Pawsox news

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Pawsox news

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wanted to move Sweeney this summer, but he kinda ruined those plans.

I was for looking hard to deal Ellsbury for the right return long before the big deal that wrote off 2013. Now, it's a no brainer. Trade him this winter, before he loses the comp pick attachment value, and get someone who is under team control for 3+ years.

[/QUOTE]

someone? how bout very a good pitching prospect

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We don't need Upton.  We will have strong young OF in near future, maybe starting to see some of them as early as 2013.  Jerry Sands at LF, Jackie Bradley Jr. at CF, and Bryce Brentz at RF.  We shouldn't ruin the perfect picture out there.  Speedy CF with glove and good OBP potentially 10 HR, 30+ SB, future leadoff guy for Sox for seasons to come.  Two young corner OFs with strong arms and good defensive skills with power bats, potentially 30+ HRs for both.  This is the near future of the Red Sox OFers.  We don't need to pay for one.

[/QUOTE]

+1

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Moon,
    I think out of all our prospects, the ones that have the most upside are the four B's...Barnes, Bradley, Bogaerts and Brentz. I would honestly wait to see what they have to offer us before letting them go for anyone...Especially Upton. Something about him I just dont trust. Id rather have a 24yr old slugger with just as much power from our own system than him. Thats just me though. Those 4 are going to be solid ballplayers IMO. Now, if Upton had been consistant and without attitude issues so far, then maybe. But he hasnt been without either. Brentz could be ready in 2013. Ill deal with the learning curve. Middy's learning curve wasnt too bad and I dont think it will take long for Brentz to adjust either. He has at every level so far fairly quickly. Hes a smart ballplayer.
    If I were to give up some prospects, it would be for Trumbo to play 1b. If the Angels would even deal him.

[/QUOTE]

+1

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The one thing about BenC is he has seen many, many, scouting reports, he has seen many of the 19 to 29 year olds we are talking about. 
    If he felt Webster,Sands and RubbyDLR were amoungst the best prospects available and he could have rejected them for others, I feel his judgement on talent is in the 85 or above %tile---i would trust we got three pretty good kids. 
    If he feels he could parlay them or some of our best farmhands into a better player or two I would also trust his judgement.

I would like to see what Sands, Bradley and Brentz with Linares as the 4 OF'der; moving Ross to the RH DH, PH, 5 th of'der.      Perhaps there is a Trout in  the waters of New England--sometimes you have to  troll and find the right fishing hole.

[/QUOTE]
    " Perhaps there is a Trout in  the waters of New England--sometimes you have to  troll and find the right fishing hole. "

:)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I think the better question is WHO would we be trading for in order for me to consider one of the B's. Honestly, I think Brentz can give you a 800+ OPS, maybe even 900 once the adjustments take place. Im not one to be "in love" or "overvalue" the prospects. I fully understand the reality. I just like what Ive seen up close and Live from him and also what i hear from him in interviews, the way he talks about the game and what he needs to do. he understands. Hes a ballplayer, Like Middlebrooks. 

Are you running for office? Nice non answer.

Lol..Dont like politics, but yeah answering your question with a question is rather politician like isnt it...I just wanted to see who you were thinking of trading him for. The obvious answer would be yes to trading anyone. Just all depends on what we would be getting in return.

So I guess back to you...Who are we talking about trading for?

OK, here's one:

Brentz, Nava, Aviles, and Ranaudo

for

Yavani Gallardo (
    13 :$7.75M,  14 :$11.25M,  15 :$13M club option ($0.6M buyout)  )

Now that I would def consider. Young pitcher ,3 yrs on a team friendly contract...When you mention trading Brentz for Upton It seems redundant to me. When you talk about solid starting pitching for the next 3 yrs, thats a different story.
    The amount of HR he has given up the last couple years is something to look at (50, and this years isnt over yet). Lots of K's and a lot of hits. Not  sure if they would care for any of them besides Brentz though. If I were their GM I would ask for Brentz, Britton, and Vinicio.

[/QUOTE]

Let me put it this way: please rate the killer Bs in the order that you like them (or don't want them traded).

[/QUOTE]

Thats a tough one since we need all of them come 2014. Also, Brentz is a RF'r and Sands is a LF/1b. From what I read, I wouldnt put Sands in that big RF at Fenway. Hes better suited for LF. We could give Sands and Brentz invites to ST in 2013 with a chance of making the team.
    I wouldnt put them in order because they are all important pieces of the Sox future IMO. We need a RHH RF'r with Power (Brentz) a CF to replace Ells (Bradley) Pitching (Barnes) and a SS or possibly a LF (Bogaerts). How I would put them in order is depending what the return would be for them and obviously I dont know who that would be.
    Sorry, I dont mean to keep doing that but there are a lot of variables in my mind when its comes to ranking what order Id put our propspects in concerning trading them. I just cant say what order I would put them in without knowing what the return was. They are all equally important to me because they all privide a chance to fill 4 different positions that we need...

[/QUOTE]

nice:)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Im not saying, nor have I even implied you build a franchise around Brentz. I just like what Ive seen. I never started the comparison either. Just said I would rather see what he has before we trade him for 3yrs of Upton. I also suggested other players instead of BB that would get the deal done as well, although i dont agree with sending 6 players for him. Maybe 3 or 4. I dont do this with every prospect, so Im not, and dont, overvalue ALL our prospects either. I understand the reality of prospects very well. I only do this with a select few.

Do you think we will sign Upton after his 3 years are up when hes just hitting his prime at 28? I dont. Im sure he will command over 20mm per for at least 8 yrs. He will most likely go for a 200mm deal.

All Im saying is I want to give the BB a shot first. I said the same with Middlebrooks when a lot of people here were naming him in every trade scinario too. Is he Trout? No, never suggested that. but i dont think the Sox will re-sign Upton for 200mm either. We have other prospects that are, and will be blocked that could be put in that trade to get it done. Im not saying dont make the deal, but just replace BB with another prospect. What can I say, I just like what Ive seen from him since college where i saw him first play. I think Upton is a fine player and possibly a franchise player. Im not so sure that that franchise with be the Sox at 200mm.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Im not saying, nor have I even implied you build a franchise around Brentz. I just like what Ive seen. I never started the comparison either. Just said I would rather see what he has before we trade him for 3yrs of Upton. I also suggested other players instead of BB that would get the deal done as well, although i dont agree with sending 6 players for him. Maybe 3 or 4. I dont do this with every prospect, so Im not, and dont, overvalue ALL our prospects either. I understand the reality of prospects very well. I only do this with a select few.

Do you think we will sign Upton after his 3 years are up when hes just hitting his prime at 28? I dont. Im sure he will command over 20mm per for at least 8 yrs. He will most likely go for a 200mm deal.

All Im saying is I want to give the BB a shot first. I said the same with Middlebrooks when a lot of people here were naming him in every trade scinario too. Is he Trout? No, never suggested that. but i dont think the Sox will re-sign Upton for 200mm either. We have other prospects that are, and will be blocked that could be put in that trade to get it done. Im not saying dont make the deal, but just replace BB with another prospect. What can I say, I just like what Ive seen from him since college where i saw him first play. I think Upton is a fine player and possibly a franchise player. Im not so sure that that franchise with be the Sox at 200mm.

[/QUOTE]

Justin is under team control for 3 more years at about $13M per year. Even if he walks after 3 years (we get a comp pick), that is a tremendous value to the Sox. There is also a chance we could extend him before his deal runs out, giving him a raise over the next 3 years, but getting a discount on the back end.

If he is worth $200M/8 after the 3 years, we and him can decide if he stays or not then. If he walks, we get a comp pick. If he stays, we will know more about him, he will still be only 28, and we can afford $200M now that the purge has happened.

I understand wanting to "see what Brentz" can do, but he is a gamble, whereas Upton is a near sure bet franchise-type player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

And in actual PawSox news, the Pawtucket Red Sox win the International League by sweeping the Charlotte Knights in the Governors' cup final.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Here's some very nice stuff on Brentz. If they can't trade for a right handed power bat, why not give Brentz a chance? This piece compares his progress with Middlebrooks'.

"Unlike Middlebrooks last year, Brentz has enjoyed tremendous success. He has three doubles, a triple and a pair of home runs in five postseason games, compiling a slugging percentage over 1.000. He doubled down the left-field line and tripled off the right-field fence in Game One of the Governors’ Cup Finals on Tuesday night. Even his groundout to second base was hard-hit.

“The ball comes off his bat very easy and very loud,” Beyeler said. “He can drive the baseball. It’s a really live bat. He’s played solid in the outfield. He can throw the ball. He moves around well. It’s going to be fun to watch him develop and see what happens. He’s definitely a guy that can impact the middle of the lineup with his bat.”

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He'€™s definitely a guy that can impact the middle of the lineup with his bat.

1) No prospect is "definite" as they translate to MLB.

2) "Can " impact is not the same as "is already impacting" the middle of a MLB line-up.€

Look, I get the philosophy of keeping our kids and hoping a few of them make it bigtime soon, but there is a strong possibility that 2 or even 3 of the "killer B's" never become all star type ML players, or at least prior to becoming FAs. Maybe none become great.

There comes a time, when a franchise type player becomes available, someone that is as close to a sure bet superstar as you can get at age 24-25, that you have to reach down and make the tough choice. Hopefully, we guess the right Killer B or B's to give up to get such a player, but there is not doubt, we will need a player or two like Upton to have a chance of winning in 2014 or 2015. The point is, there may not ba another Upton available next winter or the one after that, just like there is probably not another Gio Gonzalez this winter. I heard the same thing last winter, when I suggested we should have offered more & traded for Gio instead of Bailey and Sweeney or gone blockbuster to get all 3.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

The clown knows soooo much about Brentz. More than his AAA manager!

Amazing!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Once more, Fako the Lawyer, throwing the race card.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

I'm just suggesting, if the Sox can't find their elusive RH power guy for the OF, to give Brentz a try.

As for voting for Emperor Obama, The Celebrity in Chief, I'd rather vote for my Dogue.

Clint was right. He's the biggest fraud ever foisted on this country.

I'm starting to think, Obama is the real manchurian Candidate. No college transcripts, no birth certificate (not a post facto one that he produced), and 1.5 billion to the Islamic Brotherhood.

WAKE UP AMERICA!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Leave it to softlaw to turn a baseball thread to politics. Another guy that came up huge for the PawSox in the playoffs was Linares. I'd like to see both Brentz and Linares in Boston tomorrow. Let's see what we've got.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Leave it to softlaw to turn a baseball thread to politics. Another guy that came up huge for the PawSox in the playoffs was Linares. I'd like to see both Brentz and Linares in Boston tomorrow. Let's see what we've got.

[/QUOTE]

They have one more game. A one game playoff vs. the Pacific Coast League champs for the AAA Championship.  I think it is next Tuesday.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They have one more game. A one game playoff vs. the Pacific Coast League champs for the AAA Championship.  I think it is next Tuesday.

[/QUOTE]Didn't know that. Thanks.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Google search....Upton...traded to the Red Sox...still cant find it?

Google search...Diamondback looking to trade Upton...still cant find it?

Google search...Softy making a legit proposal, one that the Diamondbacks would entertian...still cant find it...

Google search...Red Sox looking to aquire Upton...still cant find it

I did however find Juston Upton on Baseball reference...Who has him ranked #736 All time behind Hunter Pence? Curious to me that anyone would be drooling over a player with a life time batting ave of .276. One who has yet to learn to play the outfield and one that after 6 years has yet eclipse .900 OPS

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/u/uptonju01.shtml

Upon further review I just looked up where Upton ranks this year and what do you know....hmm in all of MLB hes #76 in batting average behind Cody Ross with a robust .271 BA

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/count/41/qualified/true

Yeh but hes a power hitter you say! NOT! Tied for 131 st on the HR list with 10 others...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/sort/homeRuns/count/121/qualified/false

must be his onbase average? Keep working Justin you almost made the top 50...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/sort/onBasePct/count/41/qualified/true

Must be his WAR value...Found an upton at 89th...opps that was BJ...scrolling down the list...where is this guy.....Found him! wow this guy is the real deal ranked 161st!

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/sort/WARBR/count/161/qualified/false

In the end, I must admit upon further review. that I too would love to see this guy in Sox uniform and playing everyday....in Pawtucket

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re the PawSox---I would definitely consider Arnie B to be  the next manager.

Speaking of the FA to be BJ Upton--a known commodity in the AL East, would you take another shot at a Ray castoff ? You could trade Ells --Upton may come cheaper long term? OR trade Ells and sign Bourn?

Do you JBJ in CF and trade Ells? Linares was a CF when he was first signed.  OR

Do you sign and trade or let Ross walk and install BB in RF?   AND

Let Sands and Nava fight it out for left with Linares #4 or #5 OF'der?

There is another guy, currently with the PawSox--Hazelbaker--that has power and speed. He had about 20 dingers this season between the Sea Dogs and PawSox--in addition over 30 stolen bases. Not much is said about him-definitely another year with the PawSox.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Google search....Upton...traded to the Red Sox...still cant find it?

Google search...Diamondback looking to trade Upton...still cant find it?

Google search...Softy making a legit proposal, one that the Diamondbacks would entertian...still cant find it...

Google search...Red Sox looking to aquire Upton...still cant find it

I did however find Juston Upton on Baseball reference...Who has him ranked #736 All time behind Hunter Pence? Curious to me that anyone would be drooling over a player with a life time batting ave of .276. One who has yet to learn to play the outfield and one that after 6 years has yet eclipse .900 OPS

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/u/uptonju01.shtml

Upon further review I just looked up where Upton ranks this year and what do you know....hmm in all of MLB hes #76 in batting average behind Cody Ross with a robust .271 BA

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/count/41/qualified/true

Yeh but hes a power hitter you say! NOT! Tied for 131 st on the HR list with 10 others...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/sort/homeRuns/count/121/qualified/false

must be his onbase average? Keep working Justin you almost made the top 50...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/sort/onBasePct/count/41/qualified/true

Must be his WAR value...Found an upton at 89th...opps that was BJ...scrolling down the list...where is this guy.....Found him! wow this guy is the real deal ranked 161st!

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/sort/WARBR/count/161/qualified/false

In the end, I must admit upon further review. that I too would love to see this guy in Sox uniform and playing everyday....in Pawtucket

[/QUOTE]

Thank you...Dont know why hes considered a franchise player and game changer by some. Guy hasnt really impressed me at all...Hes had some flashes of greatness, but nothing consistent. Oh, but hes got that potential to be a consistent, great player...Sounds like how you describe a prospect to me...Now, Im not saying he isnt good or that hes not a proven MLB player. But come on, 6 prospects for this dude?  If were going to trade prospects away it should be for pitching and pitching only...

Ill take my chances with the 23, almost 24yr old Bryce Brentz. (our #5 prospect, oh soft minded one) Just like I wanted to do with Middlebrooks when so many wanted to put him in every trade scenario. Do I think all of our prospects are going to make it? Of course not. But there are some that stand out more than others and I think BB is one of them. Could I be wrong? Sure. But then again, we could pay almost 40mm for Upton for 3yrs and get a .270 hitter with 15-20hr with an OBP around .340. We can get that from Brentz for half a million... Which JU will we get since it seems he has a decent year one year then a down year the next? INCONSISTENT!!! Not worth giving up solid prospects for IMO...

Prospects for pitching, not a good RF'r...JU is not not a great RF'r IMO, he's a good one.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Re the PawSox---I would definitely consider Arnie B to be  the next manager.

Speaking of the FA to be BJ Upton--a known commodity in the AL East, would you take another shot at a Ray castoff ? You could trade Ells --Upton may come cheaper long term? OR trade Ells and sign Bourn?

Do you JBJ in CF and trade Ells? Linares was a CF when he was first signed.  OR

Do you sign and trade or let Ross walk and install BB in RF?   AND

Let Sands and Nava fight it out for left with Linares #4 or #5 OF'der?

There is another guy, currently with the PawSox--Hazelbaker--that has power and speed. He had about 20 dingers this season between the Sea Dogs and PawSox--in addition over 30 stolen bases. Not much is said about him-definitely another year with the PawSox.

[/QUOTE]

Hazelbaker is a speedster...Profiles as a 4th OF type and late game PR...Got good base running instincts but not an everyday player. That could change though. He could just be a late bloomer. He just turned 25 last month...Had trouble getting passed the AA level until this year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

While I understand the philosphy of keeping all our kids in hopes that 3 will turn into good to great OF'ers at low cost and long team control years, our best major league OF'er for 2013 after Ellsbury is Ryan Sweeney. I repeat: Ryan "freakin'" Sweeney! Add to that the fact that Ellsbury his very likely not going to be here after 2013 (or even after 2012 as he should be traded), some of you are putting all of our OF hopes on prodspects and only prospects. Maybe a few want some patchwork bridge FAs signed to get us over the hump (Pods & Ross, perhaps), but it seems like many here are fully content with sitting back and waiting it out rather than jump-starting the process by adding a young more proven OF'er to the mix.

We have a load of decent to great OF prospects. There is merit to the idea that planning on 3-4 of them will be ready to be stars on this team by 2014. With a high quantity of OF prospects, the odds improve, but I'd rather have one solid, young OF'er on the books for 3 or more years and the prospects fighting for 2 slots rather than 3.

Here's a list of our OF'ers that are signed for 2013 or beyond :

Ellsbury ( FA after 2013 )

Sweeney ( FA after 2013 )

Nava

Repko

Kalish

Sands

Lin

Linares

Brentz

Hazelbaker

Bradley

Hassan

Jacobs

de la Cruz

Margot

Hissey

There's a good chance 2 of these guys will become very good ML OF'ers, but I think wishing on 3 is a bit too much.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

And Brentz is the one who will do it IMO...Moon, I have trouble giving up a bunch of prospects for a RF'er who, by the numbers, has been inconsistent. If we were to give away such a haul of prospects, as your suggesting, it should be for a player with a better track record or through a couple prime years. he would be leaving Boston at age 28, the START of his prime. 28-32.

The only way we should let go of top prospects is for pitching.

I understand your thinking and the basis of your arguement and agree with it, but disagree on who we would be selling the future for and the lack of years we have him for. We can get a .270 hitter with a .345 OBP Rf'er who K's about 130 times a year for less. Is he the under .789OPS guy or the .898 one? Never once has been over .900 OPS in his career...I'll Pass. I will just let this be my last comment on the subject as we have both stated our sides thouroughly. I will respectfully just have to disagree with yours.

I would rather try and sign Torii Hunter to play LF on a 2yr deal. Hes still a .290 hitter and brings the kind of leadership this team needs. Cody Ross has produced better than Upton this year and id rather have him in RF until Brentz is ready. Hes a better clubhouse guy as well.