing wins--is not fair to the players, assistant coaches, staff, and others who put a lot of work into the program for the years that the wins were taken away. It hurts, I'm sure for those individuals. Black mark for sure.

Excuse me, you want to compare this hurt of those with collateral damage with the suffering of the victims? Not even close. However, I believe they should have had a much higher fine and not limited the scholarships or denied bowl appearances.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Paterno Family Still Doesn't Get It : Yukon, you go back for your 20-year reunion to Penn State and you look at the new edition of the PSU press guide and it reads *0-12*. *8 wins vacated by NCAA ruling So, yeah, you suffer along with your dead coach. 

Suffering is being raped by a grown monster of a man when you are pre-pubescent...not having your college football record erased

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]According to a conversation I had with a European Consider the source, and remind them to be on time with their debt payments.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

Well, we have debt payments too (unless you're talking about WWII). However, regarding the source, you have a point. As far as Feinstein goes, she claims that her comments were taken out of context and used as propaganda by the GOP; of course, that's a common excuse.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Paterno Family Still Doesn't Get It : Excuse me, you want to compare this hurt of those with collateral damage with the suffering of the victims? Not even close. However, I believe they should have had a much higher fine and not limited the scholarships or denied bowl appearances.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

The 60 million equaled a years revenue the football team generated. They will lose a lot more in sponsorship money. State Farm is out, GM is said to be next and many more are considering the same.

I'll also add Dottie Sandusky to the list of who looked the other way. Does anyone really believe she didnt know her husband was raping boys in their basement? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Paterno Family Still Doesn't Get It : The 60 million equaled a years revenue the football team generated. They will lose a lot more in sponsorship money. State Farm is out, GM is said to be next and many more are considering the same. I'll also add Dottie Sandusky to the list of who looked the other way. Does anyone really believe she didnt know her husband was raping boys in their basement? 
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Agreed; I also heard even other schools knew about this. A chilling thought, now that 2 institutions (Church, Penn State) have had this issue, how many more are/were there? Schools, Day Care Centers, Orphanages, etc?

I have a feeling the recent Syracuse scandal was quickly whisked under the rug, especially coming on the heels of this.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

The Paterno family is just like the rest of the people in State College.  They really don't get it.  They have been hammered for 50 years about the great Joe Pa and Penn St football.  They feasted on Holy Cross, Temple, Rutgers, UMass and the rest of the east cost Div III teams for 30 years.  The Big Ten hasn't been to good to them and very likely is going to kick them out.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]The Paterno family is just like the rest of the people in State College.  They really don't get it.  They have been hammered for 50 years about the great Joe Pa and Penn St football.  They feasted on Holy Cross, Temple, Rutgers, UMass and the rest of the east cost Div III teams for 30 years.  The Big Ten hasn't been to good to them and very likely is going to kick them out.
    Posted by MichFan[/QUOTE]

Kind of reminds someone of the Vatican.

Sections
Shortcuts