Paul Maholm

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

Paul Maholm

Who knows something about Paul Maholm?  His stats are decent and he's young.  His W-L wasn't that good last year, but he was pitching for the Pirates.  I don't quite understand how the sox are looking at him as a "low cost starter".  He made $6+M last year.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2012/01/sox_after_low-c.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: Paul Maholm

Go for him Ben! I'm little bit concerned about the fact that he ended the season on DL but if rehab goes smoothly for him, then Maholm could be the guy in the 5th spot.  Lefty who gets guys out heavily on ground balls.  That's what we need in Fenway.  Hope he gets well soon and come to Boston next season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I mean, what is a big market team if it is not looting the Bucs organization?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In Response to Paul Maholm:
    [QUOTE]Who knows something about Paul Maholm?  His stats are decent and he's young.  His W-L wasn't that good last year, but he was pitching for the Pirates.  I don't quite understand how the sox are looking at him as a "low cost starter".  He made $6+M last year. http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2012/01/sox_after_low-c.html
    Posted by greenwellforpresident[/QUOTE]

He's a low cost starter comaparing to other pitchers available right now. EJ, Oswalt, Kuroda, Garza(Trade), even Saunders..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

....all of whom are too expensive unless we bust the cap or move some salary.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

I see he hits a fairly high number of batters, that alone makes him a good fit in Boston.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In Response to Re: Paul Maholm:
    [QUOTE]TTFBASEBALL: "Scouting report : Maholm is somewhat deceptive, throwing from a high three-quarter arm delivery. He’s a groundball pitcher. He is hard to run on, as well. He throws a fastball (low 90s),  solid slider, slow curvball and change-up, which is the closest to a plus pitch in his arsenal. Maholm is not a power pitcher and relies on his exceptional command, deep repertoire, deception and feel for pitching to be effective. He is a workhorse who’s known as a strong competitor and leader. He doesn’t have a plus pitch per se, and doesn’t miss as many bats as you would like from a front-of-the-rotation starter, which limits him to a solid middle-of-the-rotation pitcher. Right-handed bats can give him trouble."
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

Thanks.  I have to say 2.8 BB/9 doesn't quite sound like "exceptional command" to me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Probably better off just going with Doubront.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

He pitched well in the Sox / Pirates inter league series last summer.
    With the Sox offense his record could easily be reversed.
    I think a two year contract with a $5 M base and heavy incentives to potentially a cap of $10.5 M with a second year based on what he achieved the first year might appeal to him. In addition to a 3 rd year option.

Ross Ohlendorf, another former Yankee, and Pirate, Princeton Grad, might be your # 5 starter. Perhaps signed to a contract similar to Silva's with a ST invite.

I would think guys like Maholm, Silva and Ohlendorf would be salivating knowing the offensive weapons and the bullpen assistance in Boston.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

His lifetime WHIP of 1.42 is a bit scary and batters his +.260 against him last year. He has been durable and the fact that he pitched for the Pirates of course hurt his stats somewhat. At best, he would be an okay 5th starter, which we need.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya no kidding, might as well just start doubront. Maholm makes no sense for the sox. They need someone good. Adding mediocre pitchers is not going to help this team finish higher than 3rd place. As of right now we are marginally better than we were last year. I believe bailey is better than paps and melancon is an upgrade. But those two moves are not enough to right the ship. we have one of the most unreliable pitching staffs in the league. beckett you never know what kind of year you will get from him, buchholz is 27 has yet to pitch 200 innings in a season, and beyond that we have nothing at this point. Bard? who knows. he was aweful as a starter in the minors and taking him out of the pen hurts us more than it helps us, aceves? he was hit or miss all year in his starts. We need some good, someone who can count on. Get matt garza. He is the guy we need.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

A solid if unspectacular pitcher.  If his salary is equally unspectacular then I am all in.  Pick him up and trade off a couple of fringe guys out of options for low-medium level talent rather than just losing them.  We need depth, and guys out of options are not depth.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

At 29, he did bring his WHIP to 1.294, but your concern is genuine.

He also does very well vs LH'd batters: .593 OPS  (.807 vs RHPs)
    2011: 
    .714 vs RHPs
    .697 vs LHPs

I wouldn't pay him $6M, but maybe $7-9M/2.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

$6m for Paul Maholm?  Absolutely not.  Wakes is a better, and far cheaper, option. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]$6m for Paul Maholm?  Absolutely not.  Wakes is a better, and far cheaper, option. 
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars[/QUOTE]

Maholm is better but not cheaper.

(Just because Maholm was overpaid last year, does not mean he'll get $6M this year.)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I've followed the Reds for years in the NL Central, and I can tell you that Paul Maholm can be very nasty. If he's recovered fully from his injuries, the Sox could have a tiger by the tail. That of course, is a big IF, but he's got a solid upside especially if the price is low. Not a bad move to get him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]ya no kidding, might as well just start doubront. Maholm makes no sense for the sox. They need someone good. Adding mediocre pitchers is not going to help this team finish higher than 3rd place. As of right now we are marginally better than we were last year. I believe bailey is better than paps and melancon is an upgrade. But those two moves are not enough to right the ship. we have one of the most unreliable pitching staffs in the league. beckett you never know what kind of year you will get from him, buchholz is 27 has yet to pitch 200 innings in a season, and beyond that we have nothing at this point. Bard? who knows. he was aweful as a starter in the minors and taking him out of the pen hurts us more than it helps us, aceves? he was hit or miss all year in his starts. We need some good, someone who can count on. Get matt garza. He is the guy we need.
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

Are you playing Monopoly with a wheelbarrow full of the House's money and a boatload of tradeable prospects? If the pitching staff is as unreliable and questionable as you make it out to be then perhaps you should write off this year and take that cruise around the World that you've been putting off. If you want to play GM, take off your eye patch, remove your earplugs, take a bath, and get outside into some fresh air.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Paul Maholm was valued at 2.1 WAR* last season and 10.0 WAR over the past four years.

As a point of reference, Hiroki Kuroda was valued at 2.4 WAR last season and 12.2 WAR over the last four years.

Tim Wakefield was valued at 0.8 WAR last season and 6.2 WAR over the last four years.

Roy Oswalt was valued at 2.5 WAR last season and 13.7 WAR over the past four years.

Edwin Jackson was valued at 3.8 WAR last season and 12.5 WAR over the past four years.

Joe Saunders was valued at 1.0 WAR last season and 6.6 WAR over the past four years.

Matt Garza was valued at 5.0 WAR last season and 12.6 WAR over the past four years.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]Paul Maholm was valued at 2.1 WAR* last season and 10.0 WAR over the past four years. As a point of reference, Hiroki Kuroda was valued at 2.4 WAR last season and 12.2 WAR over the last four years. Tim Wakefield was valued at 0.8 WAR last season and 6.2 WAR over the last four years. Roy Oswalt was valued at 2.5 WAR last season and 13.7 WAR over the past four years. Matt Garza was valued at 5.0 WAR last season and 12.6 WAR over the past four years. * Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

So with limited $$$ to spend, you would recommend Maholm or Oswalt on a one year deal?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Paul Maholm : So with limited $$$ to spend, you would recommend Maholm or Oswalt on a one year deal?
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]
    I might pass on both because I would not want to exceed the luxury tax threshold. The Red Sox might want to set their sights lower and hope for the good fortune the Yankees scored last offseason with Freddy Garcia and Bartolo Colon.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Paul Maholm : I might pass on both because I would not want to exceed the luxury tax threshold. The Red Sox might want to set their sights lower and hope for the good fortune the Yankees scored last offseason with Freddy Garcia and Bartolo Colon.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

I agree.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]Paul Maholm was valued at 2.1 WAR* last season and 10.0 WAR over the past four years. As a point of reference, Hiroki Kuroda was valued at 2.4 WAR last season and 12.2 WAR over the last four years. Tim Wakefield was valued at 0.8 WAR last season and 6.2 WAR over the last four years. Roy Oswalt was valued at 2.5 WAR last season and 13.7 WAR over the past four years. Edwin Jackson was valued at 3.8 WAR last season and 12.5 WAR over the past four years. Joe Saunders was valued at 1.0 WAR last season and 6.6 WAR over the past four years. Matt Garza was valued at 5.0 WAR last season and 12.6 WAR over the past four years. * Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Yeah that sounds about right hill. Not a top shelf ace, but can be solid if healthy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Anyone heard what Maholm wants?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone heard what Maholm wants?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    On Dec. 21, ESPN columnist David Schoenfield projected a 2012 salary of $6.25 million for Paul Maholm (but curiously a 2012 WAR of only 1.5 for for the former Mississippi State teammate of Jonathan Papelbon).

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/tag/_/name/paul-maholm