Patience

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dblock33644. Show dblock33644's posts

Patience

The red sox organization and fans need patience potentially having one of the higher payrolls in baseball just to shut the fans up is crazy. I think we need a bridge year, and it should be now. I think they should fill holes with short term contracts 1,2 year deals and let the prospects develop. sihn laroche or napoli and haren amd the two japenese pitchers and th rest of gaps should be filled in house. i say give iglesias and kalish a shot and see what you have really have with your young guys.get another outfielder and see what happens. having one of the bigger payrolls in baseball like cherrington is proposing is not the answer. i think we tried that last year and look were it got us.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Patience

Its ok to have a large payroll as long as the $$ is spent more wisely than in the past.

But I agree that some folks here need to understand the FA process can take some time. there are 25 other teams that have not made any "big deals" yet, not just the Sox.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Its ok to have a large payroll as long as the $$ is spent more wisely than in the past.

But I agree that some folks here need to understand the FA process can take some time. there are 25 other teams that have not made any "big deals" yet, not just the Sox.

[/QUOTE]

Here is my thing, many of the good ones will be gone by the time the new season ticket orders are in. I am worried with our GMs track record and his recognization of talent or lack of.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to dblock33644's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The red sox organization and fans need patience potentially having one of the higher payrolls in baseball just to shut the fans up is crazy. I think we need a bridge year, and it should be now. I think they should fill holes with short term contracts 1,2 year deals and let the prospects develop. sihn laroche or napoli and haren amd the two japenese pitchers and th rest of gaps should be filled in house. i say give iglesias and kalish a shot and see what you have really have with your young guys.get another outfielder and see what happens. having one of the bigger payrolls in baseball like cherrington is proposing is not the answer. i think we tried that last year and look were it got us.

[/QUOTE]

We went with the prospects last year after the trade.  Look where we wound up.  If you want to fill all holes internally (operate like a small market team), then you can expect small market team results.  Thats a 2 yr competitive window, follow by 10 yrs of stinking.  Teams like the Royals, Padres, Indians, Pirates all follow the model you suggest.  IF you want to operate like them , you can expect similar results.

Detroit has a large payroll.  Texas has a large payroll.  Yankees have a large payroll.  These are the three most sucessful AL teams over the last couple of years.  There is a correlation between payroll and success.

We shouldnt make rushed / foolish decisions.  However, deciding that you are going to fill all your holes internally is also a rushed / foolish decision.  We should weigh all of our options and if the best option is an expensive FA, we should pull the trigger.  Being able to sign FA is our competitive advantage.  Baseball is a business, and exploiting your competitive advantage is good business.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to dblock33644's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We went with the prospects last year after the trade.  Look where we wound up.  If you want to fill all holes internally (operate like a small market team), then you can expect small market team results.  Thats a 2 yr competitive window, follow by 10 yrs of stinking.  Teams like the Royals, Padres, Indians, Pirates all follow the model you suggest.  IF you want to operate like them , you can expect similar results.

Detroit has a large payroll.  Texas has a large payroll.  Yankees have a large payroll.  These are the three most sucessful AL teams over the last couple of years.  There is a correlation between payroll and success.

We shouldnt make rushed / foolish decisions.  However, deciding that you are going to fill all your holes internally is also a rushed / foolish decision.  We should weigh all of our options and if the best option is an expensive FA, we should pull the trigger.  Being able to sign FA is our competitive advantage.  Baseball is a business, and exploiting your competitive advantage is good business.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[/QUOTE]

Hi Drew, 

I agree in part but not completely. Yes we can sign an occasonal high priced free agent and good quality veteran players but you also need to have a mix of young players coming up from within the organization. Just signing expensive free agents is tricky business. 

Hetch

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hi Drew, 

I agree in part but not completely. Yes we can sign an occasonal high priced free agent and good quality veteran players but you also need to have a mix of young players coming up from within the organization. Just signing expensive free agents is tricky business. 

Hetch

[/QUOTE]

100% agree.  Expensive FA's should be the last piece of the puzzle.  But we have Pedey, Lester, and Buchholz in their prime and signed to good deals.   We have Middlebrooks playing for peanuts next year.  We have two high K pitchers on rookie deals (Doubie, De La Rosa).  I think that we are in a stage where we should look to compliment these players w free agents.  If you are always bridging to the future , the future will never come.  I feel like some youth worshipers do not grasp this.  There is no pt in bridging to your current prospects, if you are going to just  bridge to the next crop once the current crop arrives. 

Pedey, Lester, Buchholz, De La Rosa, Doubront, Middlebrooks are going to have big roles in 2013.  I am not advocating for a team of 100% free agents.  But I do think that there are free agents out there (Napoli) and trade options available that can compliment.

I dont feel like this team is as far out from competing as some.  I think w/ a couple of smart moves we can compete for one of 5 AL playoff spots.

Good post,  Hetch

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from baddad. Show baddad's posts

Re:wake up people

i am not concerned about spending mr henrys money .....he can well afford it...i am concerned about winning...and that is the concept......winning.......we will not win simply cuz we shed salary...we will win if we have the talent on the field playing......right now we just dont have the talent....period....the only way to get that talent is to acquie it....either by trade or by free agency....free agency will be the easiest and least risky way to aquire it...when we shredded our salary we also shredded talent..the loss.of...gonzalez as i  said before is a huge huge  subtraction that must be replaced to win.....scuturo also a loss...as will ross be if he leaves and if hes not adeqeutly replaced... its not my money that was saved..ticket prices havent gone down....yes beckett was an idiot but poor leadership and management cost us the playoffs in2010....not just beckett...with crawford only time will tell..we are not a better team just cuz beckett and crawford are gone...because so is agon....actually we are a much worse team then when they were here along with paplbon and reddick...if anything we shoul have added to the team at the break last year....luxary tax or not....henry can well afford it..we should have added what we needed to win while we still had a chance....i dont want to be the marlins...i dont want henry to be harrington or cherinton to be the next dan daquette...we the fans bring the revenue...we deserve to have a team worth watching......wake up people

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Would you go after another aging (38) knuckleballer--RA Dickey--CY Young winner RA Dickey--he's won 39 games the last three years--like Wake, ate a lot of innings, a 2.73 in the NL East--2013 Salary $5 M--last year of contract.

Mets are looking for prospects---maybe they'll take Beato back---go for it Ben--maybe Pimental or Britton--probably none of them will ever see the Sox rotation.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Would you go after another aging (38) knuckleballer--RA Dickey--CY Young winner RA Dickey--he's won 39 games the last three years--like Wake, ate a lot of innings, a 2.73 in the NL East--2013 Salary $5 M--last year of contract.

Mets are looking for prospects---maybe they'll take Beato back---go for it Ben--maybe Pimental or Britton--probably none of them will ever see the Sox rotation.

[/QUOTE]

For 1 year or Dickey? I wouldnt give up much at all...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Thinking of John Tomase's article from the other day, would this exhibit patience or being over the top crazy?

Siign a group of FA who might want to improve their situation and have in their cotract no offer for Arb for 2014 similar to Carlos Beltran's situation with the Giants. They are 0ne year Mercenaries with the Sox. Overpay for one year--the young kids get an extra year in the minors. It would definitely sell tickets and who knows how the season would end up.

Hamilton--$30 M

Swisher--$22 M

Haren $17 M

Kuroda $17 M

LaRoche $15 M

Soriano $15 M

Trade Bailey, Ells, Lavarnway, Lester, Breslow, Sweeney, Lackey for a starting SS and another starting pitcher and  prospects.

LaRoche, Pedroia, Iggy/Ciriaco, Middlebrooks, Swisher, Hamillton, Brentz, D. Ross, Ortiz

Batting Order: Pedroia, Swisher, Hamilton, Ortiz, Middle, LaRoche, D.Ross, Brentz, Iggy

Rotation: Kuroda, Haren, Buch, Doubie, Holland, Morales.

Pen: Soriano, Melancon, Miller, Rubby, Aceves, Atch, Hill.

Bench: Ciriaco, Salty, Gomez

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'd trade Wakefield and some potato salad for one year of Dickey.

[/QUOTE]

Potato salad is that with eggs or w/o eggs. I like my potato salad with eggs and fresh chives. If you can do that for me and throw in some hamburgers to sweeten the deal.  What the hell I want to be greedy some apple pies also. I can't forget about the macaroni and cheese. I think this will be a good trade for myself. LOL

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to baddad's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i am not concerned about spending mr henrys money .....he can well afford it...i am concerned about winning...and that is the concept......winning.......we will not win simply cuz we shed salary...we will win if we have the talent on the field playing......right now we just dont have the talent....period....the only way to get that talent is to acquie it....either by trade or by free agency....free agency will be the easiest and least risky way to aquire it...when we shredded our salary we also shredded talent..the loss.of...gonzalez as i  said before is a huge huge  subtraction that must be replaced to win.....scuturo also a loss...as will ross be if he leaves and if hes not adeqeutly replaced... its not my money that was saved..ticket prices havent gone down....yes beckett was an idiot but poor leadership and management cost us the playoffs in2010....not just beckett...with crawford only time will tell..we are not a better team just cuz beckett and crawford are gone...because so is agon....actually we are a much worse team then when they were here along with paplbon and reddick...if anything we shoul have added to the team at the break last year....luxary tax or not....henry can well afford it..we should have added what we needed to win while we still had a chance....i dont want to be the marlins...i dont want henry to be harrington or cherinton to be the next dan daquette...we the fans bring the revenue...we deserve to have a team worth watching......wake up people

[/QUOTE]

The Marlins spent a ton of money last year and won 69 games, the Angels spent a ton of money last year and finished in 3rd place, out of the playoffs.  The Sox spent a ton of money prior to the 2011 season and didn't make the playoffs, the Mets have always had one of the higher payrolls and haven't done anything in years.  Do you see where this is going?  Throwing a bunch of money at the problem doesn't work.  The Sox will spend money if they think it makes sense now, and in the future, but throwing a bunch of money at guys who don't quite fit will just make the situation worse.  The Dodgers gave the Sox a gift, it would be irresponsible to throw that money away just to appease fans who think you need guys with great "fantasy league" numbers to win a Championship..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thinking of John Tomase's article from the other day, would this exhibit patience or being over the top crazy?

Siign a group of FA who might want to improve their situation and have in their cotract no offer for Arb for 2014 similar to Carlos Beltran's situation with the Giants. They are 0ne year Mercenaries with the Sox. Overpay for one year--the young kids get an extra year in the minors. It would definitely sell tickets and who knows how the season would end up.

Hamilton--$30 M

Swisher--$22 M

Haren $17 M

Kuroda $17 M

LaRoche $15 M

Soriano $15 M

Trade Bailey, Ells, Lavarnway, Lester, Breslow, Sweeney, Lackey for a starting SS and another starting pitcher and  prospects.

LaRoche, Pedroia, Iggy/Ciriaco, Middlebrooks, Swisher, Hamillton, Brentz, D. Ross, Ortiz

Batting Order: Pedroia, Swisher, Hamilton, Ortiz, Middle, LaRoche, D.Ross, Brentz, Iggy

Rotation: Kuroda, Haren, Buch, Doubie, Holland, Morales.

Pen: Soriano, Melancon, Miller, Rubby, Aceves, Atch, Hill.

Bench: Ciriaco, Salty, Gomez

[/QUOTE]

And wind up in the exact position this time next year?  No thanks. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Until August the Sox were one of the high payroll players...and was it getting them???

Plus they went with prospects last year mostly due to injuries...granted they did nothing last offseason to improve the team that was at at the luxury tax limit from the start...to ownership, 2012 was about Fenway Park...the team was second.

The chemistry of that team between the players, manager and ownership was atrociuos, so they were doomed from the start.

Thinking that the Sox are trying to be a small market team is being simpleminded. This topic is spot on that we need to be patient and let the free agent process play out...hopefully the Sox will get their fair share of talent...it may not be the choices that everyone agrees to, but it will hopefully make them competitive and enjoyable to watch again.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Until August the Sox were one of the high payroll players...and was it getting them???

Plus they went with prospects last year mostly due to injuries...granted they did nothing last offseason to improve the team that was at at the luxury tax limit from the start...to ownership, 2012 was about Fenway Park...the team was second.

The chemistry of that team between the players, manager and ownership was atrociuos, so they were doomed from the start.

Thinking that the Sox are trying to be a small market team is being simpleminded. This topic is spot on that we need to be patient and let the free agent process play out...hopefully the Sox will get their fair share of talent...it may not be the choices that everyone agrees to, but it will hopefully make them competitive and enjoyable to watch again.

[/QUOTE]

Also, some need to realize that just because the Sox want a certain player doesnt guarentee they will get him. Also doesnt mean they arent trying to get him.

Players will go where the highest bidder is 95% of the time. This process can take a couple months, so some folks here are going to have to learn to have a little patience...Although Im sure that wont stop them from constantly complaining that the whole team isnt completed yet.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But you arent addressing the inarguable points in my post.

Would you argue that the Rangers, NYY, and Tigers havent been successful in recent years?  (you'd be wrong).  Would you argue that there success has nothing to do w expensive free agent acquisitions? (You'd be wrong).  You cant look at one year, riddled w terrible contracts , and hang your hat on that season as evidence that spending money doesnt help.  It helps.

I'm not saying to go make splashy signings and throw money around like its nothing.  BUt talking about our 2015 team w/ 9 players from the farm (6 of which are probably not going to make the majors) is to far the other way.

The Sox need to trust their scouts.  And if their scouts tell them that a player is a fit, they should use their competitive advantage ($$$) and be aggressive. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]

Would you argue that the Rangers, NYY, and Tigers havent been successful in recent years?  (you'd be wrong).  Would you argue that there success has nothing to do w expensive free agent acquisitions? (You'd be wrong).  You cant look at one year, riddled w terrible contracts , and hang your hat on that season as evidence that spending money doesnt help.  It helps.

I'm not saying to go make splashy signings and throw money around like its nothing.  BUt talking about our 2015 team w/ 9 players from the farm (6 of which are probably not going to make the majors) is to far the other way.

The Sox need to trust their scouts.  And if their scouts tell them that a player is a fit, they should use their competitive advantage ($$$) and be aggressive. 

[/QUOTE]

And my point was that the Sox were just like Detroit. Texas and NY and look where it got them? What about the Marlins and Mets and other big spenders?? It doesn't always fit buying the big name players.

But what I interrupt you are saying is this...if the Sox like a player and think he can fit to fill their needs, that they should OVERPAY...because, to me, that's the defintion of being aggressive!

That same attitude is what drives the Softlaw's on this board that will be all over Cherington if the overpaid free agent doesn't pan out...and the truth of the matter is it is the PLAYER that dictates whether he'll succeed or not...just ask Adrian Beltre versus Edgar Renteria.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And my point was that the Sox were just like Detroit. Texas and NY and look where it got them? What about the Marlins and Mets and other big spenders?? It doesn't always fit buying the big name players.

But what I interrupt you are saying is this...if the Sox like a player and think he can fit to fill their needs, that they should OVERPAY...because, to me, that's the defintion of being aggressive!

That same attitude is what drives the Softlaw's on this board that will be all over Cherington if the overpaid free agent doesn't pan out...and the truth of the matter is it is the PLAYER that dictates whether he'll succeed or not...just ask Adrian Beltre versus Edgar Renteria.

[/QUOTE]

There are certainly situations where it makes sense to overpay.  Agreed that sometimes a GM will overpay for a player, it wont work out, and the GM will absorb too much blame.  The TIgers overpaid for VMART and it hasnt completely worked out (due to injury).  I still think it was a smart move to get him though.

Of course spending money doesnt guarantee results.  There will always be at least 2 big spending teams that underwelm.  This proves that winning and payroll arent 100% correlated.  However , just because there isnt a 100% correlation between payroll sucess doesnt mean that there isnt any correlation.

There is indeed a correlation.  And when it makes sense to spend, the sox should spend.  My summarized point is: Dont let past mistakes scare you into operating like a small market team.  Because big market teams are generally  more successful.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from baddad. Show baddad's posts

guys with great fantasy league numbers usually translate ...actually always translate to great real life numbers as far as hitting and usually pitching  goes......the fantasy is the concept of owning your own team the batting numbers and pitching stats are quie real......check out miguel  cabrera or trout fantasy league  numbers ......look at verlanders fantasy league numbers....gee they match his real numbers.....good fantasy numbers equal good real life numbers...put ennuff of them on the same team and you usually win...except for fielding the numbers are obviously based on reality......the fantasy league numbers of the 2011 red sox would be pathetic.......just like the real team was......

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from baddad. Show baddad's posts

obviously i meant the 2012 red sox team

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There are certainly situations where it makes sense to overpay.  Agreed that sometimes a GM will overpay for a player, it wont work out, and the GM will absorb too much blame.  The TIgers overpaid for VMART and it hasnt completely worked out (due to injury).  I still think it was a smart move to get him though.

Of course spending money doesnt guarantee results.  There will always be at least 2 big spending teams that underwelm.  This proves that winning and payroll arent 100% correlated.  However , just because there isnt a 100% correlation between payroll sucess doesnt mean that there isnt any correlation.

There is indeed a correlation.  And when it makes sense to spend, the sox should spend.  My summarized point is: Dont let past mistakes scare you into operating like a small market team.  Because big market teams are generally  more successful.

[/QUOTE]

So I'm curious Drewski, what players in this years free agency crop would you overpay for. both in dollars and years?

Personally I'd stay miles away from Hamilton and Greinke...and there's only a couple of FA's I'd give more than 2 year deals to. One being Anibal Sanchez.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So I'm curious Drewski, what players in this years free agency crop would you overpay for. both in dollars and years?

Personally I'd stay miles away from Hamilton and Greinke...and there's only a couple of FA's I'd give more than 2 year deals to. One being Anibal Sanchez.

[/QUOTE]

Nobody.  I said that there are times when it makes sense to overpay.  This isnt one of those times.

I'd sign Napoli, but I dont think we'd have to overpay to get him.  I think he's actually underrated and devalued. His career OPS is a tick shy of AGONS, better than Pedeys, blows Torii hunters out of the water, better than Morneaus...He's a really good hitter, who would rake at fenway park.  He draws walks , can play multiple positison.  Id bring him in.  Id be willing to go 4 years 52M, but i dont think its an overpay