Paul Maholm may be a sleeper pick-up as a 4 or 5 starter

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Paul Maholm may be a sleeper pick-up as a 4 or 5 starter

Look up his stats when you have a chance. Granted he's been with the Pirates but he's a pretty good competitor.

He's got a solid era--he's a lefty--he beat the Sox last June in Pittsburg.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Re: Paul Maholm may be a sleeper pick-up as a 4 or 5 starter

I like the thought on a guy like Maholm to fill out the back end, I have to say I really know nothing about him, but his numbers scare me a bit.  Looks like last year was by far his best year statisically, but his career WHIP is 1.4 and ERA has been over 5.00 in the past, those numbers scare me for a guy moving from the N.L. to the A.L.  But again, I know nothing about the guy and if he actually turned a corner last year with a 3.50 ERA and 1.2 WHIP than he is worth a look.

Looks like Pitt has a 9 million dollar option on him, are they definitely not exercising that, I mean it would be like 20% of their payroll :) 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

I agree with thesemen, in that his career numbers are not good at all and moving those to the ALE would be high risk indeed. Pass.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Paul Maholm may be a sleeper pick-up as a 4 or 5 starter:
    [QUOTE]Look up his stats when you have a chance. Granted he's been with the Pirates but he's a pretty good competitor. http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/maholpa01.shtml He's got a solid era--he's a lefty--he beat the Sox last June in Pittsburg.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]  "YAWN"  !!!!   YUK,YUK,YUK .......Wink

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Agreed. Maholm is a solid pithcer. Remember he beat us this year in Pitt. He might work as a 4 or 5.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

He has a 4.36 careeer era in the NL.  As much as I would like to say it might work you have to add something to th era if he pitches in the AL.  Like a half a run anyway.  It would be an interesting move but we need to get 5 guys like Maholms and maybe one would pan out.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Maholm is available, but he has had arm trouble. Hi risk, low upside, IMO. Pass.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Paul Maholm may be a sleeper pick-up as a 4 or 5 starter:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Paul Maholm may be a sleeper pick-up as a 4 or 5 starter : ...and he'll only cost $2-3M more than Wake.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I wonder if that is because Wake has no upside?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Wastefield cost almost 4M in 2011. Offer Maholm 1M and incentives for more than 12 starts up to max of 2.5M for 17 or more starts.

Kick Wastefield parasite back to Pittsburgh.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]He has a 4.36 careeer era in the NL.  As much as I would like to say it might work you have to add something to th era if he pitches in the AL.  Like a half a run anyway.  It would be an interesting move but we need to get 5 guys like Maholms and maybe one would pan out.   
    Posted by Mchampion[/QUOTE]

...and he'll only cost $2-3M more than Wake.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]Wastefield cost almost 4M in 2011. Offer Maholm 1M and incentives for more than 12 starts up to max of 2.5M for 17 or more starts. Kick Wastefield parasite back to Pittsburgh.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

He may be done but don't you think he deserves better treatment than to say that? I don't want him back on the team either, but good grief, he did a lot for this team in the last 16 years. How well could YOU pitch in MLB at age 42?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

If I made 55 million, I would expect to pitch better than Wastefield or be released before I reached 45 and looked pregnant.

Wakefield will not simply retire with grace. He keeps begging and playing on sympathy for what he did many years ago, which really had zero highlight and a lot of lowlights. I certainly hope the sight of Wakefield tipping his cap after giving up a grand slam because of some cumalitive individual team innings notch is the last time most Red Sox fans have to suffer through this laughing stock.

Why not give Wakefield a lifetime contract, since he said only he will decide when he retires. May as well cart him out at 70 years old, as it can't be much worse than 2010 and 2011 ceremonial circus act.

I notice, for the first time, the Boston beat media and management showing some timidity in even mentioning the frightening thought of Cherington offering FA MLB contract to Wakefield. Entitlement and charity are the words that come to mind.

Mike Lowell should have settled and retired at the end of 2010, but he hardly burned up all his good will by whining about his bench non-role in 2010.

Wakefield has nuked any good will he built up. The last 2 years have been absurd, and just a molecule of pride would have lead any mortal understanding mind to retire. Instead, Wakefield starts 2011 by whining about his role. He ends it, right after epic collapse that Wakefield ceremonial tour was a major cause of, and states that fans deserve the opportunity to see him break a record. Not once did he comment about his horrible performance over the last two years, and the fact that he is useless out of then pen and a zero confidence starter.

Had Wakefield retired at the end of 2009, he would be viewed in a different light.  Instead, he and his booster seat 2 year tour to try and break these team records should be source of great embarrassment for ownership. Ownership should have long since recognized that Wakefield has no business replacing Cy Young in any part of the record book. 7 more wins? That could take 2 years and another domino string of many team losses where 6 or more runs are usually required. 

Seriously folks, who wants to see Wakefield at 2012 spring training? Of long term veteran players under contract, only Ortiz earned a serious FA contract offer. Ortiz should be the final face from 2004 team to end Red Sox career, not Varitek (40) and Wakefield (45).

Cherington needs to offer an opening day retirement ceremony for Varitek and Wakefield, if they retire. And if Varitek wants to keep playing, he owes it to Red Sox fans and ownership to agree to turn down arbitration so the Red Sox can get some kind of draft pick if he plays elsewhere because as Type B it would not cost any team a pick if Varitek makes the MLB roster for another team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Per reading history of Maholm, I think Boston should sign him.  But Pittsburgh just turned down 9 million dollars option on Maholm.  Maholm was on DL this year for a strained shoulder problem, but that is his only DL of his life.  

But he was under .500 record for most of the times with the Pirates.  Still he won 10 games at least three times in his career.  Not sure what is his value due he played on a very bad team.  

I think that Boston should trying to sign him 2 years contract for 2 to 3 million dollars each plus maybe up to another 2 to 3 million dollars incentives such as to be a 15 games winner, etc. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I think an incentive laden contract would be one way of approaching Maholm. I would start a little higher---$4 M; that might get his agent's attention. I think playing for a team like the Sox or Yankees would be an ego boost for a kid having played in Pittsburg his entire pro career.

There are many of these pitchers out there as Mch said but all you need to do is find one. This is where I think Ben C. will be a huge help---he knows the players from his scouting and draft days. Find the diamonds in the rough. I don't mind signing FA this year to strengthen the positions we need strengthened--in addition by keeping the players on the farm it will bring out the competitive juices and we will then be able to cull out the players that are going to help.