Pawsox news

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Pawsox news

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Moon,
    I think out of all our prospects, the ones that have the most upside are the four B's...Barnes, Bradley, Bogaerts and Brentz. I would honestly wait to see what they have to offer us before letting them go for anyone...Especially Upton. Something about him I just dont trust. Id rather have a 24yr old slugger with just as much power from our own system than him. Thats just me though. Those 4 are going to be solid ballplayers IMO. Now, if Upton had been consistant and without attitude issues so far, then maybe. But he hasnt been without either. Brentz could be ready in 2013. Ill deal with the learning curve. Middy's learning curve wasnt too bad and I dont think it will take long for Brentz to adjust either. He has at every level so far fairly quickly. Hes a smart ballplayer.
    If I were to give up some prospects, it would be for Trumbo to play 1b. If the Angels would even deal him.

Brentz does not have "just as much power" as Upton.

Upton is in a class with Stanton and no one else when it comes to RHH power.  Do not be fooled by a poor season

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I think the better question is WHO would we be trading for in order for me to consider one of the B's. Honestly, I think Brentz can give you a 800+ OPS, maybe even 900 once the adjustments take place. Im not one to be "in love" or "overvalue" the prospects. I fully understand the reality. I just like what Ive seen up close and Live from him and also what i hear from him in interviews, the way he talks about the game and what he needs to do. he understands. Hes a ballplayer, Like Middlebrooks. 

Are you running for office? Nice non answer.

Lol..Dont like politics, but yeah answering your question with a question is rather politician like isnt it...I just wanted to see who you were thinking of trading him for. The obvious answer would be yes to trading anyone. Just all depends on what we would be getting in return.

So I guess back to you...Who are we talking about trading for?

OK, here's one:

Brentz, Nava, Aviles, and Ranaudo

for

Yavani Gallardo (
    13 :$7.75M,  14 :$11.25M,  15 :$13M club option ($0.6M buyout)  )

Now that I would def consider. Young pitcher ,3 yrs on a team friendly contract...When you mention trading Brentz for Upton It seems redundant to me. When you talk about solid starting pitching for the next 3 yrs, thats a different story.
    The amount of HR he has given up the last couple years is something to look at (50, and this years isnt over yet). Lots of K's and a lot of hits. Not  sure if they would care for any of them besides Brentz though. If I were their GM I would ask for Brentz, Britton, and Vinicio.

[/QUOTE]

Let me put it this way: please rate the killer Bs in the order that you like them (or don't want them traded).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

bump past the idiot

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

PawSox open the finals with a 7-2 victory. Lead best of 5, 1-0.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

PawSox open the finals with a 7-2 victory. Lead best of 5, 1-0.

Linares, Valencia, and Thomas all go deep.
    Brentz with a 2B & 3B, and Steven Wright goes 7 IP with 2 ERs for the W.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I think the better question is WHO would we be trading for in order for me to consider one of the B's. Honestly, I think Brentz can give you a 800+ OPS, maybe even 900 once the adjustments take place. Im not one to be "in love" or "overvalue" the prospects. I fully understand the reality. I just like what Ive seen up close and Live from him and also what i hear from him in interviews, the way he talks about the game and what he needs to do. he understands. Hes a ballplayer, Like Middlebrooks. 

OK, here's one:

for

Yavani Gallardo (

Why would Milaukee make that deal?

If they move Gallardo, it becomes time to rebuild.   So Nava and Aviles are of no use.  Their top pitcher should net more than Bryce Brentz and Anthony Ranaudo.

The Rays got Hak-Ju Lee, Chris Archer, Robinson Chirinos, and Brandon Guyer.  Archer (27) and Lee (92) were BA Top 100 prospects at the time.  THAT is the pricetag for the same amount of control for Gallardo.   

The Sox had only 3 in the top 100 last year- Middlebrooks (51), Bogarts (58) and Swihart (72).  This year's equivalent to the Garza package is probably has to include Barnes and  Lavarnway. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Lol..Dont like politics, but yeah answering your question with a question is rather politician like isnt it...I just wanted to see who you were thinking of trading him for. The obvious answer would be yes to trading anyone. Just all depends on what we would be getting in return.

OK, here's one:

for

Yavani Gallardo (

Now that I would def consider. Young pitcher ,3 yrs on a team friendly contract...When you mention trading Brentz for Upton It seems redundant to me. When you talk about solid starting pitching for the next 3 yrs, thats a different story.
    The amount of HR he has given up the last couple years is something to look at (50, and this years isnt over yet). Lots of K's and a lot of hits. Not  sure if they would care for any of them besides Brentz though. If I were their GM I would ask for Brentz, Britton, and Vinicio.

[/QUOTE]

Let me put it this way: please rate the killer Bs in the order that you like them (or don't want them traded).

[/QUOTE]

Thats a tough one since we need all of them come 2014. Also, Brentz is a RF'r and Sands is a LF/1b. From what I read, I wouldnt put Sands in that big RF at Fenway. Hes better suited for LF. We could give Sands and Brentz invites to ST in 2013 with a chance of making the team.
    I wouldnt put them in order because they are all important pieces of the Sox future IMO. We need a RHH RF'r with Power (Brentz) a CF to replace Ells (Bradley) Pitching (Barnes) and a SS or possibly a LF (Bogaerts). How I would put them in order is depending what the return would be for them and obviously I dont know who that would be.
    Sorry, I dont mean to keep doing that but there are a lot of variables in my mind when its comes to ranking what order Id put our propspects in concerning trading them. I just cant say what order I would put them in without knowing what the return was. They are all equally important to me because they all privide a chance to fill 4 different positions that we need...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Moon,
    I think out of all our prospects, the ones that have the most upside are the four B's...Barnes, Bradley, Bogaerts and Brentz. I would honestly wait to see what they have to offer us before letting them go for anyone...Especially Upton. Something about him I just dont trust. Id rather have a 24yr old slugger with just as much power from our own system than him. Thats just me though. Those 4 are going to be solid ballplayers IMO. Now, if Upton had been consistant and without attitude issues so far, then maybe. But he hasnt been without either. Brentz could be ready in 2013. Ill deal with the learning curve. Middy's learning curve wasnt too bad and I dont think it will take long for Brentz to adjust either. He has at every level so far fairly quickly. Hes a smart ballplayer.
    If I were to give up some prospects, it would be for Trumbo to play 1b. If the Angels would even deal him.

Upton is in a class with Stanton and no one else when it comes to RHH power.  Do not be fooled by a poor season

[/QUOTE]

Thats unfair to say because Brentz hasnt had the chance to show what hes got in MLB. Hes hit a ton in AA and already in AAA...I realize that sometimes that doesnt translate to MLB, but Brentz has 30HR power and so has Upton. I dont see why Brentz couldnt have as much power as Upton. Unless your just talking about distance, which I could care less about as long as the ball clears the wall...
    They both hit for power and have a few extra K's...Brentz has shown to have a good OBP as well as solid defense...Hes made all the adjustments and I see no reason why he wont do the same at the MLB level.
    What Im saying is that Id give Brentz the chance first before i go spending 10mm in 2013 and 15mm per for only 2 more years on a guy that might not be worth the $$ in comparison to the production and years under contol Brentz could give you...The question I ask myself is "Is Upton really worth approx 40mm for 3 years in comparison to Brentz at 1.5mm/3yrs then 3yrs of arb?" No, its not all about the money. But I believe Brentz, like Middlebrooks, can give you solid production and defense. maybe not quite as good as Upton. But as far as years and $$ goes, I dont think Brentz' production at the MLB level will be all that far behind Upton. I see him hitting 20-25HR (maybe more) with a 350OBP and somewhere around 500SLG with a bunch of K's once he adjusts.
    I could be completely wrong, but this is just my opinion. Certain kids I like to give a shot before trading them. Brentz is one of them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wouldnt put them in order because they are all important pieces of the Sox future IMO. We need a RHH RF'r with Power (Brentz) a CF to replace Ells (Bradley) Pitching (Barnes) and a SS or possibly a LF (Bogaerts). How I would put them in order is depending what the return would be for them and obviously I dont know who that would be.
    Sorry, I dont mean to keep doing that but there are a lot of variables in my mind when its comes to ranking what order Id put our propspects in concerning trading them. I just cant say what order I would put them in without knowing what the return was. They are all equally important to me because they all privide a chance to fill 4 different positions that we need...

I get your point, but let me put it this way: for argument's sake, say we could get  Strasburg for just one of the "Bs". You got to choose which one to give for him. Who would it be? Who would be your second choice to give away? Your third choice?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Thats unfair to say because Brentz hasnt had the chance to show what hes got in MLB. Hes hit a ton in AA and already in AAA...I realize that sometimes that doesnt translate to MLB, but Brentz has 30HR power and so has Upton. I dont see why Brentz couldnt have as much power as Upton. Unless your just talking about distance, which I could care less about as long as the ball clears the wall...
    They both hit for power and have a few extra K's...Brentz has shown to have a good OBP as well as solid defense...Hes made all the adjustments and I see no reason why he wont do the same at the MLB level.
    What Im saying is that Id give Brentz the chance first before i go spending 10mm in 2013 and 15mm per for only 2 more years on a guy that might not be worth the $$ in comparison to the production and years under contol Brentz could give you...The question I ask myself is "Is Upton really worth approx 40mm for 3 years in comparison to Brentz at 1.5mm/3yrs then 3yrs of arb?" No, its not all about the money. But I believe Brentz, like Middlebrooks, can give you solid production and defense. maybe not quite as good as Upton. But as far as years and $$ goes, I dont think Brentz' production at the MLB level will be all that far behind Upton. I see him hitting 20-25HR (maybe more) with a 350OBP and somewhere around 500SLG with a bunch of K's once he adjusts.
    I could be completely wrong, but this is just my opinion. Certain kids I like to give a shot before trading them. Brentz is one of them.

Your position has merit, but there are so many player like Brentz who never made it. Upton has. He's as sure a bet as can be.

Sure, Brentz could end up better than Upton, but let's look at an age comparison:

Age                 Upton                                       Brentz

18  (501) .263   12  66 (.757 OPS)   

19  (456) .319   18  70 (.961) AA               (158 gms)

(152) .283    2   22 (.647) MLB           3 years in college

20  (356) .250  15  42  (.816) MLB        624 ABs 61 HRs 191 RBIs

21 (526) .300  26   86  (.899) MLB    (286) .198    5  39  (.598) A

22 (495) .273  17  69  (.799) MLB     (507) .306  30  94  (.939) A

23 (592) .289  31  88  (.898) MLB     (522) .290  17  76  (.814) AA

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

PawSox take a 2-0 lead in the Governor's Cup Series with a 2-0 win over the Charlotte White Sox.

Zach Stewart threw 6 shutout innings and the pen closed it out.

There must be a reason you guys aren't willing to discuss the PawSox staff being considered  for taking over next week to manage the Red Sox. This managerial group has done a great job this season and in the past at each level.

I have a feeling you may see V relieved of his duties next week.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

That would ruin everything. We need to remain the only team in the history of all sports to break the paradigm "you can't fire the players".

They'll wait till the offseason to make that move.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

Your position has merit, but there are so many player like Brentz who never made it. Upton has. He's as sure a bet as can be.

Sure, Brentz could end up better than Upton, but let's look at an age comparison:

Age                 Upton                                       Brentz

18  (501) .263   12  66 (.757 OPS)   

19  (456) .319   18  70 (.961) AA               (158 gms)

(152) .283    2   22 (.647) MLB           3 years in college

20  (356) .250  15  42  (.816) MLB        624 ABs 61 HRs 191 RBIs

21 (526) .300  26   86  (.899) MLB    (286) .198    5  39  (.598) A

22 (495) .273  17  69  (.799) MLB     (507) .306  30  94  (.939) A

23 (592) .289  31  88  (.898) MLB     (522) .290  17  76  (.814) AA

[/QUOTE]

Although I would not count the AAA time this year due to an obvious skew in stats because of the obvious adjustment time and small sample.

AAA in 5 games .118 .167 .118 .284...This brings his # down quite a bit

his AA numbers would be:

AVG 296  OBP.355  SLG.478

OPS.833

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Sorry Moon,

we will have to agree to disagree on this one. I keep Brentz and take my chances on close to better production over 6yrs instead of only 3 with a lot less $$ spent.

I dont do this with every prospect. There are just a few that I believe what I see is the real deal.

As far as who would I give up for strasburg first? I understand what your saying. Out of those 4 prospects Brentz is probably #4. But IMO, thats our top #4 in the whole system. in order 1 to 4: Bogaerts, Barnes, Bradley, Brentz

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

When I look at Uptons stats, he goes back and forth from a .900OPS to an .800 OPS from ages 21-24. Hes solid one year, then ok the next...Hes NOT consistent. Hes averages like 22HR a year over the last 4 years and has averaged about 130K per year. His career numbers are not that much different than what Brentz is giving you...I also believe BB will improve more. Which brings me to my next point...

IMO, Its not worth giving up 3 extra years of control into Brentz' prime for a lot less $$$. Upton will be hitting his prime when he leaves Boston (if signed) and we WILL miss his best years. At least we have have a couple of Brentz prime years with the possibility of signing a Pedroia like deal with him...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

When I look at Uptons stats, he goes back and forth from a .900OPS to an .800 OPS from ages 21-24. Hes solid one year, then ok the next...Hes NOT consistent. Hes averages like 22HR a year over the last 4 years and has averaged about 130K per year. His career numbers are not that much different than what Brentz is giving you...I also believe BB will improve more. Which brings me to my next point...

IMO, Its not worth giving up 3 extra years of control into Brentz' prime for a lot less $$$. Upton will be hitting his prime when he leaves Boston (if signed) and we WILL miss his best years. At least we have have a couple of Brentz prime years with the possibility of signing a Pedroia like deal with him...

[/QUOTE]

1) .800 is not a bad OPS.

2) He started this season playing hurt.

3) He is just now entering his prime.

4) Brentz has had an off season too.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

PawSox take a 2-0 lead in the Governor's Cup Series with a 2-0 win over the Charlotte White Sox.

Zach Stewart threw 6 shutout innings and the pen closed it out.

There must be a reason you guys aren't willing to discuss the PawSox staff being considered  for taking over next week to manage the Red Sox. This managerial group has done a great job this season and in the past at each level.

[/QUOTE]I'm with you on this one MadMc44. Beyeler's been in Pawtucket 2 years and has made the playoffs both years. Plus Rich Sauveur his PC has worked some minor miracles with Miller, Melancon, Tazawa etc.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The Sox need only one starting pitcher Felix Hernandez! Skip all the trade talk for any other SP. Maybe one of the pitchers acquired from the trades this year is ready for next season: Wright,Stewart or Webster but in any case the only pitcher worthy of trading Barnes for is King Felix.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

PawSox win the playoff series vs  the Charlotte White Sox--3 - 0. Final 4-1--Figueroa and three relievers held the White Sox to 1 run. Josh Fields former property of the White Sox got the save , his second save in two nights.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Moon,

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I view Brentz as fairly ordinary and completely expendable. It is most definitely not unfair to judge Brentz this way. What is unfair is thinking 24yo Brentz is on the way up and 100% guaranteed to improve, but 25yo Justin Upton has clearly reached his peak and will only trend downward, maybe after a brief plateau. The things you like about Brentz, such as his .833OPS in AA ball are less than what Upton was doing AT AGE NINETEEN. Thats TWO years out of high school! (Upton had a .955OPS in AA at 19years old in 2007 in 300ABs. He was in the majors in 2008 at age 20 How you figure Brentz .833OPS in AA at age 23 makes him the equal to a guy who had a .955OPS in AA at age 19 still amazes me. And how you limit their offensive comparables to HRs, all while assuming Brentz AA power and Uptons MLB power are equal since both hit 30HRs. Comparing Brentz to Upton in any fashion is completely ludicrous, even taking money into account. Upton is a hitter you build a team around. Brentz is the type of hitter you build around Upton with. When opposing teams face the Diamondbacks, the pitchers, catchers and coaches get together and discuss how not to get beaten by Upton. They do not do this with Brentz, and most likely never will. Upton is a guy who can be in the heart of the order on a playoff team (as he was way back in 2011), and whose bad season can ruin an entire year for his team, like he did this year with his arm injury. Brentz is the type of hitter who bats sixth in an average lineup, and if he goes down, you move on. If a team has Bryce Brentz hitting third or fourth, they had better have some SERIOUS pitching, which actually negates most of the cost savings, since we know where it will HAVE to be allocated.

There are numerous prospects in the Sox system I like better than Brentz. I think Sox fans have a tendency to give first shot to hometown draft picks over acquisitions, and the favoritism of Brentz is largely dependent on this. Really, the only thing working for Brentz fans this off-season is the unlikelihood that anyone else is all that interested in him. If the Sox try for the big names fans would like to see, other GMs will be asking for Bogaerts, Bradley, Barnes, and Webster. If the Sox are lucky, someone will settle for Brentz, but it is more likely no deal is struck and the Sox move on, or the Sox capitulate and deal the more highly regarded talent. That might be OK, too, depending on the deal.

Now Bogaerts has Upton-esque potential. And expecting Brentz to be in that league will only leave you disappointed. The only advantage of Brentz over Upton is that Brentz is already here, whereas Upton could cost significantly to acquire. If the price of Upton is Bogaerts and Bradley or Webster, I’ll gladly take Brentz. The downside to Brentz is that Sands is also already here, and has much, much greater potential as a hitter…

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

notin, you may be right about Sands having more potential than Brentz.

Sands just turned 25.

He has 4 Hrs and a .701 OPS in limited ML duty (250 PAs).

He has  hit 26+ HRs in each of the last 3 minor league seasons (2 in the PCL).

He 90 Hrs in 1324 PAs the last 3 years in the minors (94 in 1575 overall).

He's had a .900+ OPS for 3 straight seasons at ages 22-24.

Brentz is about a year younger and has...

52 HRs the last 3 years(1315 PAs)  with an .815 OPS in lower minor leaguesd than Sands' last 3 seasons.

I think you are right about the homerism of many Sox fans towards our prospects.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Brentz is a year younger, and has respectable non-PCL numbers.  He's not untalented or a compelte waste.  He's just never going to be a franchise guy.

Personally, I think he needs to move towards a lighter bat.   Or cork it.  Do something about that long swing.

I doi like Brentz as a well-rounded outfielder.  Sands is the complete opposite of Brentz, however.  Outside of both being right-handed hitters in the Sox org, not much in common.  Sands is like 6 foot four or five, and just towers over the smaller Brentz.  He has very little defensive agility, unlike Brentz.  He has a very short and quick swing, unlike Brentz.

To be honest, Brentz future is easier to see.  He will be in Pawtucket in 2013, starting in RF.  Sands?  He has two options left, so he could be in Pawtucket.  Or Boston.  Or dealt in another trade, although certainly not as the centerpiece in a major acquisition...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It helps Sands that we need a 1Bman, LF'er and possibly a DH for 2013.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

Since we do have openings in LF and RF in 2013 and CF in 2014, maybe they both stay.

[/QUOTE]

+1

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

We have seen Sweeney, Nava and Kalish. I haven't been impressed with any of them from a power standpoint.

Brentz has had back to back impressive seasons. He has hit for the cycle twice in AA. He has a fine arm. Swweeney would be the fifth OF. Kalish and Nava are throw ins in trades.
    Linares has shown well at AAA since his recall and done well in the two playoff games.

I would look to move Ells for pitching and install Bradley in CF with Brentz in RF and Ross in LF with Linares as the 4 th OF-Sands or Aviles as the super sub. Ciriaco as the SS.

There are teams out there that blocked Sands and Rubby DLR--if they have a great prospect, that's a better pitcher than Rubby, that's the only way I see him being moved. I see him in the starting rotation this season, if reports are accurate. Hopefully Barnes  enters  the rotation in 2014, if not sooner.

[/QUOTE]

+1

Sections
Shortcuts