Pathetic Team and Management

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Pathetic Team and Management

ve had an extra big bowl of your smug cereal this morning, Joe. The guy nailed it. The Yankees go after it EVERY year. When it doesn't work, they go after it harder. Tough to complain about that. Meanwhile, how many times have I read your nonsense, "The Sox didn't make off-season moves, because how do you improve the best team in baseball?" One spin around the Sox diamond will tell most people that it's very far from that. The Sox have been dominated by good pitching since the Detroit playoff series right up to last night. If not for the Papi slow pitch softball show, where would the Sox have been? So put your t shirt on, get out the old press clippings, and have another bowl of cereal.

So you would rather make the playoffs every year then win a world series ring, because that's basically what you just said. TheSox and Yankees have different models, that's really what it comes down too.

[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what it comes down to. Had this discussion with a NYY fan, not long ago. MFY, surprised at you. Some of you need to find something else to do this summer. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The owners should try to field a team that is in contention every year. The goal should always be making the playoffs. Actually winning a championship involves a lot of things going right in the playoffs. In the past, we had some great teams, but the one big play to win a championship was always elusive. In our three championships, the big plays went our way. How many do we win without the clutch hitting of David Ortiz?  The owners can take a certain amount of credit, but without those clutch hits there are no championships. It has been my feeling that this was a very unproductive off season. I have said that from opening day. I have seen nothing to change my mind. By no means am I giving up, but this season has gone pretty much as I expected.  Still hoping for a turn around.

Stabbed by Foulke.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to mfymfy's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Glad you brought up the Yankees. 1 title in 12 years compared to our 3, despite outspending us by about 30%. Now that's pathetic isn't it?

Yeah but they are in playoffs almost very year.

ROTFLMAO!!!

I talk to a fair amount of Yankee fans, and not a single one of them mention that.  You have become completely unhinged.  Seriously, maybe you should create a T-shirt saying 'Yeah, you guys won 3 World Series Championships in the past ten years, but we made the playoffs 8 times'.

Is that really the T-shirt you want?  'We're in the playoffs almost every year'?  I kind of like having my 2004, 2007, and 2013 WSC t-shirts.

You must have had an extra big bowl of your smug cereal this morning, Joe. The guy nailed it. The Yankees go after it EVERY year. When it doesn't work, they go after it harder. Tough to complain about that. Meanwhile, how many times have I read your nonsense, "The Sox didn't make off-season moves, because how do you improve the best team in baseball?" One spin around the Sox diamond will tell most people that it's very far from that. The Sox have been dominated by good pitching since the Detroit playoff series right up to last night. If not for the Papi slow pitch softball show, where would the Sox have been? So put your t shirt on, get out the old press clippings, and have another bowl of cereal.

Being the best must mean winning the world series ? Do ya think maybe lots of luck helped out also. Do you really think best team man for man or just good team that played better then expected. Do you think this team is a little upset that management didn't go out and try to add some needed players just to save money or resign players that were the backbone of why we did what we did.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

You must have had an extra big bowl of your smug cereal this morning, Joe. The guy nailed it. The Yankees go after it EVERY year. When it doesn't work, they go after it harder. Tough to complain about that.

That's funny.  You accuse Joe of being smug, then make an incredibly smug statement like that.

Were the Yankees 'going after it' when they let Swisher and Martin and Ibanez and Chavez go after 2012? 

No wait, that was when Hal was setting his sights on getting under the 189 million for this year.

Then they missed the playoffs and the accountants showed him the bad news on revenues and he changed his mind about the 189 million.

If you were really 'going for it' this year, why not keep Cano and sign Drew and Balfour?

Nice try there, but a fail. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

We really sound like Astros or Cubs fans who have tasted year after year of last place seasons and are getting impatient with yet another low-budget rebuilding team...not fans of the reigning champions who have a $180-something million payroll.

The "Yankees model" is often reviled around here, but the fact is that's what a lot of RS fans want; we thought we'd learned our lesson after the travails of 2011-12, but a lot of people still think signing the biggest free agents or having the "most productive offseason" automatically leads to wins and championships*, and think anything less means ownership isn't trying. We crow about having such a great farm system, but when prospects do get promoted to the major leagues we expect immediate success from them and label them failures for anything less.

All the Yankees' vaunted moves have given them, as of today, a lead of 2.5 games on our "pathetic team" in the standings. That is not to say I'm happy with the way this team has played thus far or don't think there are changes to be made**, but we are right in the thick of things in this division, and I'm confident that a great many of our players (particularly on the offensive side) are capable of doing much more than they are now. There is a lot of baseball left to be played.

-

*-I petition for this to be forevermore referred to as "2013 Blue Jays Syndrome."

**- I'm personally hoping Ben is lying in wait to make a deal for a LF bat this summer, as I believe he has the pieces to accomplish if he wishes to. Just think what a Stanton -- or even someone who's half of Stanton -- could do for this lineup.

I also see our current Pawtucket rotation (Webster/De La Rosa/Workman/Ranaudo/Barnes) as an open try-out for a major league spot should one become available this summer. Lester, Peavy, and Lackey are looking like a very, very good #1-3, but the other two...well, you know. The good news is there is plenty of pitching depth to draw upon.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

You must have had an extra big bowl of your smug cereal this morning, Joe. The guy nailed it. The Yankees go after it EVERY year. When it doesn't work, they go after it harder. Tough to complain about that.

That's funny.  You accuse Joe of being smug, then make an incredibly smug statement like that.

Were the Yankees 'going after it' when they let Swisher and Martin and Ibanez and Chavez go after 2012? 

No wait, that was when Hal was setting his sights on getting under the 189 million for this year.

Then they missed the playoffs and the accountants showed him the bad news on revenues and he changed his mind about the 189 million.

If you were really 'going for it' this year, why not keep Cano and sign Drew and Balfour?

Nice try there, but a fail. 

Hfx, no sense in continuing to beat up the Cano argument. The Yankees are a far better offensive team this year than last. Trading Cano and Granderson for Beltran, McAnn, Ells , is a no brainer so far. Losing A Rod gives Solarte an opening and he's hitting over .300 and leading the team in RBIs. Tex is mashing again . On a side note, seeing Ells play every day makes me think the Sox should be asking the question of going for it or not. 

Why sign Balfour when you have Robertson? Drew would have been fine but would he be better than Solarte? No. Then they sign Tanaka--if all this doesn't sound like "going for it", then what would?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

The owners should try to field a team that is in contention every year. The goal should always be making the playoffs. Actually winning a championship involves a lot of things going right in the playoffs. In the past, we had some great teams, but the one big play to win a championship was always elusive. In our three championships, the big plays went our way. How many do we win without the clutch hitting of David Ortiz?  The owners can take a certain amount of credit, but without those clutch hits there are no championships. It has been my feeling that this was a very unproductive off season. I have said that from opening day. I have seen nothing to change my mind. By no means am I giving up, but this season has gone pretty much as I expected.  Still hoping for a turn around.

Stabbed by Foulke.

A lot of things went our way over the years. In 2004 Belhorn was given a home run that the umpires reversed a call on. ARod was called for knocking a ball out of Arroyo's glove.In 2007 we were lucky Cleveland beat the Yankees and knocked them out in the first round. Last year everything went right for us. I saw the horror of the 1975 World Series, the 1967 World Series, 1978 one game playoff, and the 2003 game 7 Aaron Boone home run. I have seen the worst of it.

This year I felt they fell asleep during the Winter Meetings and figured everyone was going to do what they did last year. You lost Ellsbury, Saltalamachia and their production as well. I am not a kool aide drinker all Jim Jones.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

This is what they call a market correction year. You didn't expect us to win it all again honestly, did you? I would rather play those three young players all year long and then make an assessment. Letting Ells go was a mistake, like Beltre - a winner who plays at a high level and is a game changer. Do we have any of those players left? Shoot Salty was quite walk off worthy in his own way and we let him walk for mlb pennies. Maybe Ben was reading too many of HFX's loving posts and getting swell-headed, I dunno. But we are seriously weakened up the middle this year and that is Baseball winning 101. Furthermore given the ages of our starters, I fully expect one or two to go done for a while as the season wears on. Shane is no spring chicken, Grady is a shell of his former self, Nava/Gomes/Carp are the 3 Horsemen of mediocrity. Papi is our big gun and at his age his stats reflect reality - he is nowhere near elite anymore in production. Napoli is sort of the man now and he is ticking time bomb of german shephard hip misalignment. Oh and I think Magic Koji is no more. He still amazes me given his 80's fastball but that wasnt going to last forever either. Lots of holes my friends so watch the young-uns and root for them because if they can improve, we have a nice nucleus to build on. If not, we will have to become the yanks next year or be cellar dwellers. Forecast is cloudy right now at best.

As always - 100% correct!

Nava/Carp/Gomes,  the three horsemen of mediocrity  is the best line I have read in a long time, yet niether can ride a horse...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

Stabbed by Foulke.

A lot of things went our way over the years. In 2004 Belhorn was given a home run that the umpires reversed a call on. ARod was called for knocking a ball out of Arroyo's glove.In 2007 we were lucky Cleveland beat the Yankees and knocked them out in the first round. Last year everything went right for us. I saw the horror of the 1975 World Series, the 1967 World Series, 1978 one game playoff, and the 2003 game 7 Aaron Boone home run. I have seen the worst of it.

This year I felt they fell asleep during the Winter Meetings and figured everyone was going to do what they did last year. You lost Ellsbury, Saltalamachia and their production as well. I am not a kool aide drinker all Jim Jones.

[object HTMLDivElement].   If you take away just a few breaks, a few swings of the bat, we could be in a 96 year drought now. I will give the owners some credit for the success, but I am not willing to give them a pass for an off season of complacency, while our competition went out and improved. Sure, last year was great, but let's not forget the collapse in 2011 and the 2012 horror show. In business, you have to keep improving to stay ahead of the competition. Last year was great. Last year is over. This year is not going so well . 

In response to Javi60's comment:

In response to georom4's comment:

This is what they call a market correction year. You didn't expect us to win it all again honestly, did you? I would rather play those three young players all year long and then make an assessment. Letting Ells go was a mistake, like Beltre - a winner who plays at a high level and is a game changer. Do we have any of those players left? Shoot Salty was quite walk off worthy in his own way and we let him walk for mlb pennies. Maybe Ben was reading too many of HFX's loving posts and getting swell-headed, I dunno. But we are seriously weakened up the middle this year and that is Baseball winning 101. Furthermore given the ages of our starters, I fully expect one or two to go done for a while as the season wears on. Shane is no spring chicken, Grady is a shell of his former self, Nava/Gomes/Carp are the 3 Horsemen of mediocrity. Papi is our big gun and at his age his stats reflect reality - he is nowhere near elite anymore in production. Napoli is sort of the man now and he is ticking time bomb of german shephard hip misalignment. Oh and I think Magic Koji is no more. He still amazes me given his 80's fastball but that wasnt going to last forever either. Lots of holes my friends so watch the young-uns and root for them because if they can improve, we have a nice nucleus to build on. If not, we will have to become the yanks next year or be cellar dwellers. Forecast is cloudy right now at best.

As always - 100% correct!

Nava/Carp/Gomes,  the three horsemen of mediocrity  is the best line I have read in a long time, yet niether can ride a horse...

Good post, my point is that it's not like management is giving the fans a break in prices, but management expected the career years of Nava to be a reflection into this year. Ben or Larry went to sleep at the meetings after blowing smoke up their bavksides.

Hfx, no sense in continuing to beat up the Cano argument. The Yankees are a far better offensive team this year than last. Trading Cano and Granderson for Beltran, McAnn, Ells , is a no brainer so far. Losing A Rod gives Solarte an opening and he's hitting over .300 and leading the team in RBIs. Tex is mashing again . On a side note, seeing Ells play every day makes me think the Sox should be asking the question of going for it or not. 

Why sign Balfour when you have Robertson? Drew would have been fine but would he be better than Solarte? No. Then they sign Tanaka--if all this doesn't sound like "going for it", then what would?

Going for it would have been keeping your best player, I think. 

Pretty hard not to improve on last year's offence.

My point, though, really, is that the Yankees of recent years are working within some financial constraints of their own.

You can't possibly believe that the Yankees were going all in on the 2013 season. 

If you take away just a few breaks, a few swings of the bat, we could be in a 96 year drought now.

That's lame thinking, gale.  The game of baseball is like that.  It's rare that one team blows everybody away en route to a title.

We could have won in 1975, 1978 and 1986 with one more thing breaking our way, right?  What's the point of thinking like that?  It's useless.

If you can't be happy about winning 3 times in 10 years, you're never going to be happy.

I think some of the people here just need something to complain about every day, basically.  I'm not referring to you.  You're pretty reasonable with most of your comments.

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

If you take away just a few breaks, a few swings of the bat, we could be in a 96 year drought now.

That's lame thinking, gale.  The game of baseball is like that.  It's rare that one team blows everybody away en route to a title.

We could have won in 1975, 1978 and 1986 with one more thing breaking our way, right?  What's the point of thinking like that?  It's useless.

If you can't be happy about winning 3 times in 10 years, you're never going to be happy.

I think some of the people here just need something to complain about every day, basically.  I'm not referring to you.  You're pretty reasonable with most of your comments

[object HTMLDivElement].   That's not my point. My point is that we could easily have won titles under past ownership. The teams were good enough. It just didn't quite happen.  I will give credit to current ownership for the three titles, but without a few breaks and David Ortiz coming up huge, it would not have happened. All I expect of management is to make every effort to field a contender every year. 

In response to AL34's comment:

Stabbed by Foulke.

[object HTMLDivElement].   If you take away just a few breaks, a few swings of the bat, we could be in a 96 year drought now. I will give the owners some credit for the success, but I am not willing to give them a pass for an off season of complacency, while our competition went out and improved. Sure, last year was great, but let's not forget the collapse in 2011 and the 2012 horror show. In business, you have to keep improving to stay ahead of the competition. Last year was great. Last year is over. This year is not going so well . 

We'll said. I agree.

[object HTMLDivElement].   That's not my point. My point is that we could easily have won titles under past ownership. The teams were good enough. It just didn't quite happen.  I will give credit to current ownership for the three titles, but without a few breaks and David Ortiz coming up huge, it would not have happened. All I expect of management is to make every effort to field a contender every year. 

Well, to take it further than the 3 titles, in the 12 years of current ownership, the team has been to the ALCS 5 times and the playoffs 7 times.  In the other 5 seasons, the team won 93, 90, 89, 86 and 69 games.

Only once in those 12 seasons was the team eliminated from playoff contention early.

You can't do much better than this.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I see a patterns.

When the Sox win, the owners were lucky and don't deserve credit.,

When the Sox lose, blame the owners for being cheap and not committed to winning.

OK -- got it. Just so we're all on the same page.

In response to royf19's comment:

I see a patterns.

When the Sox lose, blame the owners for being cheap and not committed to winning.

[object HTMLDivElement]  I got it. When the Sox lose , it's the breaks, injuries and those lousy umpires. Just part of baseball. When we win, it's the owners. Therefore, the owners deserve a pass the following year. I think I'm finally on the right page now. Thanks.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]  I got it. When the Sox lose , it's the breaks, injuries and those lousy umpires. Just part of baseball. When we win, it's the owners. Therefore, the owners deserve a pass the following year. I think I'm finally on the right page now. Thanks.

Nice try but I'm not sure what you mean by "it's the breaks.'' I've NEVER BLAMED UMPIRES. And as for injuries, I haven't brought up injuries, but injuries are part of the game and as I've said -- sometimes a team can overcome them, sometimes they can't. It's called baseball.

And it's not about giving the owners a pass. It's about understanding that there are no guarantees no matter what moves you make. So the Sox decided to go with young players. I had no problems in the offseason with that strategy, so I'm not going to be a hypocrite and rip the team now.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I see a patterns.

Exactly right, my friend!  I would only add - obviously - that the Red Sox should be the Harlem Globetrotters of Teddy Ballgame's Major Fvcking Leagues.  They should bat 1.000, have an ERA of 0.00, have a 162-0 record every season and in the off season knock in a few goals for Liverpool.  

Any deviation from that should raise alarms if not, sadly, certain equipment.

Feel any better now?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

One nutty thread with all the griping and sniping.  Meanwhile the Sox take 2 of 3 at Texas and are 2 back of Baltimore and half a game back of the Yankees.  Too bad the Sox FO doesn't know how to go after it every year.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

You must have had an extra big bowl of your smug cereal this morning, Joe.

You must've been asleep.  I've been smug since last November.  Not just normal smug, like after 2004 and 2007, but really obnoxiously smug.  Any suggestion that I just turned smug is downright insulting.

The guy nailed it. The Yankees go after it EVERY year. When it doesn't work, they go after it harder. Tough to complain about that.

On one hand, I agree that NYY should be pleased that the NYY spend a lot of money.  OTOH, I'd question why all that spending as resulted in one WSC since 2000.  But I'm not sure we are in disagereement here.  You're happy that they are going after it hard, and I am they have been unsuccessful in doing so.

Meanwhile, how many times have I read your nonsense, "The Sox didn't make off-season moves, because how do you improve the best team in baseball?" One spin around the Sox diamond will tell most people that it's very far from that. The Sox have been dominated by good pitching since the Detroit playoff series right up to last night.

If not for the Papi slow pitch softball show, where would the Sox have been? So put your t shirt on, get out the old press clippings, and have another bowl of cereal.

As I said in another thread, I beleive we are handily the best team in the division.  Being .5 games behind you guys after 37 games doesn't bother me at all.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm personally hoping Ben is lying in wait to make a deal for a LF bat this summer, as I believe he has the pieces to accomplish if he wishes to. Just think what a Stanton -- or even someone who's half of Stanton -- could do for this lineup.

Who do you think might be available?

Here are the top OPS players from 2013-2014 at these possible positions:

OF: Trout, Puig, CGon. Cuddyer, McCutchen, Werth, Choo, Bautista, Stanton, Blackmon, C Gomez, Holliday, N Cruz, B Moss, M Byrd, Upton, Harper, Rasmus, C Beltran, Hunter, Pence, Myers, Bruce, (Victorino), (Nava), A Jones, Ellsbury, A Craig, S Smith, Crisp (.777).

3B: Miggy, Donaldson, Wright, Beltre, Carpenter, Longoria, Zimmerman, A Ramirez, Johnson, Uribe, Seager, Alvarez, Francisco, Arendo, Frazier, Headley, Machado, Prado, Reynolds, Sandoval (.713)

SS (move Bogey to 3B?): Tulo, HanRam, Peralta, Lowrie, (Drew), reyes, Desmond, A Ramirez, Segura, JJ hardy, Mercer, A Cabrera, E Cabrera, Crawford, Gregorius (.698)

Sox4ever

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

That's not my point. My point is that we could easily have won titles under past ownership. The teams were good enough. It just didn't quite happen. I will give credit to current ownership for the three titles, but without a few breaks and David Ortiz coming up huge, it would not have happened. All I expect of management is to make every effort to field a contender every year.

We probably should've won in 2003 and 2008, except for Little and Tito leaving in a starter one batter too long.  I'm more tha nwilling to acknowledge you need to get lucky to win it all, but absent the year Valentine was here, we've averaged > 93 wins.  We won 95 or more 7 times in 11 years.  Before that, we won 95 or more 7 times in in the previous 88 years.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

let's just say for the sake of argument the Yankees' approach is superior, and that consistently winning division titles is better than winning more World Series rings (and cultivating a better farm system) over that same period. I don't believe that, but it's a viable argument for some. 

What about all the other teams, large payroll and small, who haven't even been to the World Series the last ten years? 

If we're pathetic, than what are they? 

Sox management frustrates me also (latest example: hated the lowball Lester offer), but calling this management team "pathetic" indicates a massive lack of perspective on what other MLB fans have gone through this last decade in comparison.

• Sections
    Shortcuts