Pawtucket Updates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Pawtucket Updates

If anyone didn't hear about Weiland's performance, here's his line from Wednesday and also a nice article about it:

IP 8
    H  1
    ER 0
    BB 0
    K 12
    ERA down to 3.02

http://danhoard.mlblogs.com/2011/06/30/a-buchholz-like-performance-by-kyle-weiland/

Also, nice game tonight from Lavarnway as he went 3-5 with an HR, boosting his average up to .333

Middlebrooks also came back from his injury tonight and had a good game for the Sea Dogs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Re: Pawtucket Updates

I'm not surprised Lavarnway is hitting so well but I'd love to see an honest assessment of how far his defense has progressed.  Does it look like he's capable of being a legit MLB starting catcher in the next yr or 2??

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Pawtucket Updates:
    [QUOTE]I'm not surprised Lavarnway is hitting so well but I'd love to see an honest assessment of how far his defense has progressed.  Does it look like he's capable of being a legit MLB starting catcher in the next yr or 2??
    Posted by siestafiesta[/QUOTE]

from what ive read and heard, his defense is still a work in progress but with solid improvement so far this year..The yale kid should be fine..A hard worker and shows consistent improvement. We might have a winner here...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Pawtucket Updates:
    [QUOTE]If anyone didn't hear about Weiland's performance, here's his line from Wednesday and also a nice article about it: IP 8 H  1 ER 0 BB 0 K 12 ERA down to 3.02 http://danhoard.mlblogs.com/2011/06/30/a-buchholz-like-performance-by-kyle-weiland/ Also, nice game tonight from Lavarnway as he went 3-5 with an HR, boosting his average up to .333 Middlebrooks also came back from his injury tonight and had a good game for the Sea Dogs.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

ADG, Lavarnway and Lin are my two favorites.  Ryan can flat out hit and Lin can hit and play some great D.  If Weiland can continue to shine I'm sure he will also be on the short list who are called up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Pawtucket Updates : ADG, Lavarnway and Lin are my two favorites.  Ryan can flat out hit and Lin can hit and play some great D.  If Weiland can continue to shine I'm sure he will also be on the short list who are called up.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

wasnt wieland in the bullpen a couple years ago?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pawtucket Updates : wasnt wieland in the bullpen a couple years ago?
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

I honstly have not followed Wieland southpaw, you could be right.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pawtucket Updates : I honstly have not followed Wieland southpaw, you could be right.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

yeah, I just checked..He started being converted into a starter in 08 with 10 starts then 25 and 26 in 09-10..He was a closer at Notre dame..

http://soxprospects.com/players/weiland-kyle.htm

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pawtucket Updates : yeah, I just checked..He started being converted into a starter in 08 with 10 starts then 25 and 26 in 09-10..He was a closer at Notre dame.. http://soxprospects.com/players/weiland-kyle.htm
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

Hey, any good young upcoming pitcher is worth watching, especially if Lackey ends up like Dice and needing surgery.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Considering the cost of getting Adrian Gonzalez the farm system looks well stocked.Doubront, Weiland, ready or close, with Ranaudo, Britton & Pimental coming; although latter two struggling w' control at present.

Plenty of young developing outfielders, and a STUD catching prospect.

Oh yeah, and some dark horse shortstop vacuum cleaner glove, what's his name ?? LOL.
    Wishing Ryan Westmoreland Godspeed with his recovery.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Considering the cost of getting Adrian Gonzalez the farm system looks well stocked.Doubront, Weiland, ready or close, with Ranaudo, Britton & Pimental coming; although latter two struggling w' control at present. Plenty of young developing outfielders, and a STUD catching prospect. Oh yeah, and some dark horse shortstop vacuum cleaner glove, what's his name ?? LOL. Wishing Ryan Westmoreland Godspeed with his recovery.
    Posted by jimedfred[/QUOTE]

Many have forgotten about Wetmoreland but I totally agree pal.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Considering the cost of getting Adrian Gonzalez the farm system looks well stocked.Doubront, Weiland, ready or close, with Ranaudo, Britton & Pimental coming; although latter two struggling w' control at present.
    Plenty of young developing outfielders, and a STUD catching prospect.
    Oh yeah, and some dark horse shortstop vacuum cleaner glove, what's his name ?? LOL.
    Wishing Ryan Westmoreland Godspeed with his recovery.

I think that Doubront has regressed this year. Was hoping he made that next step to solving AAA but still don't see it. Sorry to see he did not report to camp in shape, and is still not in tip top.
    I am not sure that Iglesias is ever going to hit enough to play at Fenway?

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Pimental is having a terrible year. I dont think he got out of the 3rd inning, in his last 4 or 5 starts. Fife has more upside at this point. Game I saw Pimental pitch he really got lit up, lasted a third of an inning gave up 7 runs, with 2 HRS. Portland came back to win, Larvanway and Chiang (watch out for this kid),had a big game, before call up.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

The kid (Pimentel) is only 21 y/o in his first season in AA.  Some struggles had to be expected (though certainly not a 9+ ERA).  His ceiling is still what it was after last season, it just depends on how he bounces back.  It's best to have prospects face adversity while they're still in the minors, so you can see how they handle before dealing with adversity at the major league level.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

I think the jury is still out on the Sox minor league system.  I see several potential big leaguers but nobody that blows me away as a budding star.