Pawsox news

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Pawsox news

1st round of the playoff best of five, Pawsox took the game 1 against the Yankees minor league team Scranton.  Brentz hit his first AAA homerun (2R) to seal the win last night.  Linares and Andy LaRoche also homered.  We have good chance to see Brentz in 2013 season. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Pawsox news

THe PawSox win 3-2. Lead series 2-0. Move series to S-WB.

I think the Sox have their manager and coaching staff in Pawtucket.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I think Brentz will get moved this off-season.  Either him or Sands.  There is no reason to keep both...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I agree. For some reason I see brentz being the one "Killer B" who gets traded.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I certainly hope he would get dealt before Bradley or Bogaerts, although that does depend on who comes back.

The best chance we have of seeing Brentz is if Sands is dealt instead.  I have no loyalty to one over the other, and Sands is only one year older.  So I hope if they move one, the other one pans out...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Since we do have openings in LF and RF in 2013 and CF in 2014, maybe they both stay.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Possible, but I am hoping the Sox aim a little higher.  No team fills all its needs by throwing rookies out there.  At some pointm trades are going to be required.

And to be honst, I don't think either of these players will be anything but an average hitter at best.  Not that the Sox should avoid all average hitters, but the Sox might be able to parlay their youth and control into someone better...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I agree. We should and can do better.

We may keep both to fight the 4/5 OF'er slot ormaybe be the RH'd platoons with Sweeney in RF and Nava in LF if we lose out on the Ross sweepstakes.  I don't think this will happen, unless we totally treat 2013 as a bridge to 2014.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

People here have been calling for RHH Rf'er with pop. We have one in AAA now in Bryce Brentz. He been a 30hr guy in AA and hes already showing he can hit the long ball in AAA. Since being drafted, Brentz has been tearing it up through the system. I saw him play at M. Tenn. and was impressed then. Not sure why some here want to get rid of a kid who can be a .300 hitter with power and solid defense in RF and also has a cannon for an arm.
    I would look to trade Sands Long before I even consider Brentz. The kid is a keeper IMO. Bands is more a 1b/LF type. he wouldnt be that good in that expansive RF in Fenway IMO. Brentz could man RF at Fenway for a long time. Sure, all prospects dont pan out. But unless there is a hefty return then you keep the ones that show the most promise and Brentz should be given a shot in RF before hes considered in a trade. Yes, as you can see Im high on this kid, and for good reason as I was with Middlebrooks. And yes, I would rather give Brentz a shot instead of trading him for a J. Upton...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I agree.  I rather have Brentz than Upton in 2013.  We have promising young talents down at the minors.  It might be time to go with what we have, not trading for ones. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

BTW Brentz had 2 RBI hit in the bottom 8th to give the Pawsox the lead.  He's getting ready for the majors fast...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

People here have been calling for RHH Rf'er with pop. We have one in AAA now in Bryce Brentz. He been a 30hr guy in AA and hes already showing he can hit the long ball in AAA. Since being drafted, Brentz has been tearing it up through the system. I saw him play at M. Tenn. and was impressed then. Not sure why some here want to get rid of a kid who can be a .300 hitter with power and solid defense in RF and also has a cannon for an arm. 
    I would look to trade Sands Long before I even consider Brentz. The kid is a keeper IMO. Bands is more a 1b/LF type. he wouldnt be that good in that expansive RF in Fenway IMO. Brentz could man RF at Fenway for a long time. Sure, all prospects dont pan out. But unless there is a hefty return then you keep the ones that show the most promise and Brentz should be given a shot in RF before hes considered in a trade. Yes, as you can see Im high on this kid, and for good reason as I was with Middlebrooks. And yes, I would rather give Brentz a shot instead of trading him for a J. Upton...

You make some valid points, but don't always assume that because we mention trading someone, it means we don't like them or think they are over-rated. I would choose to keep Brentz over Sands if I had to choose right now, but my feeling is that so would other GMs looking to grab the best they can in a winter trade. I happen to like Bradley alot, and I'd prefer to trade Brentz over him, but that doesn't mean I do not think we may regret trading him.

I don't see any realistic way we strongly compete in 2013, unless we spend, spend, spend, so I can see giving many of these kids a shot at the bigs or year in a higher level of the minors to get a better feel for who has the best chance of being a future stud at low cost and longterm control. However, I do think we need to look at acquiring a solid player or two this winter who are under team control beyond 2014. I happen to think Justin Upton is poised to be one of the best players in MLB over the next 3 years. If it takes Brentz and other prospects not starting with a "B", then I'd do it. I think management needs to make a deal like that to keep fan interest high in 2013, but also to provide a known foundational piece to the future. I'm all for speculating on kids at several positions next year- Iggy and Ciriaco at SS, Lava at C, maybe Gomez at 1B, Sands, Nava, Brentz, and Kalish in LF or RF, but at one of those slots, we will almost certainly make a big splash via trade or signing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

We have seen Sweeney, Nava and Kalish. I haven't been impressed with any of them from a power standpoint.

Brentz has had back to back impressive seasons. He has hit for the cycle twice in AA. He has a fine arm. Swweeney would be the fifth OF. Kalish and Nava are throw ins in trades.
    Linares has shown well at AAA since his recall and done well in the two playoff games.

I would look to move Ells for pitching and install Bradley in CF with Brentz in RF and Ross in LF with Linares as the 4 th OF-Sands or Aviles as the super sub. Ciriaco as the SS.

There are teams out there that blocked Sands and Rubby DLR--if they have a great prospect, that's a better pitcher than Rubby, that's the only way I see him being moved. I see him in the starting rotation this season, if reports are accurate. Hopefully Barnes  enters  the rotation in 2014, if not sooner.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wanted to move Sweeney this summer, but he kinda ruined those plans.

I was for looking hard to deal Ellsbury for the right return long before the big deal that wrote off 2013. Now, it's a no brainer. Trade him this winter, before he loses the comp pick attachment value, and get someone who is under team control for 3+ years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Moon,
    I think out of all our prospects, the ones that have the most upside are the four B's...Barnes, Bradley, Bogaerts and Brentz. I would honestly wait to see what they have to offer us before letting them go for anyone...Especially Upton. Something about him I just dont trust. Id rather have a 24yr old slugger with just as much power from our own system than him. Thats just me though. Those 4 are going to be solid ballplayers IMO. Now, if Upton had been consistant and without attitude issues so far, then maybe. But he hasnt been without either. Brentz could be ready in 2013. Ill deal with the learning curve. Middy's learning curve wasnt too bad and I dont think it will take long for Brentz to adjust either. He has at every level so far fairly quickly. Hes a smart ballplayer.
    If I were to give up some prospects, it would be for Trumbo to play 1b. If the Angels would even deal him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Fair enough.

If you had to trade one of the "Bs", which would it be?

As for Upton's implied inconsistency, he has been between .799 and .899 OPS for his first 4 years from age 20-23. He played hurt for part of this year and is at .754 now. He has 3 HRs his last 50 ABs.

He averages about 62 extra base hits per 650 PAs.

He's between .800 and .900 vs LHPs and RHPs.

He's at a career .828 OPS at age 24 with almost 3,000 MLB PAs so far.

.828 1st half.
    .828 2nd half.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

We don't need Upton.  We will have strong young OF in near future, maybe starting to see some of them as early as 2013.  Jerry Sands at LF, Jackie Bradley Jr. at CF, and Bryce Brentz at RF.  We shouldn't ruin the perfect picture out there.  Speedy CF with glove and good OBP potentially 10 HR, 30+ SB, future leadoff guy for Sox for seasons to come.  Two young corner OFs with strong arms and good defensive skills with power bats, potentially 30+ HRs for both.  This is the near future of the Red Sox OFers.  We don't need to pay for one.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Fair enough.

If you had to trade one of the "Bs", which would it be?

As for Upton's implied inconsistency, he has been between .799 and .899 OPS for his first 4 years from age 20-23. He played hurt for part of this year and is at .754 now. He has 3 HRs his last 50 ABs.

He averages about 62 extra base hits per 650 PAs.

He's between .800 and .900 vs LHPs and RHPs.

He's at a career .828 OPS at age 24 with almost 3,000 MLB PAs so far.

.828 1st half.
    .828 2nd half.

I think the better question is WHO would we be trading for in order for me to consider one of the B's. Honestly, I think Brentz can give you a 800+ OPS, maybe even 900 once the adjustments take place. Im not one to be "in love" or "overvalue" the prospects. I fully understand the reality. I just like what Ive seen up close and Live from him and also what i hear from him in interviews, the way he talks about the game and what he needs to do. he understands. Hes a ballplayer, Like Middlebrooks.
    So I guess back to you...Who are we talking about trading for?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I guess I wonder why you think Brentz will automatically be better than Sands, and Sands is expendable.

In the minors, Sands did have an advantage by playing in the PCL, so we can ignore his obvious power advantage as having some league factors.

He is only one year older, but has shown to be a much, much more patient hitter with better selection than Brentz. Sands strikes out 1.77 times for every walk. Brentz strikes out 3.21 times for every walk. Consequently, Sands is flat out better at getting on base (re: not making outs). Sands also has a quicker, more compact swing than Brentz, and a better approach at the plate.

Brentz has clear defensive advantages, and is capable of playing RF. However, you greatly overstate that he has shown the ability to hit HRs at AAA (assuming that skill is worth anything), since he has 1. Brentz hasn’t shown the ability to hit anything at AAA just yet, in a very small and inconclusive sample size.

Its not exactly out of the realm of possibility that Brentz’ MLB equivalent as a hitter is Delmon Young. Granted, you have to look at Young for what he is, and not what everyone expected him to be. But if that is the case, is Brentz worth holding on to over Sands? I look at Sands and my best comparison for him offensively (not defensively) is Matt Joyce. Interestingly, you could probably reverse both of these comparisons for defense. If these were to hold true (which may or may not happen), which do you prefer as an all-around player? Field like Joyce and hit like Young, or the reverse? Three really is no wrong answer; its a matter of preference and need.

And remember, the purpose of trades is to make your team better, not to run the undesirables out of town. Just because a team trades a player does not necessarily mean they think he is no good or a bad fit. An argument could be made that Brentz is a better fit based on defensive skillset, but the same argument could be made for Sands offense, too.

Personally, I think next year Sands is on the bench in Boston and Brentz is in RF at Pawtucket. But that doesn’t change the fact that one of them could easily be dealt, too…

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

PawSox blow a 3-0 lead lose to S-WB Yankees. Walkoff 2 run homer.
    PawSox lead series 2-1.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I like Brentz as a prospect but he is a fastball hitter to the nth degree with little plate discipline and he's 24 years old already just starting AAA ball. He is not a friend of off speed stuff and that is what he is going to see non stop until he proves he can hit it. He might be solid and he might be at best a 4th or 5th OF. We just don't know. He by no means a sure thing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think the better question is WHO would we be trading for in order for me to consider one of the B's. Honestly, I think Brentz can give you a 800+ OPS, maybe even 900 once the adjustments take place. Im not one to be "in love" or "overvalue" the prospects. I fully understand the reality. I just like what Ive seen up close and Live from him and also what i hear from him in interviews, the way he talks about the game and what he needs to do. he understands. Hes a ballplayer, Like Middlebrooks. 

Are you running for office? Nice non answer.

OK, here's one:

Brentz, Nava, Aviles, and Ranaudo

for

Yavani Gallardo (
    13 :$7.75M,  14 :$11.25M,  15 :$13M club option ($0.6M buyout)  )

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The one thing about BenC is he has seen many, many, scouting reports, he has seen many of the 19 to 29 year olds we are talking about. 
    If he felt Webster,Sands and RubbyDLR were amoungst the best prospects available and he could have rejected them for others, I feel his judgement on talent is in the 85 or above %tile---i would trust we got three pretty good kids. 
    If he feels he could parlay them or some of our best farmhands into a better player or two I would also trust his judgement.

I would like to see what Sands, Bradley and Brentz with Linares as the 4 OF'der; moving Ross to the RH DH, PH, 5 th of'der.      Perhaps there is a Trout in  the waters of New England--sometimes you have to  troll and find the right fishing hole.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Are you running for office? Nice non answer.

Lol..Dont like politics, but yeah answering your question with a question is rather politician like isnt it...I just wanted to see who you were thinking of trading him for. The obvious answer would be yes to trading anyone. Just all depends on what we would be getting in return.

OK, here's one:

Brentz, Nava, Aviles, and Ranaudo

for

Yavani Gallardo (
    13 :$7.75M,  14 :$11.25M,  15 :$13M club option ($0.6M buyout)  )

Now that I would def consider. Young pitcher ,3 yrs on a team friendly contract...When you mention trading Brentz for Upton It seems redundant to me. When you talk about solid starting pitching for the next 3 yrs, thats a different story.
    The amount of HR he has given up the last couple years is something to look at (50, and this years isnt over yet). Lots of K's and a lot of hits. Not  sure if they would care for any of them besides Brentz though. If I were their GM I would ask for Brentz, Britton, and Vinicio.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts