Pathetic Team and Management

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Pathetic Team and Management

Sox management frustrates me also (latest example: hated the lowball Lester offer), but calling this management team "pathetic" indicates a massive lack of perspective on what other MLB fans have gone through this last decade in comparison.

Like I've said before, sometimes it is best to assume they know more about this than we do.  I'd give Lester $100M/5 and not think twice.  But the FO is pretty spot-on accurate about the guys we allow to leave.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Pathetic.  You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is one of the worst hitting Red Sox teams that I have ever watched. Every game is a struggle with hitting the ball. I heard Larry Luchinno say well, we have had injuries. Now that Middlebrooks and Victorino are back, what's the excuse now ? They did not want to pay Ellsbury the money that he was looking for, so they replaced him with a major league minimum salaried player, Jackie Bradley Junior who flat cannot hit a baseball. He looks like a defensive replacement at best. The other alternative was to pick up Grady Sizemore who has been out of baseball two years because they realized that Bradley was not what they thought he was.  

Middle brooks ls what he is a .220 hitter making a little more than major league minimum who hits an occasional mistake. Oh yeah, I read the stories about his vision and the contact lenses helping him. What happened with that ? Victorino has had a lot of injuries and they look like they are catching up on him.

Every time I see a ball hit to Baeggerts, I cringe and he is not exactly ripping the cover off of the ball like Luchinno said he was going to do. This team had trouble scoring runs against the Cincinnati Reds at home, really pathetic. 

They also lost the production of Saltalamachia's and replaced him with an aging catcher who looks like he is at the end as well. The way this team over rates their hitting, I have reservations about seeing that catcher from Pawtucket they are high on.

Nava has reverted to what he has been his whole career, a journeyman outfielder and has been sent to the minor leagues. Management had to have been out of their minds thinking he was going to do what he did last year. I am still laughing at the fact they wanted to put him in the lead off position because of his on base percentage, comical.

Bucholtz I have yet to figure out what is wrong with him, but he wins a game looks good and reverts back to mediocre again along with diminished velocity.  Doubrount, who I thought was going to build on his playoff run last year, has reverted to mediocre again. This team should have been in on Tanaka or Darvish a couple of years ago. Instead they are licking their wounds from a Japanese pitcher who burned them several years ago and back off again.

Team went from worst to first last year and are they are reverting back to worst again. I think they will be lucky to win 82 games. That is some way to defend your title. Is management giving the fans any breaks on ticket prices, concessions, and parking in Boston to see this mediocre product they put together ?

[/QUOTE]

Chances.   Ya take your chances.  The division is muscled up.  The bats are starting to warm up.  Everyone is after our team and an example and wants to replace us.  The guys got no rest during the off season cuz everyone wanted to see them ... as champs.  US - WE the fans want to enjoy the afterglow of a championship moment.  We never stop to think that we suck energy out of the next season.  Add to that the personal responsibility that team members felt toward the city after  the bombings at the beginning of last season (see http://espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/9840851/boston-red-sox-fully-embraced-boston-marathon-survivors" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/9840851/boston-red-sox-fully-embraced-boston-marathon-survivors as an example) and these guys were sportsmen AND men with great hearts.  

Stop the whining and enjoy men who are more than just self-serving A-Rod types and are here for each other and for us.

Sox!  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And chokkkkers with RISP. Pitiful

[/QUOTE]

that's chockers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to mfymfy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Glad you brought up the Yankees. 1 title in 12 years compared to our 3, despite outspending us by about 30%. Now that's pathetic isn't it?

[/QUOTE]

Yeah but they are in playoffs almost very year.

ROTFLMAO!!!

I talk to a fair amount of Yankee fans, and not a single one of them mention that.  You have become completely unhinged.  Seriously, maybe you should create a T-shirt saying 'Yeah, you guys won 3 World Series Championships in the past ten years, but we made the playoffs 8 times'.

Is that really the T-shirt you want?  'We're in the playoffs almost every year'?  I kind of like having my 2004, 2007, and 2013 WSC t-shirts.

[/QUOTE]

You must have had an extra big bowl of your smug cereal this morning, Joe. The guy nailed it. The Yankees go after it EVERY year. When it doesn't work, they go after it harder. Tough to complain about that. Meanwhile, how many times have I read your nonsense, "The Sox didn't make off-season moves, because how do you improve the best team in baseball?" One spin around the Sox diamond will tell most people that it's very far from that. The Sox have been dominated by good pitching since the Detroit playoff series right up to last night. If not for the Papi slow pitch softball show, where would the Sox have been? So put your t shirt on, get out the old press clippings, and have another bowl of cereal.

[/QUOTE]

weird how only 1/2 game separates the lowly Sox and the great and mighty yankees. 

smug?  i'll tell you smug pal.  a yankees fan coming onto a Red Sox forum telling Sox fans they are smug.  now that is smug.  know what i mean???

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Glad you brought up the Yankees. 1 title in 12 years compared to our 3, despite outspending us by about 30%. Now that's pathetic isn't it?

[/QUOTE]

ROTFLMAO!!!

I talk to a fair amount of Yankee fans, and not a single one of them mention that.  You have become completely unhinged.  Seriously, maybe you should create a T-shirt saying 'Yeah, you guys won 3 World Series Championships in the past ten years, but we made the playoffs 8 times'.

Is that really the T-shirt you want?  'We're in the playoffs almost every year'?  I kind of like having my 2004, 2007, and 2013 WSC t-shirts.

[/QUOTE]

You must have had an extra big bowl of your smug cereal this morning, Joe. The guy nailed it. The Yankees go after it EVERY year. When it doesn't work, they go after it harder. Tough to complain about that. Meanwhile, how many times have I read your nonsense, "The Sox didn't make off-season moves, because how do you improve the best team in baseball?" One spin around the Sox diamond will tell most people that it's very far from that. The Sox have been dominated by good pitching since the Detroit playoff series right up to last night. If not for the Papi slow pitch softball show, where would the Sox have been? So put your t shirt on, get out the old press clippings, and have another bowl of cereal.

[/QUOTE]

oh, and i am really sorry you can no longer chant "1918" since 2004 and you had to throw away your "even a blind squirrel finds a nut every 86 years" t-shirt in 2007.

smug that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Huh?  Um.  No.  Joe didn't say that once, never mind 'how many times'.  In fact, I never heard that from anyone.  at all.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

For those, including the OP, who believe the Sox should be giving the fans a price break, consider this:  the Sox have the second highest road attendance, 35,548, in MLB this season so far.  In other words, fans all around the country like going to see the Sox play.  The Sox average 35,878 in home attendance.  Percentage-wise, the Sox average 86.5% filled seats in all games, home and away.  That's the highest percentage in MLB.  When you combine attendance with being 1.5 games out of first in the AL East and tied now with the Yankees, it is hard to see "pathetic team and management."  I mean really hard.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Red Sox/Yankees rivalry is alive and well based on this thread.   :)

Jeter's last game of his career will be the final regular season game at Fenway because the Yankees will not make the playoffs.   ;)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

How amazing is it that on May 13, the Sox still haven't won more than two games in a row. Yet they're one game over .500 and 1.5 out of first place. Albeit in a division just about anyone can win.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

days like today used to be a fun day here in NJ/NY area for the yankees fans.  Sox being 19-18 and all.  would always make the yankees fans extra smug.  boy, i bet they miss those "good ol' days".  

smug that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

Hfx, no sense in continuing to beat up the Cano argument. The Yankees are a far better offensive team this year than last. Trading Cano and Granderson for Beltran, McAnn, Ells , is a no brainer so far. Losing A Rod gives Solarte an opening and he's hitting over .300 and leading the team in RBIs. Tex is mashing again . On a side note, seeing Ells play every day makes me think the Sox should be asking the question of going for it or not.

Why sign Balfour when you have Robertson? Drew would have been fine but would he be better than Solarte? No. Then they sign Tanaka--if all this doesn't sound like "going for it", then what would?

[/QUOTE]

gee....i dont know.....in case maybe, you know, he goes on the DL or something????

smug that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

Hfx, no sense in continuing to beat up the Cano argument. The Yankees are a far better offensive team this year than last. Trading Cano and Granderson for Beltran, McAnn, Ells , is a no brainer so far. Losing A Rod gives Solarte an opening and he's hitting over .300 and leading the team in RBIs. Tex is mashing again . On a side note, seeing Ells play every day makes me think the Sox should be asking the question of going for it or not.

Drew would have been fine but would he be better than Solarte? No. Then they sign Tanaka--if all this doesn't sound like "going for it", then what would?

[/QUOTE]

"Losing" a-rod?  is that what it is referred to now?  lol.  too bad you cannot find a way to get him banned next year too.  or the year after.  or the year after that.

smug that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

ROTFLMAO!!!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

oh, and i am really sorry you can no longer chant "1918" since 2004 and you had to throw away your "even a blind squirrel finds a nut every 86 years" t-shirt in 2007.

smug that.

[/QUOTE]

I like your style!  :-))

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

weird how....if i remember correctly....why yes! they did!  they won the World Series.  how is that possible???  i mean they have been SOOOOOO dominated.  doesn't compute.

kinda weird that they also have the same 2014 record as the mighty New York Yankees who are not "dominated"??  just plain weird man.  how is this possible??????

SMUG THAT.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like your style!  :-))

[/QUOTE]

Thanks S.  i have lived around these guys all my life.  no way am i letting a yankees fan get away with calling a sox fan "smug".  these guys (for the most part) are the smugest, most "entitled" fans in all of sport.  this yankees fan on a Red Sox board calling Sox fan "smug" is as hypocritical as the bleacher creatures chanting "you sold out" to robbie cano. 

not on my flippin' watch

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is what they call a market correction year. You didn't expect us to win it all again honestly, did you? I would rather play those three young players all year long and then make an assessment. Letting Ells go was a mistake, like Beltre - a winner who plays at a high level and is a game changer. Do we have any of those players left? Shoot Salty was quite walk off worthy in his own way and we let him walk for mlb pennies. Maybe Ben was reading too many of HFX's loving posts and getting swell-headed, I dunno. But we are seriously weakened up the middle this year and that is Baseball winning 101. Furthermore given the ages of our starters, I fully expect one or two to go done for a while as the season wears on. Shane is no spring chicken, Grady is a shell of his former self, Nava/Gomes/Carp are the 3 Horsemen of mediocrity. Papi is our big gun and at his age his stats reflect reality - he is nowhere near elite anymore in production. Napoli is sort of the man now and he is ticking time bomb of german shephard hip misalignment. Oh and I think Magic Koji is no more. He still amazes me given his 80's fastball but that wasnt going to last forever either. Lots of holes my friends so watch the young-uns and root for them because if they can improve, we have a nice nucleus to build on. If not, we will have to become the yanks next year or be cellar dwellers. Forecast is cloudy right now at best.

As always - 100% correct!

[/QUOTE]

Nicely stated, georom.  Wrong, of course, but nicely stated.  Ellsbury was the game changer one time, 2011, and we all know how that turned out.  Right now his WAR ranks him 9th in the AL among centerfielders vs. Bradley who is ranked 10th. Ells has 1 more rbi than Bradley and 3 more runs scored, but Bradley is easily the better outfielder.  Right now, those two are a wash except that the Yankees are paying a king's ransom for Ellsbury.  Pierzynski is every bit as good a catcher and hitter as Salty plus he is on a one year contract to make room for some pretty good prospects at Portland/Pawtucket.  And let's not forget that the Sox do not win the WS with Saltalamacchia as the catcher.  They lost both games with him behind the plate and won all four with Ross.  I kind of like Pierzynski, Pedroia, and Bradley up the middle.  While I agree the big hitters ain't hitting big yet--except for Napoli, of course--I think they will.  Meanwhile, the youth movement has not prevented the Sox from being tied in the AL East with the free spending Yankees.  Ellsbury is one year younger than Sizemore and 3 younger than Vic, and Gomes is hitting about the same as last year.  You can only hope the rotation will all go on the DL.  So far every single start has been by one of the original five starters--Lester, Lackey, Peavy, Doubront, and Buchholz.  Because of them and an excellent bullpen--Uehara is as good as ever, thanks for your concern--the Sox pitching is excellent and the key to winning so far.  In fact, right now the Sox have the best pitching in the AL East.  And the hope is the hitting will come around.  We do agree however that this is the season in which to find our what MBR, JBJ, and Bogaerts can do.  Impressions only, but I think JBJ will stick in CF, Bogaerts will stick and very likely at SS, and Middlebrooks will or will not prove out by mid-July if not sooner.  At the same time, the Sox have the money and the prospects to make a deal for a big bat if they can find one that doesn't cost the world.  The Yankees, it should be noted, decided their biggest bat, Cano, was too expensive.  Hence their haste to sign a not so big bat, but nevertheless an exciting player, Ellsbury.    If you are the Yankees, you must replenish the marquee players whether or not they bring you victories. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Huh? Um. No. Joe didn't say that once, never mind 'how many times'. In fact, I never heard that from anyone. at all.

He's probably quoting from memory, but it wasn't quite accurate.  What I said, quite logically, is that when you are the best team in BB, there are less areas in which to improve.  I'm not bashing the NYY, but they had a few huge holes.  It's a whole lot easier to spend $175,000,000 for a prospective ace when you don't have on than if you do have one.  Same as when you have no catcher of CF, or prospects to replace them.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is one of the worst hitting Red Sox teams that I have ever watched. Every game is a struggle with hitting the ball. I heard Larry Luchinno say well, we have had injuries. Now that Middlebrooks and Victorino are back, what's the excuse now ? They did not want to pay Ellsbury the money that he was looking for, so they replaced him with a major league minimum salaried player, Jackie Bradley Junior who flat cannot hit a baseball. He looks like a defensive replacement at best. The other alternative was to pick up Grady Sizemore who has been out of baseball two years because they realized that Bradley was not what they thought he was.  

Middle brooks ls what he is a .220 hitter making a little more than major league minimum who hits an occasional mistake. Oh yeah, I read the stories about his vision and the contact lenses helping him. What happened with that ? Victorino has had a lot of injuries and they look like they are catching up on him.

Every time I see a ball hit to Baeggerts, I cringe and he is not exactly ripping the cover off of the ball like Luchinno said he was going to do. This team had trouble scoring runs against the Cincinnati Reds at home, really pathetic. 

They also lost the production of Saltalamachia's and replaced him with an aging catcher who looks like he is at the end as well. The way this team over rates their hitting, I have reservations about seeing that catcher from Pawtucket they are high on.

Nava has reverted to what he has been his whole career, a journeyman outfielder and has been sent to the minor leagues. Management had to have been out of their minds thinking he was going to do what he did last year. I am still laughing at the fact they wanted to put him in the lead off position because of his on base percentage, comical.

Bucholtz I have yet to figure out what is wrong with him, but he wins a game looks good and reverts back to mediocre again along with diminished velocity.  Doubrount, who I thought was going to build on his playoff run last year, has reverted to mediocre again. This team should have been in on Tanaka or Darvish a couple of years ago. Instead they are licking their wounds from a Japanese pitcher who burned them several years ago and back off again.

Team went from worst to first last year and are they are reverting back to worst again. I think they will be lucky to win 82 games. That is some way to defend your title. Is management giving the fans any breaks on ticket prices, concessions, and parking in Boston to see this mediocre product they put together ?

[/QUOTE] Clearly the Sox aren't playing good ball. Their luckly the ALE is as weak as it is. The good news is the Sox have (unlike their east rivals) a system in place to bring up talented kids as they develop. You can expect the Sox to win more WSC's going forward. No other team in the east has that support system. That said 2014 imo belongs to the Tigers.

Sections
Shortcuts