Pawsox news

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Pawsox news

And Brentz is the one who will do it IMO...Moon, I have trouble giving up a bunch of prospects for a RF'er who, by the numbers, has been inconsistent.

Again, I wouldn't call Upton's track record "inconsistent". Other than this season's injury influenced season, Justin has been remarkably consistent by staying between a .799 and .899 OPS for 4 straight years between ages 20 and 23. This is in the majors! Not the minors! .799 to .899 from ages 20 to 23.  At age 19, in the minors, he had a .961 OPS.  This is the only season, he has been below .799 overall.  That is not "inconsistent". It is the opposite. There is every reason in the world to expect .850-1.000+ OPS over the next 3 years.

While it is hard to compare Brentz to Upton, since Bryce entered the minors at age 21 and Upton entered the majors at 19/20, one could easily make the argument that Brentz has been more "inconsistent" than Upton:

2010: .598 (A-)

2011: .939 (A+ A)

2012: .814 (AA  AAA)

If we were to give away such a haul of prospects, as your suggesting, it should be for a player with a better track record or through a couple prime years. he would be leaving Boston at age 28, the START of his prime. 28-32.

Actually, most offensive players have their "prime years" from 27-29, especially those who entered the majors before age 23-24.

The only way we should let go of top prospects is for pitching.

While I generally agree, we still need a "franchise" type everyday player as well, and I don't like the idea of signing Hamilton as the alternative.

I understand your thinking and the basis of your arguement and agree with it, but disagree on who we would be selling the future for and the lack of years we have him for. We can get a .270 hitter with a .345 OBP Rf'er who K's about 130 times a year for less. Is he the under .789OPS guy or the .898 one? Never once has been over .900 OPS in his career...I'll Pass.

How many 24 year olds have had two solid .898 to  .899 OPS seasons under their belt? His "off season" in 2010 still saw a .356 OBP and 47 extra base hits in 495 ABs. He's also had 18-21 SBs in the 3 those years.

I will just let this be my last comment on the subject as we have both stated our sides thouroughly. I will respectfully just have to disagree with yours.

Perhaps we could get Upton without losing Brentz, and we might both be happy. Also, I would not be happy if all we got was Upton, or if getting Upton precluded getting a solid top of the rotation top starting pitcher or a couple 2-3 slot types.

I would rather try and sign Torii Hunter to play LF on a 2yr deal. Hes still a .290 hitter and brings the kind of leadership this team needs. Cody Ross has produced better than Upton this year and id rather have him in RF until Brentz is ready. Hes a better clubhouse guy as well.

I'd rather have Ross than Hunter, but I am hoping you are not calling him better than Upton based on one season whereby Ross has hyper-inflated stats due to the Fenway factor.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And Brentz is the one who will do it IMO...Moon, I have trouble giving up a bunch of prospects for a RF'er who, by the numbers, has been inconsistent.

Again, I wouldn't call Upton's track record "inconsistent". Other than this season's injury influenced season, Justin has been remarkably consistent by staying between a .799 and .899 OPS for 4 straight years between ages 20 and 23. This is in the majors! Not the minors! .799 to .899 from ages 20 to 23.  At age 19, in the minors, he had a .961 OPS.  This is the only season, he has been below .799 overall.  That is not "inconsistent". It is the opposite. There is every reason in the world to expect .850-1.000+ OPS over the next 3 years.

While it is hard to compare Brentz to Upton, since Bryce entered the minors at age 21 and Upton entered the majors at 19/20, one could easily make the argument that Brentz has been more "inconsistent" than Upton:

If we were to give away such a haul of prospects, as your suggesting, it should be for a player with a better track record or through a couple prime years. he would be leaving Boston at age 28, the START of his prime. 28-32.

Actually, most offensive players have their "prime years" from 27-29, especially those who entered the majors before age 23-24.

While I generally agree, we still need a "franchise" type everyday player as well, and I don't like the idea of signing Hamilton as the alternative.

I understand your thinking and the basis of your arguement and agree with it, but disagree on who we would be selling the future for and the lack of years we have him for. We can get a .270 hitter with a .345 OBP Rf'er who K's about 130 times a year for less. Is he the under .789OPS guy or the .898 one? Never once has been over .900 OPS in his career...I'll Pass.

How many 24 year olds have had two solid .898 to  .899 OPS seasons under their belt? His "off season" in 2010 still saw a .356 OBP and 47 extra base hits in 495 ABs. He's also had 18-21 SBs in the 3 those years.

I will just let this be my last comment on the subject as we have both stated our sides thouroughly. I will respectfully just have to disagree with yours.

Perhaps we could get Upton without losing Brentz, and we might both be happy. Also, I would not be happy if all we got was Upton, or if getting Upton precluded getting a solid top of the rotation top starting pitcher or a couple 2-3 slot types.

I would rather try and sign Torii Hunter to play LF on a 2yr deal. Hes still a .290 hitter and brings the kind of leadership this team needs. Cody Ross has produced better than Upton this year and id rather have him in RF until Brentz is ready. Hes a better clubhouse guy as well.

I'd rather have Ross than Hunter, but I am hoping you are not calling him better than Upton based on one season whereby Ross has hyper-inflated stats due to the Fenway factor.

[/QUOTE]

I would not call Ross or Hunter better than Upton at this point, not at all what im saying. I also believe that fenway would also inflate Uptons stats, but as a Sox fan is that really a bad thing :) I also think, as Ive said before, that if the Sox did go after Upton they could do it without giving up Brentz. My next issue with obtaining Upton is Towers WILL want 1 or 2 (my guess is 2) of Barnes/De La Rosa/Webster/Owens/. Nevermind the Brentz arguement. Do you think only 3 yrs of Upton is worth 2 top pitching prospects when are weakest link is the starting rotation, not offense? The the question is, which 2 do you try and protect? If I had to choose, Id let them take Owens and Webster...

Who do you think Towers will ask for? Your suggesting 6 players. If you were towers which 6 would YOU want?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would not call Ross or Hunter better than Upton at this point, not at all what im saying. I also believe that fenway would also inflate Uptons stats, but as a Sox fan is that really a bad thing :) I also think, as Ive said before, that if the Sox did go after Upton they could do it without giving up Brentz. My next issue with obtaining Upton is Towers WILL want 1 or 2 (my guess is 2) of Barnes/De La Rosa/Webster/Owens/. Nevermind the Brentz arguement. Do you think only 3 yrs of Upton is worth 2 top pitching prospects when are weakest link is the starting rotation, not offense? The the question is, which 2 do you try and protect? If I had to choose, Id let them take Owens and Webster...

Who do you think Towers will ask for? Your suggesting 6 players. If you were towers which 6 would YOU want?

I need the edit button back...

[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1st round of the playoff best of five, Pawsox took the game 1 against the Yankees minor league team Scranton.  Brentz hit his first AAA homerun (2R) to seal the win last night.  Linares and Andy LaRoche also homered.  We have good chance to see Brentz in 2013 season. 

[/QUOTE]

I don't see Sands or Brentz having a huge impact next season in the bigs.  They both have similar talent but my guess is Sands won't come close to the same numbers for the Pawsox, as he did for Albuquerque etc.  I could be wrong but Brentz may eventually have the better plate discipline at the big league level.

It will be interesting to see who develops into the better ballplayer. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Do you think only 3 yrs of Upton is worth 2 top pitching prospects when are weakest link is the starting rotation, not offense?

Yes by a long shot.

I'd try not to give Barnes, but I'd give all the other three for Upton: Webster, de la Rosa & Owens. I might throw in Jacobs or Hassan too.

Just because these guys might be among our top pitching prospects, doesn't mean they are even close to being sure bets at being quality starters for us.

My guess is that AZ would want some offense in return. We have some blocked prospects, so maybe we coulkd get Upton for:

1 of Webster, de la Rosa or Owens

1 of Tazawa, Bard or Melancon

Cecchini

1 of Nava, Sweeney, Hassan, Jacobs or Lin (OF).

1 of Coyle, Vinicio, or Lin (SS)

(Perhaps this is just wishful thinking on my part.)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

Do you think only 3 yrs of Upton is worth 2 top pitching prospects when are weakest link is the starting rotation, not offense?

Yes by a long shot.

I'd try not to give Barnes, but I'd give all the other three for Upton: Webster, de la Rosa & Owens. I might throw in Jacobs or Hassan too.

Just because these guys might be among our top pitching prospects, doesn't mean they are even close to being sure bets at being quality starters for us.

My guess is that AZ would want some offense in return. We have some blocked prospects, so maybe we coulkd get Upton for:

Cecchini

[/QUOTE]

I could be wrong Moon, but i thought i remember Towers wanting an MLB ready starter and another top starter from someones system. thats why i said what I said. Hes going to want the Moon (no pun intended) for Upton. Maybe he bites on some of our blocked guys. Cecchini, other than the pitchers you name would be the only other name that intices me from your list if I were a GM.

Ok, Ill play along and pretend Im Towers...Now, Im dealing a franchise player (not my words) who under control at a very reasonable rate for the next 3 years.

I would start out asking for Bogaerts, since my best shortstop is John Macdonald. I would ask For Barnes and either Webster/de La rosa for more RHP to balance out Skaggs, Miley and Corbin (all young LHP). Id want Brentz to possibly replace Upton since Parra and graham arent exactly making me feel all warm and fuzzy. Then Kuery de la Cruz/Cecchini for another young talent .

I would return Upton and maybe an Evan marshall or David Holmburg.

Thats a 5-2 deal... You suggested 6-1 and i said 3 or 4 -1. So I made it 5-2..Thoughts?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yes by a long shot.

Cecchini

[/QUOTE]

I could be wrong Moon, but i thought i remember Towers wanting an MLB ready starter and another top starter from someones system. thats why i said what I said. Hes going to want the Moon (no pun intended) for Upton. Maybe he bites on some of our blocked guys. Cecchini, other than the pitchers you name would be the only other name that intices me from your list if I were a GM.

Ok, Ill play along and pretend Im Towers...Now, Im dealing a franchise player (not my words) who under control at a very reasonable rate for the next 3 years.

I would start out asking for Bogaerts, since my best shortstop is John Macdonald. I would ask For Barnes and either Webster/de La rosa for more RHP to balance out Skaggs, Miley and Corbin (all young LHP). Id want Brentz to possibly replace Upton since Parra and graham arent exactly making me feel all warm and fuzzy. Then Kuery de la Cruz/Cecchini for another young talent .

Thats a 5-2 deal... You suggested 6-1 and i said 3 or 4 -1. So I made it 5-2..Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

Maybe even a Ryan Wheeler because i think the Sox could insert him immediatly at 1b.
     Actually, I think hes a better deal for the Sox than getting another pitcher. Anyway, just a few possibilities...

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I would not give Barnes and Bogaerts for Upton... maybe Brentz or Bradley with 2 of: Webster, Owens, Ranaudo or de la Rosa.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Softy, the day I take your advice on any player or prospect Ill quickly check myself in to the nearest mental institution...You know NOTHING about prospects...and have proved that over and over again...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Softy, the day I take your advice on any player or prospect Ill quickly check myself in to the nearest mental institution...You know NOTHING about prospects...and have proved that over and over again...

[/QUOTE]

It's not just prospects he knows little about. He has several blindspots:

1) No NL pitcher that has never proven himself in the AL can ever be an effective pitcher in the AL East.

2) No knuckleball or "junkball" pitcher can ever be an asset.

3) Offering $1M contracts to several players that end up signing elsewhere for $4M+ has basically been his staff rebuilding plan for over 3 years.

4) Improving the staff starts with firing "Cherry".

5) Sox pitchers should never be expected to win their fair share of low scoring games.

6) If our offense does not score early and often, our starters are not expected to win.

7) Bard pitched "decently" this year as a starter.

8) A 5.00 ERA was reason enough to create hundreds of Wake-bashing threads, but now that our whole starting staff is over 5.00, our biggest weakness is hitting NOt pitching.

9) Nick Johnson, Ben Sheets, Kotchman, Lugo, Crisp, JD Drew, DMac, B Hall, Oki, etc...

10) "CC should be our leadoff hitter and Jake should be our 4th OF'er"   -Spring '11.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I think before we go trading the farm for Justin Upton or anyone else not named Felix Hernandez we should probably ask some A's fans how they like the "farm scraps" they've picked up from the Red Sox lately. Maybe I'm just too old to participate in these discussions as I don't know and have little interest in learning the advanced metrics used by fangraphs etc., but I remember a time when the Sox were regularly bringing up guys from the farm like Jim Rice, Dwight Evans, Rick Miller, Glenn Hoffman and Wade Boggs. I miss those days a little bit. Historically the Red Sox have always developed great hitters, and it looks like we might be getting back to that. So before we go into panic mode looking for offense, why not see what we have in Pawtucket? I'd be perfectly fine with an infield of Middlebrooks, Ciriaco, Pedroia and Gomez with some combination of Ross, Nava, Ellsbury, Brentz, Linares, Podsednik, Sweeney and Kalish in the outfield next year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think before we go trading the farm for Justin Upton or anyone else not named Felix Hernandez we should probably ask some A's fans how they like the "farm scraps" they've picked up from the Red Sox lately. Maybe I'm just too old to participate in these discussions as I don't know and have little interest in learning the advanced metrics used by fangraphs etc., but I remember a time when the Sox were regularly bringing up guys from the farm like Jim Rice, Dwight Evans, Rick Miller, Glenn Hoffman and Wade Boggs. I miss those days a little bit. Historically the Red Sox have always developed great hitters, and it looks like we might be getting back to that. So before we go into panic mode looking for offense, why not see what we have in Pawtucket? I'd be perfectly fine with an infield of Middlebrooks, Ciriaco, Pedroia and Gomez with some combination of Ross, Nava, Ellsbury, Brentz, Linares, Podsednik, Sweeney and Kalish in the outfield next year.

[/QUOTE]

So because we traded a guy who now has a .791 OPS with the A's, we should never trade a prospect again?

I sure wish we had Navarro, Weiland, Hagadone and others back...

Do you wish we'd traded Lars before his stock fell...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So because we traded a guy who now has a .791 OPS with the A's, we should never trade a prospect again?

I sure wish we had Navarro, Weiland, Hagadone and others back...

Do you wish we'd traded Lars before his stock fell...

[/QUOTE]Maybe I just think Upton is overrated. I'm not saying we should never trade any prospect, but I would like to see a team that is more homegrown than not. I just find it easier to root for guys who came up through the farm system than a bunch of hired guns. Most of my favorite Red Sox are guys that came up with the Red Sox, with Ortiz being an obvious exception. Then again maybe I don't like Upton because softy has been so hot to bring him in.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

That is reason enough to think twice.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Although i have some valid points about this Upton discussion, maybe subconsciously it has something to do with softhead wanting him so badly too  o.O

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He's not a sure bet, but at his age, it seems he should improve. If that happens, he'd be afranchise type player.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Surprised no one has commented on the Dodgers starting pitcher yesterday who has made 4 appearances with the Dodgers in the last two weeks. A former RS and Sea Dogs farmhand, Stephen Fife, a  26 year old R hander, I think part of the three way trade last year--we got Erik Bedard. He has made four starts, thrown 21.2 with a 2.49 ERA , no decisions. Interesting they're in a pennant race--he's pitching as well if not better than Beckett.

Is there a reason Tazawa is not starting a game or two down the stretch or that after Tuesday we don't give Brentz a look or Linares or move Ciriaco to his natural position of SS and give Valencia another look at third with Gomez playing 1 B the rest of the way?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Surprised no one has commented on the Dodgers starting pitcher yesterday who has made 4 appearances with the Dodgers in the last two weeks. A former RS and Sea Dogs farmhand, Stephen Fife, a  26 year old R hander, I think part of the three way trade last year--we got Erik Bedard. He has made four starts, thrown 21.2 with a 2.49 ERA , no decisions. Interesting they're in a pennant race--he's pitching as well if not better than Beckett.

Is there a reason Tazawa is not starting a game or two down the stretch or that after Tuesday we don't give Brentz a look or Linares or move Ciriaco to his natural position of SS and give Valencia another look at third with Gomez playing 1 B the rest of the way?

[/QUOTE]Brentz and Linares aren't on the 40 man roster, so a coup;e of moves would need to be made for each guy to bring them up to Boston.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I would like to see Brentz for a couple of games...Shouldnt be too hard to switch a couple players to make that happen.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The Sox could move both Ortiz and Middlebrooks from the 15 day DL to the 60 day DL as long as they haven't been on the 60 prior to for the same injury. That would allow them to add, EX., both Brentz and Linares or two others to the 40 man roster.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Exactly MM...I was saying the same thing in another thread I started, which has since gone to the back pages, about our 40-man roster and the potential moves to make some room for a couple kids.

As you can see here lately, Ive been expressing my enthusiasm for Brentz. I dont do this with a lot of our prospects, but theres a lot about this kid that has got me looking forward to seeing him become a major league ballplayer for the Sox.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Southpaw I agree re. Brentz and I have seen your positive comments.

For those interested in watching Brentz and  don't want to wait for the Arizona Fall League season to see him--Tuesday nights one game final vs. the Aces, the Diamondbacks AAA team, will be played in Durham.   In  Mid Coast Maine, Portland to Rockland, you can get the game on Time Warner Cable--Ch. 749--NBCSP--game time 7 PM.

The Aces will start Trevor Bauer 12-2, 2.42 ERA vs. Nelson Figueroa, 12-5. 3.89 combined ERA for the Scranton Yankees and the PawSox this season.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Another great Theo draft pick...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

So, Brentz is a "pipedream", because Softy doesn't like him?

Wow!

.791 OPS isn't such a great feat, it's FIFTH on his own team! That would have ranked SIXTH on the Red Sox, four points behind Mauro Gomez!

Especially when Reddick is hitting.200 with runners on base, .214 w/RISP and .100 with bases loaded.

Sorry, everyone looks at one number with Reddick, instead of any other stats. Plus, it'sa easier to play in Oakland than Boston, where he'd never have succeeded, based on his choking with men on base for the past two seasons.